Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
chucktown-caniac

Fan Boycott

Recommended Posts

Yea anyone remember what happened when the fair-weather fans in Pittsburgh gave up on their team for 5-6 seasons until Crosby. They almost moved 2-3 times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yea anyone remember what happened when the fair-weather fans in Pittsburgh gave up on their team for 5-6 seasons until Crosby. They almost moved 2-3 times.

Quebec Hurricanes, Hamilton Hurricanes, Las Vegas Hurricanes, Kansas City Hurricanes? What will it be ,Boycotters? Remember this team abandonded Hartford! Don't think it couldn't happen again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't blame JR, our problems are motivation and leadership.  Mo is responsible for the motivation and Brindy the leadership.

I'm not about to give JR a pass on this mess.  He signed Brindy to a long term deal at an advanced age for a hockey player.  He signed some marginal players (pick one of several) to 3 or 4 year deals.  He recycled a coach that has averaged about 76 points in the standings per 82 game season and then signed him to a 3 year deal.  We've had some success stories like Jussi and Legace, but we have some failures like the recycling of Tanabe, recyling or A. Ward,  recycling of Cole (jury is still out on this one), Letowski as a Cullen replacement, Brookbank and Melichar (although they turned into Jussi), the Babchuk saga, Jeff Hamilton, Graham Crackers, and Conboy on a one-way deal.  I'm sure I've missed some.  Ruutu and Gleason are successes but they represent very high draft choices who were traded away.  The draft history is another deal altogether.

You may not blame JR, but remember, he brought your favorite coach back and then signed him to a 3 year deal.  He sits at the head of the table for this mess.

   

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:


caniac-97']

I don't blame JR, our problems are motivation and leadership.  Mo is responsible for the motivation and Brindy the leadership.

I'm not about to give JR a pass on this mess.  He signed Brindy to a long term deal at an advanced age for a hockey player.  He signed some marginal players (pick one of several) to 3 or 4 year deals.  He recycled a coach that has averaged about 76 points in the standings per 82 game season and then signed him to a 3 year deal.  We've had some success stories like Jussi and Legace, but we have some failures like the recycling of Tanabe, recyling or A. Ward,  recycling of Cole (jury is still out on this one), Letowski as a Cullen replacement, Brookbank and Melichar (although they turned into Jussi), the Babchuk saga, Jeff Hamilton, Graham Crackers, and Conboy on a one-way deal.  I'm sure I've missed some.  Ruutu and Gleason are successes but they represent very high draft choices who were traded away.  The draft history is another deal altogether.

You may not blame JR, but remember, he brought your favorite coach back and then signed him to a 3 year deal.  He sits at the head of the table for this mess.

   

  wasn't my favorite coach, I was hoping for Torts!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:


super-dave-1 wrote:

caniac-97']

I don't blame JR, our problems are motivation and leadership.  Mo is responsible for the motivation and Brindy the leadership.

I'm not about to give JR a pass on this mess.  He signed Brindy to a long term deal at an advanced age for a hockey player.  He signed some marginal players (pick one of several) to 3 or 4 year deals.  He recycled a coach that has averaged about 76 points in the standings per 82 game season and then signed him to a 3 year deal.  We've had some success stories like Jussi and Legace, but we have some failures like the recycling of Tanabe, recyling or A. Ward,  recycling of Cole (jury is still out on this one), Letowski as a Cullen replacement, Brookbank and Melichar (although they turned into Jussi), the Babchuk saga, Jeff Hamilton, Graham Crackers, and Conboy on a one-way deal.  I'm sure I've missed some.  Ruutu and Gleason are successes but they represent very high draft choices who were traded away.  The draft history is another deal altogether.

You may not blame JR, but remember, he brought your favorite coach back and then signed him to a 3 year deal.  He sits at the head of the table for this mess.

   

  
wasn't my favorite coach, I was hoping for Torts!!!

Mo over Torts?  Torts over Mo?  Now I am confused.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a Cubs fan. I've been through worse than this season.

Lest I say "I told you so" but even Kaberle didn't play as bad as A.Ward has this season. Everyone was screaming for the return of A. Ward. Be careful what you wish for.....................

