The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

Per WRAL:

Aaron Ward's deal is done and he's a healthy scratch for tonight's game in TO.  Their probably waiting to announce the deal till tomorrow so Ottawa (my guess) can save a little $ on his per day salary.   Now the question is....what's coming back the other way.

link?

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

TSA']Per WRAL:

Aaron Ward's deal is done and he's a healthy scratch for tonight's game in TO.  Their probably waiting to announce the deal till tomorrow so Ottawa (my guess) can save a little $ on his per day salary.   Now the question is....what's coming back the other way.

link?

Adam Gold on 99.9 The Fan between 3:00-3:15pm after he discussed the Vancouver Olympic hockey with whoever his partner was for that first segment, and right before he had WRAL's Greg Fischel on to discuss the 5th winter weather event in Raleigh this season noting that this event could be nothing more than 1-3 inches of snow on the grassy areas with a slight possibility of some slush on the roadways only if the temp drops low enough to sustain freezing temps.  

All this brought to you by Allen Kelly heating and airconditioning wink.gif

Per WRAL:

I didn't see anything about it on their web site but if they said it, it must be so.   The irony is I just read this morning Award saying he would like to stay.

From Canes Now ..Ward said he'd prefer to stay with the Canes given the adversity of theseason and how the team has responded the past few months.

"When you endure the lack of success we had in September andOctober, and for some reason something turns in December and now we'renine points out of a playoff spot ... I think the feeling in thislocker room is that there's something to prove," Ward said. "We did itlast year with a strong run to the end of the season and into theplayoffs.

One down and ? to go.

I thought it was looking more and more like Ray would squash any trade.

There is a lot of banter going on in the twitter world about Ray not being worth a 1st rounder + a player.  Some think that is why he is still here.

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

coastal_caniac']I thought it was looking more and more like Ray would squash any trade.

There is a lot of banter going on in the twitter world about Ray not being worth a 1st rounder + a player.  Some think that is why he is still here.

Also the fact that reportedly Ray wants at minimum a two-year extension.  But, its anybody's guess at this point.  

Per WRAL:

From Canes Now ..Ward said he'd prefer to stay with the Canes given the adversity of theseason and how the team has responded the past few months.

"When you endure the lack of success we had in September andOctober, and for some reason something turns in December and now we'renine points out of a playoff spot ... I think the feeling in thislocker room is that there's something to prove," Ward said.
"We did itlast year with a strong run to the end of the season and into theplayoffs.

If by "We" he means rolled over in the playoffs and get KO'ed by Scott then yes he had something to do with our season last year. Other then that dunno where the We junk comes from.

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

coastal_caniac']I thought it was looking more and more like Ray would squash any trade.

There are two issues afloat....one is, if you're a GM and have a valuable asset that is tradeable, then you get whatever you can get for him; hopefully that means the highest value....there's no such thing as "too high of an asking price".  In the end this is a seller's market and the game of chicken is either going to yield an overpayment or an underpayment; not really much of a chance that anybody will say, "...wow that's a pretty fair deal there". 

Conversely, the buyer can just choose to "hold out" and play the game of chicken as well and hope that he get's a deadline deal so that the selling GM doesn't walk away w/nothing for his asset.  While JR is regarded as a tough negotiator, if he's so determined to "win" the trade, he's liable to end up with much less or nothing at all.  Factor into this equation the fact that Ray holds some serious cards w/his "no movement" clause and you have the Canes at a serious disadvantage in any game of chicken.

The second issue is the perception of Ray throughout all of this.  Rumors are rumors (LA and the 3 yr. extension) and most have been discounted....and correctly so.  Yet, if Ray is using his NMC to squeeze the Canes and any trading partner for a contract extension (and that is his right), he still comes off as looking a bit selfish.  Yes, it does seem wierd that we expect somebody that we're trading to look out for the team that is trading him.  But he did win a Cup with us, have a position of leadership with us, and we have given him a fair deal when we re-signed him previously. 

Lastly, maybe this is Jimmy's nod to the very, very slim chance that we could sneak into the playoffs...negotiate with a hard line and if somebody wants to overpay, then great.  Otherwise, we still have Ray and he could help us sneak in.  Yes, we do lose out on some future assets, but, as I've said in other posts, we cannot afford to be a team that misses the playoffs on a regular basis.  We cannot "totally" rebuild.  We have to smell competitive every year or we won't have fannies in the seats at the RBC Center. 

So we add one or two extra second round picks, a prospect or two, and maybe a couple of late round picks.  They will help reload the cupboard and also give us trading chips to get better positions/draft picks in this year's draft.  All is not lost, but maybe, just maybe we could have done a little bit better.  However, in the end, we're still going to get younger and change the look of the team.  Most of us think that's probably a good thing....

Flashback to last summer...JR on the night of June 30 was all but saying Cole and LaRose were gone and he was ready to move on. And yet they were signed the afternoon of July 1. There is a lot of gamesmanship going on, and some things won't be decided until the last minute, while some things have already been decided but not announced.

If Ward's deal is done it looks like he won't be going to Ottawa since they picked up Sutton. I'm guessing Boston will still find a way to squeeze him in.

Flashback to last summer...JR on the night of June 30 was all but saying Cole and LaRose were gone and he was ready to move on. And yet they were signed the afternoon of July 1. There is a lot of gamesmanship going on, and some things won't be decided until the last minute, while some things have already been decided but not announced.

If Ward's deal is done it looks like he won't be going to Ottawa since they picked up Sutton. I'm guessing Boston will still find a way to squeeze him in.

I agree. It is a high stakes game of poker right now and     22 hours left to go.   A lot can happen.

