The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

I think the reason the Canes are road testing so many Albany D men is this A. Ward thing. Trading him is such an obvious move that it's really a fait accompli. He needs to go for several reasons, but old and slow on a team that wants to be young and fast are pretty good ones. His salary is another.

Not sure what he brings back, but in terms of the future he has no more role on the ice that Brind'Amour.

From Spectors:

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER: Chip Alexander reports Carolina Hurricanes captain Rod Brind'amour was a healthy scratch against the Pittsburgh Penguins and may be again going forward. Alexander wonders what happens next for Brind'amour and the Hurricanes, if he'll give up the captaincy, consider retirement, be placed on waivers, or "continue to work, rejoin the lineup, be more productive and go from there."

SPECTOR'S NOTE: I'm guessing the last one.

CBC.CA: Elliotte Friedman reported the following: He agrees with ESPN's Pierre LeBrun's opinion Vincent Lecavalier is unhappy in Tampa Bay and no longer trusts Lightning ownership/management after they tried to shop him last season. Friedman suggests it might be best if Lecavalier and Lightning management discuss how to give everyone a fresh start, suggesting the two sides might no longer need each other as they once did. Friedman points out Lecavalier's no-movement clause gives him control over where he could go but given his expensive contract the Lightning might have to be realistic and take on a bad short-term contract in return...Ray Whitney could be the Carolina Hurricanes' biggest trading chip.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: I respect Friedman and LeBrun but their recent comments on Lecavalier seem like an attempt to spice up a slow-moving rumor mill.  Maybe Lecavalier is unhappy, maybe not, but either way trading him is not an easy proposition.

His expensive contract and movement clause makes him almost impossible to move during the regular season. The best time to move expensive contracts in today's salary cap world would be late-June/early-July. Look no further than last summer's Scott Gomez to Montreal trade as a prime example.

Whitney is indeed the Hurricanes most marketable trade chip and shouldn't have any trouble finding takers later in the season although because of his "no-trade" clause Whitney will decide his ultimate destination.

Another rumor about Ray.  This one from Hockey Leaks.

- Ray Whitney is being shopped by the Carolina Hurricanes and Detroit has significant interests.

From Spectors:

ISLANDERS POINT BLANK:Chris Botta writes a league source told him Islander GM Garth Snow isshopping around for a mobile experienced  defenseman but other teamsare also shopping for the same thing. Botta notes those bluelinerswhich might be available are Carolina's Aaron Ward and Joe Corvo,Toronto's Garnet Exelby and Chicago's Brent Sopel. Botta feels Ward andCorvo could be good, affordable additions.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Hat tip to "Billy". I concur with Bottathat the Isles will probably have to get through the holiday seasonwith the blueline they have as there's little action in the trademarket so far.

We are back in the trade rumors again. Spector's Hockey is saying Ottawa has interest in A-Ward. It also says they may have interest in Ray Whitney. 

Spector is also  listing interest by the Blues in Staal but indicate that to be doubtful.

I could see A-Ward and maybe Whitney but haven't we gone through all the Staal rumors before.

We are back in the trade rumors again. Spector's Hockey is saying Ottawa has interest in A-Ward

given his level of play this season, the Canes should let him go for a draft pick just to get his salary off the books

Aaron Ward should be traded for anything Jim Rutherford can get --- a 6th round draft choice in 2020 is fine. Aaron Ward has been the worst performer per dollar of salary I can remember. Having his $2,500,000 salary off the books would be a huge step forward.

Blues eyeing Hurricanes' Staal

If the last-place Carolina Hurricanes decide to dump salary, the St. Louis Blues may step up to take a big chunk.

St. Louis is believed to be preparing a pitch to land Carolina center Eric StaalSun Media reports. The former first-round pick, who will make an average of $8.25 million through 2016, has just four goals and 14 points in 21 games.

The Blues would have plenty to offer in return, such as former first-round picks Alex PietrangeloIan Cole and David Perron.

Carolina has been the subject of a few rumors as of late, with soon-to-be unrestricted free agents Aaron WardJoe CorvoNiclas Wallin and Ray Whitney mentioned has possible trade bait. The Edmonton Journal recently added Scott Walker to that mix, though the winger may not be moved until the trade deadline when his salary drops to a managable $600,000.

hmm, staal for several players that i have never heard of, and some prospects who may or may not pan out....

is any one else getting tired of these rumors when JR has stated that they are all BS?

hmm, staal for several players that i have never heard of, and some prospects who may or may not pan out....

is any one else getting tired of these rumors when JR has stated that they are all BS?

Yes! I am tired of it. JR already stated that the untouchables for the Hurricanes are C. Ward and Eric Staal.

Just looks like someone trying to make a headline. Big names make big headlines. The only way we trade Staal is if someone wants to give us a similar caliber player plus. Not likely. Teams rarely trade guys like Staal. We have a better chance of making the playoffs than this trade has of even getting a call back.

