The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

[quote name='Hurricanes_kaAdmin wrote:

super-dave-1']

Are we to just ignore any post that isn't strictly "on topic"?

No, as a courtesy to rest of the board most people would suggest moving the OT discussion to an appropriate thread.  Especially when its been pointed out and requested by other members to bring the thread back on topic.

I'll respond when I desire and I guess it's up to you guys to move it around as you see fit.  These topics are pretty entertwined.  It's hard to discuss trades and rumors without going into what the needs are. 

You can respond however you desire but if your responses
consistently don't follow the rules of the community and blatantly disrespect your fellow posters, you won't be posting here much longer.

If you want to be technical about it, your post about us being off topic has nothing to do with trade rumors and therefore is "off topic".

If you have a real problem with the community rules or respecting your fellow members, I suggest you file a written complaint.

What blatant disrespect and why the threat of not posting here much longer?  I don't have a problem at all.  It seems like it's others that have the problems and they always end up with a public chastising by one of the mods.  

This has been dealt with via private message. The next post by someone other then a staff member that is not on topic will result in an immediate suspension.

Ref107

Site Admin

I know it was likely a very tough decision for him to make but, in the end, I believe it'll prove to be the right decision.  This shows that Rutherford is serious about wanting to re-build this roster and fix recent mistakes.  A second-round draft pick, that could potentially be used to maneuver up on draft day, is a nice first step towards that goal.

Now, let's see what he can turn Corvo, Cullen, Legace, Walker, A. Ward, Whitney, and Yelle into.

The Devils are looking at Matt Cullen according to TFP. Personally, I think this could have some real legs to it because A. they have seen him plenty over the years and are familiar with what he can do and B. he is a two way forward who can play a solid defensive game. Would hate to cheer for the Devils but if we can get another pick out of this that would be great!

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/njd100205.html

Other things worth noting is that JR is trying as hard as he can to move Whitney before the Olympic break and Boston is supposedly gonna make move in the next 48 hours, one of which could be for Whitney according to hockeybuzz.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Eks-MEGA-Notes-Sunday-Spectacular--The-Final-Week-Before-Deadline-1/1/26120

The Devils are looking at Matt Cullen according to TFP. Personally, I think this could have some real legs to it because A. they have seen him plenty over the years and are familiar with what he can do and B. he is a two way forward who can play a solid defensive game. Would hate to cheer for the Devils but if we can get another pick out of this that would be great!

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/njd100205.html

Looking at the numbers, the Devils have about 500k room under the cap.  We'd probably have to take some salary back to do a deal with them but that would probably sweeten the deal for us as they'd have to compensate somehow for that. 

Seidenberg could be trade bait... wonder what the possibility of us trying to reacquire him are (slim and none I know but JR likes to recycle)

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/fla100207.html

What would be the point of that?  We are not looking for rental players to come this way.  He's a UFA this summer, if we want him here next year we can do it without giving something up for him in a trade.  We certainly don't need him this year nor do we need his 2.25 million dollar salary.

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

cane-addict-1']Seidenberg could be trade bait... wonder what the possibility of us trying to reacquire him are (slim and none I know but JR likes to recycle)

What would be the point of that?  We are not looking for rental players to come this way.  He's a UFA this summer, if we want him here next year we can do it without giving something up for him in a trade.  We certainly don't need him this year nor do we need his 2.25 million dollar salary.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Seid's return but not by trade.  He may come back via free agency.  J.R. won't give up an asset for a rental.  We are sellers, not buyers.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

cane-addict-1']Seidenberg could be trade bait... wonder what the possibility of us trying to reacquire him are (slim and none I know but JR likes to recycle)

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Seid's return but not by trade.  He may come back via free agency.  J.R. won't give up an asset for a rental.  We are sellers, not buyers.

Isn't that what I said?  "He's a UFA this summer, if we want him here next year we can do it without giving something up for him in a trade."

Don't know what to make of the Whitney to Pittsburgh rumors but after today's game against the Caps the Penns may need to add some something to equalize.

I watched that game, and the Pens had to travel by bus, and did not reach DC until 2am........tired?

Of course we wont give up a prospect for Seids. But if we had something they wanted, he could be a return.  We would get the first go at signing him in the off season. Management has noted what happened when we moved guys like Seids last summer. Again, I know its a long shot but I wasnt implying we give up prospects for him.

