The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Rampant-RumorEric-Staal-to-Oilers--Who-Could-Be-Headed-Back/1/24599

I know this is unlikely but who do you guys think we could get in return?

Unlikely but not out of the question.  When a team tanks like we are doing there isn't any trade that would not be considered. But we have made it known that Staal is our future so unless we have decided to go in a new direction or Staal is having some kind of crisis and wants to be traded I would find this unlikely.  Having said that nothing would surprise me.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

KrazyCane']

Unlikely but not out of the question.  When a team tanks like we are doing there isn't any trade that would not be considered. But we have made it known that Staal is our future so unless we have decided to go in a new direction or Staal is having some kind of crisis and wants to be traded I would find this unlikely.  Having said that nothing would surprise me.

It would definitely relieve cap pressure and you could definitely get some sort of return.

i said it before, i'll say it again...staal isn't happy here.  there is NO chemistry between he and the other players.  not even cole.  he loses the puck every time he puts his stick on it. why not trade him somewhere he can be used to his best potential and get something to work with in return?   franchise player?  i think the name starts with brandon and ends with sutter.

i'd be really disappointed to see corvo traded at this point.  sure he has a horrible + / -, but he is also 3rd in the league for TOI.  it's a given %-wise that the more you play, the more errors you make (unless you're crosby or boyle...both of who have teams that play well around them). the man is an absolute workhorse.   this will be interesting to watch...no?

[quote name='hockeytime-ch1 wrote:

OBXer wrote:

KrazyCane']
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Rampant-RumorEric-Staal-to-Oilers--Who-Could-Be-Headed-Back/1/24599

It would definitely relieve cap pressure and you could definitely get some sort of return.

It would do that.  If your going into rebuild looking two or three years down the road you need the cap space. In the short term Staal would or should net you a player who can play now and others who could help you in the future. 

I agree.  Staal is a winner.  He comes from a family of winners.  Factor in the fact that both his brothers are playing for better teams, especially Jordan, and I think it's easy to see that he's somewhat over it. Not sure if trading him is the best decision though.  I will say that as a franchise player he needs to be a leader.  The fans, coaches and other players depend on his ability to elevate the game but he just insn't delivering and hasn't since last season. It is most definitely going to be an interesting month.  JR and PM have their work cutout for them.

hockeytime-ch1 wrote:

OBXer']Unlikely but not out of the question.  When a team tanks like we are doing there isn't any trade that would not be considered. But we have made it known that Staal is our future so unless we have decided to go in a new direction or Staal is having some kind of crisis and wants to be traded I would find this unlikely.  Having said that nothing would surprise me.

It would do that.  If your going into rebuild looking two or three years down the road you need the cap space. In the short term Staal would or should net you a player who can play now and others who could help you in the future. 

Yes it certainly would.  And if you ever wanted to send a message, message signed, sealed, and delivered.

[quote name='hockeytime-ch1 wrote:

OBXer wrote:

hockeytime-ch1']It would definitely relieve cap pressure and you could definitely get some sort of return.

Yes it certainly would.  And if you ever wanted to send a message, message signed, sealed, and delivered.

Would I ever hate to see Staal go put up some 100 point season on another team but it would be the ultimate statement to this locker room.  Is this locker room really worth that kind of statement and what would be the recovery from that drastic a move?  Id rather see them sell off other parts to get Staal some more elite talent to play with here.  I trust that is what management wants too.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if JR has Staal on his list of possibly trade able players, but we're going to need to get a HELL of a lot more than that in return.  Staal's NTC kicks in this Summer.  His salary goes up at a pretty good clip the next few years.  The only window of opportunity to trade him would pretty much be in the next few months, so JR would be foolish not to at least consider offers.  This offer is worse than insulting however.  On a good line, Staal is one of the best centers in the league.  They're going to give us a second pairing defensemen and a guy who is projected to top off as a second line center?!?!  JR is about as likely to go for that offer as Edmonton would be to take Chad Larose and Aaron Ward for Sheldon Souray.

Look at the schedule ... we play tomorrow (Monday) and then not again until Saturday ... if no changes happen within those four days, I don't expect to have anything happen until the trade deadline. Four days in between games is a perfect time to make changes. I think JR was looking to that break to make any possible changes, depending on how badly we've stunk up the joint.

Personally, you have to start to look towards next year. The playoffs are not going to happen this year with this team and this coaching staff. It's just not. Even if it was, why trade away players to finish anywhere between 7th and 11th in the conference? The risk/reward is just too high...

hockeytime-ch1 wrote:

OBXer']Unlikely but not out of the question.  When a team tanks like we are doing there isn't any trade that would not be considered. But we have made it known that Staal is our future so unless we have decided to go in a new direction or Staal is having some kind of crisis and wants to be traded I would find this unlikely.  Having said that nothing would surprise me.

