The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

Where y'all getting the information about potential Philly deal?  Looks like they might have a problem with their former captain pulling a Tiger with a teammate's wife.  There are currently some massive issues in the locker room according to their message boards, and an underground newspaper they quoted before the thread locked.  I'll try to get a linky when I get home.  I've been reading their boards since Lavi took the reigns there.  Additionally, too bad that SensFan thread couldn't continue, that one might have been fun, even if in violation of the TOS. 

EDIT:  removed linky.  I don't want to get a warning.  Google flyers forums and look for lockerroom drama.  After all, thinking about this, we may be getting one of the players that is a source of these rumors.  At any rate, it looks to be a mess up there in Philly, much worse than just their gameplay.    

Philly does have some locker room issues from what I read.  Bringing in a new coach with a new system then having to deal with the locker room drama creates big obstacles. Sounds like to me this is a good fit for Brind'Amour. In fact, I don't think there is another player in the NHL that could make such an impact to the Flyers current situation. 

Think about it.

Philly loves Rod (history with organization)

Philly hired Lavi - Rod understands and can command Lavi's system

Rod is a good leader with veteran presence - Fans would have confidence in him - this would boost Rod's confidence

His presence in the locker room would be positive

Rod's current play has been poor due to his speed and age - would do better under Lavi's system

More minutes for Rod - Positive shift in locker-room - Support from Fan's

This would be a great deal for both teams. 

[quote name='RedSox-n-Canes wrote:

fpsndiver']Where y'all getting the information about potential Philly deal?  Looks like they might have a problem with their former captain pulling a Tiger with a teammate's wife.  There are currently some massive issues in the locker room according to their message boards, and an underground newspaper they quoted before the thread locked.  I'll try to get a linky when I get home.  I've been reading their boards since Lavi took the reigns there.  Additionally, too bad that SensFan thread couldn't continue, that one might have been fun, even if in violation of the TOS. 

EDIT:  removed linky.  I don't want to get a warning.  Google flyers forums and look for lockerroom drama.  After all, thinking about this, we may be getting one of the players that is a source of these rumors.  At any rate, it looks to be a mess up there in Philly, much worse than just their gameplay.    

Philly does have some locker room issues from what I read.  Bringing in a new coach with a new system then having to deal with the locker room drama creates big obstacles. Sounds like to me this is a good fit for Brind'Amour. In fact, I don't think there is another player in the NHL that could make such an impact to the Flyers current situation. 

Think about it.

Philly loves Rod (history with organization)

Philly hired Lavi - Rod understands and can command Lavi's system

Rod is a good leader with veteran presence - Fans would have confidence in him - this would boost Rod's confidence

His presence in the locker room would be positive

Rod's current play has been poor due to his speed and age - would do better under Lavi's system

More minutes for Rod - Positive shift in locker-room - Support from Fan's

This would be a great deal for both teams. 

Ohhhhhh. Don't tease me like that. This would definitely be a great deal for one team. 

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

caniac-97 wrote:

djharley']What kinda worries me is that the guys we may want to trade( Walker,LaRose,A.Ward,Whitney,Sammy, to name a few---IMO) aren't really having a very good year. So who will want them? Then on to someone like Cullen or Ruutu that will have alot of trade ability that could bring us a shutdown type d-man , I would like to see those guys stay. But it is a business and it will be interesting to see where we end up.

When you say they aren't having a good year you also have to factor in that they are playing Mo's system.  Those guys flourished under Lavi's system, especially LaRose and Sammy.  I think Ruutu will stay but not so sure about Cullen, again he flourished under Lavi's system which is why we could only fill Cullen's spot with Cullen.

I think I have seen this same comment 10 gazillion times ....please, we get it.

i am working on 11 gazillion, hmm i am falling down on the job.  **note to self, post more**

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

coastal_caniac wrote:

caniac-97']When you say they aren't having a good year you also have to factor in that they are playing Mo's system.  Those guys flourished under Lavi's system, especially LaRose and Sammy.  I think Ruutu will stay but not so sure about Cullen, again he flourished under Lavi's system which is why we could only fill Cullen's spot with Cullen.

I think I have seen this same comment 10 gazillion times ....please, we get it.

i am working on 11 gazillion, hmm i am falling down on the job.  **note to self, post more**

Somebody must keep you on your toes!

