The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Let the Canes trade rumor talks begin in the media

More Staal talk from Spectors but nothing new:

The Bolts and Hurricanes will certainly look at clearing some cap space in February and March, but I don't expect Eric Staal or Vincent Lecavalier to be among those on the move.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=805:nhl-sunday-rumor-roundup-december-27-2009&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=4

More Staal talk from Spectors but nothing new:

The Bolts and Hurricanes will certainly look at clearing some cap space in February and March, but I don't expect Eric Staal or Vincent Lecavalier to be among those on the move.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=805:nhl-sunday-rumor-roundup-december-27-2009&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=4

The Staal rumors just won't go away but they seem to be centered more on other teams having an interest then our desire to trade Staal and always  are qualified like above that they don't expect Staal to be traded.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

TSA']More Staal talk from Spectors but nothing new:

The Staal rumors just won't go away but they seem to be centered more on other teams having an interest then our desire to trade Staal and always  are qualified like above that they don't expect Staal to be traded.

I think the Staal rumors have more to do with writers needing something to write about than anything else.  It's obvious that we will be sellers and of course other teams would love to have Staal.  They'd also like to have C. Ward or Sutter.  Those aren't happening either.  

Well we were joking at the flyers game that we will most like trade this years number 1 to Burke and the Make Beliefs to get Battaglia back as part of our reunion tour.

Update from the N & O:
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/injured-walker-to-have-surgery

Rutherford was reluctant to discuss the Canes' disappointing first half, saying simply, "We weren't very good. There are many reasons why but there's no use to list them all."

Asked about potential trades or transactions, Rutherford said, "Things should start to open up" and said the Canes would "try to build some assets."

"We're not going to move a player just to move a player," he said.

Rutherford said that while be will be considering changes and entertaining potential trades, he hasn't given up on this season or begun planning for next season.

"We're fortunate we're in the right conference," he said. "If we were in the West I might say we were definitely out of it. But in the East, with a good January we could still make things interesting.

"A hot streak in January can give us a chance."

When I saw Corvo go down I thought he would be out for the year so I suspected that that was the last time I would see him as a Cane, now that there are rumors about him going, I think I might have been right, but if we got Barker in return I wouldn't mind too much.

TFP is saying JR is burning up the phone lines  looking for a trade.

The Hurricanes have beenreportedly shopping the likes of Ray Whitney, Scott Walker, Aaron Ward,Joe Corvo, Niclas Wallin and Rod Brind'Amour.

They do point out Corvo and Walker are hurt and Whitney and Wallin have no trade clauses.

ESPN insider also has something on Hurricane trades but I'm not in the in-crowd so I don't know what they are saying.

TFP is saying JR is burning up the phone lines  looking for a trade.

The Hurricanes have beenreportedly shopping the likes of Ray Whitney, Scott Walker, Aaron Ward,Joe Corvo, Niclas Wallin and Rod Brind'Amour.

They do point out Corvo and Walker are hurt and Whitney and Wallin have no trade clauses.

ESPN insider also has something on Hurricane trades but I'm not in the in-crowd so I don't know what they are saying.

hmm, those are some interesting names.  would like to see Rod and A. Ward gone, Whitney has the most value of the bunch, someone wanting to take a chance on Walker/Corvo could pay dividends for them.

Wish they were shopping MO, someone has got to be willing to send us pucks or an athletic supporter for him.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

OBXer']

TFP
is saying JR is burning up the phone lines  looking for a trade.

hmm, those are some interesting names.  would like to see Rod and A. Ward gone, Whitney has the most value of the bunch, someone wanting to take a chance on Walker/Corvo could pay dividends for them.

Wish they were shopping MO, someone has got to be willing to send us pucks or an athletic supporter for him.

They are interesting names.  I'm not sure they aren't just educated guesses from previous rumors. But TFP put them out there.  I agree Whitney would bring the most return but  Corvo and A Ward might be attractive to a team needing defensive help for a playoff run. Wallin might waive his NTC for a chance with a team that is playoff bound and a chance to stick with a new contract since we don't seem to have plans for him next year. JR would most likely try to find Walker a playoff team so he could have a shot at the cup.   Brindy is gonna be tough to move.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

caniac-97 wrote:

OBXer']
is saying JR is burning up the phone lines  looking for a trade.

They are interesting names.  I'm not sure they aren't just educated guesses from previous rumors. But TFP put them out there.  I agree Whitney would bring the most return but  Corvo and A Ward might be attractive to a team needing defensive help for a playoff run. Wallin might waive his NTC for a chance with a team that is playoff bound and a chance to stick with a new contract since we don't seem to have plans for him next year. JR would most likely try to find Walker a playoff team so he could have a shot at the cup.   Brindy is gonna be tough to move.

While I think Whitney is an attractive player to many teams, I think Cullen will garner the most interest.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

OBXer wrote:

caniac-97']hmm, those are some interesting names.  would like to see Rod and A. Ward gone, Whitney has the most value of the bunch, someone wanting to take a chance on Walker/Corvo could pay dividends for them.

While I think Whitney is an attractive player to many teams, I think Cullen will garner the most interest.It is curious that Cullen doesn't seem to be the object of any of the rumors and speculation.  Cullen would be a valuable addition to a team.  He has played very well for us this year.

I honestly expected some kind of move by Rutherford during this little break for the Canes.. Its looking less and less like that is going to happen, which is fine. I guess I'm just getting restless and need SOME kind Hurricanes action.. oh well..

