The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

From TFP:

It has been widely reported that the Hurricanes are looking for a top-six scoring winger and a top-four defenseman

My fantasy trade:

To Chicago:

Matt Cullen

Aaron Ward

To Carolina:

Patrick Sharp

Cam Barker

Reality sets in and I awake from my dream.

It has been reported out of Chicago that they have interest in Cullen. Chicago reports were stating a deal around Cullen/Corvo with Barker/Sopel or Barker/Skille/prospect coming back to Carolina. Corvo now injured so those have been put to rest. Maybe we could still work something around Cullen and Barker.

LA at the deadline, will be looking for an experienced veteran to help that young team in the playoffs, if they are still in it. Its a well known fact, Frolov won't be re-signing there and will be the object of rumors, but if they trade him, they will need another LW coming back that can have an immediate impact. Ray Whitney fits that bill to a T. JR has had interest in Frolov in the past. Acquiring Frolov will give JR first rights in re-signing him. 

according to the JR interview on 99.9 The Fan, the only "untouchables" are Staal and Ward

I just listened to the JR interview and he has indeed put any thought of trading Staal to rest. But he sure left the door wide open for further trades. 

I listened, too. Staal and C.Ward are not going anywhere. He said the Corvo injury changed some things because "he is one

of our best defensemen" and with him out we need the defense we have--and they need to step up.

He also said we have a group of other core players we want to keep.     He also said most teams would not be willing to do bigger

trades until January.

(This takes us back to our thread about "who are our core players" )      dry.gif

From TFP:

It has been widely reported that the Hurricanes are looking for a top-six scoring winger and a top-four defenseman

I wonder if this Tlusty kid is it. JR did say he hopes the kid will be a top 6 forward next year.

[quote name='cane-addict-1 wrote:

cane-addict-1']From TFP:

I wonder if this Tlusty kid is it. JR did say he hopes the kid will be a top 6 forward next year.

He might be projecting him a top six forward soon but I'm not sure he's ready yet.

From TSN's blogger Darren Dreger:

tsn-twitter150_bigger.jpg
DarrenDreger

1. Carolina wants to move some veterans. Scott Walker and Aaron Ward are available.

It's very likely that Walker would waive his no-trade-clause to be dealt to a contender. If you'll remember, he came to Carolina because he wanted to win the Stanley Cup. With only one or two years left in the tank, I would be shocked if Walker didn't take this opportunity to have one last shot at the Cup.

Normally I just roll my eyes when people start talking about trading players with NTC. But I'd bet they would waive in the last year of their contract. That said, I have to wonder how much value Walker has on the market considering he is hurt half the time and has a sizeable salary. If he can stay healthy for an extended stretch, he could be someone who goes at the deadline.

Breaking News from Eklund!

"The Carolina Hurricanes Have Traded Marian Gaborik to Boston"

The Carolina Hurricanes have traded forward Marian Gaborik, posing a healthy 36 points, leading the Rangers in every scoring category, for two 2010 first round picks to the Boston Bruins- including the one that was traded to the Bruins for Phil Kessel. Canes General Manager Jim Rutherford was ecstatic. "Obviously, this means that we will make a big bang at the draft. Right now, there is a huge possibility that we will be getting the top two draft choices."

Gaborik immediately reported to the Bruins today, participating in on-ice practice. "Really, its just sad" said the European superstar. "I was just finding my groove, and then they go out and trade me for some picks."

Glen Sather, GM for the Rangers, was also very unhappy. "Yes, Marian was good, but he didn't really fit in with the 'lets go bomb it' style we were planning on emplying this year."

Sather responded by trading Patrick Kane, the Chicago Blackhawls star and future of the franchise, for Ottowa's Jason Spezza.

Meanwhile, Rutherford has asked in the editorial section of today's N&O "Who will look better in a Canes uniform; Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin?"

Breaking News from Eklund!

"The Carolina Hurricanes Have Traded Marian Gaborik to Boston"

The Carolina Hurricanes have traded forward Marian Gaborik, posing a healthy 36 points, leading the Rangers in every scoring category, for two 2010 first round picks to the Boston Bruins- including the one that was traded to the Bruins for Phil Kessel. Canes General Manager Jim Rutherford was ecstatic. "Obviously, this means that we will make a big bang at the draft. Right now, there is a huge possibility that we will be getting the top two draft choices."

Gaborik immediately reported to the Bruins today, participating in on-ice practice. "Really, its just sad" said the European superstar. "I was just finding my groove, and then they go out and trade me for some picks."

Glen Sather, GM for the Rangers, was also very unhappy. "Yes, Marian was good, but he didn't really fit in with the 'lets go bomb it' style we were planning on emplying this year."

Sather responded by trading Patrick Kane, the Chicago Blackhawls star and future of the franchise, for Ottowa's Jason Spezza.

Meanwhile, Rutherford has asked in the editorial section of today's N&O "Who will look better in a Canes uniform; Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin?"

Ah, it's wacky Saturday night time.  eb, put down what you are drinking.  wink.gif

It's very likely that Walker would waive his no-trade-clause to be dealt to a contender. If you'll remember, he came to Carolina because he wanted to win the Stanley Cup. With only one or two years left in the tank, I would be shocked if Walker didn't take this opportunity to have one last shot at the Cup.
It is almost midnight 12/5--am watching Center Ice Cgy/SJS game. Between 2nd/3rd period the two commentators said something to the effect

that the Carolina firesale was about to begin and we were looking to trade Scott Walker and Aaron Ward. That was all they said---not to whom

or anything else.  Kind of interesting !?!

TFP confirming what we already know:

Having already completedone trade this week, the Carolina Hurricanes are looking to pull thetrigger on additional moves, sources tell TFP.

