The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

Agree about Walker. Is he close to being able to play? Looks like he and Corvo are our other pure rentals not named Whitney.
I'm sure he must be close to being ready. He was taken off the IR once the Rats were sent back down and now has two more weeks to get back in shape to play.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

Appstatecanesfan']I feel like a 2 year deal with a NTC some where in the neighborhood of 3 mil with some incentives could work.  Then if he's still a solid 20 goal guy after that, we start with the 1 year deals.  Depends on if he really wants to be here, or if its all about the cash.

The CBA only permits performance bonuses on contracts for players who are 35 or older if they are signing a one year contract.  Anything over one year cannot have performance incentives.

TSA - I believe the bonus would count against the cap in the year it is earned.

I bet someone here has a copy of the CBA handy and would be able to enlighten us.  We have a couple of weeks to kill and the rumor sites are just starting to heat up.  Im still not buying that Whitney demanded a 3 year contract from LA like we've read on these sites.

Here my take as heard weeks ago by Bob McKenzie: JR had a deal with LA and asked Whitney to waive NTC, Whitney countered with "yes, but I want a 3 year contract extension here w/ Canes"; JR said no -> Whitney said no.  (That to me is a no brainer; a 2-year deal sure. 3-years, no way.) This next rumor I have no direct knowledge of and didn't hear it from respected source: someone on another board suggested that Whitney then requested LA to give him 3 year contract extension. They said no. (Maybe this other rumor reporter got the teams mixed up, idk.)

It appears that perhaps Whitney feels he has 3 more years in him. Good for him. I was a Whitney non-believer 3 years ago. But last year and this year were terrific years for him, he played consistently and didn't go out with his assorted groin injuries. He played in the playoff w/ a broken and pinned finger. OUCH! He has been one of the best players for us this year, hands down.

However, I respect JR for perhaps deciding not giving older, veteran players longer contracts. 2 years would sit well w/ me. Obviously Whitney wants more. I hope he gets it somewhere. I do not want JR giving him a 3 year deal. No way, not no how, never. The Brindy contract is KILLING us. 'Nuff said.

Let me throw this one out there, just to make me feel better.

I hope J.R. finds a home for Walker, and a home with a team that has a serious chance at seeing the SCF's.  I don't care what we get in return.  I'd love to see Walker get a chance to hoist the Cup.  He's been a great team player and gives 100% every night (I'd say the much overused 110% but there's no such thing).  He's a veteran player who could add a lot to a contender (Chicago are you listening).  No offense to the other Canes that are departing but whatever team gets Walker will become my team in the playoffs.  I want to see that man hoist Lord Stanley's Cup.

I had those same thoughts about Walker.  Seeing him hoist the cup would give me the same feeling as watching all of our vets in 06 raise it for the first time.  In fact if he were to go to a true contender, I'd be satisfied if JR gave him away for nothing just to allow him the opportunity.

Just because Roddy's long term deal has not worked out due to his injuries or whatever, is no reason to never again offer a player a similar contract. They are two different players and the scenario is different. I would prefer a two-year deal for ray but would not consider it an abomination like some who base their logic entirely on roddy's circumstance, if he were given 3 years. Ray is more effective at this point in his career than roddy was and sometimes the best move for a GM is to take a reasonable chance. If RW is not worth a chance at his age then no one has been or will ever be. He may not produce at 50 point level for 3 more seasons but then again he may. The playmaking skills do not come naturally to even some of the most gifted young athletes, and our young guys can definitely benefit from that part of his game(on the ice). I won't be upset if he gets deal somewhere else but I would rather have himhere. I mean he's not just winding down a career here, he's still "The Wizard.

Just because Roddy's long term deal has not worked out due to his injuries or whatever, is no reason to never again offer a player a similar contract. They are two different players and the scenario is different. I would prefer a two-year deal for ray but would not consider it an abomination like some who base their logic entirely on roddy's circumstance, if he were given 3 years. Ray is more effective at this point in his career than roddy was and sometimes the best move for a GM is to take a reasonable chance. If RW is not worth a chance at his age then no one has been or will ever be. He may not produce at 50 point level for 3 more seasons but then again he may. The playmaking skills do not come naturally to even some of the most gifted young athletes, and our young guys can definitely benefit from that part of his game(on the ice). I won't be upset if he gets deal somewhere else but I would rather have himhere. I mean he's not just winding down a career here, he's still "The Wizard.
J.R. has to take his heart out of this and think with his brain.  Ray has played great the last two years, fact.  Ray will be 38 years old at the end of this season, fact.  If Ray was resigned for 3 years as you suggest, you realize he would be 41 years old at the end of his contract and probably the oldest player in the league (or at least close to it). 

