The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

If I was about to become an unrestricted free agent....I'd want to showcase myself in the best possible way. And that DOES NOT include going down on a sinking ship where my mistakes are magnified. I'd want to make a playoff push. Wallin has always performed MUCH better in the playoffs than he has in the regular season. So, is he planning on retiring this summer? It sure sounds like it. Also sounds like he's content with the money he has. He could make a decent salary for one more year, maybe two if he wanted it. Sounds like he doesn't have any desire.....but that's just my opinion. And this holds true for any soon to be UFA he would rather sink with this club than swim into the playoffs. As a prospective hiring GM...that would be a major red flag for me.

Many here, me included, have had the opinion that Nicky would play through this contract and then move back to Sweden.  He's made it clear in the past (by not waiving his NTC) that he wasn't interested in living in another city.  It's pretty much accepted that J.R. had to really work on him to get him to sign his last contract and the NTC was surely a big part of that.  He can go to Sweden and play hockey too and make a decent salary there.

Maybe he was open to the idea of a trade if he got the deal that he couldn't refuse.  Everybody has a price.

It's not a coincidence nobody squawked up about his NTC until now.  Like someones said earlier, its only an issue when you are a seller.  I didn't think we would get anything appreciable for Nic, but a second round pick would have been okay by me.  Seeing him retire a Cane is okay too.  Who knows, he may be moved yet.

It it were east coast team he may be more interested, Would you go to CA for 3 months. Like most, I would like to see him retire here be it this year, next,?, his choice, he has earned that I believe

It it were east coast team he may be more interested, Would you go to CA for 3 months. Like most, I would like to see him retire here be it this year, next,?, his choice, he has earned that I believe

If he said he was willing under the original agreement, yeah, I think he would go to CA.

My opinion - keep the "core," which has been discussed and most if not all the young guys.. dump salary, pick up prospects whatever.. this team needs a facelift.  Go hard after Kovalchuk in the offseason (imagine him paired with Staal).. give him a 4-6 year max deal and we'll see where the team takes us.. we have a bright future, but we're still in need of a guy that can play with Staal aka another superstar (pens have Malkin/Crosby.. Caps have OV/Semin/others).  Its similar to Kobe wanting to leave the lakers a few years back when there was no talent around him.. the way the East is stockpiling, I don't see us getting past Pens, Caps, Devils without another star or even winning a SE division title (that should be our goal EVERY YEAR- to compete with Washington for division banner).  Take the high draft pick, develop young guys, get a bit more help on the backend (keep Gleas, Joni, Alberts), add a Star/Superstar and we're ready to roll out some solid lines next year and cause some damage.  My two cents. If we dump salary we spent on Cole, LaRose, Rod, Sams, A.Ward, etc we may have cap space to do it

Whitney  & (Draft Pick) - Young Player or Prospect  & (Draft Pick)

Cullen & (Draft Pick) - Young Player or Prospect  & (Draft Pick)

Corvo & (Draft Pick) - Young Player or Prospect  & (Draft Pick)

Wallin & (Draft Pick) - Young Player or Prospect & (Draft Pick)

Ward  - (Draft Pick)

Yelle - (Draft Pick)

Walker - (Draft Pick)

Legace - (Draft Pick)

Brindamour (Has one year left on contract) - Liles (Has two years left on contract )

Samsonov (Has one year left on contract)  - Tucker (Contract is up at the end of the year)

Tucker - (Draft Pick)

Sign a couple of free agents in the off season (Seidenberg/Bourque)…

According to John and Tripp tonight, maybe the Wallin-San Jose trade possibility isn't over.. interesting.. Also, at the VERY end of the program tonight, while the guys were walking back to the dressing room, I could see Wallin in the way back of the room. He appeared with all smiles, so thats good.

According to John and Tripp tonight, maybe the Wallin-San Jose trade possibility isn't over.. interesting.. Also, at the VERY end of the program tonight, while the guys were walking back to the dressing room, I could see Wallin in the way back of the room. He appeared with all smiles, so thats good.
No doubt something is still going on.  With all the jockeying for an edge that happens in a trade it is often difficult to tell what the situation is. With Nic not playing tonight I would guess the on again, off again, maybe on again trade could still happen and if not with the Sharks possible another team.

