The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

Ducks fan here. i already posted this question in another thread, guess i should of posted it in this one. Anyway whats the status of Joni Pitkanen? is he available and what kind of return would you as canes fans be after?

Ducks fan here. i already posted this question in another thread, guess i should of posted it in this one. Anyway whats the status of Joni Pitkanen? is he available and what kind of return would you as canes fans be after?

NOOOO you can't have him, no way in ell JR will let Joni go, atleast I don't think he will, he's a big time dman for us. I have to give alot of credit to Joni for the way Jussi is playing right now, you can tell those two guys grew up playing togeather. You'll find a puck moving dman, but his last name won't be Pitkanen.

Welcome, you got the right thread the first time smile.gif

Ha, yea after i posted the 1st time i saw the "trade speculation" thread.  this one was getting a lot more traffic so i figured it would be a better fit.smile.gif The ducks would love to have Pitkanen, and just thought I'd see how you canes fans felt about maybe dealing him to the ducks.

The thing about great players aging is that you don't see it coming. Heck they're great players or they wouldn't be around past 35. I've beaten up on Brind'Amour (who by the way has to be the fittest guy in his age in the league), but Brind'Amour did have a great year the year before his age hit him and was a huge reason we were good enough to win the cup. Who would have written that the Canes should move him due to age at that point? But when the age hits, things drop off fast, but since they are great players, management and fans are slow to see it let alone admit it. Having been down this road so recently (actually kind of still on it), I suspect that JR will be hesitant to give Whitney anything more than one year. 

Most guys his age I would just say no even to one year, but with Ray a one year extension could work. The thing is, I am still hopeful we get an NHL ready forward in the draft, and one top winger from free-agency. (I also hope to get Cullen back). Since we are trying to shed salary and get younger, I'm not sure how Ray fits in. I also think he is going to his contract from the team that ends up with him now, since that is what he is ultimately bargaining for. 

Whitney is one of my favorites, but I don't really see him back here next year. Due to the reasons above, but also the general direction of the team is different now. There will be no effort to keep the band together anymore. It's all about the future now.

I agree, you can't have Joni, but we do have Corvo you can take.  After all, he's on the last year of his contract and he can move the puck.

Lets get this back to media trade rumors. A Ray Whitney thread was started where all things Whitney, not necessarily related to a specific linked trade rumor, can be discussed. 

Just to clarify things, the reason this thread was started by request was to make it easy to collect in one place, all the linked Canes rumors from all the various NHL blogs and NHL rumor sites.  There are many here who are only interested in hearing what the media rumors are would rather not have to sort through all the fan ideas and suggestions to find all the actual rumors, many backed with some credibility.  We have plenty of thread options for all the fan ideas, GM suggestions and creatng your own line ups. 

Lets keep this thread focused on the linked rumors, thanks for understanding.   Please PM a staff member if there is a question or concern about this.

We now return to our regularly scheduled program, "Where will Whitney go?"

I agree that each has to be considered on individual basis. The argument for a player diminishing with age are sound but also numbers for players in decline have begun a decline by this age too. Those numbers,IMO, are generally more pronounced with players where physicality is a big part of their game. The difference with RW regarding age are his legs and skating have not hit that wall yet, and it could be that his game will not decline quite so quickly as with most other athletes at this age. His playmaking, I believe, is more a product of game experience and saavy, not so much being a better athlete than the guys he has to compete against. He doesn't beat anyone with speed and strength, but with smarts and hockey sense. Just my take.
The PROBLEM with ANY over 35 player( take ray or bias out) is you have their Salary ON CAP EVEN IF HURT,RETIRED OR EVEN DIES. That to me is why no one wants to give a 3 year deal to these guys, no matter their 'history".. Too much can go wrong and unlike most situations where can buyout/restrutucre etc you are stuck with the money on cap, hurting team.

that is what happened with brindy now, and really don't want it happening again 2 at most

Call it cold, call it a good business decision, call it rebuilding....but let's be realistic.  RayRay is gone....he won't be back, not for a 1 year extension, not for a 2 year deal, and certainly not for a 3 year term.  It's just not going to happen.  While one additional year of Whitney after "renting" him out to another team may indeed help the youngsters that may or may not be coming up from the Rats/Checkers, the focus of JR and the team is a "retooling".  We need to be competitive next year and then for several years after that.  Could one more year of Whitney help us?  Sure and I would absolutely love to see him here dishing to Staalsy and the Juice...But for us to really get to where we want to be long term we need to give the "new blood" a chance....by new blood I mean the youngsters and the new free agents that will be coming in (yes folks we will sign a couple of those in the off season). 

