The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

[quote name='remkin wrote:

dinz']well rem, it wouldnt be a mistake if he stays and   canes sneak in.... i like to keep a open mind,and believe in the unthinkable...  so, lets  see what happens

I must respect the limitless optimism and against all odds thinking of some of us, but even with this recent run, our chances of making the playoffs moved from 0.1% to 0.7%. No reason not to keep hope alive in the heart, but JR best be thinking clearly. He's already traded Cullen and Wallin and the price for failing to move Whitney is to get nothing for him. 

JR has exactly one more game to watch before the window closes. Can't wait and see what happens. Either get a pick, or get nothing and a 0.7% chance of making the playoffs, and even then in the 8 seed with no Cullen. The choice there is obvious.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

dinz']well rem, it wouldnt be a mistake if he stays and   canes sneak in.... i like to keep a open mind,and believe in the unthinkable...  so, lets  see what happens

I must respect the limitless optimism and against all odds thinking of some of us, but even with this recent run, our chances of making the playoffs moved from 0.1% to 0.7%. No reason not to keep hope alive in the heart, but JR best be thinking clearly. He's already traded Cullen and Wallin and the price for failing to move Whitney is to get nothing for him. 

JR has exactly one more game to watch before the window closes. Can't wait and see what happens. Either get a pick, or get nothing and a 0.7% chance of making the playoffs, and even then in the 8 seed with no Cullen.

Fans, keep hope alive. JR make the obvious move.

And remember, just because you make those trades that the rest of the team keeps playing.

Today from Eklund....Flames and Canucks interested in Whitney and the Pens also in the mix; yesterday was that talks with LA continue.  He also says that Whit is interested in a trade and extension vs. a rental and that if it has to be a rental then he will go to the Pens. 

From Spectors:

CSNPHILLY.COM: Tim Panaccio reports Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has no news to report on the status of injured goalie Ray Emery. Despite trade speculation Holmgren maintains he's comfortable with Michael Leighton as his starter with Brian Boucher as his backup if Emery remains sidelined following the Olympic break or beyond the March trade deadline. Possible low-rent goalies could include Vancouver's Andrew Raycroft, Carolina's Manny Legace and the Islanders Martin Biron.

I don't see the Canes being able to let Manny go with Cam's back injury.  Based on what JR said yesterday, it doesn't sound like they're willing to chance Cam coming back this season unless they're 100% positive he'll be ok, which is fine with me.  If the team plays well down the stretch for Manny, he'll be able to an NHL contract as a UFA which imo is a better guarantee than being a rental.  Of course I'll be wrong if he carries some lucky team all the way to finals.

From Spectors:

CSNPHILLY.COM:

Tim Panaccio reports Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has no news to report on the status of injured goalie Ray Emery. Despite trade speculation Holmgren maintains he's comfortable with Michael Leighton as his starter with Brian Boucher as his backup if Emery remains sidelined following the Olympic break or beyond the March trade deadline. Possible low-rent goalies could include Vancouver's Andrew Raycroft, Carolina's Manny Legace and the Islanders Martin Biron.

I don't see the Canes being able to let Manny go with Cam's back injury.  Based on what JR said yesterday, it doesn't sound like they're willing to chance Cam coming back this season unless they're 100% positive he'll be ok, which is fine with me.  If the team plays well down the stretch for Manny, he'll be able to an NHL contract as a UFA which imo is a better guarantee than being a rental.  Of course I'll be wrong if he carries some lucky team all the way to finals.
If Philly made a move for Manny, it would probably drive Leights over the edge.

Article from Yahoo sportspage:

NHL trade window gets thrown open on Monday for what could be two wild days before Wednesday's trade deadline and talks haven't exactly picked up around the league just yet. Things are expected to pick up this weekend as the Olympics draw to a close.

One team that will be actively trying to pick up some players is the Ottawa Senators, according to the Ottawa Sun. The Sens need help on the blue line and apparently are focused on three different defensemen: the Carolina Hurricanes' Aaron Ward(notes), the Atlanta Thrashers' Pavel Kubina(notes), and the New York Islanders' Andy Sutton(notes).

The Senators have opened up some salary space on the roster by sending Jonathan Cheechoo(notes) (and his $3.5 million salary-cap hit) down. So now it wouldn't be so hard to take Ward's $2.5 million contract, the $5 million contract of Kubina, or the $2.9 million cap hit of Sutton.

To think all these supposively interested teams coulda had Ward at 50% off earlier in the year, makes me wonder if teams are actually interested or media outlets are just trying to find possible trades without paying attention to how bad he's been this year.