On topic: I won't boycott this team. I will let them know my displeasure by whistling when their play (or lack of) warrants. I love hockey, and if anyone watched the San Jose/LA Kings game this weekend (on CenterIce) saw what skill and speed looks like. It made me realize that the Canes look like geriatric geezers out there on the ice. No speed at all.

Off topic: For some reason the players aren't backing each other up on the ice. Something is going on in the locker room, IMO, even though no one is saying it. From my perspective, if your leader who has always lead by example is now unable to be any king of an example, where is the leadership? Some one needs to TALK/SPEAK, and Rod is no talker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a Cubs fan. I've been through worse than this season.

Lest I say "I told you so" but even Kaberle didn't play as bad as A.Ward has this season. Everyone was screaming for the return of A. Ward. Be careful what you wish for.....................

I am a long time Braves fan as in back in the '60's and '70's so I feel your pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great way to show the team that we support them even if they are struggling right now. It is already clear that the majority of the fan base is displeased with MO. IMO this would do more harm than good for the players themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perspective.  In the past 7 years, 8 of the 15 teams have reached the ECF (7 have not).  Four of the Eight have reached the ECF twice.  Only one team has been there 3 times (hurricanes).  Only two teams have been to the Stanley cup finals twice, Carolina and Pittsburgh.  (that's pittsburgh who finished last in the league for half a decade to get the picks to get them there).  And only 4 of the teams have won the stanley cup, Pitt, Carolina, NJ, and TB.

Now, the year after going to the ECF for the 3rd time in 7 years, people who have been paying some of the lowest ticket prices in the league are talking boycott because of minor injuries (just #1 center, #1 Dman, and #1 Goalie, nothing that would impact a team too much) and a few offseason moves that didn't pan out. (or as the board sees it "Mo!")

I think this thread officially forfeits any rights to act offended when people say we are a bunch of bandwagon fans when, if the goal is to go deep in the playoffs, we've been watching the most successful team in the Eastern Conference for the last 7.

The good news of course is that the team is regained health and 2 dmen from being a contender again.  With two solid top 6 prospects in waiting, some vets salaries coming off the books, and hopefully a top 3 pick, the team should be back in form in 10-11. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:


cane-addict-1']Man this is a stupid thread. Management did everything they could this off-season. They even spent to the cap, something we have been begging for! All the experts thought we would be a contender but it didn't work out. Personally, thats what makes this season tolerable for me. JR did what everyone thought he should do. At least he tried. If on the other hand he didn't do anything this off season, spent to the cap floor and we had a season like this, that is a completely different story because in that situation he set us up to fail. If that were the case then yea I could see being angry but come on.

I disagree with this thread being stupid.  Now I'm not about to boycott anything and you are right about JR spending, but something has to change with what's happening now.  All we have gotten are statements from JR that he isn't going to make any changes and let's see what happens.  It's a little late now for that kind of thinking.  My faith in JR has been shaken by this inaction and made me re-evaluate his moves and in hindsight, they haven't been great.

We haven't even gotten to December and the season is over.  That is unacceptable.   We aren't the Lions or the Clippers.Hear! hear! Dave, you are EXACTLY right.

I can't believe the posts here that perpetuate the myth - and it is an absolute MYTH - that boycotting a game will result in the team moving. Teams move when cities won't build them new arenas and/or give them tax breaks. You could look it up. (That is also unacceptable, but that's a topic for another thread.) We fans have shown bottomless support for this team, and all managmeent has to do if it doubts that in the least is remember Greensboro.

The idea of a one-game boycott as a statement has real merit. The suggestion that season ticket holders not showing up wouldn't matter is dead wrong: the opposite is true. If fans who already paid for their seats chose to stay away, it would make the statement that much more powerful: "I've already bought that seat, and this team is playing so poorly I'm willing to leave it empty for one night if it might help change things."

All of that said, IF a boycott-as-fan-statement is going to work, it needs to be a lot more carefully planned - not only to give the idea time to gain traction, but, frankly, to give management a chance to avoid it.

First, pick a game on a Saturday night, to ensure the team can't use the work/school excuse for sparse attendance. Second, schedule the boycott two weeks hence, so word gets around and there is hopefully not EVEN sparse attendance. Third, give the team an immently achievable escape hatch: "If we win two of our next seven games, or real action is taken to turn things around, the boycott is off."