But most importantly, the "prospect(s)" we get for Whitney and perhaps Corvo plus the draft choices are the face of next year.  If Whit is traded for a pick and a prospect, that prospect needs to be (and probably will be) NHL ready.  If we get the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft, then perhaps even that guy is ready (Seguin or Fowler....not sure if they qualify as "ready").  But we really, really need to be prepared for life without Whitney and Cullen. 

Boychuk is probably going to slide into Whitney's spot (or Cole will).  Samsonove/Sutter/Ruutu looks to be a pretty solid second line.  We will need a 3rd line center (we may try Dalpe there if he impresses in camp) and we may or may not need a 3rd linewinger (if Tlusty doesn't continue to progress or Bowman or Terry aren't ready).  Other than that we're close to set on offense (4th line of LaRose, Dwyer, and Kosto).  Maybe we move somebody else in the off season, but our look is going to be different and we need to get the youth time in the NHL.  On defense count on Carson, Picard, and McBain being part of our plan for next year (w/McBain perhaps moving up and down as injuries occur).  The only other "off the radar" tweak that I see is perhaps showcasing Picard the rest of this year and packaging him w/a pick(s) to move up in the draft.  If that's the case then we sign a free agent shut down guy w/McBain becoming our 2nd puck mover.

So my trade speculation is really based on where I think we'll be next year...Whitney is going to LA or Boston, Corvo probably gets moved to somebody like NY or Boston (maybe Chicago), Ward and Walker are moved for minor considerations (color me in on the Walker lifting the Cup opportunity)....any other deal is most likely a complete surprise to me....that's my two cents....

From Spectors:

BUFFALO NEWS:John Vogl recently reported on the possibility of Sabres GM DarcyRegier making a deal at the March 3rd trade deadline, noting Regier hasmade moves at all 11 of his trade deadlines. Vogl wonders if he mightpursue a puck-moving defenseman like Carolina's Joe Corvo, a top-sixforward like Florida's Nathan Horton or Cory Stillman or a grittyplayer like Chicago's Ben Eager.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Regier tends to play his cards close tothe vest but given his track record at the deadline it would seem asafe bet he'll do something to bolster his roster, although given hiscost-conscious mind-set he might not go after a player like Hortonwho's on a multi-year contract.

PITTSBURGH POST-GAZETTE: Ron Cookrecently reported on the possible trade needs for the Penguins at theMarch 3rd deadline. While Carolina's Ray Whitney has been frequentlylinked with the Penguins, Cook suggests a big, tough physicaldefenseman could be more of a need than a scoring winger, noting theclub misses salary cap casualties Hal Gill and Rob Scuderi. Dave Molinarimeanwhile casts doubt on the possibility of Aleksey Morozov or JaromirJagr returning to the Penguins as free agents next season.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: While most of the hockey media claimsthe Penguins are seeking a scoring winger it's been the Pittsburghmedia suggesting they need blueline depth. Gee, maybe they knowsomething the rest of the league doesn't? You know, because they seethe Penguins more than everyone else in the media. As for Morozov andJagr, the former is a well-paid big fish in a small talent pond whilethe latter's next appearance in Pittsburgh in a Penguins jersey willlikely be the retirement of his number.

The latest from Spectors:

Former Bruins defenseman and current Carolina Hurricane AaronWard said he hasn't heard anything about a potential trade but there'sa list of places he might go to by the deadline.

Ward was rumored to be among those in the Bruins sights andhe'd likely welcome a return to Boston where he was a good fit and afan favorite but became a cap casualty last summer in a cost-cuttingtrade by the Bruins.

The latest from Spectors:

Former Bruins defenseman and current Carolina Hurricane AaronWard said he hasn't heard anything about a potential trade but there'sa list of places he might go to by the deadline.

Ward was rumored to be among those in the Bruins sights andhe'd likely welcome a return to Boston where he was a good fit and afan favorite but became a cap casualty last summer in a cost-cuttingtrade by the Bruins.

Spectors probably got that from Comcast Sportsnet when they were speculating that about the Predator's Hamhuis being a potential target for Boston.  With Red Sox season right around the corner, I read the Boston papers daily and watch NESN religiously and its mostly been the fans and media suggesting that Boston would try and go after AWard for the deadline.  This is based solely on the success he had paired with Chara the past couple of seasons, I've never once heard it from any of the folks that tend to be in the know about the Bruins.  AWard has not had a good year and Chara has been up and down so I'm not sure Chiarreli would take this chance.   The only way I see this happening is if the Canes put AWard back on waivers and Boston is allowed to pick him up on re-entry for 1/2 price.  Even though AWard had not had a great season, someone will pick him up for depth before Boston gets their shot at him.

