The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
djharley

What do you think is the Teams main problem/problems are so far this year?

As bad as the Canes looked last night, except for Whitney, if they had any success on the PP, we win the game. It's killed us all year, and I think it's time for JR & PM to find someone to mentor RF. This PP just hasn't gotten better, and I can't recall if we've ever scored on the 5-3 this season. I'm talking Ron the offensive coach, not the HoF player & class human being.

There is almost ZERO team chemistry. That was one thing I loved about Laviollete. I was watching my DVD i have about the 2006 Hurricanes, and at the beginning of the season Laviollete put in place team building type programs, whether it was bring your kids to work day or going out in the woods and doing team building exercises. He said that you work harder for the people you care most about. And I really don't see that in this team.

There is almost ZERO team chemistry. That was one thing I loved about Laviollete. I was watching my DVD i have about the 2006 Hurricanes, and at the beginning of the season Laviollete put in place team building type programs, whether it was bring your kids to work day or going out in the woods and doing team building exercises. He said that you work harder for the people you care most about. And I really don't see that in this team.
Chemistry might be some of it, but age has to be another.  Aging forwards that have lost a spring or 6 in their steps.  No snipers, none...occasionally Ruutu can snipe..but mostly our shots are just not that accurate.  We need younger forwards with quicker feet and snappy accurate shots.  Our defensive core was pretty decent against the Stars, it was the offense that was unable to produce. 

Our attempt at getting bigger and more physical has backfired.  The result is we are just older and slower in a league that has more teams putting youth and speed on the ice.  All we have now is a bunch of role players that don't know their role.  I don't think it's all coaching but at some point you have to start pointing fingers.  We now have a head coach with a 3-year contract while we continue to pay one we fired last year.  So, fixing any problems there is problematic.

We can't move the puck, we can't control the puck when we have it, we leave the goalie all alone, we can't crash the net with any consistency, we can't clear the net with any consistency, we make poor line changes, we have absolutely no power play, we have little scoring from the blueline, we take stupid penalties, and we can't stay healthy.  Did I mention we were old and slow?

Bottom line is the music stopped and we don't have a chair.  After last night I have cashed in this season.  We took two steps forward over the last few games against the worst teams in the league.  But, put us up against a contending team and the same old Canes hit the ice.  Just look at the December schedule if you have any hope left at all.  It doesn't look too promising that we can even get back to .500, yet alone make the playoffs.

And to add insult to this dismal start, we are up against the cap.  Yes folks, you read that right, we are up against the cap.  It's REBUILD time.  I would rather lose with youth and energy now than with this team the rest of the season.  But, I'm afraid we will have to endure another month of this until JR convinces himself it's time.  Not to mention he is losing butts in seats.  That's never good with a small market franchise.

PLEASE JR PUT THIS TEAM OUT OF ITS MISERY.

I agree with Diver. It's a young man's game and we are a slow, old team. Our D is getting old, our 3rd and 4th lines are almost ancient, and we put the oldest team in the NHL on the ice every night. Vets bring a lot to the table, they are in place to help the young guys step their game up and produce on a higher level. Just look at the boost this team received when Sutter came up. That's no coincidence. Teams like Pitt and Chicago make their living on speed and youth, and have completely turned their programs around by bringing the young guns up.

I'm not saying we should tank, even though its a definite possibility right now. But think about what a 1st or 2nd overall pick could do for this team. We would  be contenders in one short year if we dumped some of our age and started fresh. I love the guys on our team but sometimes it's just that time to part ways. We can't keep up with  the speed of other teams, we are slow and not as physical as we should be. Youth is the way to go in the NHL now. Old and slow won't win us many games this year, and even though you can't replace experience, you can't contend if you can't keep up.

Just my .02

Being too old does have a lot to do with it. There is one thing about this season that I really don't get. Maybe I'm wrong, but when we called Boychuk up, I thought he looked REALLY good. Why the heck didn't we just keep him up and sit out some of these oldies that aren't DOING ANYTHING, like Brindy or Walker?

Being too old does have a lot to do with it. There is one thing about this season that I really don't get. Maybe I'm wrong, but when we called Boychuk up, I thought he looked REALLY good. Why the heck didn't we just keep him up and sit out some of these oldies that aren't DOING ANYTHING, like Brindy or Walker?
because your roster is limited, more times than not someone has to go down so you have to ask yourself do you want to pay a player(s) $7mil (brindy and walker combined) to play in a league where the average salary is $60k?  Don't know why you are dissing on Walker, when healthy he puts in most effort than most.