Fourth, fans would need to unanimously adopt a statement of the REASON for the boycott. And last but not least, everybody should absolutely bust it to get to the very next home game, as a clear statement that we still support the team, and to reinforce the point that the single-game boycott was nothing more than a statement of our displeasure - but nothing less, either.

So - and I'm just giving an example here - if we picked the Saturday, December 19 game vs. Florida, there are seven games (not counting tonight's against the Craps), between now and then. If we win two of those games - a mere .285 winning percentage - the boycott's off, never again to be raised for the remainder of the season. And we need to fill the stands as fully as possible for the game against the Rags the following Monday (which would be doubly awesome: fewer Rangers fans in our house!).

Perhaps most important is that unanimous statement of the reason for the boycott, preferably circulated and signed by fans during the intervening seven games.   

    

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to boycott them hit them in the wallet.  Don't buy anything at the concession stands. 

No kidding! Too cold tonight to drink a beer, so I wandered up the 2nd level bar to get a double-shot of Bailey's to put in my coffee......$16!!!!!! $8 bucks for a liqueur shot?? Inconceivable! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hear! hear! Dave, you are EXACTLY right.

I can't believe the posts here that perpetuate the myth - and it is an absolute MYTH - that boycotting a game will result in the team moving. Teams move when cities won't build them new arenas and/or give them tax breaks. You could look it up. (That is also unacceptable, but that's a topic for another thread.) We fans have shown bottomless support for this team, and all managmeent has to do if it doubts that in the least is remember Greensboro.

The idea of a one-game boycott as a statement has real merit. The suggestion that season ticket holders not showing up wouldn't matter is dead wrong: the opposite is true. If fans who already paid for their seats chose to stay away, it would make the statement that much more powerful: "I've already bought that seat, and this team is playing so poorly I'm willing to leave it empty for one night if it might help change things."

All of that said, IF a boycott-as-fan-statement is going to work, it needs to be a lot more carefully planned - not only to give the idea time to gain traction, but, frankly, to give management a chance to avoid it.

First, pick a game on a Saturday night, to ensure the team can't use the work/school excuse for sparse attendance. Second, schedule the boycott two weeks hence, so word gets around and there is hopefully not EVEN sparse attendance. Third, give the team an immently achievable escape hatch: "If we win two of our next seven games, or real action is taken to turn things around, the boycott is off."

Fourth, fans would need to unanimously adopt a statement of the REASON for the boycott. And last but not least, everybody should absolutely bust it to get to the very next home game, as a clear statement that we still support the team, and to reinforce the point that the single-game boycott was nothing more than a statement of our displeasure - but nothing less, either.

So - and I'm just giving an example here - if we picked the Saturday, December 19 game vs. Florida, there are seven games (not counting tonight's against the Craps), between now and then. If we win two of those games - a mere .285 winning percentage - the boycott's off, never again to be raised for the remainder of the season. And we need to fill the stands as fully as possible for the game against the Rags the following Monday (which would be doubly awesome: fewer Rangers fans in our house!).

Perhaps most important is that unanimous statement of the reason for the boycott, preferably circulated and signed by fans during the intervening seven games.      

  

Looks like someone picked up a copy of Boycotting For Dummies.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, while I don't think a fan boycott could be of any helpful purpose, I totally understand the frustration, as I am frustrated, too.

It's not so much that we are having a bad season, but the fact that nothing is happening, no changes are made...simply nothing. The only thing that's goin' on is bad decisions over and over.

Some guys here who already know me and probably read my post through the last years will know: I'm talkin' about changes over and over for a long time now, especially when it comes to this teams age. What's the matter with picking up a 37 years old, high paid veteran "A. Ward" over a mid age and talented guy like Seidenberg? What's the matter with the Babchuk story, the one D who was our top scoring Defenseman the first year he returned, at 25 years of age? I don't get it...

Now let's see what happens right now: We had a 14 games loosing streak, but then, finally, we got over it, because we found a line that got at least something goin: Whitney, Sutter, Cole. And: There's no question about WHO were the performers in this line (certainly not Cole). What happend? Right, Staal returns and we put or best players so far (Whitney and Sutter) to the 3rd line. What the f...?!