I'm having a hard time seeing the logic here.  Help me out.

[quote name='wxray1 wrote:

RedSox-n-Canes']

Since Lavi uses a run-and-gun system based on speed, Rod would use the drafting technique to help him skate faster. With Mo-means-slow system, Rod just 'looks' slow out there 'cuz there is no wind/draft.

[quote name='ivyleager wrote:

wxray1 wrote:

RedSox-n-Canes']

Since Lavi uses a run-and-gun system based on speed, Rod would use the drafting technique to help him skate faster. With Mo-means-slow system, Rod just 'looks' slow out there 'cuz there is no wind/draft.

Is this NASCAR or hockey???laugh.gif

I'd be willing to bet there are more auto racing tracks in PA than in NC, should translate fine.

Brindy to Philly is interesting, but if his leadership is falling off at the same rate his skills seem to be, I'm not sure how much he would help their locker room issues. Not to mention that's an awfully big salary to swallow.

I'd be willing to bet there are more auto racing tracks in PA than in NC, should translate fine.

Brindy to Philly is interesting, but if his leadership is falling off at the same rate his skills seem to be, I'm not sure how much he would help their locker room issues. Not to mention that's an awfully big salary to swallow.

His leadership is falling off because he has lost his confidence. You give him a new team...new responsibilities and challenges...he would rise to the occasion.   We could place him on waivers to dump some salary. Rod would do awesome there.

Interesting....if ANY of the rumors of the problems in Philly are true, Brindy would be the LAST guy you'd want to sent to mend their problems!

Yep, I can confirm the racetrack thing in PA.  There are definitely more tracks up there than in NC.  World of Outlaws Sprint Car Racing is huge there.  Every town has a race track, usually 1/2 mile dirt.  I used to go watch sprints at Williams Grove when I was in college in PA....as there was nothing else to do.  We sat on beer hill, and you had to wear goggles sitting there; additionally, you had to enjoy the bit of track in your beer.  Good times.  Heck, when I first moved to NC, I was surprised that there was no local dirt track here in Wilmington.  The nearest outlaw races are in Charlotte at the "dirt track" just outside of Lowes.  But I digress.

Back to the discussion at hand:  The trade trigger didn't get pulled today, so this rumor must be total unadulterated bs.  There is so much talk of the locker room strife though, there might be some merit to that.  One of my former roomies up in Philly says that it is "the talk of the town" but that everyone is trying to keep it out of the media.

Just saw on the Hotstove on Hockey Night in Canada, that teams have called about Pitkanen and Rutherford said he's not available.  According to Elliotte Friedman, Rutherford also is planning on re-signing Whitney, not trading him.  Friedman said these two statements and pretty much nothing else because they were wrapping up the last minute of the segment.

I hope he's considering renting Whitney out for a price.  He can always re-sign him in the summer.

I hope he's considering renting Whitney out for a price.  He can always re-sign him in the summer.
That's exactly what I've been hoping for. If someone wants him, rent him out at the deadline, but bring him back next year on a 1 or 2 year contract if they can work out the numbers...and I have to believe at this point in his career Ray would be willing to take the home team discount.

Just saw on the Hotstove on Hockey Night in Canada, that teams have called about Pitkanen and Rutherford said he's not available.  According to Elliotte Friedman, Rutherford also is planning on re-signing Whitney, not trading him.  Friedman said these two statements and pretty much nothing else because they were wrapping up the last minute of the segment.
I am sure that Pitkanen is part of the core and won't be going anywhere. Cole for Pitkanen was one of JR's best trades. As to Rutherford planning on re-signing Whitney, suuuuurrrre he is, posturing. I am amazed that Whitney is doing at his age, but time catches everyone, just ask Brind'Amour. Whitney is one of my favorites, but barring a no trade clause issue, he is already gone.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

Satchel-ch1']Just saw on the Hotstove on Hockey Night in Canada, that teams have called about Pitkanen and Rutherford said he's not available.  According to Elliotte Friedman, Rutherford also is planning on re-signing Whitney, not trading him.  Friedman said these two statements and pretty much nothing else because they were wrapping up the last minute of the segment.

