The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Rampant-RumorEric-Staal-to-Oilers--Who-Could-Be-Headed-Back/1/24599

I know this is unlikely but who do you guys think we could get in return?

Oh goody an Eklund rumor.

First, Eklund reads message boards and takes a posters fantasy trade and cites it as a source. In this particular one, he sites Garth. Garth blogs for the Sabres and has no clue what he is talking about.

Second, you don't go trading your Star Player and face of the franchise because you have 1 crappy season. That is suicide to the organization. Especially one that is 25 years old, has won the cup, and was also a good candiate for the Conn Smythe, and was an All Star MVP. Not to mention Staal is the type of player you build your team around.

Third, Staal's name will be popping up in every Canes rumor. Think Vinny LeCavalier for the past 2 years.

Trading Eric Staal now will do more harm to this organization. Something they can't afford to do, especially now.

From Spectors:

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER: Chip Alexander reports Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford has some hard decisions to make with his struggling club and sooner rather than later. The question of course is what?

SPECTOR'S NOTE: There's little Rutherford can do right now, but I suspect once we get into the second half of the season he'll start shopping some guys when their trade value might be higher. I'd say the only untouchables are Eric Staal and Cam Ward at this point, but expect veterans rather than young players to be shopped.

OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch reports the following: the Pittsburgh Penguins have put contract talks with Sergei Gonchar on hold for a while as the two sides are at odds over his value. His cap hit this season is $5 million but he could easily earn over $6 million per on the open market...Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is trying to unload contracts, perhaps some impending UFAs like Aaron Ward, Joe Corvo and Niclas Wallin, while Ray Whitney will likely get the opportunity to be dealt to a contender.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Rutherford could dump salary now but the salary cap makes it difficult to find any decent deals. It's possible he might be able to start unloading some salary by the December 19th holiday trade freeze but most likely such moves will occur in the second half, especially closer to the March 3rd trade deadline

ESPN.COM: Don't be surprised if the struggling Hurricanes possibly place a player or two on waivers as early as this week...One area where the Edmonton Oilers are healthy is the blueline and they might consider dealing from there later in the season, with Tom Gilbert being one name mentioned in trade rumors

SPECTOR'S NOTE: If the Hurricanes and Oilers make any trades they won't likely come until the second half of the season.

Nothing real eye opening and pretty much what most of us are saying here but the December 19th trade freeze is an interesting target date.

Here's the latest Eklund rumor .... Staal to LA in a mega-trade.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Could-Gomez-go-to-Florida-Kovalchuk-Update--Eric-Staal-could-be-LA-King/1/24633

[quote name='caniac247 wrote:

KrazyCane']

First, Eklund reads message boards and takes a posters fantasy trade and cites it as a source. In this particular one, he sites Garth. Garth blogs for the Sabres and has no clue what he is talking about.

Second, you don't go trading your Star Player and face of the franchise because you have 1 crappy season. That is suicide to the organization. Especially one that is 25 years old, has won the cup, and was also a good candiate for the Conn Smythe, and was an All Star MVP. Not to mention Staal is the type of player you build your team around.

Third, Staal's name will be popping up in every Canes rumor. Think Vinny LeCavalier for the past 2 years.

Trading Eric Staal now will do more harm to this organization. Something they can't afford to do, especially now.All very true, caniac247.  But, to me, Cam Ward is the only (nearly) untradeable 'Cane.  I've believed that for several seasons

and still feel that way.  This has nothing to do with having only 5 wins.  I would consider any trade that would improve the team. 

I'd trade my Mom for a #2.  It would have to be a high #2, of course, but if Toronto would pony up a #2 ... Mom's going to Canada.

Here's another Eklund rumor ... Staal to Los Angeles in a blockbuster deal.  LA actually has the resources to make this happen.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Could-Gomez-go-to-Florida-Kovalchuk-Update--Eric-Staal-could-be-LA-King/1/24633

If Staal was happy enough here to recently sign a HUGE extension with the team then why would he be so unhappy now to want to be traded? I mean with the money we'll have in the offseason, coupled with the pick we'll get, and the young guys we have at Albany we should be a very young and fun team to watch in the coming years.

[quote name='davidrabbit wrote:

caniac247 wrote:

KrazyCane']

Trading Eric Staal now will do more harm to this organization. Something they can't afford to do, especially now.
All very true, caniac247.  But, to me, Cam Ward is the only (nearly) untradeable 'Cane.  I've believed that for several seasons

and still feel that way.  This has nothing to do with having only 5 wins.  I would consider any trade that would improve the team. 

I'd trade my Mom for a #2.  It would have to be a high #2, of course, but if Toronto would pony up a #2 ... Mom's going to Canada.