Hurricanes GM JimRutherford is believed to be actively shopping the likes of veteransScott Walker, Ray Whitney, Niclas Wallin and Aaron Ward, all of whomare in the final year of their respective contracts.

Of the four players,however, only Ward does not have a no-trade clause. As a result Walker,Whitney and Wallin would need to approve any deal the Hurricanes try tomake.

It's uncertain, at this point, if the Hurricanes would entertain the thought of trading center Rod Brind'Amour.

Brind'Amour, who does nothave a no-trade clause, has one-year left on his contract beyond thisseason at a cap hit of $3.6 million.

TFP confirming what we already know:

Having already completedone trade this week, the Carolina Hurricanes are looking to pull thetrigger on additional moves, sources tell TFP.

Hurricanes GM JimRutherford is believed to be actively shopping the likes of veteransScott Walker, Ray Whitney, Niclas Wallin and Aaron Ward, all of whomare in the final year of their respective contracts.

Of the four players,however, only Ward does not have a no-trade clause. As a result Walker,Whitney and Wallin would need to approve any deal the Hurricanes try tomake.

It's uncertain, at this point, if the Hurricanes would entertain the thought of trading center Rod Brind'Amour.

Brind'Amour, who does nothave a no-trade clause, has one-year left on his contract beyond thisseason at a cap hit of $3.6 million.

The one constant in all the trade rumors is Aaron Ward.  As for the NTC, I think Walker, Wallin and Whitney (do we only give NTC's to players whose last names start with W) would waive the no trade if they were traded to a team with a chance. 

From Spector's Hockey rumors.

Nothing we didn't already know or suspect but the rumors keep circulating

Several teams have inquired about veteran forward Ray Whitneybut Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford would like to give him the option ofwhere to go...

The Carolina Hurricanes are getting ready to drop salary, withveteran blueliner Aaron Ward and his $2.5 million salary at the top ofthe list.

Ward won't be easy to move because of his salary as theHurricanes want to get younger and faster. Whitney will likely be onhis way out of Carolina by the March trade deadline...

Eklund is now thinking the Slugs are interested in Whitney. Sure is a lot of speculation going on around the net.

The one constant in all the trade rumors is Aaron Ward.  As for the NTC, I think Walker, Wallin and Whitney (do we only give NTC's to players whose last names start with W) would waive the no trade if they were traded to a team with a chance. 

I am not sure Wallin would. I think he would more likely play out his contract here and then head back to Sweden , if not re-signed. (Just

my hunch---no facts to back that up.) I could see Walker and Whitney waiving in order to go to a contender, however.

[quote name='UNCCaniac8 wrote:

OBXer']

I am not sure Wallin would. I think he would more likely play out his contract here and then head back to Sweden , if not re-signed. (Just

my hunch---no facts to back that up.) I could see Walker and Whitney waiving in order to go to a contender, however.

You might be right about Wallin since (I think) he wouldn't waive it once before. But he knows odds are he won't be back next year so he just might waive it to get another shot at a cup.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

UNCCaniac8 wrote:

OBXer']The one constant in all the trade rumors is Aaron Ward.  As for the NTC, I think Walker, Wallin and Whitney (do we only give NTC's to players whose last names start with W) would waive the no trade if they were traded to a team with a chance. 

You might be right about Wallin since (I think) he wouldn't waive it once before. But he knows odds are he won't be back next year so he just might waive it to get another shot at a cup.

He did refuse to waive his NTC once before--but, besides that, he has played here nine seasons, and I don't think he's played for any

other NHL team

------he was going back to Sweden after we won the cup, but I think JR persuaded him to stay in the USA and re-sign

again.  However, I know Walker and Whit have both played for a number of other teams. I guess that's the reason for my "hunch".

[quote name='UNCCaniac8 wrote:

OBXer wrote:

UNCCaniac8']

He did refuse to waive his NTC once before--but, besides that, he has played here nine seasons, and I don't think he's played for any

other NHL team

------he was going back to Sweden after we won the cup, but I think JR persuaded him to stay in the USA and re-sign

again.  However, I know Walker and Whit have both played for a number of other teams. I guess that's the reason for my "hunch".

Walker's never hoisted Lord Stanley's Cup and I imagine he'd go to a contender gladly.  Age is undefeated and he's nearing the end of the line.  If Walker is close to 100%, he'd be a good addition to a team at the trade dead line.  I don't see a team picking him up now because of his injury history.

Whitney's competitive nature would lead me to believe that he'd go to the right contender.  A team would do well to pick up Whitney.  I think he's the type of guy that could get plugged into any teams top 6 and do well.  If he went before the deadline, it wouldn't surprise me. 

Wallin is another story.  My gut tells me that he's content living and playing here and that's the most important thing to him.

The one constant in all the trade rumors is Aaron Ward. 

Aaron Ward may have picked a good time to have a solid game ... Brian Metzer reports from the Canes/Pens game:

"I didn't realize that Marty Lapointe was scouting these days...he is taking in this game for the Chicago Blackhawks."

When scouts start showing up, that's when I start believing the rumors. 

I don't doubt the Hawks would like to add a center like Cullen, but they need to get a 3rd pairing / depth d-man kind

of guy coming back the other way if either Sopel or Barker were traded.  Preferably one that can play a physical game.

One trade that may make sense for both teams is Cullen and Ward for Sopel and Byfuglien.  Chicago would shed two

guys they don't need (with term remaining on their contracts) for probably the best 2nd line center available and a vet

d-man with playoff experience.  Carolina gets a big, physical power winger (which they need) in Byfuglien and trading

Cullen opens up things nicely for Sutter.  Cap hit-wise it's even.