You point to Brindy's situation being so different; well, where is it so different?  He had produced at a high level and was younger than Ray when he signed his contract.  When a player getting up in years for an athlete gets that nagging injury that just won't go away, it's over.  Signing Ray to anything beyond a one year deal is irresponsible.  I love the way Ray plays but as a GM, I'd have to think long and hard about signing any player north of 35 years old to anything more than a 1 year deal.

This team needs to get younger and cheaper. Period.

Edit: Mods, maybe we need a "Whitney thread".  We are bound to drive this thing into the ground during the Olympic break.  Some of this could be moved.  

It's not much but here's today's Whitney Watch report:  

TSN.CA:Darren Dreger recently reported the Los Angeles Kings remainedinterested in Carolina Hurricanes forward Ray Whitney. It's believedWhitney originally sought a three-year contract while the Kingscountered with one year, and Dreger suggests if the Kings offered asecond season the trade would likely happen.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: The problems for the Kings is Whitney'sage (37), meaning if he retired following the first season the secondseason would still count against their salary cap. We'll find out inabout two weeks if the Kings are willing to make that commitment.

and this one made me LOL

Bruins management are still shopping around but a good deal by the deadline could be hard to find.

BOSTON HERALD:Steve Conroy reports Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli hears the fans demandsfor a trade to bolster his lineup and while he's certainly busyshopping around he hasn't been impressed by recent offers from otherclubs, calling them "complete horses**t right now", noting there'scurrently few sellers in the trade market. The Bruins could use ascoring forward for Marc Savard's line but there's currently noneavailable on a rental basis. Potential trade candidates includeCarolina's Ray Whitney, Toronto's Alexei Ponikarovsky and St. Louis'Keith Tkachuk or Paul Kariya, and Chiarelli holds nine picks in thefirst two rounds over the next two years.

[quote name=Faceoff-ch1]

Bruins management are still shopping around but a good deal by the deadline could be hard to find.

BOSTON HERALD: Steve Conroy reports Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli hears the fans demands for a trade to bolster his lineup and while he's certainly busy shopping around he hasn't been impressed by recent offers from other clubs, calling them "complete horses**t right now", noting there's currently few sellers in the trade market. The Bruins could use a scoring forward for Marc Savard's line but there's currently none available on a rental basis. Potential trade candidates include Carolina's Ray Whitney, Toronto's Alexei Ponikarovsky and St. Louis' Keith Tkachuk or Paul Kariya, and Chiarelli holds nine picks in the first two rounds over the next two years.

Chiarrelli will be blasted from the fans if he doesn't make a big move with the Bruins back in this.  Whitney is their best option and they know it.  Not to mention, Boston can't afford to let their competition get a hold of him either.  Looks like we may have a little poker match between JR and Chiarelli where JR is holding most of the cards.  It'll all come down to whether or not Peter Charelli is willing to pay the price.  Keeping an eye on the Boston papers.

[quote name='Appstatecanesfan wrote:

CaniacTillIDie']I just don't get the big deal about his age, I don't care if he's 60 Ray can produce especially the ways he' s played this year and of late. I understand this whole were trying to get younger thing but Cullen and Whitney are still big time players and seem to fit our system better than other teams.(I just watched the Sens play the NYI and Cully's ice time was 10:08, it seemed like he was off the ice as soon as he got on it, last night was just over 14 min.) but I hope Whit is just a rental and JR atleast tries to resign him during the summer and Matt, but Ray doesn't even have to continue to play on the 1st line even though he's proved it doesn't faze him and he can play against any line. Id give him a 3 year extension in a second because he's earned it and we all know he won't lack production say 3 years from now, especially in our system, ok Im done venting now.

Thats what they thought about Brindy too.  Hey he's only 37, but he can produce lets extend him until he's 40 at 3 million a season.  Well an injury or two later, we have an "elderly" NHL player who can no longer produce and have 3 million dollars tied up when we could be bringing in Young Guns.  I totally understand why Rutherford or whoever would be cautious in resigning a player of that age any longer than 2 years.