"When healthy" is the important part there. I believe he is also prone for going to the box a little much. I just think Boychuk would produce a whole lot more than him.
Not this season, he needs some time in Albany.

Also it may just be me but during the Penguins series the "Hot Potato" game in which the players would consistently pass the puck to one another instead of just firing the dang thing drove me crazy and it seems to have spilled over to this season. Probably not the biggest reason but one nonetheless.

I concur one factor appears to be the age of the team until rebuilding starts it probably won't matter who's coaching. The bottom line rebuilding should happen at some point. I would rather sooner than later at least I can live with a young team finding their way.

Age is undefeated and it's wrecking havoc on this team.  The guys are a year older and a year slower.  J.R. made moves to make the team more physical whick I applauded like so many, but alas, they didn't pan out.

Defense - Did any of us think that A. Ward was going to be a defensive liability instead of an upgrade on Seidenberg?  Hindsight there would dictate another move.  We also miss the offense that Seids and Babs brought to the table.  Gleason has stepped it up in scoring, but the threat isn't the same.  Corvo and Pitkanen are the only real scoring threats.  Wallin and Ward look old and slow.  Alberts has been okay, but he was brought in to be a physical 6th/7th defenseman.  Injuries have played their part, but I refuse to lay the defensive problems on injuries. We also can't keep guys like Rodney here because of the cap (that one gets me right in the daddy parts).

Offense -  Top line winger.  Yeah, we still don't have one.  Depth this team has, but it's of 2nd to 4th liners.  Oh, and they are old too.  Sutter has been THE bright spot for the Canes this season and it bodes well for the future.  In a perfect world, we'd be seeing Boychuk get some time but there's no room without making some roster moves and we are up against the cap (that one gets me right in the daddy parts).  Does anybody want to go to the front of the goal?  Our undersized forwards don't seem to want to do that.  Injuries have hurt and I'm not sure we had a healthy Staal when we had him on the ice.  Team chemistry - yeah, right.

Goaltending - Been okay.  Unless we are going to get a goalie that can score goals, we couldn't ask for much better.  Legace has been solid filling in for Cam.  I hope Leighton is using his time off to consider his future since it won't be here.  When Cam comes back, I see us having the best tandem we've had since we won the Cup.

Coaching and Special Teams - I'll lump these together since they go hand in hand.  I'm a little underwhelmed with what I'm seeing.  Stupid penalties and bench penalties have to fall somewhat on the coaching staff.  Whether it needs to be drummed into the players heads or players controlled by limiting minutes, the coach has to take control.  Why did it take so long for Sutter to start getting some real TOI?  We all saw it and Mo kept him on the bench.  Is the power play ever going to improve?  If Francis can't get it going, something has to be done.  This is 4 years of an impotent PP.  The PP units seem to be content to gain the zone and knock the puck around the perimeter.  Who's going to the goal?  The opposing PK just has to force the pucks to the outside and not worry about anyone pestering the goalie or being in position for a rebound.  A coaching change is unlikely since that would have us paying 3 head coaches.

Management - J.R. said he caused this mess.  Well, he needs to clean it up.  Maybe recycling isn't going to work forever.  My opinion is that he let personal feelings get in the way in the Babchuk negotiations or lack thereof.  J.R. can't just make a trade and not worry about the cap since we have trouble there (that one gets me right in the daddy parts). It's time to get busy and decide what direction this team is headed.

What I want to know is where are all those board members that said "we need to spend to the cap and quit being cheap"? We spent to the cap and you see the results.

What I want to know is where are all those board members that said "we need to spend to the cap and quit being cheap"? We spent to the cap and you see the results.
We are at the cap due to injuries to high-salary players, not because JR brought in expensive talent.  I would assume that anyone desiring a payroll near the salary cap would also want that money spent relatively wisely. 

I might request that my spouse spend the entire weekly food budget, rather that skimping to save money, but I would be well within my rights to be upset if the entire amount was spent on broccoli and mayonnaise.

Well, that's easy to sit there and say, but to play devil's advocate, many of "those" members wanted top line scoring talent, not role playing, aging veterans.  So, to just make a generall statement that they wanted to "spend to the cap and quit being cheap" really doesn't reflect many of their wishes, IMO. 

[quote name='caniac-1-1 wrote:

caniac-97']What I want to know is where are all those board members that said "we need to spend to the cap and quit being cheap"? We spent to the cap and you see the results.

We are at the cap due to injuries to high-salary players, not because JR brought in expensive talent.  I would assume that anyone desiring a payroll near the salary cap would also want that money spent relatively wisely. 