Also: Rodney is a great boy, he played really well considering his low nhl experience. But: We put him back to Albany again and play the grandpa over him. Do you all realize that our top D prospects will turn UFA before we even take'em to the NHL? Wouldn't this team, and especially this team on a small market, desperately want to USE this first 3 years of an entry level contract to have valuable players at low salary? I think so, but it's simply not gonna happen. Not to mention what to expect from those young players when it comes to care about the franchise...a franchise who let them hang out dry during this time.

Where are we now? Yes, at a point where JR is telling is again: "No changes are necessary, lets see what happens...". In the end we will end up trading for some used up veterans at the trade deadline as we always do, and see our prospects walk away as soon as their contracts end (e.g. Rodney, who will become UFA after this season...yes, no joke).

I would have no problem wtih having a bad season and see this team lose a ton of games, if it just were for sake of anything...If at least there was some talent to see out there, a small vision of this teams future, some young guys out there growing to be this teams faces within the next few years. But it isn't, in fact I only see old worn up players trying to earn their charity somewhere...with as much as success as we now can see on the NHL standings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Top-shelf-1, I am curious, are you a season ticket holder?
Why, coastal? Does that make a difference?

To answer your question, the demands of my work won't allow it (I'm away much of the time, often at a moment's notice), so I support the team by purchasing full-price tickets as often as I can - including playoff tix. I would estimate that I've spent as much in each of the the past four seasons (since moving here) as most 12- or 16-game-plan buyers.

It's clear to me from your posts here that you are displeased, but not enough to boycott. You believe it's wrong to drop your support, even for a game, and I respect and can appreciate that, even though I don't feel the same way.

As someone who supported hockey as an STH years ago (different team); who has played the game for more than 40 years and taught it to young players; and who travels frequently to Canada - where hockey DNA is so embedded that their $5 bill features a picture of youngsters playing pond hockey, and cities and towns pay to build twin indoor rinks for youth and recreational hockey (while we get away with erecting a backstop and some fencing for players of our national sport) - I can assure you that a performance such as this by any Canadian team would meet with something bordering on open warfare.

The management and players of this team know that, the vast percentage of them having been born and raised in Canada. It is for that reason I say - and will continue to say - that we are letting them off too easily. If we are as hockey crazy as we say we are, we should show it. Being a Caniac is all well and good, but part of supporting a team should include being critical of it in criticism-worthy situations, and more strongly registering our discontent when warranted. Unless we do, we provide little incentive for change. That is why I think a clear, measured, and proactive expression - by we fans - that this the team's performance goes beyond unacceptable is worthy of consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='smile.giftop-shelf-1 wrote:


coastal_caniac']Top-shelf-1, I am curious, are you a season ticket holder?

Why, coastal? Does that make a difference?

To answer your question, the demands of my work won't allow it (I'm away much of the time, often at a moment's notice), so I support the team by purchasing full-price tickets as often as I can - including playoff tix. I would estimate that I've spent as much in each of the the past four seasons (since moving here) as most 12- or 16-game-plan buyers.

It's clear to me from your posts here that you are displeased, but not enough to boycott. You believe it's wrong to drop your support, even for a game, and I respect and can appreciate that, even though I don't feel the same way.

As someone who supported hockey as an STH years ago (different team); who has played the game for more than 40 years and taught it to young players; and who travels frequently to Canada - where hockey DNA is so embedded that their $5 bill features a picture of youngsters playing pond hockey, and cities and towns pay to build twin indoor rinks for youth and recreational hockey (while we get away with erecting a backstop and some fencing for players of our national sport) - I can assure you that a performance such as this by any Canadian team would meet with something bordering on open warfare.

