The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

I'm a little confused about something.. For a long time, JR was saying that just because he may trade someone now doesn't mean they won't be back this summer (talking about Whitney). But now, Whitney will most likely be getting a contract extension with the team he goes to? Did JR change his mind?
No, Whitney wants a 3 year contract. JR is probably not willing to do more than 2 years. Supposedly that is why the deal with the Kings fell apart.

anyway, 2 quick updates as the NHL is most definitely shifting into trade deadline mode now.

Gaborik's injury has caused the Rangers to really get serious, and I am told a deal is highly likely on Wedneday with either Florida (booth or horton), Edmonton (no name yet), Carolina ( Whitney) or Colorado (svatos/ liles)

speaking of Whitney.. The Kings are definitely back in on Ray.

anyway, 2 quick updates as the NHL is most definitely shifting into trade deadline mode now.

Gaborik's injury has caused the Rangers to really get serious, and I am told a deal is highly likely on Wedneday with either Florida (booth or horton), Edmonton (no name yet), Carolina ( Whitney) or Colorado (svatos/ liles)

I was reading the FL board last night and they seem to think there's a blockbuster deal about to go down with them and the Rangers (maybe they got it from Eklund too laugh.gif ).  Isn't Horton out indefinately with a broken leg?  Good luck to the Kings, I think Whitney has made it pretty clear that LA is not his first choice..

[quote name='TSA wrote:

Law-Dawg']anyway, 2 quick updates as the NHL is most definitely shifting into trade deadline mode now.

I was reading the FL board last night and they seem to think there's a blockbuster deal about to go down with them and the Rangers (maybe they got it from Eklund too laugh.gif ).  Isn't Horton out indefinately with a broken leg?  Good luck to the Kings, I think Whitney has made it pretty clear that LA is not his first choice..

They mentioned during the game last night that Horton should be ready after the Olymics are over. Lucky for them that they don't have to play without him during the Olymic break.  

It been eerily quiet the past few days in the rumor mill.  Must be the calm before the storm....

I was thinking the same thing. But will the storm come before or after the Olympics.

I don't know but with the way we have been playing, I would think JR is in a stronger position of power.  Especially concerning Cullen and Whitney who are slammin' it.   It probably better for him to wait and let them panic and fight it out.  I think there were a few teams who were still undecisive about being buyers or sellers based on this week's performance (ahem, Florida) that doesn't help.  But please -  SOMEBODY MAKE SOMETHING UP TO GIVE US SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT. 

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']It been eerily quiet the past few days in the rumor mill. 
Must be the calm before the storm....

I was thinking the same thing. But will the storm come before or after the Olympics.

Someone's been visiting the Sharks board laugh.gif

[quote name='TSA wrote:

OBXer wrote:

I'm seeing the Kings logo for him (not Sharks)...

[quote name='TSA wrote:

OBXer wrote:

mad.gif 

I don't know but with the way we have been playing, I would think JR is in a stronger position of power.  Especially concerning Cullen and Whitney who are slammin' it.   It probably better for him to wait and let them panic and fight it out.  I think there were a few teams who were still undecisive about being buyers or sellers based on this week's performance (ahem, Florida) that doesn't help.  But please -  SOMEBODY MAKE SOMETHING UP TO GIVE US SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT. 

Please don't, Im not interested in the great "OT" debate again.  Something will happen...just you wait and see.

[quote name='Stealth-ch1 wrote:

TSA wrote:

OBXer']I was thinking the same thing. But will the storm come before or after the Olympics.

Someone's been visiting the Sharks board
laugh.gif

OOPs thats what I meant.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

Stealth-ch1 wrote:

TSA']

Someone's been visiting the Sharks board
laugh.gif

OOPs thats what I meant.

Can't get rid of the darn thing this time.  Oh well at least it isn't the slug logo again.

(ok profile just updated. Now back to the trade rumors or lack there of.)

[quote name='TSA wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']I don't know but with the way we have been playing, I would think JR is in a stronger position of power.  Especially concerning Cullen and Whitney who are slammin' it.   It probably better for him to wait and let them panic and fight it out.  I think there were a few teams who were still undecisive about being buyers or sellers based on this week's performance (ahem, Florida) that doesn't help.  But please - 
SOMEBODY MAKE SOMETHING UP TO GIVE US SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT

Please don't, Im not interested in the great "OT" debate again.  Something will happen...just you wait and see.I was talking about the media, not someone on here. - And i was kidding but forgot a smiley.

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

TSA wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']I don't know but with the way we have been playing, I would think JR is in a stronger position of power.  Especially concerning Cullen and Whitney who are slammin' it.   It probably better for him to wait and let them panic and fight it out.  I think there were a few teams who were still undecisive about being buyers or sellers based on this week's performance (ahem, Florida) that doesn't help.  But please - 
SOMEBODY MAKE SOMETHING UP TO GIVE US SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT

Please don't, Im not interested in the great "OT" debate again.  Something will happen...just you wait and see.
I was talking about the media, not someone on here.