I am sure that Pitkanen is part of the core and won't be going anywhere. Cole for Pitkanen was one of JR's best trades. As to Rutherford planning on re-signing Whitney, suuuuurrrre he is, posturing. I am amazed that Whitney is doing at his age, but time catches everyone, just ask Brind'Amour. Whitney is one of my favorites, but barring a no trade clause issue, he is already gone.

Rutherford made a mistake with the Brindy contract. I think it was the Honeymoon effect after winning the cup that clouded his logic. In regards to resigning Whitney, this is a tough call. I think he is probably one of the best weapons in the NHL.  He is small, quick, smart and vocal. He is easily overlooked as the biggest threat because of Staal yet he out produces everyone on the team.  You take Staal out of the line-up and the opposition focuses back on Whitney allowing players like Sutter and Cullen to step up and produce.  He brings balance to our team.  Rutherford will resign him but he will do it with caution. Whitney has witnessed the Brind'Amour debacle and I'm sure he doesn't want to have to experience that as well. Therefore, I have faith things will be handled correctly.

THE SYSTEM: I do hope that both Rutherford and Mo will learn from this season and will put more faith in our system. We have young players with talent that have stepped up their play at the NHL level.  Keeping vets can be very detrimental to player development and that is my only concern with resigning Whitney. Boychuk and Bowman both have a lot of skill and we should give them more opportunity than what we already have. 

[quote name='RedSox-n-Canes wrote:

remkin wrote:

Satchel-ch1']

Rutherford made a mistake with the Brindy contract. I think it was the Honeymoon effect after winning the cup that clouded his logic. In regards to resigning Whitney, this is a tough call. I think he is probably one of the best weapons in the NHL.  He is small, quick, smart and vocal. He is easily overlooked as the biggest threat because of Staal yet he out produces everyone on the team.  You take Staal out of the line-up and the opposition focuses back on Whitney allowing players like Sutter and Cullen to step up and produce.  He brings balance to our team.  Rutherford will resign him but he will do it with caution. Whitney has witnessed the Brind'Amour debacle and I'm sure he doesn't want to have to experience that as well. Therefore, I have faith things will be handled correctly.

THE SYSTEM: I do hope that both Rutherford and Mo will learn from this season and will put more faith in our system. We have young players with talent that have stepped up their play at the NHL level.  Keeping vets can be very detrimental to player development and that is my only concern with resigning Whitney. Boychuk and Bowman both have a lot of skill and we should give them more opportunity than what we already have. 

I agree with remkin.  This is posturing. We are sending a message that if you want Whitney you won't get him for a song. Your also telling Whitney you wouldn't mind having him back under the right circumstances. I think Whitney has a few more good years and I wouldn't be disappointed to see him stay with us. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him rented or traded either.

From Spectors:

STLTODAY.COM: Jeff Gordon doubts the Blues could get into the potential bidding for Ilya Kovalchuk should the Thrashers decide to shop him, suggesting Carolina Hurricanes forwards Eric Staal and Ray Whitney might be better targets. To do so the Blues might have to part with some young talent, like T.J. Oshie, David Backes, David Perron, Lars Eller, Ian Cole, Alex Pietrangelo or Patrick Berglund. Gordon writes Blues fans want the team to move Paul Kariya and Eric Brewer but their contracts make them tough to move until later in the season.

Gordon also suggested keeping an eye on the struggling Flyers, Rangers and Hurricanes as changes could be coming to those teams after the trade freeze is lifted, while noting the Thrashers and Kings might be looking for upgrades.

SPECTOR'S NOTE:  A change -either a trade or making replacing the head coach - might be coming for the Blues if they don't gain ground in the standings in the coming weeks. As for the Hurricanes might move Whitney but I don't believe they'll trade Staal for he's the player they need to rebuild around. Trading Eric Staal just wouldn't make sense for the Hurricanes.

From the Fourth Period:

Walker Still on the Trade Block

The Carolina Hurricanes are still looking to move veteran right wing Scott Walker, according to the Edmonton Journal.

Walker is among a number of players Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is actively shopping, including defenseman Aaron Ward.

The Journal indicates the interest level in Walker is limited and a trade might not take place until closer to the March 3 trade deadline, when Walker will only have roughly $600,000 left on his contract.