That said, I could be very wrong and maybe they would go after him but I would think the deal would be tied into acquiring a scoring forward like Ray Whitney with him.  With the Bruins not being one of the top contenders, not sure the incentive is there for Ray to waive his NTC for Boston.  All my own speculation of course.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

OBXer']The latest from

Spectors probably got that from Comcast Sportsnet when they were speculating that about the Predator's Hamhuis being a potential target for Boston.  With Red Sox season right around the corner, I read the Boston papers daily and watch NESN religiously and its mostly been the fans and media suggesting that Boston would try and go after AWard for the deadline.  This is based solely on the success he had paired with Chara the past couple of seasons, I've never once heard it from any of the folks that tend to be in the know about the Bruins.  AWard has not had a good year and Chara has been up and down so I'm not sure Chiarreli would take this chance.   The only way I see this happening is if the Canes put AWard back on waivers and Boston is allowed to pick him up on re-entry for 1/2 price.  Even though AWard had not had a great season, someone will pick him up for depth before Boston gets their shot at him.

That said, I could be very wrong and maybe they would go after him but I would think the deal would be tied into acquiring a scoring forward like Ray Whitney with him.  With the Bruins not being one of the top contenders, not sure the incentive is there for Ray to waive his NTC for Boston.  All my own speculation of course.

The nice thing about trading for one of the Bruin's picks is that at 65 points they could have a bad spell and drop to a fairly decent draft position even with their pick (let alone Torronto's). It is a paradox, since Ray probably wants to go to a team with the playoffs locked up, but it would be a coup for the team to send him to a bubble team and then have that team struggle into a top pick. Perhaps not great for Ray, but one would assume he would get a contract out of the deal.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

TSA wrote:

OBXer']

The latest from
Spectors:

The nice thing about trading for one of the Bruin's picks is that at 65 points they could have a bad spell and drop to a fairly decent draft position even with their pick (let alone Torronto's). It is a paradox, since Ray probably wants to go to a team with the playoffs locked up, but it would be a coup for the team to send him to a bubble team and then have that team struggle into a top pick. Perhaps not great for Ray, but one would assume he would get a contract out of the deal.

I think many of the rumors are being picked up from other sources.  With the Olympic trade freeze I have noticed a lot of re-hashed speculation. The only reason I think this might be possible is that Chara might miss Award and it might be a way to jump start his game again. I  could see Award being packaged with Ray. But having said this I am just guessing.  It does sound like Award thinks he is going somewhere soon.

I think many of the rumors are being picked up from other sources.  With the Olympic trade freeze I have noticed a lot of re-hashed speculation. The only reason I think this might be possible is that Chara might miss Award and it might be a way to jump start his game again. I  could see Award being packaged with Ray. But having said this I am just guessing.  It does sound like Award thinks he is going somewhere soon.

I hope so for is own good.  He's been a good player for several winning teams (not just the Canes) and its always hard to see a career winding down on a sour note.  Its definitely been a  rough season for him but his play has improved as of late and he could add some depth and Cup experience to a young contending team.  I really hope for his sake as well as for what he could get for the Canes, that he gets one last chance to end the season on a good note.

Canes Now 2/22

Rutherford: the quiet before the storm
Submitted by chipalexander on 02/22/2010 - 11:32

Canes general manager Jim Rutherford said he has had a quiet week. No calls from other GMs, he said, and no business discussed.

"But I do expect some people to be poking around by mid-week," he said today.

The NHL trade deadline is March 3 but the Olympic freeze on trades ends March 1. Will the Canes be making a trade before the deadline?

"That's a tough call," Rutherford said. "We've got the one game in Toronto (March 2) and that should be a big week, with the deadline.

"With players being moved in and out, some think we've conceded. We haven't. We're going to do what's right from a business point of view and what's right for the future franchise, but we have not lost right on what we're trying to do."

That is, get back in the playoff chase. The Canes have traded Nic Wallin and Matt Cullen but went into the Olympic break with a five-game winning streak, winning nine of their last 11 games, and are nine points out of playoff position.

But Rutherford said the run before the break did not change his perspective on potential trades.

"If the right thing comes along, we'll do what's right for the franchise," he said. "We're not going to move players just to move players. It has to make sense for our future.

"We will have to look at it, but that won't automatically say we're conceding the season. It does not look probable (reaching the playoffs) but it's still possible, and with another good stretch we could make things interesting."

Rutherford said he expected forwards Chad LaRose, Scott Walker and Erik Cole all to be available after the Olympic break. Defenseman Alex Picard, obtained in the trade with Ottawa that sent Cullen to the Senators, will join the team in practice this week, he said.

