The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

At his current salary I'm torn about Corvo. He is clearly a high skilled player, but has a tendency to make questionable decisions that can lead to turnovers. On balance I think that defenseman that can bring the offense are relatively rare, so have a value that is higher than purely defensive players thus I wouldn't want to let one go to say Russia. But I digress.

The bottom line is that he will likely command a higher price next year, and may not be worth it. Anyways, at this point I think all unrestricted free agents should be let go for picks. If they are really what JR wants next year he can buy them back, but at that point he has all of the other free agents in the NHL to pick from.

I'm willing to bet that every Finn the Canes have, they will still have after the deadline. The return for Ward and/or Alberts will be low considering their numbers, so maybe JR could move them together. Every year JR has to fill two spots on defense. Last season it was Babchuk and Melichar, I wonder who it will be next season.

I don't like the idea of trading Corvo. I understamd the return could be high, but if you believe that a player is REALLY part of the team's future, you don't trade him. So I feel that if JR trades Corvo, he's indifferent about him returning.

I'm willing to bet that every Finn the Canes have, they will still have after the deadline. The return for Ward and/or Alberts will be low considering their numbers, so maybe JR could move them together. Every year JR has to fill two spots on defense. Last season it was Babchuk and Melichar, I wonder who it will be next season.

I don't like the idea of trading Corvo. I understand the return could be high, but if you believe that a player is REALLY part of the team's future, you don't trade him. So I feel that if JR trades Corvo, he's indifferent about him returning.

Award will likely go because of his salary but I agree, Alberts would not bring a high return which is likely why he's not been in any of the rumors.  Corvo has trade value which is why he's been mentioned in several articles but I agree, if he goes its because JR is indifferent to re-signing him and would rather get full value when the bidding could be at its highest point.

There is almost no correlation with trading Corvo and resigning Corvo.  He's a UFA and as such, will be available to the highest bidder/best deal in his or his agent's mind.  He certainly will consider whether or not he likes playing here, wants to raise a family here, and thinks there's a chance for a championship here.  Not to beat the proverbial dead horse, but we darn well better trade Joe Corvo and get whatever we can for him...draft pick(s) or prospect(s).

I love that we are 9 out of our last 11, but take a look at our schedule...it's brutal in March.  We need to go something like 17-2-2 (or something similar that would get us 90 points - and it's still a stretch) to even sniff at the playoffs.  So we need to keep our eye on a significant retooling for next year and the years after that.  We need to be younger, faster, and more exciting.  I'd love to see us play a bunch of 6-4 or 5-3 games next year.  Lots of youth, energy, and scrappiness. The only way that happens is to get assets in return for our UFAs.  So trade 'em all...and maybe, if it makes financial sense next year we sign one or two of our veterens back again....but don't lose sleep over it either way.  For my money's worth, I'd be happy to sign Corvo to a 2 year deal next year, but only after we got something for him as a rental this year.

There is almost no correlation with trading Corvo and resigning Corvo.  He's a UFA and as such, will be available to the highest bidder/best deal in his or his agent's mind.  He certainly will consider whether or not he likes playing here, wants to raise a family here, and thinks there's a chance for a championship here.  Not to beat the proverbial dead horse, but we darn well better trade Joe Corvo and get whatever we can for him...draft pick(s) or prospect(s).

I love that we are 9 out of our last 11, but take a look at our schedule...it's brutal in March.  We need to go something like 17-2-2 (or something similar that would get us 90 points - and it's still a stretch) to even sniff at the playoffs.  So we need to keep our eye on a significant retooling for next year and the years after that.  We need to be younger, faster, and more exciting.  I'd love to see us play a bunch of 6-4 or 5-3 games next year.  Lots of youth, energy, and scrappiness. The only way that happens is to get assets in return for our UFAs.  So trade 'em all...and maybe, if it makes financial sense next year we sign one or two of our veterens back again....but don't lose sleep over it either way.  For my money's worth, I'd be happy to sign Corvo to a 2 year deal next year, but only after we got something for him as a rental this year.

That's exactly it. We must trade any unrestricted free agent that we can get anything for. Frankly I would trade a restricted free agent or two also, which apparently JR is getting some inquiries on, but at least those guys can be traded later. The unrestricted guys go now or we get nothing. To me Cullen is the one guy I would like to get back the most.

The Canes can't afford to take chances resigning UFA's in the summer.  Get what you can now, while we still have a card or two to play.  I really like Corvo but the fact is he can be replaced in free agency.

I think JR has made it pretty clear that every UFA is on the block and is willing to hear offers on others.  I don't understand any of the arguments for keeping any of them.  It just doesn't make sense - they are all gone when this season is done and why would the Cane's want that to happen without getting anything for them?  Some of these guys, including Corvo, have potential for a great return and we need those assets for the future more than we need any of them the rest of this season.