Other things worth noting is that JR is trying as hard as he can to move Whitney before the Olympic break and Boston is supposedly gonna make move in the next 48 hours, one of which could be for Whitney according to hockeybuzz.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Eks-MEGA-Notes-Sunday-Spectacular--The-Final-Week-Before-Deadline-1/1/26120

Right now Boston isn't looking like a real contender. I don't see Whitney moving away from the family for a team that may or may not make the playoffs. If he waives, its to a true contender. I think he's going to Pittsburgh though. frown.gif

Of course we wont give up a prospect for Seids. But if we had something they wanted, he could be a return.  We would get the first go at signing him in the off season. Management has noted what happened when we moved guys like Seids last summer. Again, I know its a long shot but I wasnt implying we give up prospects for him.
Do you have a recent media link that indicates the Canes are interested? Otherwise there is no point in continuing this in this thread.  It would be a good candidate for the armchair GM thread.

[quote name='hockeybaby wrote:

coastal_caniac']Don't know what to make of the Whitney to Pittsburgh rumors but after today's game against the Caps the Penns may need to add some something to equalize.

I watched that game, and the Pens had to travel by bus, and did not reach DC until 2am........tired?

Tired maybe.  But  he Caps have scored 234 goals this year to the Pens 187.  If todays game was any indication of a season trend, the Pens might need some help to pot a few more goals.  Thats a big differential.  If I was a Caps fan I would worry about goaltending, but if I were a Pens fan I would like to see a little more offensive threat.  Just sayin...   

Cullen, Svatos available, but can they help?

Monday, February 8, 2010

Posted by Scott Burnside and Pierre LeBrun

Editor's note: There's the March 3 trade deadline, and then there's the Olympic roster freeze that runs from Feb. 12-28. Between now and Feb. 12, ESPN.com's Scott Burnside and Pierre LeBrun will look at 10 potential trade baits and which teams have a chance to land some much-needed help.

Matt Cullen and Marek Svatos

Scott Burnside: Well Pierre, the clock is ticking down to the Feb. 12 Olympic roster freeze, and as you reported Sunday, the Carolina Hurricanes finally got the Niclas Wallin deal done and sent the veteran defenseman to San Jose along with a 2010 fifth-round pick for a 2010 second-round draft pick.

But Carolina GM Jim Rutherford is still a busy man. He'd like to move forward Ray Whitney, as we've already discussed in this space. But the player I'm curious about is center Matt Cullen. One of the game's good guys, Cullen was part of the Canes' Stanley Cup squad in 2006, so he knows the ropes and is one of the few centers available on the market right now. He is comfortable playing the point on the power play and relatively inexpensive at $2.8 million with a slightly higher cap hit ($2.875 million). What say you maestro of the trade machinations?

Pierre LeBrun: You know, despite Cullen's impressive credentials, he's not a name I've heard very often in my conversations around the league. Perhaps that's an indication there's a bigger market for wingers than centers. I think Cullen would be a good fit in both Nashville and Phoenix; but as everyone knows, money is a problem with both franchises, and Carolina, as was the case Sunday, is not taking money back in any trade. Another name that surfaced this past weekend is Marek Svatos. He's an unrestricted free agent July 1, and a couple of sources say he's being shopped by Colorado. If Pittsburgh can't land a Whitney or an Alexei Ponikarovsky, wonder if Svatos wouldn't be a good consolation prize come March 3.

Burnside: Svatos' stock sure has fallen, hasn't it? He had 32 goals and was a part of the Slovak Olympic effort in 2006, and now has just nine points in 39 games for the Avs this season and is minus-11. Buying teams likely won't have to part with much to acquire the winger. But back to Cullen for a moment. Rutherford couldn't wait to get Cullen back to Carolina after he signed with the New York Rangers a couple of season ago, which speaks to his character and ability to fit into a dressing room. His abilities on the point would make him attractive to teams like the Rangers, who have struggled on the man advantage. Or how about the Atlanta Thrashers? GM Don Waddell insisted they'll be a buyer before March 3 if they can stay in the playoff hunt (they began the week one point out of eighth), and with Ilya Kovalchuk gone, there is a need to beef up the Thrashers' power play. Hmm.

Burnside: It's not really an issue with Cullen, who has 11 goals and 37 points, but for some GMs looking to add offense before the deadline, it really requires a leap of faith. Like almost every player in Edmonton, Moreau has fallen on hard times with just four goals, but as you point out, history shows he can be a productive player and he is a warrior. But is that enough to make a GM kick in a third- or fourth-round draft pick and the balance of his contract? That's the question.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4897183&name=nhl

Just Check Hockeybuzz.com and Thefourthperiod.com for any trading rumors..But does anyone have a link of what players the hurricanes are intrested in? becz ive seen many teams intrested in our players but nothing for who we are intrested in.