The management and players of this team know that, the vast percentage of them having been born and raised in Canada. It is for that reason I say - and will continue to say - that we are letting them off too easily. If we are as hockey crazy as we say we are, we should show it. Being a Caniac is all well and good, but part of supporting a team should include being critical of it in criticism-worthy situations, and more strongly registering our discontent when warranted. Unless we do, we provide little incentive for change. That is why I think a clear, measured, and proactive expression - by we fans - that this the team's performance goes beyond unacceptable is worthy of consideration.Yeah it matters.  Particularly since you seem bent on telling me what I should do with my tickets.  As you stated, all you have to do to "boycott"  is not show up at the box office, since you haven't made the financial obligation to purchase season tickets.  Just because I refuse to entertain the idea of a "boycott" of the team by not showing up to a game as some big statement doesn't mean I am oblivious or ambivalent to the current state of affairs.  If the current trend continues, a boycott will be much longer than one game, because fair weather, band wagon, or as you describe them, those who just can't purchase season tickets, will no longer show up at the RBC Center.  The organization will get the message when the parking lots are empty, concessions are down, and their are no butts in the seats.  I am sure we can both agree on that point. And by the way, I fully understand the monoculture of hockey in Canada, as I have travelled extensively in that country.  But the fact is, this aint Canada, thank god. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:


smile.gif

top-shelf-1 wrote:

coastal_caniac']Top-shelf-1, I am curious, are you a season ticket holder?

Why, coastal? Does that make a difference?

To answer your question, the demands of my work won't allow it (I'm away much of the time, often at a moment's notice), so I support the team by purchasing full-price tickets as often as I can - including playoff tix. I would estimate that I've spent as much in each of the the past four seasons (since moving here) as most 12- or 16-game-plan buyers.

It's clear to me from your posts here that you are displeased, but not enough to boycott. You believe it's wrong to drop your support, even for a game, and I respect and can appreciate that, even though I don't feel the same way.

As someone who supported hockey as an STH years ago (different team); who has played the game for more than 40 years and taught it to young players; and who travels frequently to Canada - where hockey DNA is so embedded that their $5 bill features a picture of youngsters playing pond hockey, and cities and towns pay to build twin indoor rinks for youth and recreational hockey (while we get away with erecting a backstop and some fencing for players of our national sport) - I can assure you that a performance such as this by any Canadian team would meet with something bordering on open warfare.

The management and players of this team know that, the vast percentage of them having been born and raised in Canada. It is for that reason I say - and will continue to say - that we are letting them off too easily. If we are as hockey crazy as we say we are, we should show it. Being a Caniac is all well and good, but part of supporting a team should include being critical of it in criticism-worthy situations, and more strongly registering our discontent when warranted. Unless we do, we provide little incentive for change. That is why I think a clear, measured, and proactive expression - by we fans - that this the team's performance goes beyond unacceptable is worthy of consideration.
Yeah it matters.  Particularly since you seem bent on telling me what I should do with my tickets.  As you stated, all you have to do to "boycott"  is not show up at the box office, since you haven't made the financial obligation to purchase season tickets.  Just because I refuse to entertain the idea of a "boycott" of the team by not showing up to a game as some big statement doesn't mean I am oblivious or ambivalent to the current state of affairs.  If the current trend continues, a boycott will be much longer than one game, because fair weather, band wagon, or as you describe them, those who just can't purchase season tickets, will no longer show up at the RBC Center.  The organization will get the message when the parking lots are empty, concessions are down, and their are no butts in the seats.  I am sure we can both agree on that point. And by the way, I fully understand the monoculture of hockey in Canada, as I have travelled extensively in that country.  But the fact is, this aint Canada, thank god. 

So you went from being "curious" about my ticket status to trying to use it against me, just as I suspected you would. Another graduate of the Sarah Palin School of Debate. Well played, coastal.

Maybe the book you should feature as your avatar is "READING for Dummies," because you clearly blew right by my acknowledgement that you can use your tickets anyway you want. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, and I respect (repeating here) the choices you make. But of the two scenarios we're presenting, (a) a one-game statement aimed at hastening change, or (B) the slow decline and long rebuilding you describe which do you think is more likely to do long-term damage to this team you love so much?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be plenty of "boycotting" as the suckage continues.  Boycotting in the form of walk up purchaces, group purchases, STH's buying additional tickets, and unused corporate seats.  If you already have a book full of tickets as a STH, a boycott probably isn't a thing you are much intersested in doing.  If you are buying individual tickets, especially at full price, a boycott is a lot easier to stomach considering most games are on television so if you are interested you can still see the game.