I might request that my spouse spend the entire weekly food budget, rather that skimping to save money, but I would be well within my rights to be upset if the entire amount was spent on broccoli and mayonnaise.

Wisely is a relative term and what is wrong with broccoli and mayonnaise, sounds like a great sandwich.  Right up there with Bologna and whip cream or Peanut butter and ketchup.

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

caniac-97']What I want to know is where are all those board members that said "we need to spend to the cap and quit being cheap"? We spent to the cap and you see the results.

Well, that's easy to sit there and say, but to play devil's advocate, many of "those" members wanted top line scoring talent, not role playing, aging veterans.  So, to just make a general statement that they wanted to "spend to the cap and quit being cheap" really doesn't reflect many of their wishes, IMO. 

well given that JR doesn't read the board and sign players we want the only thing we can expect is that he spend to the cap and get what he perceives as the right talent.  Just didn't work out that way.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

coastal_caniac wrote:

Well, that's easy to sit there and say, but to play devil's advocate, many of "those" members wanted top line scoring talent, not role playing, aging veterans.  So, to just make a general statement that they wanted to "spend to the cap and quit being cheap" really doesn't reflect many of their wishes, IMO. 

well given that JR doesn't read the board and sign players we want the only thing we can expect is that he spend to the cap and get what he perceives as the right talent.  Just didn't work out that way.

J.R. went over the self imposed cap to get the bunch of winners we have now. 

I'm not sure how all this cap stuff works, but I think a team with deeper pockets can maneuver around it anyway.  We are capped out , per se, because we hadn't put guys on IR.  Maybe taking the "cheap route" with signings didn't work out and is going to cost more in the long run.  I was leading the charge for J.R. to sign a scoring winger and maybe let a couple of the guys we re-signed go.  I like Cole and I like LaRose, but would that money have been better spent on a top winger?  We had a group of undersized players and bringing everybody back didn't address that.  We needed a 1st line winger and bringing everybody back didn't address that.  

I feel like I paid for prime rib and got served hamburger steak (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Main Problems

1) Old

2) Slow

3) Coaching

4) Chemistry

5) Injuries

6) Anton Babchuk is over in Russia sticking pins in voodoo dolls of our players as retribution for JR dissing him this off-season

There are so many problems it is hard to point to any one solution.  I think the first thing to do now is get Staal back and set the lines you want. Then take a good look at who you can give up and make a trade for another winger. I don't care if it is first,second or third line but a skater who can score.

Brindy needs to go to the fourth line. He can skate wing if he needs to but not on the top three lines.

Whats missing from the defense. Seids and Babs.  A-Ward and Alberts haven't made up the difference.  I also have noticed IMO that Corvo plays better when Joni isn't in the lineup but when Joni isn't in the line up the defense isn't as good. Thats a problem. Last year we generated a lot of offense from the blue line in. This year not so much and it isn't just Babs not being there. He had a great shot but also turned the puck over giving opposition scoring chances. Conclusion we need another defense man.

At some point this team needs to be told who they are. They can't slug it out so they need to use speed to sustain an attack but so far they can't do it consistently. I blame the coaching staff for this. The coaches seem to have a vision for this team but IMO this team can't play to their vision.  Something has to give and it is easier to change a coach then it is to change a team.

I'm not sure the team can be fixed this year. I don't know the solution. But its time to try something.

Maybe its just me but IMO all teams and goaltenders have to do is watch a little film and see that 98.8 % of our shots go ice level or into the gut of the tender. I see no real creativity in shooting the pucks. Might seem simplistic but scouts are paid good to  figure out lots more complicated  scenarios. Forest for the trees. I was a professional second-baseman and i could stop 96% of their shots. Am i the only one who thinks this.

SCORING, and not because the Defenders don't contribute.  Look, they're all lovable, but the following players have to produce (ytd points in brackets). Larose (6), Samsonov (8), Brind'Amour (7), Cole (4) (ok, he missed some games), and Staal when he returns.

Chad Larose is LAST in the NHL (366th) in Shooting % at 1.5%.  We all know Brind'Amour is last in plus/minus (738th), but Samsonov is sitting right there at 730th.  Guys, look in the mirror and pick up your games!  If your plus/minus is larger (in real terms) than your total points after 23 games, that's a problem!

They all have been mostly top 9 forwards through this debacle.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

coastal_caniac wrote:

Not really understanding how this response has anything to do with you calling out the board for wanting to spend above the self-imposed cap, or the thread topic in general for that matter.  But whatever.  It's painfully obvious things haven't worked out.