Let the real games begin after Sunday....

From Spectors:

STLTODAY.COM: Jeff Gordon doubts the Blues could get into the potential bidding for Ilya Kovalchuk should the Thrashers decide to shop him, suggesting Carolina Hurricanes forwards Eric Staal and Ray Whitney might be better targets. To do so the Blues might have to part with some young talent, like T.J. Oshie, David Backes, David Perron, Lars Eller, Ian Cole, Alex Pietrangelo or Patrick Berglund. Gordon writes Blues fans want the team to move Paul Kariya and Eric Brewer but their contracts make them tough to move until later in the season.

Gordon also suggested keeping an eye on the struggling Flyers, Rangers and Hurricanes as changes could be coming to those teams after the trade freeze is lifted, while noting the Thrashers and Kings might be looking for upgrades.

SPECTOR'S NOTE:  A change -either a trade or making replacing the head coach - might be coming for the Blues if they don't gain ground in the standings in the coming weeks. As for the Hurricanes might move Whitney but I don't believe they'll trade Staal for he's the player they need to rebuild around. Trading Eric Staal just wouldn't make sense for the Hurricanes.

From the Fourth Period:

Walker Still on the Trade Block

The Carolina Hurricanes are still looking to move veteran right wing Scott Walker, according to the Edmonton Journal.

Walker is among a number of players Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is actively shopping, including defenseman Aaron Ward.

The Journal indicates the interest level in Walker is limited and a trade might not take place until closer to the March 3 trade deadline, when Walker will only have roughly $600,000 left on his contract.

Let the real games begin after Sunday....

Walker has a No-Trade Clause. Though we could waive him to see if anyone takes him.

Whitney has a No-Movement Clause. Unless he wants to go to another team, he's not going anywhere.

Staal's contract starts a No-Trade Clause next season.

Here are the definitions

NTC - player cannot be traded without his consent; consent not required for waivers for assignment to minors.

NMC - player cannot be traded, waived for a claim by another team, or assigned to the minors without his consent.

Since the Canes have under-achieved all season, I don't see any movement of the likes of A. Ward, Brind'Amour or any other of our aging team.

We just maybe stuck til the end of the season, since we have a ton of UFAs.

2010-2011 Status and my take.

Whitney- UFA.  Try to get him re-signed at the end of the season. Good solid veteran(age 37) for this team as we start rebuilding with youth.

Cullen- UFA.  Try to get him re-signed at the end of the season. Another solid veteran(age 33)

Walker- UFA.  BYE-Bye at the end of the season, if not sooner.

Yelle- UFA.  BYE-Bye at the end of the season, if not sooner.

Corvo- UFA.  Though he is injured, BYE-Bye at the end of the season, if not sooner.

A. Ward- UFA.  BYE-Bye at the end of the season, if not sooner.

Wallin- UFA.  I know I am probably in the minority on this. Try to get him re-signed at the end of the season. Maybe 1-2 more seasons, then retires a Cane. Salary hit this season was 1.75mil.

Harrison- UFA

Carson- RFA.  Try to get him re-signed at the end of the season.

Legace- UFA.  Try to get him re-signed at the end of the season. Decent mature backup for Cam.

Conboy- UFA

Brind-Amour- 1 year left @ 3.6mil. Might be able to trade for draft picks, though his salary cap hit would make it hard to move.

Cole- 1 year left @ 2.9mil. Hasn't had a good season, injury plagued.

Samsonov- 1 year left @ 2.5mil.

Jokinen- 1 year left @ 1.7mil. RFA at the end of 2010-11 season. Lock him up during this off-season.

LaRose- 1 year left @ 1.7mil. Over-achieved last season, came back down to Earth this season. Might be a good trade for picks.

Sutter- 1 year left @ 1.2. RFA at the end of 2010-11 season. Lock him up during this off-season.

Pitkanen- 1 year left @ 4mil. With his salary, almost impossible to move. See Brind'Amour.

Alberts- 1 year left @ 1mil. KEEP! Has improved his defense.

Boychuk- 1 year left @ 1.2mil. RFA at the end of 2010-11 season. Lock him up during this off-season.

Bowman- 1 year left @ 875k RFA at the end of 2010-11 season. Lock him up during this off-season.