From the Fourth Period:   http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/car100105.html

Hurricanes trade talks continue

TheFourthPeriod.com

Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford has been actively burning up the phone lines, trying to pull the trigger on a trade or two.

Rutherford told the Raleigh News & Observer that trades are on the horizon.

"It's not like we're giving up on the second half, but there are some players we are developing who are closer to playing here," he said. "We won't just move someone out just to move someone out. We will try to build assets, whether it's trading for a player or for drafts picks or getting a spot open for a player from Albany (AHL)."

The Hurricanes have been reportedly shopping the likes of Ray Whitney, Scott Walker, Aaron Ward, Joe Corvo, Niclas Wallin and Rod Brind'Amour.

Corvo, however, is currently recovering from leg surgery and will not return until February, while Walker will have surgery today and is expected to miss about a month of action.

Walker, Whitney and Wallin have no-trade clauses and would need to approve any move the Hurricanes try to make. Wallin has already exercised his right to veto a trade last summer.

Files from: Raleigh News & Observer

[ From the Editor ]

Rutherford has been looking to make moves for some time. The Hurricanes are active sellers this season, though many teams will look to make a move closer to the trade deadline. Carolina has some quality assets to move and should receive some compensation for them. -- David Pagnotta

From Spectors:  http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=823:nhl-rumors-tuesday-january-5-2010&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=4

NEWSOBSERVER.COM: Chip Alexander reports Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford said trades and other transactions will be coming as things "are starting to open up now as far as moving players. "

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Rutherford didn't specify which players will be moving but it won't be Eric Staal or Cam Ward.

ESPN is saying the Sens have an interest in Joni.

I read on Spectors a while ago that several teams had approached JR about Joni, but he said that Joni wasn't available.  That's good, we need him!

I would find and post it, but I'm too lazy.

[quote name='GhoulieGirl wrote:

OBXer']ESPN is saying the Sens have an interest in Joni.

I read on Spectors a while ago that several teams had approached JR about Joni, but he said that Joni wasn't available.  That's good, we need him!

I would find and post it, but I'm too lazy.

Now that the Staal trade rumors have been put to rest I guess Joni is the next logical trade rumor target.

ESPN is saying the Sens have an interest in Joni.

God I hope not. After skating with the canes and getting to meet him and get his autograph. He's been my favorite new cane player since Tuomo Ruutu.

[quote name='Mayo83 wrote:

OBXer']ESPN is saying the Sens have an interest in Joni.

God I hope not. After skating with the canes and getting to meet him and get his autograph. He's been my favorite new cane player since Tuomo Ruutu.

Just a gut feeling that I have. I don't think any of our Finns are going anywhere. They play too well together, for one reason.

And they play well individually for another !! And they are "young" and can be fast,  for a third reason. And lastly, they all 

bring the effort every night.  SISU. !  (courage, tenacity etc.)

From Hockeyleaks.com

Just a few quick hit rumours today

- The Hurricanes are looking to start their fire sale soon, and Matt Cullen could be the first to go.  Teams said to have early interest are the Flames, Senators and Thrashers.

From Hockeyleaks.com

- The Hurricanes are looking to start their fire sale soon, and Matt Cullen could be the first to go.  Teams said to have early interest are the Flames, Senators and Thrashers.

JR doesn't trade within our division so I don't see him going to the thrashers.

Law-Dawg']From Hockeyleaks.com

Really, because I would swear that Jussi Jokinen came from Tampa and both Kevyn Adams and Brett Hedican came from the Panthers.  All trade deadline or near trade deadline moves. wink.gif

Thrashers have some great rookies and prospects from collecting some high picks over the past few years.  If they have something good to offer, I'm sure JR will at the very least be willing to listen.  Its not like we're fighting them for a playoff spot this season.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

caniac
-97 wrote:

Law-Dawg']From Hockeyleaks.com

Really, because I would swear that Jussi Jokinen came from Tampa and both Kevyn Adams and Brett Hedican came from the Panthers.  All trade deadline or near trade deadline moves. wink.gif

Thrashers have some great rookies and prospects from collecting some high picks over the past few years.  If they have something good to offer, I'm sure JR will at the very least be willing to listen.  Its not like we're fighting them for a playoff spot this season.

Jussi was claimed off waivers (don't remember if it was re-entry or not) so you can't call that a trade (we gave up nothing). 

K.Adams/Hedigoochie was one of those rare times when something came together at the trade deadline.

JR has stated on more than one occasion that he doesn't trade within the division, would have thought you would have known that!

TSA wrote:

caniac
-97']JR doesn't trade within our division so I don't see him going to the thrashers.

Really, because I would swear that Jussi Jokinen came from Tampa and both Kevyn Adams and Brett Hedican came from the Panthers.  All trade deadline or near trade deadline moves.
wink.gif

Jussi was claimed off waivers (don't remember if it was re-entry or not) so you can't call that a trade (we gave up nothing). 

K.Adams/Hedigoochie was one of those rare times when something came together at the trade deadline.

JR has stated on more than one occasion that he doesn't trade within the division, would have thought you would have known that!

Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has acquired left wing Jussi Jokinen from Tampa Bay in exchange for Wade Brookbank, Josef Melichar and Carolina’s fourth-round draft pick in 2009. 

Would have thought you might have checked before stating something as fact wink.gif

Yeah, that acquisition was a thing of beauty. TB waived Jussi twice, but rather than just take him, JR got them to take some dead weight off our hands. I'd say that one worked out.