The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

MN, SJ, ST. Louis, Chicago, Tampa and Ottawa closed for business.  Its been awfully quiet in LA....just saying.

Canes have gotten rid of UFAs Aaron Ward, Scott Walker, Joe Corvo, and Andrew Alberts who had 1 year left on his contract.

Got a 4th rounder for Aaron.

Got a 7th rounder for Scott.

Got a 3rd rounder for Andrew.

Got a 2nd rounder and young player for Corvo.

Nothing on possible Yelle trade though.

Canes have gotten rid of UFAs Aaron Ward, Scott Walker, Joe Corvo, and Andrew Alberts who had 1 year left on his contract.

Don't forget the 2nd round pick for Wallin.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

hopper915']Canes have gotten rid of UFAs Aaron Ward, Scott Walker, Joe Corvo, and Andrew Alberts who had 1 year left on his contract.

Don't forget the 2nd round pick for Wallin.

And the 2nd for Cullen.

Yea, don't know how I forgot about Cullen and Wallin. Cane got a decent amount of draft picks.

With the loss of Corvo and Alberts, we only have 4 dressed d-men.

Guess there will be call-ups tomorrow.

1.) Glad we ended up keeping Ray and hope we resign him.

2.) Sucks we lost Walks and Corvs, especially to the Caps, but I know why for Scott and now we know Osala will start to have the best years of his career since he's a Fin and coming to the Canes.

3.) Not overly excited about the other trades but I guess I can live with em, I just hope all these trades don't mess up our momentum we have going right now but I think JR has mailed in this season.

Yea, don't know how I forgot about Cullen and Wallin. Cane got a decent amount of draft picks.

With the loss of Corvo and Alberts, we only have 4 dressed d-men.

Guess there will be call-ups tomorrow.

I guess Pitkanen will be playing 55 minutes tomorrow night.  laugh.gif

Tweeted by Damien Cox of Toronto:

Carolina dumping all kinds of bodies today. Clearly, they realized something serious had to be done before Leafs are out of sight.

Canes got:

2nd round pick for UFA Wallin.

2nd round pick & Young D Picard for UFA Cullen.

4th round pick & Young G Pogge for UFA A. Ward

7th round pick for UFA Walker.

2nd round pick & Young F Osala for UFA Corvo. Also had to take D Pothier in salary dump, but he is a UFA at end of year.

3rd round pick for Alberts, who had one year left on contract.

6th round pick & Young C Cedric Lalonde-McNicoll for UFA Yelle & Young C Harrison Reed.

Not too bad of a day, but the Canes will regret not getting the Whitney deal done unless he resigns for 1 or 2 years. I would not give him a 3 year deal at his age. Of course with the NTC Whitney had the power to squash any deal that JR got.

Wow, talk about a fire sale. 7 players, 1/3 of the team, was moved. Pretty remarkable, especially considering we only got a handful of players back, and a couple of them are clearly prospects. Big changes, especially on D.

Someone on TSN just said that we where dumping body to get the 1st draft pick

JR said in the presser that we are in the best position of any team to move up in the draft.  That doesn't mean we can move up to #1. 

^ I hope that's how it works out....but I don't think JR dumped anybody who would be very responsible for the Canes success or falure for the last 20 games.

For those who still think the playoffs are a possibility:

-It's not mathemmatically impossible, but it is highly improbably *Chuck Kaiton last night

-they would need to win at least 16of the last 20 games to stay in contention for 8th spot.

-they need to earn 10 more points than at least 3 other teams over the next 20 games - most unlikely

Wow, talk about a fire sale. 7 players, 1/3 of the team, was moved. Pretty remarkable, especially considering we only got a handful of players back, and a couple of them are clearly prospects. Big changes, especially on D.

One of the guys on the TSN panel just said and I quote " Maybe if your a fan of the Carolina Hurricanes and you are seeing Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin the possibilities of getting them fading away because they're 8 points ahead of the Leafs and you just see the wide spread dumping of bodies today, um I don't know what kind of roster their going to be icing for the next year but if your suspicious looking from the outside, u'd think these guys are trying to get the first pick overall" then one of em commented " That's where Justin Pogge comes in" lol.

Hahaha.  I liked the Pogge comment by the TSN dude.

Me 2, now that half the team is gone we mine as well see what the kid's got and let him play since were "trying to get the 1st pick now" I know one thing, we can be like a Florida or Cali and have multiple teams in NC now. My sources are telling me instead of moving the Rats to Charlotte next year, were just gonna start a brand new NHL team their with all our draft picks and Karmanos will make double what he makes now.

No kidding, with this D I don't think Cam is going to be in a big hurry to come back this year!