Here's another Eklund rumor ... Staal to Los Angeles in a blockbuster deal.  LA actually has the resources to make this happen.

looked to me last night that staal (and the rest of the team for that matter) was playing his heart out...maybe he DOES want to stay here and heard the wake-up call.  he looked like the eric staal we had on our team in '06...great effort on his part, i have to give him that.   problem is, we can't accept spurts of effort from anyone...especially our franchise player.  (and i'm not just talking about this season when he has been playing "hurt"...and if indeed he was hurt early on whoever made that boneheaded decision to keep him on the ice ought to be strung up, whether it was mo or jr or ...?)  if the kings are really looking to acquire a big center, and the pens aren't talking...eric might be their next best bet.  but then again.......it's eklund. ohwell.gif

Per JRs interview on the main page :“I’m not saying I wouldn’t moveone of our core guys, but it would have to be a real special deal forus. It would have to be for a special reason.”

Perhaps the Staal rumors have some truth but like he says above, he would only move someone like Staal for a huge deal.

I heard from a source, Staal to the kings, jack johnson to the phillies, and the philly fanatic to the canes to duke it out with Stormy for mascot supremacy and to bump us to no. 1 on that espn poll of best fan experiences.

I heard from a source, Staal to the kings, jack johnson to the phillies, and the philly fanatic to the canes to duke it out with Stormy for mascot supremacy and to bump us to no. 1 on that espn poll of best fan experiences.
Check your PM's please smile.gif

[quote name='canesfan54 wrote:

davidrabbit wrote:

caniac247']

All very true, caniac247.  But, to me, Cam Ward is the only (nearly) untradeable 'Cane.  I've believed that for several seasons

looked to me last night that staal (and the rest of the team for that matter) was playing his heart out...maybe he DOES want to stay here and heard the wake-up call.  he looked like the eric staal we had on our team in '06...great effort on his part, i have to give him that.   problem is, we can't accept spurts of effort from anyone...especially our franchise player.  (and i'm not just talking about this season when he has been playing "hurt"...and if indeed he was hurt early on whoever made that boneheaded decision to keep him on the ice ought to be strung up, whether it was mo or jr or ...?)  if the kings are really looking to acquire a big center, and the pens aren't talking...eric might be their next best bet.  but then again.......it's eklund. ohwell.gif

Well, I honestly haven't seen anything that would cause me to question anyone's effort.  They just haven't played well for 60 minutes

and it has cost them some games.  Is that enough of a problem to cause JR to go out and make a trade?  Yes and no.  Yes - because

it's his job - every day - to do everything he can to improve the team.  No - because noone is going to make a trade right now. 

I mentioned to TSA earlier that most teams are content to wait until they know what the parameters are moving  forward especially

for taking on a non-expiring contract.  For most teams, it's gotten to the point where activity with each teams's personnel is limited

now to two days.  March 3rd, deadline day for trades and July 1st for free agents.  For anything to happen now, a GM would have

to be desperate - and be willing to "lose" a trade.  No one is at that point yet.  Certainly, JR is not  So there's just a lot of talk.

What's different with the LA thing is they DO have the resources to pull off a big trade.  They have cap space available, they have

a deep prospect pool that can be thinned, they have a good team that is close to maturing, and they have an organization in a major

market that needs to take the next step in the playoffs and keep their fanbase happy.  None of that means, however, they'll get Staal.

From the Ottawa Sun

The Columbus Blue Jackets have been looking for a blueliner since thestart of training camp and there’s suddenly an urgency after the clublost Rostislav Klesla for six weeks with a groin injury. While theJackets might look at Lee, a stronger possibility could be Carolina DAaron Ward. He is being shopped and will be a UFA next summer.

With Corvo hurt I don't know if this would happen.

Here's a little more on that rumor OBXer from Spectors with a little tidbit about the Staal rumor too:

OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch reports the Jackets, who recently lost defenseman Rostislav Klesla to injury, might look at Senators defenseman Brian Lee, who's believed on the trade market, but the Jackets might have more interest in Carolina Hurricanes veteran blueliner Aaron Ward, who Garrioch claims is being shopped.