Nothing too new and exciting for today from Spectors:

BOSTON GLOBE:Fluto Shinzawa reports on possible moves by the Bruins, who're seekinga defenseman and a scoring forward. Three potential defensepossibilities include Atlanta's Pavel Kubina, Carolina's Joe Corvo andNashville's Dan Hamhuis, with the latter being the youngest and mostaffordable. Shinzawa claims the Bruins have "kicked the tires" onAnaheim forward Teemu Selanne. Potential targets for rivals GMs couldbe Blake Wheeler and Mark Stuart but Shinzawa believes the Bruins couldput their draft picks in play. Toronto's first rounder is not availablebut they do have their own first rounder in this year's draft plusthree second round picks, plus two picks in each of the first tworounds in 2011.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: The Bruins will make one or two moves bythe deadline and I think they'll part with some of those draft picksrather than a roster player.

OTTAWA SUN:Bruce Garrioch reports the Senators are thin on the blueline and couldseek a puck-moving defenseman, although that could be a commoditydifficult to come by. They could offer up defenseman Brian Lee for theright deal. It's believed Murray spoke with the Wild regarding MarekZidlicky but they hope to re-sign him. Murray could take another run atOilers defenseman Ladislav Smid, who was part of the failed deal forDany Heatley last summer. Atlanta's Pavel Kubina could be a possibilitybut they might not wish to part with him. Other options could beColumbus's Jan Hejda, Washington's Brian Pothier, Carolina's AaronWard, Florida's Dennis Seidenberg, Colorado's John-Michael Liles andthe Islanders Andy Sutton.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: The Senators will land a defenseman byMarch 3rd. I'm guessing Ward, Seidenberg or Sutton could be the viabletargets but one shouldn't rule out the possibility they could bepursuing someone not listed by Garrioch.

From the N & O:

Canes general manager Jim Rutherford said today that he had fielded calls from 10 teams in the last four days about potential deals. But Rutherford said that doesn't necessarily mean anything will happen Monday, the day after the Olympic trade freeze ends, or on Tuesday leading up to the NHL trade deadline Wednesday at 3 p.m.

"We'll have to see how it plays out," Rutherford said. "It's an interesting time. It's always hard to read.

"There's no time line. We'll walk through it. If something makes sense for us, we'll do it." 

Rutherford would not rule out a trade involving a player currently under contract. 

"I'm getting inquiries on more players than I expected," he said. "That does not mean more players will be traded. But there are more inquiries than I anticipated.

"They do include calls on players will not be unrestricted. I'm a little surprised by that. Not to say they wouldn't be good pickups, but it's something we're looking at."

Full Blog Article

I think AWard heading to Ottawa makes the most sense of all the rumors today and fits in with JR's comments.  Not sure what we'd get back because he does have some salary that'll go with him but I'd be happy with a decent draft pick.

LOL Eklund started tweeting shortly after midnight with his e's.

Even Spectors couldn't wait until morning.  It's not much but I'm cracking up at how eager they are to start reporting and how I am to listen.

NESN.COM: James Murphy reports a source told him to keep an eye on the Boston Bruins and Phoenix Coyotes as potential trade partners. The Coyotes are believed shopping young forward Peter Mueller. It's believed the Bruins have "kicked the tires" on Carolina's Ray Whitney and Columbu's Raffi Torres. Another name that's out there is Toronto's Alexei Ponikarovsky.

Spectors early 3/1

I just hope we dont deal Corvo it took us a long time to acquire 2 offensively and defensively decent players which is why their so wanted. Moving Corvo just wouldn't be smart unless we get a 2nd liner back. Unfortunately sometimes I think our defensemen have more scoring prowess then our 2nd and 3rd lines though.

Corvo's a UFA, it doesn't make any sense not to move him, especially considering what we can get back. If we really want him back next year we can try this summer. I have a feeling his asking price will be too high, though.

It would only make sense to keep   Corvo if he is part of our future plan and if we thought we could sign him before the end of the season.  Wow Let the games begin. I wonder what the Canes will look like on Wednesday afternoon.

It would only make sense to keep   Corvo if he is part of our future plan and if we thought we could sign him before the end of the season.  Wow Let the games begin. I wonder what the Canes will look like on Wednesday afternoon.

J.R. doesn't do negotiations and contracts during the season.  I'm not saying he won't start now, but he hasn't in the past.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

OBXer']It would only make sense to keep   Corvo if he is part of our future plan and if
we thought we could sign him before the end of the season.
  Wow Let the games begin. I wonder what the Canes will look like on Wednesday afternoon.

J.R. doesn't do negotiations and contracts during the season.  I'm not saying he won't start now, but he hasn't in the past.

Your right.  I guess I should say at the end of the season.    I really think if the deal is right Corvo will be elsewhere come Wednesday.