I got a text last night from a board member about this rumor and I kind of laughed it off.  After some thought and reading some opinions here, I can see a scenario that it could happen, just not with the Oil.  They have cap issues now and Staal would just add to it.  The only way they could work it is a 3 way deal or if J.R. were willing to take on salary which is unlikely or I would say impossible.  J.R. would need a trading partner that could take the salary on without needing to shed salary.  Looking at the standings and the cap numbers, I see a few possibilities; Islanders, Coyotes, and Predators.  All three of these teams are in the playoff hunt early in the season.  All three of these teams have plenty of cap space.  I'm not sure of what prospects they would have to give up, but at least the Islanders and Coyotes should have systems with higher picks playing. 

If J.R. is having 2nd thoughts on the contract that he signed Staal to, as has been stated before, he will need to move sooner rather than later.  We have been clammoring for change, well, that would be change.  This team has been losing with Staal and can lose without him.  It creates room to move a player up.  Maybe J.R. is seeing more in Sutter and wants him to be the centerpiece of the franchise.  During this misery would be about the only time that a move of that nature could be made without the fans revolting.  It could help to replenish the prospect pool.

I don't know, I'm grasping for straws like the rest of you.  I have mixed feelings about it.  I like Staal, but is he too dependent on other players (he needs Cole)?

From Spectors:

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER: Chip Alexander reports Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford has some hard decisions to make with his struggling club and sooner rather than later. The question of course is what?

SPECTOR'S NOTE: There's little Rutherford can do right now, but I suspect once we get into the second half of the season he'll start shopping some guys when their trade value might be higher. I'd say the only untouchables are Eric Staal and Cam Ward at this point, but expect veterans rather than young players to be shopped.

OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch reports the following: the Pittsburgh Penguins have put contract talks with Sergei Gonchar on hold for a while as the two sides are at odds over his value. His cap hit this season is $5 million but he could easily earn over $6 million per on the open market...Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is trying to unload contracts, perhaps some impending UFAs like Aaron Ward, Joe Corvo and Niclas Wallin, while Ray Whitney will likely get the opportunity to be dealt to a contender.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Rutherford could dump salary now but the salary cap makes it difficult to find any decent deals. It's possible he might be able to start unloading some salary by the December 19th holiday trade freeze but most likely such moves will occur in the second half, especially closer to the March 3rd trade deadline

ESPN.COM: Don't be surprised if the struggling Hurricanes possibly place a player or two on waivers as early as this week...One area where the Edmonton Oilers are healthy is the blueline and they might consider dealing from there later in the season, with Tom Gilbert being one name mentioned in trade rumors

SPECTOR'S NOTE: If the Hurricanes and Oilers make any trades they won't likely come until the second half of the season.

Nothing real eye opening and pretty much what most of us are saying here but the December 19th trade freeze is an interesting target date.

Come one people... We are 26 games into a bad season and JR is going to trade Staal to make a point.. And Canesfan54 saying Staal is not happy, how did you come up with that??? Did he telll you??? Or is it a black eye peas thing "I Got A Feeling"..  He is the future of this team and it has been said many times by upper management.. To think he is going to wipe the slate clean and start over is a joke.. There are player you keep through thick and thin  Staal and Ward  are it.. I have to agree there needs to be major changes but trading Staal.. Who will replace him? Sutter? Yeah he has been playing good but it feels like deja vu from last year..  When people where ready to sit Cam down and start Leighton because Cam was in a funk and Leighton hit a streak.. Sutter has showed allot of improvements but I think he hit a streak thats all. Staal is in a class of his own... That is my 2cents

Come one people... We are 26 games into a bad season and JR is going to trade Staal to make a point.. And Canesfan54 saying Staal is not happy, how did you come up with that??? Did he telll you??? Or is it a black eye peas thing "I Got A Feeling"..  He is the future of this team and it has been said many times by upper management.. To think he is going to wipe the slate clean and start over is a joke.. There are player you keep through thick and thin  Staal and Ward  are it.. I have to agree there needs to be major changes but trading Staal.. Who will replace him? Sutter? Yeah he has been playing good but it feels like deja vu from last year..  When people where ready to sit Cam down and start Leighton because Cam was in a funk and Leighton hit a streak.. Sutter has showed allot of improvements but I think he hit a streak thats all. Staal is in a class of his own... That is my 2cents
But what else do you want us to discuss?  How bad the Canes are stinking it up?  We've got that one covered.

I see your point on Staal and Cam but a good GM would be willing to entertain any offer.  Remember, Wayne Gretzky was one traded away during the prime of his career.  Staal is no Gretzky.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

SamsonovFan']

But what else do you want us to discuss?  How bad the Canes are stinking it up?  We've got that one covered.