These rumors hold no water ... there are rumors out there that Detroit and the Oilers want him as well and he would have been traded after Thanksgiving, but it didnt happen. Thats why there called rumors. Staal isnt going anywhere.

[quote name='hockeybaby wrote:

ebhughes']hmm, staal for several players that i have never heard of, and some prospects who may or may not pan out....

Yes! I am tired of it. JR already stated that the untouchables for the Hurricanes are C. Ward and Eric Staal.

I know what JR said but hockey is a business and NO ONE is untouchable, I think when JR calls someone "untouchable" that is GM speak for "if you want him he will cost and arm and a leg and a first born".  If the right deal comes along the Staal is gone and maybe Ward.  Too bad he can't say "Maurice is untouchable" in hopes of someone taking him off our hands.

Yes, Mo must Go!!

If we get a top pick then that top pick goes to play with Staal. We aren't trading him unless we get a deal that would be an absolute high way robbery for JR, in other words something like Malkin/Crosby for Staal. We have Sutter ready to center the 2nd line next year, have money to spend in the offseason and will get a top pick most likely. We're building around Staal and C.Ward.

I think the rumor is the Blues have interest in Staal and may make a pitch. I don't think there is any indication we are interested in

moving Staal.  I'm sure several teams would like to have Staal and I guess if you don't ask you don't get. But it would have to be a heck of a deal for us to even consider. Talk is cheap!  Still stranger things have happened.

You have to also remember this is the same franchise that traded away Ron Francis to the Penguins.
Yes we did.But that was a little different.   Francis was at the end of his career. We weren't going to the playoffs. We gave Francis a chance to finish his career with a playoff team and a chance for a Cup run. He also got to wear the Leaf.  Staal is the guy we have tried to build the team around. JR has said  Staal is untouchable. He may be having a frustrating year but he has a lot of hockey left to play. Although stranger things have happened I just don't see us giving up on Staal.      

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

caniac-97']You have to also remember this is the same franchise that traded away Ron Francis to the Penguins.

Yes we did.But that was a little different.   Francis was at the end of his career. We weren't going to the playoffs. We gave Francis a chance to finish his career with a playoff team and a chance for a Cup run. He also got to wear the Leaf.  Staal is the guy we have tried to build the team around. JR has said  Staal is untouchable. He may be having a frustrating year but he has a lot of hockey left to play. Although stranger things have happened I just don't see us giving up on Staal.      

you got your years wrong, we traded Francis to the Penguins in the mid 90's and he won two Stanley Cups with them.  He didn't don the Leafs jersey until '02 or '03.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

OBXer wrote:

caniac-97']

You have to also remember this is the same franchise that traded away Ron Francis to the Penguins.

you got your years wrong, we traded Francis to the Penguins in the mid 90's and he won two Stanley Cups with them.  He didn't don the Leafs jersey until '02 or '03.

Didn't get my years wrong I got my teams wrong.  Sorry when I read it it didn't register. I thought you were talking about the Leafs trade.  now that that senior moment is over  you are correct.  A mistake I think we don't want to repeat.But your point is taken and I must admit that I never think anybody is a "no trade"  no matter what anyone  says. But I see this as highly   unlikely

Well, the Francis trade to Pittsburgh was long before JR's time. He's the one who brought him back, and if I am not mistaken called it one of the worst things the previous owner/admins did to the Whalers. So, not really a good comparison. But c97's point is valid, theoretically it could happen, but the likelihood is pretty low.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

caniac-97 wrote:

OBXer']Yes we did.But that was a little different.   Francis was at the end of his career. We weren't going to the playoffs. We gave Francis a chance to finish his career with a playoff team and a chance for a Cup run. He also got to wear the Leaf.  Staal is the guy we have tried to build the team around. JR has said  Staal is untouchable. He may be having a frustrating year but he has a lot of hockey left to play. Although stranger things have happened I just don't see us giving up on Staal.      

Didn't get my years wrong I got my teams wrong.  Sorry when I read it it didn't register. I thought you were talking about the Leafs trade.  now that that senior moment is over  you are correct.  A mistake I think we don't want to repeat.But your point is taken and I must admit that I never think anybody is a "no trade"  no matter what anyone  says. But I see this as highly   unlikelyAnd I thought I was the only one on this message board that had senior moments!! lol

If the right deal came along, yes I would trade both Cam and Staal but it would have to be for Luongo, Crosby & Malkin.

Well, the Francis trade to Pittsburgh was long before JR's time. He's the one who brought him back, and if I am not mistaken called it one of the worst things the previous owner/admins did to the Whalers. So, not really a good comparison. But c97's point is valid, theoretically it could happen, but the likelihood is pretty low.
But JR is also the same guy who signed Jamie Storr and traded for Pavel Brendl!!  LOL  We know how those two went!