CAROLINA HURRICANES/RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER: reports Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford said it's difficult to move out contracts at this time. Rutherford admits he's been shopping around for a trade but they've been hard to make. Teams might be interested in acquiring some of the Hurricanes impending UFA players but not until much later in the season when the bulk of their salaries have been paid.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Perhaps Rutherford can find a fit with the Blue Jackets but they're not likely to take on too much salary in return. Ward might be a possibility but he's more of a defensive blueliner and comes with a cap hit of $2.5 million, which might be more than the Jackets are willing to pick up depending on what the Hurricanes want in return. As Dreger noted the Jackets have depth in wingers they could perhaps shop for a defenseman. And no, I don't believe the Hurricanes will trade Eric Staal. In fact, I think he's the last player Rutherford would consider trading.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=749:nhl-trade-a-free-agent-rumors-december-2-2009&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=4

TSA wrote:

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Perhaps Rutherford can find a fit with theBlue Jackets but they're not likely to take on too much salary inreturn. Ward might be a possibility but he's more of a defensiveblueliner and comes with a cap hit of $2.5 million, which might be morethan the Jackets are willing to pick up depending on what theHurricanes want in return. As Dreger noted the Jackets have depth inwingers they could perhaps shop for a defenseman. And no, I don'tbelieve the Hurricanes will trade Eric Staal. In fact, I think he's thelast player Rutherford would consider trading. Thx...I have to agree. I don't know if we can find a team to take on 2.5 mil cap hit. I'm sure we would still like to get a winger but with our D so depleted now I just don't see this happening unless there is another trade in the works.  As for Staal unless it is Eric asking to be traded I find it unlikely but I guess you never know.

People are actually talking about trading Staal? People are talking about something Eklund says?

The team might not be playing with a full deck this season but there are apparently a lot of people guilty of the same thing on this board.

People are actually talking about trading Staal? People are talking about something Eklund says?

The team might not be playing with a full deck this season but there are apparently a lot of people guilty of the same thing on this board.

I think most of us on this board know the Staal rumor started with Eklund and I think most of us here think it is unlikely. I said IMO it was unlikely unless Staal wanted to be traded. But I grew up a Ranger fan a long time ago and couldn't imagine a team that didn't have Brad Park on the Blue Line but he ended up a Bruin.  Who could imagine the Oil without Gretzky yet there he was  wearing the ugly Kings sweater a few years later.  Maybe I'm not playing with a full deck but a Staal trade is unlikely but not beyond possibility.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

hctimo787']People are actually talking about trading Staal? People are talking about something Eklund says?

I think most of us on this board know the Staal rumor started with Eklund and I think most of us here think it is unlikely. I said IMO it was unlikely unless Staal wanted to be traded. But I grew up a Ranger fan a long time ago and couldn't imagine a team that didn't have Brad Park on the Blue Line but he ended up a Bruin.  Who could imagine the Oil without Gretzky yet there he was  wearing the ugly Kings sweater a few years later.  Maybe I'm not playing with a full deck but a Staal trade is unlikely but not beyond possibility.

Well anything's possible, but a trade of Staal would have to bring back another all-star heading into his peak and there aren't many of those. While there are the occasional trades like that (Gretsky) they are rare. The other team doesn't want to give up their stud and it's a high risk trade. There aren't many guys who would be worth trading Staal for and if JR made that trade and the other guy didn't live up, JR would be forever judged by that one trade for the rest of history. I would say Staal and C.Ward are as untouchable as it gets.

On the other hand I do wonder about your theory that a move is brewing. I would not be surprised to see something during this 4 day break.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

OBXer wrote:

hctimo787']

Well anything's possible, but a trade of Staal would have to bring back another all-star heading into his peak and there aren't many of those. While there are the occasional trades like that (Gretsky) they are rare. The other team doesn't want to give up their stud and it's a high risk trade. There aren't many guys who would be worth trading Staal for and if JR made that trade and the other guy didn't live up, JR would be forever judged by that one trade for the rest of history. I would say Staal and C.Ward are as untouchable as it gets.

On the other hand I do wonder about your theory that a move is brewing. I would not be surprised to see something during this 4 day break.

I agree completely "rem".  A Staal trade would have to be for a special deal and special reason. We have staked our future on Staal and now have added Sutter to the mix. Those two could anchor this team for years. 

My thoughts on a trade are more a feeling than a theory. But I think a major trade (probable not involving Staal or Sutter) is near. I don't think we can sit back and wait.

Remkin you bring up a good point about a star for star trade.  I have to admit, over the last couple of years I've thought about one of those exact situations.  Laugh at me if you will, but I've entertained the thought on many occassions of a Staal for Kovlachuk trade.  Just sayin, is all.  So for kicks and giggles how about a Kovlachuk\Sutter\Ruutu line?      

From Hockeyleaks.com...

- Carolina is shopping Aaron Ward and Matt Cullen. The team would love to call up some youth but cap restraints won't allow much to happen. Expect Carolina to make a move before the holiday roster freeze.

