The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hurricanes1210

Erik Cole

Cole should probably be a second liner t this point in his career. He can be depended upon to give it his all whenever he in the ice, which is more than I can say for some.

Cole played really well tonight, and he has improved that 2-3 games.wink.gif

Is it possible that Cole needs Staal more then Staal needs Cole?  Just wondering...
That thought has crossed my mind. But when Staal was out and Boychuk was up I think Cole and Boychuk played pretty well together.

My guess is Staal and Cole need each other and they both need a scoring winger on their line.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

topshelfavry']Is it possible that Cole needs Staal more then Staal needs Cole?  Just wondering...

That thought has crossed my mind. But when Staal was out and Boychuk was up I think Cole and Boychuk played pretty well together.

My guess is Staal and Cole need each other and they both need a scoring winger on their line.

That probably about right.  I just thought Cole has looked like the 02 Cole the last couple of games.

Cole had a nifty move on the Samsonof goal, but one play doesn't make a season.  He took two dumb penalties that cost the team in the Dallas game,

[quote name='topshelfavry wrote:

OBXer wrote:

topshelfavry']Is it possible that Cole needs Staal more then Staal needs Cole?  Just wondering...

That probably about right.  I just thought Cole has looked like the 02 Cole the last couple of games.The 02 Cole would be nice. Don't know if we will see that again but agree he has been playing more like the Cole we remember

Skates fast, no puck handling skills at all. I was amazed he made that play to Sergei last night. Why would anyone (Mo) put Cole on the power play? He's a speed guy, and can't handle the puck when pressured.

Ironically Cole had a good game last night, but Cole is not the same player after the injury. I was in the minority who thought that bringing Cole back only made sense since Williams was out with an injury. Cole looks amazing for a play or two, but is not and will never be a very good first line winger. The thing is his game doesn't make him a very good second or third line winger either. Who would rather have J. Willy right now?

Cole is not in the Core.

trade bait?
Potentially, but like you said, 1 or 2 good games doesn't make a season and his high contract is hanging over this team like dead weight.  I actually think Cole could make a good impact on a contending team down the stretch but it would be an expensive gamble for any GM.

[quote name='topshelfavry wrote:

colliefan']trade bait?

Potentially, but like you said, 1 or 2 good games doesn't make a season and his high contract is hanging over this team like dead weight.  I actually think Cole could make a good impact on a contending team down the stretch but it would be an expensive gamble for any GM. 

I have been a Cole fan since he first joined the team so my opinion may be clouded. Although one or two games do not make a season Cole has been playing pretty well lately. He is coming off a broken leg that certainly has had some impact on his game.

Cole doesn't have the mobility especially the ability to go to his backhand as he did pre- neck injury. But he still has the speed. He still can bang in the corners and he has always been able to dig out the puck and center to the front of the net. He is also in my opinion still a  20 goal scoring winger.

On this team, if the right deal came along I could see him being traded but I think we are better with him than without him.  I also agree for another GM he would be a gamble. He is injury prone and he might not fit in easily on another team as we saw with the Oil.

He is one player you can tell is happiest in Carolina.That leads me to believe we would be giving up more then we get in a Cole trade.

Nobody likes Cole, but when Staal is playing with him, Staal is better.  When Sutter played with him, Sutter came alive.  When Boychuck played with him, Boychuck looked very strong.  He's like the opposite of Chad Larose, who everyone loves but is an anchor on all players offensive output.

Personally I cant stand Cole. He has this attitude that he feels like people owe him. He is only friendly in the spotlight. When no cameras are looking he can be a real *edit*. As far as his skills go, the guy has one move and one speed. His only move is to fly down the boards and cut in towards the net, which never works. He skates so fast he cant keep the puck on his stick. He has hands like bricks. He wines like a little girl. I know he played a big role in helping us make it to the playoffs last year, but it was one of the worst moves bringing him back to the team. I hear people saying that he is playing so good now. He is a -7 with 3 goals. You couldnt trade for a used puck bag for that.

you seem to be basing all of this on the fact that you know him on a personal level. Do you actually know him, or do you know of him?

Anyway....trading anyone at this point is a bad idea. We wont get jack.

in addition, GM's will be afraid of Cole b/c A)- He is injury prone (said before), and B) He doesn't work in every system. Keep him, he is a decent defensive player, and his speed is a very valuble weapon, concidering we are going into rebuild mode next year, with all that speedy youth wasting away in albany

Personally I cant stand Cole. He has this attitude that he feels like people owe him. He is only friendly in the spotlight. When no cameras are looking he can be a real *edit*. As far as his skills go, the guy has one move and one speed. His only move is to fly down the boards and cut in towards the net, which never works. He skates so fast he cant keep the puck on his stick. He has hands like bricks. He wines like a little girl. I know he played a big role in helping us make it to the playoffs last year, but it was one of the worst moves bringing him back to the team. I hear people saying that he is playing so good now. He is a -7 with 3 goals. You couldnt trade for a used puck bag for that.
Real nice.  The guy broke his leg 8 weeks ago, and he came back at the 6 week mark.  Sounds like a whiner.

Maybe we should give the guy a chance to get his game back together, or should we start the Staal drums beating as well?

[quote name='hag65 wrote:

icecrew02']Personally I cant stand Cole. He has this attitude that he feels like people owe him. He is only friendly in the spotlight. When no cameras are looking he can be a real *edit*. As far as his skills go, the guy has one move and one speed. His only move is to fly down the boards and cut in towards the net, which never works. He skates so fast he cant keep the puck on his stick. He has hands like bricks. He wines like a little girl. I know he played a big role in helping us make it to the playoffs last year, but it was one of the worst moves bringing him back to the team. I hear people saying that he is playing so good now. He is a -7 with 3 goals. You couldnt trade for a used puck bag for that.

Real nice.  The guy broke his leg 8 weeks ago, and he came back at the 6 week mark.  Sounds like a whiner.

Maybe we should give the guy a chance to get his game back together, or should we start the Staal drums beating as well

Ok look I know I might have come off as a "whiner" but I have played the game and also officiated the game at a minor league level. Broke his leg or not these are professional athletes. So let me remind you that you are paying their salary. If the guy is not getting it done the second time around then uh ??? I know fans might have an attachment to him but you have to know when enough is enough 

you seem to be basing all of this on the fact that you know him on a personal level. Do you actually know him, or do you know of him?

Anyway....trading anyone at this point is a bad idea. We wont get jack.

in addition, GM's will be afraid of Cole b/c A)- He is injury prone (said before), and B) He doesn't work in every system. Keep him, he is a decent defensive player, and his speed is a very valuble weapon, concidering we are going into rebuild mode next year, with all that speedy youth wasting away in albany

I would have to say more to the fact that I know of him. But that does not exclude the fact that I know his personality. 

I really hope Staal doesn't buy into the "Staal needs Cole" hype as much as some people around here do. If he starts to actually believe that an average second-line winger is the key to his ability, this franchise will be in MUCH bigger trouble than it already is. What Staal needs are legitimate first-line linemates, which he has never had in Carolina. I've asked this question before and I'll ask it again, how many successful franchises are there out there with only one elite forward? This franchise will never be consistently successful until this need is addressed.