I can't compare Roddy to Ray because they're two totally different people but just because Brindy slacked off that automatically means Ray will too because of age? Sorry Im not buying that, no two guys are the same, even if we didn't sign him to a 3 year deal, do what TSA said, go a one year contract at a time, obviously he isn't looking to go to a place that will spend the most money on him and I think he would give us a hometown discount but I just don't buy into the whole "well look how Roddy turned out" thing, like I said, Im not gonna base Ray's performance in the future because of another guy thats close to his age. As far as injuries, anybody can get hurt and not be the same as before regardless of what age. Ray can still play in the NHL, period. 

I really think the point here is when a player approaches 40 years old, regardless of how he is playing right now, the chances of an injury severely limiting the level of his play is much higher than a player in his late 20's or early 30's.  So, comparing Ray to Brindy in this circumstance is a valid one, IMO.

But, back on topic.  I thought Boston was falling out of the Whitney sweepstakes.  But, as TSA pointed out, they are right back in it and those fans are screaming for him to do something.  Yes, I've been keeping an eye on the Boston media as well.  Chiarelli has the first round pick we seek, and I'm sure JR can squeeze a top prospect out of someone as well, even if it isn't Boston.

TSA, I don't think JR holds all the cards, Ray does.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

coastal_caniac']TSA, I don't think JR holds all the cards, Ray does.

At the very least Ray  holds the Trump Card.

Definately the trump card. JR is the only one who can make the deal on Ray's behalf but yes, Ray has rights of refusal.

I still think Whitney has to be careful not to overplay his hand either. His value will never be higher than right now. At the end of the year he is a 38 year old forward, who will need to prove he has another season in him. Now he is a productive, creative point producer with serious playoff experience and a cup win, that can absolutely put the right team over the top. Undoubtably he wanted to see how far he could push it with the 3 year contract demand, but one would have to think that if anyone were willing to sign him for two more years he'd ultimately need to take it. I really doubt he gets a two year deal and definitely not a 3 year deal at the end of the year. It would not be in Ray's best interest to miss the trade deadline either.

I still think Whitney has to be careful not to overplay his hand either. His value will never be higher than right now. At the end of the year he is a 38 year old forward, who will need to prove he has another season in him. Now he is a productive, creative point producer with serious playoff experience and a cup win, that can absolutely put the right team over the top. Undoubtably he wanted to see how far he could push it with the 3 year contract demand, but one would have to think that if anyone were willing to sign him for two more years he'd ultimately need to take it. I really doubt he gets a two year deal and definitely not a 3 year deal at the end of the year. It would not be in Ray's best interest to miss the trade deadline either.

Anyone know who Whitney's agent is?  There are a few out there in the Twitter world and it might be interesting to follow anything they say in the next few weeks.  Also - I'm hoping he doesn't have the same agent as Seidenberg. 

I really think the point here is when a player approaches 40 years old, regardless of how he is playing right now, the chances of an injury severely limiting the level of his play is much higher than a player in his late 20's or early 30's.  So, comparing Ray to Brindy in this circumstance is a valid one, IMO.

LOL, sorry not buying that one either, look at Ray's stats since the 06-07 season with games played along with goals and points. All it takes is one serious injury to finish off your career regardless of any age, ask Colesy how close he came. Id feel different about the situation if Ray was in and out of the line up every season but he's not!

2006-2007 Hurricanes 81 32 51 83 -5 46 6 0 6 215 14.9
2007-2008 Hurricanes 66 25 36 61 -6 30 6 0 4 204 12.3
2008-2009 Hurricanes 82 24 53 77 2 32 7 0 2 219 11.0
2009-2010 Hurricanes 59 19 29 48 -1 22 6 0 4 128 14.8

He's been on of the few guys who play night in and night out along with producing.

Ray is like a fine wine, he just keeps getting better with age!

[quote name='CaniacTillIDie wrote:

coastal_caniac']Ray is like a fine wine, he just keeps getting better with age!

Even fine wine has an expiration date.... When I Googled it the first answer I got said:

"Wine doesn't necessarily expire but it could reach its maturation potential and then become sort of lousy."

coastal_caniac']I really think the point here is when a player approaches 40 years old,
regardless of how he is playing right now
, the chances of an injury severely limiting the level of his play is much higher than a player in his late 20's or early 30's.  So, comparing Ray to Brindy in this circumstance is a valid one, IMO.

LOL, sorry not buying that one either, look at Ray's stats since the 06-07 season with games played along with goals and points. All it takes is one serious injury to finish off your career regardless of any age, ask Colesy how close he came. Id feel different about the situation if Ray was in and out of the line up every season but he's not!

