The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

[quote name='remkin wrote:

OBXer']From Spector's

James Murphy reports the Bruins are targeting Whitney, Toronto's Tomas Kaberle and Carolina's Erik Cole.

First time I have seen Cole mentioned.

I wonder what Cole would bring. He has been out so long, but that could cut both ways. High potential guy with good skills who has just been terribly inconsistant. I see us trying to move Cole, but I had thought it would be later. He might need to show something at the end of the year and he has been pretty awful in the playoffs of late, which would seem contrary to a team picking him up now. Still has that speed and that pizzaz, might seem tempting to the right GM.

I  was thinking along the same lines.   I thought Cole was looking pretty good before his last injury but he has been out a long time.        I thought he would need to play out the season before  a GM would take a chance on his  health.   But he does bring speed and toughness to a lineup so you never know.  I still think a Cole trade is a long shot unless he is coupled with another player.

Chipster Tweet:

Canes could be close to deal on Aaron Ward. Keep an eye on Anaheim. other deals in the works, apparently. Stay tuned.

Edit:  and a follow up:

There are other options with Ward, but Anaheim a good possibility.

Bob McKenzie (TSN): Capitals areinterested in adding a player with a Cup ring and/or playoff experienceas a stabilizing influence. Ray Whitney fits the bill.

I think if I could choose I'd rather see Ray setting up Crosby than Ovechkin. puker.gif

I still think it will be LA or stay put for Ray though. Sounds like the ball is in his court.

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

jeromeo87']Looks like the Bruins have traded Morris to the Coyotes.. A. Ward going back to Boston?

They are also rumored to be back in the Whitney pool.  We'll see.

The B's couldn't have added Ray because of salary.  Freeing up Morris' cap hit helps there.  Maybe at the last minute we send Ray and A. Ward to the Bruins for something.  Probable have to take some salary back but that could mean that Boston would have to sweeten the deal a little.

jeromeo87']Looks like the Bruins have traded Morris to the Coyotes.. A. Ward going back to Boston?

They are also rumored to be back in the Whitney pool.  We'll see.

Seidenberg to Boston so that leaves Ward out.

Well, good for Chiarelli for not making the same mistake that JR made last summer. laugh.gif Good for Seids, too.

B's just picked up Seids and Bartkowski from Florida. I guess Award isn't headed back to Beantown.

McKenzie confirms: Can confirm Chip Alexander's report: Aaron Ward to Anaheim for Justin Pogge and a draft pick. applaud.gif

Why Pogge though? Someone wanting Manny? Or just AHL backfill for replacing Peters?

Tweets from JSPORTSNET:

Ward gone from Caro....next to go will be Walker

I really hope JR can send Walker to a team with a really good chance of winning it all.  Give him away if he has to.

McKenzie confirms: Can confirm Chip Alexander's report: Aaron Ward to Anaheim for Justin Pogge and a draft pick. applaud.gif

Why Pogge though? Someone wanting Manny? Or just AHL backfill for replacing Peters?

It might be because after Peters and Murphy we don't have any real depth in goalies. The way Peters has been playing in the NHL, I think it also opens an option for JR when it comes to Manny this summer.

Twitter:  @NHLSOURCESSAY

Source: Kings no longer in on Whitney.

Edit: 

And from Darren Dreger:

Canes are working on moving at least one more player. With Ward deal and another salary expected to go, it's likely Ray Whitney stays

And from McKenzie:

Carolina's Scott Walker is a target for some teams. Washington and Nashville are two teams who might like his grit and experience.

XM just commented on the McKenzie report and noted that Carolina would like to move one more player than that player would not be Ray Whitney.  Stating that the Ward trade freed up cap space to re-sign Whitney.

Edit:

And just reiterated that Washington is moving in on Scott Walker. 

I hate Washington but I want Scotty to have a shot and Washington is a great place for him to land.

XM just commented on the McKenzie report and noted that Carolina would like to move one more player than that player would not be Ray Whitney.  Stating that the Ward trade freed up cap space to re-sign Whitney.

Please explain exactly how trading A. Ward frees up cap space to re-sign Whitney? They are both UFA next year!

[quote name='rocheccw wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']XM just commented on the McKenzie report and noted that Carolina would like to move one more player than that player would not be Ray Whitney.  Stating that the Ward trade freed up cap space to re-sign Whitney.

Please explain exactly how trading A. Ward frees up cap space to re-sign Whitney? They are both UFA next year!

Call  Tweet McKenzie and ask him.  I'm just regurgitating what I heard.  But supposedly these are reports out of Carolina.  McKenzie is very tied into the Canes.

However, our self imposed cap WILL be going down next year so we need to reduce below what we spent this year.  The amount of money lost this year is relieved with getting Ward off the books now and that may play a part in what we are "allowed:" to spend next year based on this year's loss.  Just WAGging though.

Walker for a 7th rounder? Yeah he's an injury machine, but that is surprising. Pure salary dump at that rate. But good for Scotty; I don't think the Caps will win the Cup this year, but they obviously have a good shot at it. And good of JR to basically give him up for nothing.

rocheccw wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']XM just commented on the McKenzie report and noted that Carolina would like to move one more player than that player would not be Ray Whitney.  Stating that the Ward trade freed up cap space to re-sign Whitney.

Call  Tweet McKenzie and ask him.  I'm just regurgitating what I heard.  But supposedly these are reports out of Carolina.  McKenzie is very tied into the Canes.

However, our self imposed cap WILL be going down next year so we need to reduce below what we spent this year.  The amount of money lost this year is relieved with getting Ward off the books now and that may play a part in what we are "allowed:" to spend next year based on this year's loss.  Just WAGging though.

Also if you go to TSN's tradecenter's page there is a video segment about Walks where they are talking about the salary savings in terms of re-signing Whitney.  Trading Walker and Ward give us 1 million cap relief.

Yah, gotta thing the Caps got the best of this deal, but good for Walker. All minor moves so far though. Still betting that Whitney goes.