I think JR has made it pretty clear that every UFA is on the block and is willing to hear offers on others.  I don't understand any of the arguments for keeping any of them.  It just doesn't make sense - they are all gone when this season is done and why would the Cane's want that to happen without getting anything for them?  Some of these guys, including Corvo, have potential for a great return and we need those assets for the future more than we need any of them the rest of this season.

The argument is that if we don't trade someone like Corvo, the Canes get to contract negotiate with him before any other team does.

Maybe JR should trade for that Miller goalie guy from the US olympic team. I think he was pretty good, eh?

sarcasm/>   wink.gif

[quote name='jeromeo87 wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']I think JR has made it pretty clear that every UFA is on the block and is willing to hear offers on others.  I don't understand any of the arguments for keeping any of them.  It just doesn't make sense - they are all gone when this season is done and why would the Cane's want that to happen without getting anything for them?  Some of these guys, including Corvo, have potential for a great return and we need those assets for the future more than we need any of them the rest of this season.

The argument is that if we don't trade someone like Corvo, the Canes get to contract negotiate with him before any other team does.

That's a huge risk and you are assuming the player will re-sign without testing the waters.  It was proven last season when both LaRose and Cole went out and tested the market on July 1st and were re-signed afterward.    Unless a player really wants to be here for whatever personal reason they may have, they are going to see what offers are out there.  The unknown is not worth it when a player like Corvo can get us a good return and that return is known right now as the deal is being made.  A bird in the hand...

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

jeromeo87 wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']I think JR has made it pretty clear that every UFA is on the block and is willing to hear offers on others.  I don't understand any of the arguments for keeping any of them.  It just doesn't make sense - they are all gone when this season is done and why would the Cane's want that to happen without getting anything for them?  Some of these guys, including Corvo, have potential for a great return and we need those assets for the future more than we need any of them the rest of this season.

That's a huge risk and you are assuming the player will re-sign without testing the waters.  It was proven last season when both LaRose and Cole went out and tested the market on July 1st and were re-signed afterward.    Unless a player really wants to be here for whatever personal reason they may have, they are going to see what offers are out there.  The unknown is not worth it when a player like Corvo can get us a good return and that return is known right now as the deal is being made.  A bird in the hand...

Oh, I understand completely what you are saying. I'm just telling you the argument some may have.

I'm not sure how interested he is in testing the waters, the man did come here because he couldn't stand media always being all over him which is what made him available to us. We're one of few teams that offer the luxury of privacy.

He didn't come here of his own choice, he was traded here. No choice in the matter. And he's never signed a contract here. Yeah he was happy to get out of Ottawa (ironically enough since they are reported to now be looking for a puck moving d-man). But there are a lot of cities in the NHL that provide a level of privacy similar to Raleigh. He may not want to test the waters, but will JR pay him what he wants? I would guess no based on past history, but time will tell.

I've been totally off the forums since they changed the, however have still loyal been following the team all year. But now with trade deadling approaching im gonna jump in. After seeing everyone's opinion on whether Corvo should go or not, im for one a believer that if the right deal comes, we need to take it, however Corvo will indeed be difficult to replace. I was looking at the list of free agent defenceman avaliable in the summer and really the only players to replace Corvo that MAY be on the market are Paul Martin and Marek Zidlicky. And they may resign with their respective teams. But otherwise Corvo is the best offensive dman on the market.

I myself would rather see Joni go than Corvo. Corvo can at least play defense and has a much better shot or shots should I say, than Joni!

I know Joni can pass but,overall IMO  Joe is a better d-man.

I myself would rather see Joni go than Corvo. Corvo can at least play defense and has a much better shot or shots should I say, than Joni!

I prefer Pitkanen.  At times when he was injured, we couldn't get the puck out of zone.  He anticipates ahead of time and sees the floor better.  He is also better at blocking shots or passes with his stick.

A little update from Chip (N&O) via Twitter:

# Word has it Whitney will either be in the Canes' lineup tonight or on his way to another team. He will not sit out the game. We'll see.

# The trade scuttlebutt in Toronto: Ray Whitney to the Pens, Aaron Ward to either Ottawa or Boston. Remember, scuttlebutt.

Wow....you'll be in the minority with that train of thought. Pits is a WAY better defenseman than Corvo, in every aspect of the game.

Per WRAL:

Aaron Ward's deal is done and he's a healthy scratch for tonight's game in TO.  Their probably waiting to announce the deal till tomorrow so Ottawa (my guess) can save a little $ on his per day salary.   Now the question is....what's coming back the other way.

[quote name='TheBigKahuna wrote:

djharley']I myself would rather see Joni go than Corvo. Corvo can at least play defense and has a much better shot or shots should I say, than Joni!

Wow....you'll be in the minority with that train of thought. Pits is a WAY better defenseman than Corvo, in every aspect of the game.

IMO, until Joni learns to hustle, Joe will always have a leg up. Both are very good D-men. Joni drives me bonkers when he glides back to catch someone who's gotten past him.