The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

Yah, gotta thing the Caps got the best of this deal, but good for Walker. All minor moves so far though. Still betting that Whitney goes.

I don't know it will be interesting.  Everyone, at least the TSN crew, are convinced the Canes are done.  Mentioned the Canes had a targeted number of players they wanted to trade and they hit that target. I would not be surprised to see one more though..

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

rocheccw']

Please explain exactly how trading A. Ward frees up cap space to re-sign Whitney? They are both UFA next year!

Call 
Tweet McKenzie and ask him.  I'm just regurgitating what I heard.  But supposedly these are reports out of Carolina.  McKenzie is very tied into the Canes.

However, our self imposed cap WILL be going down next year so we need to reduce below what we spent this year.  The amount of money lost this year is relieved with getting Ward off the books now and that may play a part in what we are "allowed:" to spend next year based on this year's loss.  Just WAGging though.

Also if you go to TSN's tradecenter's page there is a video segment about Walks where they are talking about the salary savings in terms of re-signing Whitney.  Trading Walker and Ward give us 1 million cap relief.

That cap relief is now. This year. That has nothing to do with resigning a player next year. All three players are free agents after this season. So trading Walker & Ward would not effect if the Canes signing Whitney. Because they could have kept them & just not resigned them.

It would be different if Walker & Ward had years left on their contracts.

Carolinia trades Joe Corvo to Caps for Brian Pother and Oskar Osala. Edit: And a second round pick.

Stephane Yelle has been traded

=McKenzie

Also looks like Alberts to Vancouver

Edit: Confirmed by chip. Edit: 3rd Round pick from Vancouver.

Did not see the Corvo trade coming....that one was a big surprise, and looking at it now, it's a great deal. I guess getting ANYTHING for Yelle is a bonus.

Would like to know what JR got for Alberts before I rank that trade. I like Alberts. He brings hte ONLY toughness this team has to the blueline.

Did not see the Corvo trade coming....that one was a big surprise, and looking at it now, it's a great deal. I guess getting ANYTHING for Yelle is a bonus.

Would like to know what JR got for Alberts before I rank that trade. I like Alberts. He brings hte ONLY toughness this team has to the blueline.

A third rounder.