I saw the same TSN segment where they discussed us and if JR was dumping players to go for the pick. I don't think they considered though that compared to Toronto and Edmonton, our core of players is much better than theirs to build off of. We really don't have to do an entire roster overhaul like them. We've got 5/6 players to focus on and build around. The team is showing now that they can have young, inexperienced players in the lineup and yet still be a competitive team. We don't necessarily need the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft to hinge ourselves on like Toronto and Edmonton.

With that said, JR did well today (minus the Alberts trade IMO) to trade away some older guys who can't be carried much longer into the future, and in return get some picks and players for future years. I like keeping Whitney, as long as he stays here for the rest of his career. Beyond that, we'll have our solid core for next season and on and hopefully we can put a good group around them and stay injury-free. JR accomplished his goals for the day.

p.s. I'm also glad we didn't trade Pitkanen, as it was mentioned that we might. He's part of our core.

I have no problem with any of the moves that were made. I have a problem with the move that wasn't made.
You're right, but its done with.  Time will tell how this turns out - who knows?

A+ for J.R. who did a great job of getting a number of picks and some young players as well.

F for Whitney who could have gone elsewhere as a rental and returned in the summer.

Two possible deals which may have been offered for Whitney are:

Torres(Whitney) to Buffalo for Paetsch & a second Round Pick.

Halpern(Whitney) to L.A. for Purcell and a third Round Pick.

I would take either of these over nothing at all.

I can't see J.R. being very happy with Whitney and I doubt that he will return after this season.

For JR A+... I think he did just what he said he was going to do.

He traded/moved made the deals he thought made sense for the team going forward... HE DID NOT MOVE PLAYERS (Whitney) FOR THE SAKE OF MOVING THEM... Listen to his press conference...he said he did not get the offer HE wanted for Raymond so there was no point in his mind to move him... He said in the end Ray would have moved but the deal JR wanted was not offered... he wanted a First round (and Ray is worth that at least) my guess is... it wasn't offered. Sad when I saw Walker's press conference...obviously very emotional for him but GLAD JR found a contending team for him... A.Ward also hates to leave Carolina and his family...I bet it was a tough day today for all of them the ones traded and the ones staying...this team has been through 1 heck of a lot this season... Good luck to all of them...Hears to moving forward GO CANES

It will be interesting if one day we get the real scoop on this Whitney thing. It would seem to have been a win-win-win situation that just never happened. Did JR overplay his hand? Did Whitney say "Don't even bother if they won't add a two year contract?" Did no one really want Whitney as bad as the press seemed to think so many did? I guess it's over now, but like the Babchuk thing one is left to wonder what really happened.

What I'm curious about is how the remaining team plays tomorrow vs. one of the hottest teams around, of course we are one of the hottest teams around, or were? Not sure. That's a lot of changes. Oh well at least there's a bobblehead involved.

Thank you pkling, a voice of sanity regarding Whitney. Listen to the press conference folks. JR is not upset at Whitney. This notion that it's a zero-sum thing -- Whitney goes, we gain; he stays, we lose -- is slightly ridiculous. There are a lot of other things to consider. No one knows what has been said between JR and Whitney...but lets try anyway. My interpretation of the situation, based on what JR said today, is that he didn't really get a decent offer worth considering letting Whitney go. He either wants the guy back next year and values him enough to keep him unless the right offer comes along, or maybe he moved enough other players to feel OK about keeping him for the stretch drive. Or...who knows. Nobody knows what LA or anyone else offered, either, so it's impossible to judge based on that.

I think we will see the Wizard in red and white for at least a year or two more. The guy's a PPG player on a team that has struggled to score in the past, ever think it might be worth keeping him around even if we do have to forgo a pick and a prospect? Don't get me wrong, I was all for moving him if we could and both sides decided it was worth it, but I am not too torn up to see him staying here, either. In JR I trust (especially now that A Ward is gone). icon_bowdown2.gif

Yes pkling, thanks.  The only one who are upset that Whitney is not gone are a few fans.  JR is clearly not upset, he said at the end of the day Whitney didn't want to leave and he respected it.  To say it's a win/win situation to trade him is just not accurate.  Whitney added a NTC to his contract for a reason.  He didn't want to be traded.  He is a family man.  Asking a player to leave his family is no small thing.  Read A Ward's story to see how upset he is that he is now going to miss his child's first steps for the third time.  "Winning" is subjective, Whitney did not see this as a win for him.  JR also mentioned that he believed it was best for the team for him to stay as he is one of the most popular players.  No one can deny that, just read these boards.  Whitney spent many years trying to find a home in the NHL and he finally found one here and wants to stay.  Nothing wrong with it.  I respect JR for not settling on a trade just for the sake of making another trade.  Because you know we really could have used yet another 2nd round pick. Darn our draft is going down the tubes now.  ohwell.gif