I knew what you meant, not to worry smile.gif

Eklund's latest

The Bruins and Sabres are in on Whitney. The Sabres may be the best fitas both Whitney and the Sabres want to extend him a few yearsimmediately.

Eklund's latest

The Bruins and Sabres are in on Whitney. The Sabres may be the best fit as both Whitney and the Sabres want to extend him a few years immediately.

Didn't Whitney call out the Buffalo fans on one of the team DVD's?  Or was that Kevyn Adams?  Not sure how that would work out for Whitney if he did say what I thought he did.  Although he is exactly what Buffalo needs right now.

Well Eklund did give Whitney to LA an (e4) today.

But everyone knows his gig so we can't be bothered to talk about it.  Perhaps tomorrow...

Oh god don't get me started on Eklund, he is the absolute worst.  There are some great articles about him on the internet and about how phony he is.  I wouldn't pay his blog much attention.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

OBXer']Eklund's latest

The Bruins and Sabres are in on Whitney. The Sabres may be the best fit as both Whitney and the Sabres want to extend him a few years immediately.

Didn't Whitney call out the Buffalo fans on one of the team DVD's?  Or was that Kevyn Adams?  Not sure how that would work out for Whitney if he did say what I thought he did.  Although he is exactly what Buffalo needs right now.

Yeah, that was Whitney... I hope this is just hot air, because I'd HATE to see someone I respect so much go to a team/organization/fanbase that I completely despise.  Especially with the possibility of a contract extension.

[quote name='jb_online wrote:

TSA wrote:

OBXer']Eklund's latest

Yeah, that was Whitney... I hope this is just hot air, because I'd HATE to see someone I respect so much go to a team/organization/fanbase that I completely despise.  Especially with the possibility of a contract extension.

I would be shocked if Whitney waived his NTC to go to Buffalo.  I think I recall him dissing Buffalo several times, Ask the Canes maybe?  I know I have heard it more than once.  Of course his is a very smart man and a lot of that is just to feed that fans.  But if it were to ever happen, I think you can guarantee he does it with no intentions of returning here because surely he knows we'd hunt him down and .....

[quote name='Appstatecanesfan wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']Well Eklund did give Whitney to LA an (e4) today.

But everyone knows his gig so we can't be bothered to talk about it.  Perhaps tomorrow...

Oh god don't get me started on Eklund, he is the absolute worst.  There are some great articles about him on the internet and about how phony he is.  I wouldn't pay his blog much attention.

Oh believe me I don't, but it's has some entertainment value non the less.  That was my point, he posted that today and nobody here thought enough about it to bother discussing it...

From Spectors today:

Latest on Marty Turco, Ray Whitney, Lee Stempniak and Rostislav Olesz, plus a Kings-Canadiens trade is rumored to be in the works.

TRIANGLE BUSINESS JOURNAL: reports Carolina Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford expects to trade Matt Cullen before the Olympic break and Ray Whitney after the break but before the March 3rd deadline.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: That appears to suggest moving Whitney will be a more complicated effort than Cullen, given the former's no-trade clause. Rutherford reportedly had a deal in place with the LA Kings a couple of weeks ago but it fell through when Whitney attempted to use his clause to leverage a three-year contract extension from the Kings.

CANOE.CA: Patrick Caisse reported on his blog last night of a rumored deal in the works between the Montreal Canadiens and LA Kings, which reportedly would see Kings winger Alex Frolov shipped to Montreal depending upon whether or not the Kings could land an experienced forward. Caisse speculates either Carolina's Ray Whitney or Atlanta's Slava Kozlov might be of interest to the Kings. He had no word on what the return from the Habs might be but suggested winger Max Pacioretty's name has appeared in recent rumors although the Kings would want more in return.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Frolov to the Canadiens has been in the rumor mill since last fall. Take this one for what it's worth, folks. We know the Kings tried to land Whitney but that deal fell through over his contract demands. Kozlov was recently a healthy scratch for the Thrashers.

Well  tomorrow the NHL will lock the rosters until after the Olympics.  Does anyone know if it is effective at 3:00 or midnight?  I can't remember if this follows the same routine as the regular trade deadline.

So maybe tonight will be the last time we see Cullen wearing the eye.    If they really are close to a deal, I wonder if we haven't already seen him for the last time?  frown.gif   Well if that's the case, he left us will a pretty awesome memory. 

Yesterday on XM they thought there might not be any more trades prior to the Olympics because teams don't want to pay two weeks worth of salary for guys to go to the beach. It also seems that with Ray wanting a contract extension from new teams, he must have been told by JR that his impending trade will not be a rental situation.