The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
djharley

What do you think is the Teams main problem/problems are so far this year?

Lavi had (or used) some interesting ideas in the year after the lockout, when a new start was in order.  For example: the "ropes" course, "dad's weekend", etc. to build some off ice chemistry.

I know they did Dad's weekend this year, although from what I could see on TV, it didn't seem to be a tight group.

I think this team lacks something off ice that they had before.  I suspect precisely because the core group has been there so long, they take it for granted.  But there's a bad downside to that, and it is that the new guys won't fit in very well.  I also suspect that as some of the guys have gotten married, and/or had kids, there is more tendency to go home("Honey, I need you to look at this furniture I want to buy.  Honey, Johnny needs help with homework") rather than shoot a round of golf or darts with the guys.  This is not necessarily bad, as family should come first.  However, it could cause some decline at work espirit de corps.

You may have seen this at your work.  When I started some jobs, all the new folks really got tight together after hours, especially if the old guys helped by inviting them to whatever: bar, picnic, etc.  After a few years, new folks may have a hard time getting "in".  Also, even the old core doesn't care much to do stuff after work anymore.

LEADERSHIP owns this problem.  That would include, among others,  Brindy, Staal, Whitney, Walker, A Ward, C Ward the coach and GM.  I have no idea what they are doing in this regard, except for hearing that Brindy invited the kids over around Thanksgiving somewhere on this or another board.  I have no visibility into the locker room, I'm just guessing based on experience I've seen over time at my work.

Anaheim just placed Erik Christensen on waivers. He's moved around a bit but he's young and can still get better. 

Will JR make a move for him? I don't even know if the cap allows for it. 

We knew we'd have to rely on scoring depth to win games because of a lack of pure goal scorers and either due to age, injuries or underperformance, that depth isnt there.  That along with the dysfunctional play in the D-zone and the passive play after giving up a goal leaves them looking up from the bottom.   Just scratching the surface.

you guys are writing novels.

calm down and let the guys play

Yo, dog!  it is how we roll around here, they play and we over analyze adnauseum!!