The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

Yes pkling, thanks.  The only one who are upset that Whitney is not gone are a few fans.  JR is clearly not upset, he said at the end of the day Whitney didn't want to leave and he respected it.  To say it's a win/win situation to trade him is just not accurate.  Whitney added a NTC to his contract for a reason.  He didn't want to be traded.  He is a family man.  Asking a player to leave his family is no small thing.  Read A Ward's story to see how upset he is that he is now going to miss his child's first steps for the third time.  "Winning" is subjective, Whitney did not see this as a win for him.  JR also mentioned that he believed it was best for the team for him to stay as he is one of the most popular players.  No one can deny that, just read these boards.  Whitney spent many years trying to find a home in the NHL and he finally found one here and wants to stay.  Nothing wrong with it.  I respect JR for not settling on a trade just for the sake of making another trade.  Because you know we really could have used yet another 2nd round pick. Darn our draft is going down the tubes now.  ohwell.gif

Well a lot of the talk was a first round pick. A first round pick is a pretty big deal. Much easier to parlay two of those together to move up to the top. Now we get a no round pick. Yes, I really like Whitney, but no one knows what he will be able to do next year, and he's not even signed. I will NOT be upset if Whitney laces them up for us next year. But on balance the team did not get the best thing here.

Let me lay out the idea of the win-win-win. It does not consider Ray making a home here. If that is a big issue for Ray then I get it and never mind.

1. Canes win: we get a first round pick, or a second and a prospect vs. Ray for 6 weeks of a meaningless season.

2. Ray wins: he gets a contract for at least a year, presumably two when he has the greatest leverage.

3. Team getting Ray wins: they get a guy who is still producing offense at a very high level with tons of playoff experience and a Stanley Cup.

That's three wins. Because of the NTC all three parties had to see it that way and clearly at least one did not. However, as a fan, and one who loves Whitney, I do not think that the Canes won, and I am first a Cane's fan.

AFRER ALL THAT WAS SAID AND DONE,,JR DID DTILL SAY THAT A FEW OF OUR GUYS THAT GOT DEALT may have a chance to sigh back here next season<! I think we did good,not great but i am truely looking forwards to  seeing the boys play well together.

No better tine to step it up when our opponents are not sure what to expect!!!!

May be another storm brewing!!!!

[quote name='remkin wrote:

Faceoff-ch1']Yes pkling, thanks.  The only one who are upset that Whitney is not gone are a few fans.  JR is clearly not upset, he said at the end of the day Whitney didn't want to leave and he respected it.  To say it's a win/win situation to trade him is just not accurate.  Whitney added a NTC to his contract for a reason.  He didn't want to be traded.  He is a family man.  Asking a player to leave his family is no small thing.  Read A Ward's story to see how upset he is that he is now going to miss his child's first steps for the third time.  "Winning" is subjective, Whitney did not see this as a win for him.  JR also mentioned that he believed it was best for the team for him to stay as he is one of the most popular players.  No one can deny that, just read these boards.  Whitney spent many years trying to find a home in the NHL and he finally found one here and wants to stay.  Nothing wrong with it.  I respect JR for not settling on a trade just for the sake of making another trade.  Because you know we really could have used yet another 2nd round pick. Darn our draft is going down the tubes now. 
ohwell.gif

Well a lot of the talk was a first round pick. A first round pick is a pretty big deal. Much easier to parlay two of those together to move up to the top. Now we get a no round pick. Yes, I really like Whitney, but no one knows what he will be able to do next year, and he's not even signed. I will NOT be upset if Whitney laces them up for us next year. But on balance the team did not get the best thing here.

Let me lay out the idea of the win-win-win. It does not consider Ray making a home here. If that is a big issue for Ray then I get it and never mind.

1. Canes win: we get a first round pick, or a second and a prospect vs. Ray for 6 weeks of a meaningless season.

2. Ray wins: he gets a contract for at least a year, presumably two when he has the greatest leverage.

3. Team getting Ray wins: they get a guy who is still producing offense at a very high level with tons of playoff experience and a Stanley Cup.

That's three wins. Because of the NTC all three parties had to see it that way and clearly at least one did not. However, as a fan, and one who loves Whitney, I do not think that the Canes won, and I am first a Cane's fan.

I just don't think it's a win or a loss.  It just business as usual.  I think too many people are assuming that a first rounder was attainable.  It seems to me that almost everyone discussing it over the past few days believed it was too high of a price and I would have to agree since JR made it clear that was what he wanted and he said he couldn't get what he thought was a fair price for Ray.  How many first round picks were coughed up today? 

You can't take the fact that Ray wants to be here out of the equation.  That's a big reason players want the NTC.  He said he wants to stay publically.  JR said he told him he did not want to leave. Ray has said he wants to retire a Cane.   Will that happen?  Who knows but I got to believe JR will be making an offer.  I can't evaluate that far ahead to make an opinion, I'll just wait and see.  One thing is for sure, as JR said we are in the best position of all teams to move up in the draft based on all of the assets he acquired.  I just don't think the lack of a Whitney trade made us much worse off.  JR did good, he got rid of every other play he said was on the block.  That's pretty incredible.

I wasn't on the keep Whitney train.  I would have loved to see us get that great return JR wanted but I respect the fact the JR didn't accept less than what he thought Ray was worth.  Ray is worth a lot to this organization, his value here is more than it would be elsewhere when intangibles are considered. 

Do you really believe Rutherford is going to come out and say that he is disappointed  with Whitney, he is a professional. Both Francis and Wesley were rentals in the past and were resigned for the next season. If  he was traded he could still return home after the playoffs unlike A.Ward who will probably not be resigned.

Do you really believe Rutherford is going to come out and say that he is disappointed  with Whitney, he is a professional. Both Francis and Wesley were rentals in the past and were resigned for the next season. If  he was traded he could still return home after the playoffs unlike A.Ward who will probably not be resigned.

We have a winner.  Its unlikely we'll know what really transpired and if all parties involved are true professionals and care about having that professional relationship moving forward, they keep quiet, smile at the cameras, sing kumbaya together and do their jobs.

Playing GM with this season moreso than a normal year must be an incredible balancing act and if that is so then JR did an incredible job by moving all those he said were on the block. Keeping a UFA like whitney is that too. A balancing act with a gamble that you can get a deal done with a productive player winding down his career. BY not accepting less than what he felt Ray was worth he also maintains his level of integrity with other GM's,and that benefits the org and him personally moving forward. I for one appreciate JR's Shrewdness in making deals and hope it continues. Having Ray Whitney on your roster can never be considered a minus, at any point in time. I also believe he is an asset moving forward with so many young and new to the organization players. Put your 60 points up ray and move into your next contract.