The Canes have 21 games remaining, but play four of the first five on the road after the Olympic break.

"Some players are ready to step in," Rutherford said. "If we continue to show the strong work ethic we had leading into the break, we could make things interesting."

Heard Bob McKenzie today on XM saying things were very quiet right now.  Usually there's some leak somewhere about a big trade that will go down after the break but so far there's been nothing out there.  He felt like that would change by the end of the week and that the Hurricanes would still be big players at the deadline.

Canes Now 2/22

Submitted by chipalexander on 02/22/2010 - 11:32

Canes general manager Jim Rutherford said he has had a quiet week. No calls from other GMs, he said, and no business discussed.

The NHL trade deadline is March 3 but the Olympic freeze on trades ends March 1. Will the Canes be making a trade before the deadline?

"That's a tough call," Rutherford said. "We've got the one game in Toronto (March 2) and that should be a big week, with the deadline.

"With players being moved in and out, some think we've conceded. We haven't. We're going to do what's right from a business point of view and what's right for the future franchise, but we have not lost right on what we're trying to do."

That is, get back in the playoff chase. The Canes have traded Nic Wallin and Matt Cullen but went into the Olympic break with a five-game winning streak, winning nine of their last 11 games, and are nine points out of playoff position.

But Rutherford said the run before the break did not change his perspective on potential trades.

"If the right thing comes along, we'll do what's right for the franchise," he said. "We're not going to move players just to move players. It has to make sense for our future.

"We will have to look at it, but that won't automatically say we're conceding the season. It does not look probable (reaching the playoffs) but it's still possible, and with another good stretch we could make things interesting."

Rutherford said he expected forwards Chad LaRose, Scott Walker and Erik Cole all to be available after the Olympic break. Defenseman Alex Picard, obtained in the trade with Ottawa that sent Cullen to the Senators, will join the team in practice this week, he said.

The Canes have 21 games remaining, but play four of the first five on the road after the Olympic break.

"Some players are ready to step in," Rutherford said. "If we continue to show the strong work ethic we had leading into the break, we could make things interesting."

JR saying the right things. If Whitney is around March 4th it will be a major mistake.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']

JR saying the right things. If Whitney is around March 4th it will be a major mistake.

I saw a headline on ESPN that said our asking price for Whitney might be to high and Whitney's price too. But I think all the leaks and speculation is mostly posturing right now.

well rem, it wouldnt be a mistake if he stays and   canes sneak in.... i like to keep a open mind,and believe in the unthinkable...  so, lets  see what happens

From Spectors:

OTTAWA CITIZEN:Ken Warren yesterday reported Atlanta's Pavel Kubina, Nashville's DanHamhuis and Florida's Jordan Leopold and Dennis Seidenberg have beenlinked to the Senators in trade rumors as GM Bryan Murray hopes to adda defenseman or two by the March 3rd trade deadline, possibly byshopping a forward like Ryan Shannon. Among other trade possibilitiesare Anaheim's Scott Niedermayer and Nick Boynton, Carolina's AaronWard, Columbus' Brendan Bell (a former Senator player who's currently playingfor the Blue Jackets farm team), Minnesota's Marek Zidlicky and TampaBay's Kurtis Foster.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Kubina, Niedermayer and Hamhuis arelikely out of Ottawa's price range, the Wild intend to re-sign Zidlickyand the Lightning probably aren't sellers. That leaves Boynton, Ward,Bell, Leopold and Seidenberg as more likely trade targets.

Per John  Forslund:

Trade winds arestarting to blow. Talk around the league that managers are starting toposition themselves for March 3 blitz..stay close

And Darren Dreger:

Red eye fromVancouver to Toronto on the 28th for trade deadline watch. Talks areheating up. Full coverage on TSN when the freeze lifts.

Looks like we'll be hearing some new rumors by the end of the week.  Whew, we could use something.  I think its worse sitting around waiting for your team to be broken up rather than waiting to see who the new addition might be, at least you have the playoffs and the new face to look forward to.

well rem, it wouldnt be a mistake if he stays and   canes sneak in.... i like to keep a open mind,and believe in the unthinkable...  so, lets  see what happens
I must respect the limitless optimism and against all odds thinking of some of us, but even with this recent run, our chances of making the playoffs moved from 0.1% to 0.7%. No reason not to keep hope alive in the heart, but JR best be thinking clearly. He's already traded Cullen and Wallin and the price for failing to move Whitney is to get nothing for him. 

JR has exactly one more game to watch before the window closes. Can't wait and see what happens. Either get a pick, or get nothing and a 0.7% chance of making the playoffs, and even then in the 8 seed with no Cullen.

Fans, keep hope alive. JR make the obvious move.