I see your point on Staal and Cam but a good GM would be willing to entertain any offer.  Remember, Wayne Gretzky was one traded away during the prime of his career.  Staal is no Gretzky.

LOL!!! I am not saying he would not entertain offers but to trade him to wake up a locker room of vets during there afternoon naps.. I refuse to believe that..

I would hope that Staal is not happy....we are losing.

I would probably think that Staal isn't happy with his situation because the team is not building around him.  Brind'Amour's minutes over the past two years have hurt the team.  JR has signed older vets instead of youth.  Mo favors the vets and restrains the players in the system by doing so.  It can be perceived that management favors the older players versus the future of the franchise.   That is a pretty thick brick wall that is keeping our team from flourishing.  I would think those signals would confuse and frustrate both Staal and Ward. 

What team signs two young franchise players and surrounds them with old slower vets and offers them contracts with NTC?  JR 

I would want to be on another team.

I say again it is very unlikely we will trade Staal.  Unless JR has decided he needs to take this team in a new direction or unless Staal either wants or needs to be traded for reasons not known to us. I have no knowledge of either scenario so it is really a" what if" discussion at this point.  But it is not unprecedented in the NHL to make this kind of trade.

What is most interesting to me is the fact that 2 or 3 weeks ago we would have all dismissed this kind of rumour as absurd. But now we don't dismiss it. In fact I suspect many of us are saying 'I don't think so but it could happen".

[quote name='RedSox-n-Canes wrote:

SamsonovFan']

I would hope that Staal is not happy....we are losing.

I would probably think that Staal isn't happy with his situation because the team is not building around him.  Brind'Amour's minutes over the past two years have hurt the team.  JR has signed older vets instead of youth.  Mo favors the vets and restrains the players in the system by doing so.  It can be perceived that management favors the older players versus the future of the franchise.   That is a pretty thick brick wall that is keeping our team from flourishing.  I would think those signals would confuse and frustrate both Staal and Ward. 

What team signs two young franchise players and surrounds them with old slower vets and offers them contracts with NTC?  JR 

I would want to be on another team.

Of course he is not happy with the season.. Who is???  But to say he wants to get trade because of a bad start to a season is a joke... Let me ask you a question did you have a problem with the slower Vets last year (other then Brindy) when we went to the finals??  Did you see this coming?? Of cource everyone is going to say they seen this coming because hindsight is 20/20...  We where set to be a top 10 team in the NHL this took everyone by surprise..

Sevaeral questions:

What can the Canes get for the guy?  Which teams would be willing to pay that price?  Or, is he an over-valued player that has yet to live up to his potential and there a no teams that would be willing to "bet the ranch" to aquire his services?

The latest from Eklund.  I can't tell if it is a rumor or just pub inspired chat. But it is a slow day and not any good football games on so it gives me something to do.  I would really hate to see Boychuk go anywhere.

T
he rumors continue around Carolina who is looking like a team so farout of sync it is scary. the latest is that they have interest in
Tomas Plekanec
. While I am not hearing who could be heading back to Montreal, two prospects the Canadiens love I am told are
Zach
Boychuk
and
Drayson Bowman
. Especially Boychuk. Of course the Canes would only move for Plekanec if they knew they could sign him.

The latest from Eklund.  I can't tell if it is a rumor or just pub inspired chat. But it is a slow day and not any good football games on so it gives me something to do.  I would really hate to see Boychuk go anywhere.

T
he rumors continue around Carolina who is looking like a team so far out of sync it is scary. the latest is that they have interest in
Tomas Plekanec
. While I am not hearing who could be heading back to Montreal, two prospects the Canadiens love I am told are
Zach
Boychuk
and
Drayson Bowman
. Especially Boychuk. Of course the Canes would only move for Plekanec if they knew they could sign him.

I hear Boychuk is not ready for the NHL level yet and isn't having all that great of a year.

first off, no i don't have a direct line to eric staal (wish i did, i'd ask him what's up with this team)...but i watch him play, see the expressions on his face.  he isn't showing that passion for the game that he has had in years past.  he just doesn't seem "into" it...and i just don't FEEL any great chemistry between him and the rest of the team.  it's just my observation...nothing to get excited about really.

i also don't think for a minute that jr would trade him just to shake up the locker room.  that would be immature and counter-productive.  what i do see is that perhaps management might think that since the season is in the tank anyway, and we do have a group of older vets, perhaps now is the time to regroup...that doesn't happen overnight, or even in one season.  so yeah, i think that might be one option that he would consider.  and i don't think it's too far fetched to say that staal can play better/be more successful elsewhere...who knows? 