Per WRAL:

Someone decided A Ward was more valuable than a box of rocks? No matter what we get on this deal, I say we win this trade. The way he's played most of the season made me wish we'd offered Chelios a deal. He still had life in him (proven by keeping up with the legs of the AHL youngsters with a +35 this season and a boatload of assists) and a couple seasons to kill before his new gig as spokesman for the AARP kicked in.

L

What happened to all that talk that Ray wanted to play here next season and would re sign here after the season. Now talks that he wants an extension where ever he gets traded to? Interesting, we the fans can get a hint at the truth here!

Ward said.
"We did itlast year with a strong run to the end of the season and into theplayoffs.

If by "We" he means rolled over in the playoffs and get KO'ed by Scott then yes he had something to do with our season last year. Other then that dunno where the We junk comes from.

A good way to end the day with a laugh

If Whitney were to accept a trade to a team as a rental I would take him back with open arms next year. If he decides to nix the deal by exacting his no movement clause I would break all ties. Tkachuk accepted the rental trade several times for St. Louis and now they have a great group of young talented players.Tkachuk is still there and  a very important leader on the team.

Correction per the radio, Ward is a healthy scratch tonight but no confirmation of the deal being done.  I guess we'll see, sounds very similar to the Nic Wallin releases leading up to his trade to San Jose.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

JLP']Flashback to last summer...JR on the night of June 30 was all but saying Cole and LaRose were gone and he was ready to move on. And yet they were signed the afternoon of July 1. There is a lot of gamesmanship going on, and some things won't be decided until the last minute, while some things have already been decided but not announced.

Correction per the radio, Ward is a healthy scratch tonight but no confirmation of the deal being done.  I guess we'll see, sounds very similar to the Nic Wallin releases leading up to his trade to San Jose.

I agree.  Sounds like someone go their hand slapped for letting the cat out of the bag prematurely.

Per Darren Dreger:

Pitt told Carolina on Monday night they were out of Whitney running. Ponikarovsky must be why.

With all this trade talk going on, one has wonder what JR is thinking when he sees his team, even as bad as they've been this year, pick up its play in the second half for yet another season and show that they in fact can compete very well with anybody. I just wonder if he's thinking "Do I really want to trade away solid players like Whitney, Corvo, etc". I mean it's just like a seductive pattern...the team plays well enough in second halves to leave people thinking that nothing needs to be done for the next season. Maybe that's why it's a good thing that we're practically too far out this year to leave JR wondering. Of course I don't want to see guys like Whitney go...but still this is our chance to improve long-term instead of going from year to year.

Just has to be frustrating for the GM like it is for us fans.

Per Darren Dreger:

Pitt told Carolina on Monday night they were out of Whitney running. Ponikarovsky must be why.

It would appear Boston or LA are the only ones left that could give us our asking price if the rumors of a 1st rounder and prospect are accurate.  If Whitney has already rejected LA  it is probable doubtful he goes anywhere but of course you never know.

With all this trade talk going on, one has wonder what JR is thinking when he sees his team, even as bad as they've been this year, pick up its play in the second half for yet another season and show that they in fact can compete very well with anybody. I just wonder if he's thinking "Do I really want to trade away solid players like Whitney, Corvo, etc". I mean it's just like a seductive pattern...the team plays well enough in second halves to leave people thinking that nothing needs to be done for the next season. Maybe that's why it's a good thing that we're practically too far out this year to leave JR wondering. Of course I don't want to see guys like Whitney go...but still this is our chance to improve long-term instead of going from year to year.

Just has to be frustrating for the GM like it is for us fans.

Na, JR is WAY to smart of a business man to think that way.  He has made it clear since December that we will be sellers and that Whitney and Corvo are on the block for the right price.  If they are not moved, it isn't going to be because he had second thoughts and decided to see where this little run takes us with these players.  It will because he could not get what he believes is a fair price for them.  He has said he is not going too make a trade just to  make a trade.  He has said it multiple times in every interview he has had and I believe him.  And he has been asked recently about the trades in the middle of this run and he has stuck to his guns every time.  If anything this team has proven that we can win games despite losing players and that just adds more reason to get these guys gone.  The only ones being "seduced" here are a small percentage of fans. 

from EK

Ray Whitney: The Kings, Sabres and Bruins now. The Pens getting Poni are out. Whitney will waive his NTC on Wednesday.

The night before Cullen was traded Eklund named five teams that he could go to.  Ottawa was not one of them.  He is useless.

The fact that the Canes are playing so well now to me shows the beauty of this opportunity. The core guys are ready as is to be at least a borderline playoff team, maybe better. That's why a one time dip down to grab a top draft pick could work out so very well.

It seems to me that everybody loses if Whitney is still here this evening. Whitney loses his leverage, we end up with nothing and a playoff team loses out on a guy who really can make a difference. Whitney still here = fail in my opinion. He's one of my favorites, but he is also the guy who can bring back the most in return. I think it will happen.

At the very least I think we need a first rounder for Whitney and something for Corvo.

From Spector's

James Murphy reports the Bruins are targeting Whitney, Toronto's Tomas Kaberle and Carolina's Erik Cole.

First time I have seen Cole mentioned.

From Spector's

James Murphy reports the Bruins are targeting Whitney, Toronto's Tomas Kaberle and Carolina's Erik Cole.

First time I have seen Cole mentioned.

I wonder what Cole would bring. He has been out so long, but that could cut both ways. High potential guy with good skills who has just been terribly inconsistant. I see us trying to move Cole, but I had thought it would be later. He might need to show something at the end of the year and he has been pretty awful in the playoffs of late, which would seem contrary to a team picking him up now. Still has that speed and that pizzaz, might seem tempting to the right GM.