Hurricanes
Hurricanes
Hurricanes
Hurricanes

He's been on of the few guys who play night in and night out along with producing.

Agree---look at Weight and Recci---they are still playing. Weight is 41 and he is the Captain.  Ray has had a great year.

I wonder if JR would offer Ray a 2 year extension, instead of  the 3 he wants------and trade him as a rental only for the

best return he could get ?

[quote name='laugh.giflaugh.gifSwanson wrote:

CaniacTillIDie wrote:

coastal_caniac']Ray is like a fine wine, he just keeps getting better with age!

Even fine wine has an expiration date.... When I Googled it the first answer I got said:

"Wine doesn't necessarily expire but it could reach its maturation potential and then become sort of lousy."

Haha, true but I don't think Ray has reached his "maturation potential" yet,  funny you googled it though

Skill decline with age is probably the most predictable things in all of sports.  Everyone likes to bring up some outlier player that was productive in his 40's and say that you can't always predict these things.  The truth is 9 times out of 10 the decline is all too easy to predict.  If I was a betting man, I would put my money on Whitney being either retired or ineffective two years from now. 

LA would be foolish to give Whitney a 3 year contract.  In order to give a 2 year contract, LA would have to be taking the position that it is worthwhile to eat a year of his contract in order to make a run at the cup.  If Whitney defies the odds and remains an effective player for two years, then that is just extra gravy.

2006-2007 Hurricanes 81 32 51 83 -5 46 6 0 6 215 14.9
2007-2008 Hurricanes 66 25 36 61 -6 30 6 0 4 204 12.3
2008-2009 Hurricanes 82 24 53 77 2 32 7 0 2 219 11.0
2009-2010 Hurricanes 59 19 29 48 -1 22 6 0 4 128 14.8

Okay, I'm going to try this one last time (I feel like I'm hitting myself in the head with a hammer here).

You may be completely right and Ray has 3 years left in him, but history would suggest otherwise.  There are 19 players in the league older than Ray which is 2.2% of the active players listed by NHL.com.  If he were one year older (as he will be next year), compared with currently active players,  there would be 10 older than him which is 1.2%.  In year two of a contract there would be 3 players older than him which is .4% (again using this years active players and aging Ray up).  Go to year 3 and Rechi is the only player in the league that is currently playing and older than Ray would be (.1% older players).  While stats and numbers can't predict everything, you can use them to see what should be expected.

As much as Ray has meant to the Hurricanes and even considering his high level of play the last couple of years, I would not want to go more than 1 year on a contract.  The only way I'd even consider 2 would be with a deep home town discount.  Many think that Ray is going to give the Canes that discount, I am not one of those people.  I think Ray realizes that this is his last chance for a payday and will capitalize.  There is nothing that says he can't retire here if he really likes the area. 

If he wants a year at 2.5 mil and a NTC, I sign him in a second.  Anything beyond that would be tough.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

CaniacTillIDie']

Hurricanes
Hurricanes
Hurricanes
Hurricanes

Okay, I'm going to try this one last time (I feel like I'm hitting myself in the head with a hammer here).

You may be completely right and Ray has 3 years left in him, but history would suggest otherwise.  There are 19 players in the league older than Ray which is 2.2% of the active players listed by NHL.com.  If he were one year older (as he will be next year), compared with currently active players,  there would be 10 older than him which is 1.2%.  In year two of a contract there would be 3 players older than him which is .4% (again using this years active players and aging Ray up).  Go to year 3 and Rechi is the only player in the league that is currently playing and older than Ray would be (.1% older players).  While stats and numbers can't predict everything, you can use them to see what should be expected.

As much as Ray has meant to the Hurricanes and even considering his high level of play the last couple of years, I would not want to go more than 1 year on a contract.  The only way I'd even consider 2 would be with a deep home town discount.  Many think that Ray is going to give the Canes that discount, I am not one of those people.  I think Ray realizes that this is his last chance for a payday and will capitalize.  There is nothing that says he can't retire here if he really likes the area. 