first off, no i don't have a direct line to eric staal (wish i did, i'd ask him what's up with this team)...but i watch him play, see the expressions on his face.  he isn't showing that passion for the game that he has had in years past.  he just doesn't seem "into" it...and i just don't FEEL any great chemistry between him and the rest of the team.  it's just my observation...nothing to get excited about really.

i also don't think for a minute that jr would trade him just to shake up the locker room.  that would be immature and counter-productive.  what i do see is that perhaps management might think that since the season is in the tank anyway, and we do have a group of older vets, perhaps now is the time to regroup...that doesn't happen overnight, or even in one season.  so yeah, i think that might be one option that he would consider.  and i don't think it's too far fetched to say that staal can play better/be more successful elsewhere...who knows? 

I wonder if the "expressions on his face" and" lack of passion "could have anything to do with the fact that he was playing injured for longer than any of us knew, and is only two games back from his injury ?     And how could he be more successful than winning the cup in 06, going to the ECF in 09 (and being one of a game seven stars), playing on Canada's Olympic team and being the All Star MVP---------before the age of 25?

T
he rumors continue around Carolina who is looking like a team so far out of sync it is scary. the latest is that they have interest in
Tomas Plekanec
Zach
Boychuk
and
Drayson Bowman

Isn't Plekanec a center?  That seems strange.

From Spectors:

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER: Chip Alexander reports Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford has some hard decisions to make with his struggling club and sooner rather than later. The question of course is what?

SPECTOR'S NOTE: There's little Rutherford can do right now, but I suspect once we get into the second half of the season he'll start shopping some guys when their trade value might be higher. I'd say the only untouchables are Eric Staal and Cam Ward at this point, but expect veterans rather than young players to be shopped.

OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch reports the following: the Pittsburgh Penguins have put contract talks with Sergei Gonchar on hold for a while as the two sides are at odds over his value. His cap hit this season is $5 million but he could easily earn over $6 million per on the open market...Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is trying to unload contracts, perhaps some impending UFAs like Aaron Ward, Joe Corvo and Niclas Wallin, while Ray Whitney will likely get the opportunity to be dealt to a contender.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Rutherford could dump salary now but the salary cap makes it difficult to find any decent deals. It's possible he might be able to start unloading some salary by the December 19th holiday trade freeze but most likely such moves will occur in the second half, especially closer to the March 3rd trade deadline

ESPN.COM: Don't be surprised if the struggling Hurricanes possibly place a player or two on waivers as early as this week...One area where the Edmonton Oilers are healthy is the blueline and they might consider dealing from there later in the season, with Tom Gilbert being one name mentioned in trade rumors

SPECTOR'S NOTE: If the Hurricanes and Oilers make any trades they won't likely come until the second half of the season.

Nothing real eye opening and pretty much what most of us are saying here but the December 19th trade freeze is an interesting target date.

Well, there is the Christmas freeze, but I've read somewhere that the commissioner's office supposedly will inform

the league GMs around New Year's with their early estimate on next year's cap max.  The bad economy initially

caused concern that it would drop, however the Player's Union apparently has the right to bump the cap max up

by 5% no matter what the league numbers say. 

The Gonchar extension is old news.  Supposedly the two sides have already discussed 2 years at $3.8m / year,

but Ray Shero has to wait until the GM's are unofficially notified by the league's early estimates for next year's

cap max before he can realistically give someone an extension. While he may not be able to keep both Gonchar

and Letang, I don't see the Penguins being interested in any of the 'Canes (except maybe Whitney)  -- and only

then would it be at the deadline similar to last season's deal for Bill Guerin.

Edmonton overpaid Gilbert a couple of years ago.  But, just for example: a Cullen-for-Gilbert deal doesn't make

sense unless JR has already decided he either doesn't want - or can't sign - Corvo.  Gilbert could replace Corvo.

Joe Corvo is a decent defenseman having a bad year,  but he's still better at both ends of the ice than Gilbert. 

It could very well be an active March 3rd trade deadline.  Parity has reared it's ugly head which gives everyone hope

plus the GM's will all be in Vancouver for the Olympics up until 3 days before the deadline. 

Anytime you put that many GM's in an enclosed space anything can happen.  smile.gif 

[quote name='UNCCaniac8 wrote:

OBXer']The latest from
Eklund
.  I can't tell if it is a rumor or just pub inspired chat. But it is a slow day and not any good football games on so it gives me something to do.  I would really hate to see Boychuk go anywhere.

T
Tomas Plekanec
Zach
Boychuk
and
Drayson Bowman

Isn't Plekanec a center?  That seems strange.

Not so strange if your going to trade   a center or two. But it is  Eklund so ...... take it with a grain of salt.