Just Check Hockeybuzz.com and Thefourthperiod.com for any trading rumors..But does anyone have a link of what players the hurricanes are intrested in? becz ive seen many teams intrested in our players but nothing for who we are intrested in.

We are not interested in players unless perhaps we are offered a young prospect for one of out vets.  We are sellers not buyers, that is why you are only seeing the sale ads for our guys.  JR has said he is focusing on draft picks which will possibly get flipped into something else in the off season. 

Here's some new stuff from hockeyleaks today:

The Vancouver Canucks are shopping one of their top prospects, Cory Schneider, in hopes of improving their defensive depth. The team would love a puck moving defenseman and would be willing to part with Schneider, who is NHL ready but stuck behind Luongo, to add one.

Teams possibly in the mix include Atlanta, Carolina and NYR.

Wallin was the first of many to go in Carolina.

Next up will be Ray Whitney, who wants a new contract wherever he goes. Boston, LA and Phoenix are the teams I'm hearing currently. The Canes want a first round pick OR a good prospect in return. The final deal will likely involve a first round pick and a mid-level prospect.

Matt Cullen is also very much available, and at this point I'd be surprised if Ottawa didn't acquire him. They've been talking to Carolina about Cullen for almost two months. The asking price is somewhere around a 2nd round pick.

With Cam Ward going down for the possibly the season, some wonder if Carolina will pick up a goalie to finish out the year. While it's possible, I expect them to finish the year with Legace and Peters.

I'm a little confused about something.. For a long time, JR was saying that just because he may trade someone now doesn't mean they won't be back this summer (talking about Whitney). But now, Whitney will most likely be getting a contract extension with the team he goes to? Did JR change his mind?

Here's some new stuff from hockeyleaks today:

The Vancouver Canucks are shopping one of their top prospects, Cory Schneider, in hopes of improving their defensive depth. The team would love a puck moving defenseman and would be willing to part with Schneider, who is NHL ready but stuck behind Luongo, to add one.

Teams possibly in the mix include Atlanta, Carolina and NYR.

Wallin was the first of many to go in Carolina.

Next up will be Ray Whitney, who wants a new contract wherever he goes. Boston, LA and Phoenix are the teams I'm hearing currently. The Canes want a first round pick OR a good prospect in return. The final deal will likely involve a first round pick and a mid-level prospect.

Matt Cullen is also very much available, and at this point I'd be surprised if Ottawa didn't acquire him. They've been talking to Carolina about Cullen for almost two months. The asking price is somewhere around a 2nd round pick.

With Cam Ward going down for the possibly the season, some wonder if Carolina will pick up a goalie to finish out the year. While it's possible, I expect them to finish the year with Legace and Peters.

That bit about Schneider seems a bit off.  Why would we pick up a prospect goalie who is making almost 1M to <get stuck behind Cam Ward>?  Especially when we have Peters and Murphy in the queue.  But it's interesting to hear something a little different anyway.  That's what rumors are for, to get people talking.

Talking for 2 months?  Sheesh.  I agree with that last paragraph, we don't need another goalie to finish out this year.  Legace and Peters are just fine for where we are at right now.

I'm a little confused about something.. For a long time, JR was saying that just because he may trade someone now doesn't mean they won't be back this summer (talking about Whitney). But now, Whitney will most likely be getting a contract extension with the team he goes to? Did JR change his mind?
What JR said is absolutely true.  Any UFA traded can come back.  But he never said anything about Whitney, that is speculation by fans.  It is not all in JR's hands, he may want Whitney back but maybe Whitney wants to test the waters elsewhere?  Who knows.  But remember, when it comes to these rumors, believe none of what you hear from speculators and half of what you hear from our own org.

All this talk about Whitney wanting a contract extension is coming from the details that were let out on the King's trade where he supposedly asked for a three year extension.  Who knows if he really wanted it, he may have used it to get them to say no to him without him having to say no to them.  Also everyone has a price, maybe he wants to stay here but if someone is willing to give him a really good multi-year contract then it's worth it for him to leave.  We can make up possibilities all day long.  Time will tell.  In the meantime just enjoy the speculation, we have no control over what happens in the end.  Why worry about it.