With peters having a good Debut, think this may put Legace in play for a Playoff team looking for a Back up with Cup experience

Pheonix, colorado, kings etc etc may want to have that as a back up, and i'd send him in a heartbeat and feature him some this week

With peters having a good Debut, think this may put Legace in play for a Playoff team looking for a Back up with Cup experience

Pheonix, colorado, kings etc etc may want to have that as a back up, and i'd send him in a heartbeat and feature him some this week

I have no problem with that...I wasn't too solid on signing Legace in the first place. 

Here's a long shot, but it would be awesome if it worked...Marty Turco is gonna be a UFA after this season.  He's probably closing in on the twilight of his career...what about sending Whitney & Wallin and a low prospect to the Stars now in exchange for Turco in the offseason?  Cam gets a veteran backup...and we wouldn't have to deal with Legace's shakiness anymore.

[quote name='AWACSooner wrote:

canes-in-7']With peters having a good Debut, think this may put Legace in play for a Playoff team looking for a Back up with Cup experience

I have no problem with that...I wasn't too solid on signing Legace in the first place. 

Here's a long shot, but it would be awesome if it worked...Marty Turco is gonna be a UFA after this season.  He's probably closing in on the twilight of his career...what about sending Whitney & Wallin and a low prospect to the Stars now in exchange for Turco in the offseason?  Cam gets a veteran backup...and we wouldn't have to deal with Legace's shakiness anymore.

Turcos easily one of the top 10 netminders in the league, so first of all he's not going to get moved for that little offer and secondly the man's a starter not a backup and would never resign here to play backup even if for some reason the Stars gm took your offer.

Secondly, what shakiness in Legace? He's our winningest backup in a long time. Storr, Graham, Leighton.... those are shaky backups.

Is this a rumors thread or an armchair GM thread?

It's a rumors thread.  To get the train back on it's track, here is the latest Whitney blah, blah, blah from Spectors.  It's not much but it's something while we waiting...

:Pierre LeBrun reports the following: Pittsburgh and Philadelphiacertainly fit the bill as potential destinations for veteran scoringwinger Ray Whitney but the earliest the Penguins could afford Whitney'scap hit is the March 3rd deadline. Flyers coach Peter Laviolettecoached Whitney in Carolina and knows what he can do. LeBrun howeversuggests the Hurricanes might not move Whitney if he can't get the dealhe wants, as the winger already invoked his movement clause to block atrade to the LA Kings...If the Panthers fall out of the playoff racedefensemen Dennis Seidenberg and Jordan Leopold - both pending UFAs -could be available, while the club is shopping forwards Rostislav Oleszand Kamil Kreps. They won't however move goalie Tomas Vokoun but couldrevisit that situation in June...the Red Wings cleared salary onSaturday for returning forward Johan Franzen by trading Ville Leino butcould still have to move more salary when Andreas Lilja is ready toreturn to action...A source claims the Colorado Avalanche are shoppingMarek Svatos, who might be a nice consolation prize for the teams whichlose out on the bidding for Whitney...

SPECTOR'S NOTE: It all comes down to cap space for thePenguins and Flyers. If there's no wiggle room there's no way theycould take on Whitney...The Panthers certainly are on the bubble andthis week could determine their trade status by the deadline...It'spossible the Wings could try to demote Brad May to free up cap spacefor Lilja but one shouldn't rule out another little cost-cuttingdeal...The injury-plagued Svatos'
so he wouldn't be much of a consolation prize.

And here is more on Wallin:

S:Len Ziehm reports a TSN report claimed the Blackhawks might haveinterest in Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Andrej Meszaros but to landhim the report suggests they'd have to part with Patrick Sharp, KrisVersteeg or Cam Barker. Other possibilities could include Carolina'sNiclas Wallin, LA's Sean O'Donnell or Anaheim's Scott Niedermayer.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Of this list I'd suggest the one theymight have the best chance of landing is Wallin. The Bolts have wonseven of their last ten and currently sit seventh overall in the verytight Eastern Conference playoff race so they're probably unwilling topart with Meszaros at this time. O'Donnell's been a mentor to DrewDoughty and given the Kings strong play of late they're unlikely tomove him, while Anaheim GM Bob Murray keeps insisting he won't moveNiedermayer. The Hurricanes meanwhile are shopping Wallin, although hisno-trade clause has made it very difficult to get a deal done.

SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS:David Pollak reports the Sharks and Carolina Hurricanes have reneweddiscussions over a potential trade of Hurricanes defenseman NiclasWallins, who invoked his "no-trade" clause this past week to scuttle atrade attempt between the two clubs.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Interesting, wonder what's changed tokeep the two sides talking?  Hopefully we'll find out more in the verynear future.