And from Spectors today:

TSN.CA/CHICAGO DAILY HERALD: reported there is much speculation the Chicago Blackhawks could announce a salary-dumping trade prior to the press conference later today announcing the re-signings of Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and Duncan Keith to comply with the NHL's "tagging" rules. TSN and the Daily Herald reported defensemen like Brent Sopel or Cam Barker have been suggested as potential trade bait, although TSN's Bob McKenzie suggested moving a player under contract through next season might not be imperative, at least not yet.

THE SPORTING NEWS: Craig Custance reports Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman will certainly have to face moving some salary but the major moves won't have to be made until next summer and he could move a smaller salary this season.

CHICAGO TRIBUNE: Steve Rosenbloom reports forward Patrick Sharp is a name that pops up in the trade rumor mill because of his salary and wonders if his scoring more goals only adds to the rumors swirling about him. Rosenbloom notes Shark and Kris Versteeg have been pressed into service as centers since Dave Bolland's injury, citing the lack of depth at that position and suggesting they'll need another puck-moving center if they entertain hopes of a Stanley Cup run.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: It'll be interesting to see what moves, if any, the Blackhawks make leading up to today's announcements of the re-signings of Kane, Toews and Keith. As for Patrick Sharp, I still believe the 'Hawks prefer to retain him this season but they might move him this summer. Sopel remains the most likely candidate to be moved in my opinion.

I know this is mainly about the Blackhawks but Matt Cullen would certainly fill this need.  The Blackhawks can't afford to mess this up after their off season signing issues last summer so it would be very wise for us Canes fans to keep a close eye on the Hawks right now.  This would certainly fall right in with lawdog posted from hockeyleaks.com.

And from Spectors today:

TSN.CA/CHICAGO DAILY HERALD: reported there is much speculation the Chicago Blackhawks could announce a salary-dumping trade prior to the press conference later today announcing the re-signings of Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and Duncan Keith to comply with the NHL's "tagging" rules. TSN and the Daily Herald reported defensemen like Brent Sopel or Cam Barker have been suggested as potential trade bait, although TSN's Bob McKenzie suggested moving a player under contract through next season might not be imperative, at least not yet.

THE SPORTING NEWS: Craig Custance reports Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman will certainly have to face moving some salary but the major moves won't have to be made until next summer and he could move a smaller salary this season.

CHICAGO TRIBUNE: Steve Rosenbloom reports forward Patrick Sharp is a name that pops up in the trade rumor mill because of his salary and wonders if his scoring more goals only adds to the rumors swirling about him. Rosenbloom notes Shark and Kris Versteeg have been pressed into service as centers since Dave Bolland's injury, citing the lack of depth at that position and suggesting they'll need another puck-moving center if they entertain hopes of a Stanley Cup run.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: It'll be interesting to see what moves, if any, the Blackhawks make leading up to today's announcements of the re-signings of Kane, Toews and Keith. As for Patrick Sharp, I still believe the 'Hawks prefer to retain him this season but they might move him this summer. Sopel remains the most likely candidate to be moved in my opinion.

I know this is mainly about the Blackhawks but Matt Cullen would certainly fill this need.  The Blackhawks can't afford to mess this up after their off season signing issues last summer so it would be very wise for us Canes fans to keep a close eye on the Hawks right now.  This would certainly fall right in with lawdog posted from hockeyleaks.com.

Plus, we all know that JR has a history with dealing with the blackhawks...

From TFP:

It has been widely reported that the Hurricanes are looking for a top-six scoring winger and a top-four defenseman

I think it will take more then Cullen and A-Ward to achieve that.  Interesting times

Per JRs interview on the main page :“I’m not saying I wouldn’t move one of our core guys, but it would have to be a real special deal for us. It would have to be for a special reason.”

Perhaps the Staal rumors have some truth but like he says above, he would only move someone like Staal for a huge deal.

You have to listen/read into all his comments. He states he has 'his core of young good players'. That core likely consists of: Staal, Ward, Ruutu, Pitkanen and Gleason. Along with Sutter and Boychuk. He's also stated multiple times that Staal and Ward are his only untouchables. He will entertain offers for any player, including Staal and Ward, but a team will have to massively overpay to get them and you just aren't going to find a team willing to do that. 

When a team struggles as much as the Canes, the 'star' player is always the one in rumors. Vinny was rumored to be going to every team and Montreal about 100 times. Where is Vinny now, still in Tampa. I'll say it again, 'star' players, players who are the face of the franchise are not traded for 1 horrible, crappy season. When a team goes through a rebuild, you don't trade the 1 player where 29 other teams would build their team around. Its suicide for the organization to trade Staal.

Its funny how its Eklund stating all the Staal rumors. Its Eklund people.