Corvo's a UFA, it doesn't make any sense not to move him, especially considering what we can get back. If we really want him back next year we can try this summer. I have a feeling his asking price will be too high, though.
Hmmm I agree that Corvo's price should go up but I wonder if that big beautiful house the Corvo's built will factor into a possible re-signing with the Canes?  He also stands to lose a lot of money if he has to move with that alone and that should be worth a discount.  I can't see JR not wanting to re-sign him, it will all come down to price.

I always wonder about the financial responsibility of building a big multi-million dollar home in a new city. Why would anyone do such a think if they had even a hint of thought about not staying more than a year or two? Obviously Corvo and his family plan on staying here a while...ala Aaron Ward, Ron Francis, Erik Cole, etc. Even though they might play elsewhere before the end of their career, Raleigh will be home for a while. Matt Cullen did the same thing....built HUGE house a while back. It would be silly to own several 2 million dollar homes, even on hockey players salaries.

Tweeted by the Fourth Period:

Hurricanes involved in some serious trade talks... trying to figure out a new home for Whitney, Ward, Corvo, among others

So far (could change), it looks like the Ray Whitney to LA trade is off the table. Sides couldn't agree on extension during break.

From Darren Dreger's blog:

The Carolina Hurricanes have at least three defencemen Canes general manager Jim Rutherford would be willing to deal.

and
are attracting attention,
with the return for Corvo expected to be high.

Dreger

I would expect Corvo's value on the market to be high.  How many puck moving defencemen of his caliber are on the market?  Not many.  I can't wait to see what we get for these guys.

We are 27th in the league in goals against.  I'd say our defense needs tweaking, not a rebuild but clearly there is room for improvement.  Ward will be gone, that alone will help.

I just don't feel all that great about losing Corvo.. I mean, look at our defense next year without Corvo -- Gleason, Pitkanen, MAYBE Alberts, Carson, Picard... hm...

We are 27th in the league in goals against.  I'd say our defense needs tweaking, not a rebuild but clearly there is room for improvement.  Ward will be gone, that alone will help.

Tweaking?  Sorry, but our defense needs more than tweaking.  If Corvo, Ward and possibly Alberts or Pitkanen are traded, then I'd say that's a rebuild.  It looks likely that Ward is gone for sure, and from everything we have heard, Corvo likely goes as well.  Our defense has needed more than tweaking since the Cup run.

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']We are 27th in the league in goals against.  I'd say our defense needs tweaking, not a rebuild but clearly there is room for improvement.  Ward will be gone, that alone will help.

Tweaking?  Sorry, but our defense needs more than tweaking.  If Corvo, Ward and possibly Alberts or Pitkanen are traded, then I'd say that's a rebuild.  It looks likely that Ward is gone for sure, and from everything we have heard, Corvo likely goes as well.  Our defense has needed more than tweaking since the Cup run.

??? Aren't you the one who said it would be nice if we didn't have to rebuild?  Did I misunderstand?  There are a lot of IF's in your post.  Of course IF they all materialize we need to rebuild.  But I don't think they will.  I believe Pitkanen is going nowhere and I also don't think the loss of Alberts and Ward mean were are in rebuild mode.  To me that's tweaking but it's all semantics I guess.  If we lose Corvo and he doesn't resign, then it's another ballgame.  But the key word is IF.

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

coastal_caniac wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']We are 27th in the league in goals against.  I'd say our defense needs tweaking, not a rebuild but clearly there is room for improvement.  Ward will be gone, that alone will help.

??? Aren't you the one who said it would be nice if we didn't have to rebuild?  Did I misunderstand?  There are a lot of IF's in your post.  Of course IF they all materialize we need to rebuild.  But I don't think they will.  I believe Pitkanen is going nowhere and I also don't think the loss of Alberts and Ward mean were are in rebuild mode.  To me that's tweaking but it's all semantics I guess.  If we lose Corvo and he doesn't resign, then it's another ballgame.  But the key word is IF.

You are right, maybe I should have said "tweaking" every year instead of rebuild, becuase that is what the team has done. To me, tweaking means you replace a player, maybe two at most.   My point is "tweaking" isnt working, and hasn't since the Cup run.  IMO, our defense has been bad enough it needs more than tweaking.  

So, IF we go into the season with Gleason, Pitkanen, Picard, Carson, Corvo and Alberts, I would agree that's a tweak.  But I don't see it that way.  Wallin is gone, Ward is most definitely gone, JR is actively shopping Corvo and I could also see Alberts being moved.  I would be surprised if Pitkanen goes anywhere but you never know.  IF that happens, its a rebuild.  I'm more than willing to rebuild, cause "tweaking" aint working.