If he wants a year at 2.5 mil and a NTC, I sign him in a second.  Anything beyond that would be tough. Here we go again with the "history" ordeal, I don't give a crap about history and what has happen to OTHER guys, that doesn't mean Ray won't be a 20 goal scorer next season or the one after that, I look at every one as an individual and not what has happen in the past. The man's numbers and games played speak for themselves. Period! I'd sign him to a one or two year contract right now, alot of people must be physic on here because they sure do know how Ray's point production will slack off because he's getting "old". Can one of you guys tell me tonight's winning powerball numbers?!

super-dave-1 wrote:

CaniacTillIDie']

Hurricanes
Hurricanes
Hurricanes
Hurricanes

You may be completely right and Ray has 3 years left in him,
but history would suggest otherwise
.  There are 19 players in the league older than Ray which is 2.2% of the active players listed by NHL.com.  If he were one year older (as he will be next year), compared with currently active players,  there would be 10 older than him which is 1.2%.  In year two of a contract there would be 3 players older than him which is .4% (again using this years active players and aging Ray up).  Go to year 3 and Rechi is the only player in the league that is currently playing and older than Ray would be (.1% older players).  While stats and numbers can't predict everything, you can use them to see what should be expected.

If he wants a year at 2.5 mil and a NTC, I sign him in a second.  Anything beyond that would be tough.
 Here we go again with the "history" ordeal, I don't give a crap about history and what has happen to OTHER guys, that doesn't mean Ray won't be a 20 goal scorer next season or the one after that, I look at every one as an individual and not what has happen in the past. The man's numbers and games played speak for themselves. Period! I'd sign him to a one or two year contract right now, alot of people must be physic on here because they sure do know how Ray's point production will slack off because he's getting "old". Can one of you guys tell me tonight's winning powerball numbers?!

I guess you weren't doing the "history" thing when you brought up Ray's history.

Look, it's an opinion.  Don't take it personally.  I get it, Ray's your guy and you don't want to see him gone.

[quote name='UNCCaniac8 wrote:

CaniacTillIDie wrote:

coastal_caniac']I really think the point here is when a player approaches 40 years old,
regardless of how he is playing right now
, the chances of an injury severely limiting the level of his play is much higher than a player in his late 20's or early 30's.  So, comparing Ray to Brindy in this circumstance is a valid one, IMO.

Hurricanes
Hurricanes
Hurricanes
Hurricanes

Agree---look at Weight and Recci---they are still playing. Weight is 41 and he is the Captain.  Ray has had a great year.

I wonder if JR would offer Ray a 2 year extension, instead of  the 3 he wants------and trade him as a rental only for the

best return he could get ?

Weight got his first goal of the year this weekend and has 15 points for the season.  He's only played 31 games.  But, he's only 41.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

CaniacTillIDie wrote:

super-dave-1']Okay, I'm going to try this one last time (I feel like I'm hitting myself in the head with a hammer here).

You may be completely right and Ray has 3 years left in him,
but history would suggest otherwise
.  There are 19 players in the league older than Ray which is 2.2% of the active players listed by NHL.com.  If he were one year older (as he will be next year), compared with currently active players,  there would be 10 older than him which is 1.2%.  In year two of a contract there would be 3 players older than him which is .4% (again using this years active players and aging Ray up).  Go to year 3 and Rechi is the only player in the league that is currently playing and older than Ray would be (.1% older players).  While stats and numbers can't predict everything, you can use them to see what should be expected.

Here we go again with the "history" ordeal, I don't give a crap about history and what has happen to OTHER guys, that doesn't mean Ray won't be a 20 goal scorer next season or the one after that, I look at every one as an individual and not what has happen in the past. The man's numbers and games played speak for themselves. Period! I'd sign him to a one or two year contract right now, alot of people must be physic on here because they sure do know how Ray's point production will slack off because he's getting "old". Can one of you guys tell me tonight's winning powerball numbers?!

I guess you weren't doing the "history" thing when you brought up Ray's history.

Look, it's an opinion.  Don't take it personally.  I get it, Ray's your guy and you don't want to see him gone.

Nothin personal man, like you said just my 2sense. Ray's not even "my guy" I just think it would be dumb to let our best player go regardless of his age because in my veiw we can still make the playoffs, I think as fans were all used to seeing players we like gone, part of the business and we all eventually get over it, if JR does let him go I hope he atleast try's to resign him to a 1 or 2 year deal.

I agree that each has to be considered on individual basis. The argument for a player diminishing with age are sound but also numbers for players in decline have begun a decline by this age too. Those numbers,IMO, are generally more pronounced with players where physicality is a big part of their game. The difference with RW regarding age are his legs and skating have not hit that wall yet, and it could be that his game will not decline quite so quickly as with most other athletes at this age. His playmaking, I believe, is more a product of game experience and saavy, not so much being a better athlete than the guys he has to compete against. He doesn't beat anyone with speed and strength, but with smarts and hockey sense. Just my take.