Spectors 2-7

Spectors 2-7 pt 2

Turcos easily one of the top 10 netminders in the league, so first of all he's not going to get moved for that little offer and secondly the man's a starter not a backup and would never resign here to play backup even if for some reason the Stars gm took your offer.

Secondly, what shakiness in Legace? He's our winningest backup in a long time. Storr, Graham, Leighton.... those are shaky backups.

Compared to, say, Tuukka Rask in Boston or Halak in Montreal or even Jimmy Howard in Detroit, Legace is definitely not a solid backup goalie anymore (maybe I'm severely biased cause of how he became a total prima donna in St. Louis last year).

Turco is past the prime of his career.  He's got a good backup in Alex Auld, who Joe Nieuwendyk is grooming to be the main goalie next season...but he's beginning to show his age.  I think, at this point, it would be good for him to move to another organization and be a mentor backup goalie (like Ron Tugnutt was to him).  Yah, it's a total long-shot and a pipe dream, but hey, stranger things have happened.  I remember reading the boards a year ago at the shock and bewilderment when we got Jokinen...having seen him in Dallas before he got sent to Tampa in the Brad Richards trade, I knew you guys had a diamond in the rough.  pimp.gif

[quote name='AWACSooner wrote:

legend-1']Turcos easily one of the top 10 netminders in the league, so first of all he's not going to get moved for that little offer and secondly the man's a starter not a backup and would never resign here to play backup even if for some reason the Stars gm took your offer.

Compared to, say, Tuukka Rask in Boston or Halak in Montreal or even Jimmy Howard in Detroit, Legace is definitely not a solid backup goalie anymore (maybe I'm severely biased cause of how he became a total prima donna in St. Louis last year).

Turco is past the prime of his career.  He's got a good backup in Alex Auld, who Joe Nieuwendyk is grooming to be the main goalie next season...but he's beginning to show his age.  I think, at this point, it would be good for him to move to another organization and be a mentor backup goalie (like Ron Tugnutt was to him).  Yah, it's a total long-shot and a pipe dream, but hey, stranger things have happened.  I remember reading the boards a year ago at the shock and bewilderment when we got Jokinen...having seen him in Dallas before he got sent to Tampa in the Brad Richards trade, I knew you guys had a diamond in the rough.  pimp.gif

We definitely aren't looking at the same things here.  A backup goalie in Carolina is only going to play maybe 15 games a year as long as Cam is healthy.  J.R. is not going to break the bank on a backup goalie.  I couldn't have been happier than when Legace was signed to play here.  Graham was a bust, and a $2 mil a year bust at that.  Leighton either didn't have the concentration to do the job here or he didn't get enough work to stay sharp (not going to argue that here).  Two years ago when Leight's was signed I didn't like the young backup approach and was all for a solid veteran.  Legace is just that.  He's been nothing near a prima donna here. 

Yes, J.R. needs to be making trades but goalie is not one of the areas he needs to be working on. 

Media trade rumors = http://fans.hurricanes.nh...orum/topicreply/id/15895

Playing GM = http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/topic/6939

Anymore playing GM posts will be moved over to the GM thread.

Are we to just ignore any post that isn't strictly "on topic"?

I'll respond when I desire and I guess it's up to you guys to move it around as you see fit.  These topics are pretty entertwined.  It's hard to discuss trades and rumors without going into what the needs are.    

If you want to be technical about it, your post about us being off topic has nothing to do with trade rumors and therefore is "off topic". 

Are we to just ignore any post that isn't strictly "on topic"?

No, as a courtesy to rest of the board most people would suggest moving the OT discussion to an appropriate thread.  Especially when its been pointed out and requested by other members to bring the thread back on topic.

I'll respond when I desire and I guess it's up to you guys to move it around as you see fit.  These topics are pretty entertwined.  It's hard to discuss trades and rumors without going into what the needs are. 

You can respond however you desire but if your responses consistently don't follow the rules of the community and blatantly disrespect your fellow posters, you won't be posting here much longer. 

If you want to be technical about it, your post about us being off topic has nothing to do with trade rumors and therefore is "off topic".

If you have a real problem with the community rules or respecting your fellow members, I suggest you file a written complaint.

Sent  two defensemen to the minors today, according to the ticker on the NHL Network.  Wonder if that is a forerunner to the Wallin deal being finalized.