Even though I don't support a boycot, I don't see this thread as a waste.  I have read opinions many times that fans in a "real hockey town" wouldn't put up with what we endure without getting vocal.  I have read opinions that we shouldn't do anything to embarass the organization or add fuel to the fire that we are bandwagon fans.  You can't have it both ways.  Since I still love hockey, I won't be boycotting any games, but I will admit that I'd chuckle now if I saw a brown paper bag or two.  A couple of weeks ago, I had a different opinion on brown bagging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='top-shelf-1 wrote:


coastal_caniac wrote:

smile.gif
top-shelf-1']Why, coastal? Does that make a difference?

To answer your question, the demands of my work won't allow it (I'm away much of the time, often at a moment's notice), so I support the team by purchasing full-price tickets as often as I can - including playoff tix. I would estimate that I've spent as much in each of the the past four seasons (since moving here) as most 12- or 16-game-plan buyers.

It's clear to me from your posts here that you are displeased, but not enough to boycott. You believe it's wrong to drop your support, even for a game, and I respect and can appreciate that, even though I don't feel the same way.

As someone who supported hockey as an STH years ago (different team); who has played the game for more than 40 years and taught it to young players; and who travels frequently to Canada - where hockey DNA is so embedded that their $5 bill features a picture of youngsters playing pond hockey, and cities and towns pay to build twin indoor rinks for youth and recreational hockey (while we get away with erecting a backstop and some fencing for players of our national sport) - I can assure you that a performance such as this by any Canadian team would meet with something bordering on open warfare.

The management and players of this team know that, the vast percentage of them having been born and raised in Canada. It is for that reason I say - and will continue to say - that we are letting them off too easily. If we are as hockey crazy as we say we are, we should show it. Being a Caniac is all well and good, but part of supporting a team should include being critical of it in criticism-worthy situations, and more strongly registering our discontent when warranted. Unless we do, we provide little incentive for change. That is why I think a clear, measured, and proactive expression - by we fans - that this the team's performance goes beyond unacceptable is worthy of consideration.

Yeah it matters.  Particularly since you seem bent on telling me what I should do with my tickets.  As you stated, all you have to do to "boycott"  is not show up at the box office, since you haven't made the financial obligation to purchase season tickets.  Just because I refuse to entertain the idea of a "boycott" of the team by not showing up to a game as some big statement doesn't mean I am oblivious or ambivalent to the current state of affairs.  If the current trend continues, a boycott will be much longer than one game, because fair weather, band wagon, or as you describe them, those who just can't purchase season tickets, will no longer show up at the RBC Center.  The organization will get the message when the parking lots are empty, concessions are down, and their are no butts in the seats.  I am sure we can both agree on that point. And by the way, I fully understand the monoculture of hockey in Canada, as I have travelled extensively in that country.  But the fact is, this aint Canada, thank god. 

So you went from being "curious" about my ticket status to trying to use it against me, just as I suspected you would. Another graduate of the Sarah Palin School of Debate. Well played, coastal.

Maybe the book you should feature as your avatar is "READING for Dummies," because you clearly blew right by my acknowledgement that you can use your tickets anyway you want. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, and I respect (repeating here) the choices you make. But of the two scenarios we're presenting, (a) a one-game statement aimed at hastening change, or (B) the slow decline and long rebuilding you describe which do you think is more likely to do long-term damage to this team you love so much?

Really no reason to start suggesting folks are "dumb".  But funny nonetheless.  In case you missed the chapter entitled "Reading Comprehension" I've stated nothing other than if you want me to boycott a game, then send me $150 bucks.  I can PM you my address.  As stated by many other posters before me, folks who have financial committments aren't going to just stay home to make a statement.  That's why I think the suggestion is unrealistic, if not a little ridiculous, and frankly, aint got a snowball's chance in happening anyway.  AGAIN, a long-term decline in ticket sales and lost concessions will have more impact than some kind of organized "boycott" and will certainly be noticed by the organization.  As far as the slow decline and long rebuilding you suggest I'm describing, don't believe I found that anywhere in this thread.  But feel free to post that up. 

As far as either of "your" scenarios, A and B, I'll answer "your" questions.  Scenario A will have no long-term impact or do no damage to the team I love so much because it's a ridiculous suggestion that won't happen anyway (read paragraph above).   Scenario B is tougher because I don't understand what "you" mean by slow decline and long rebuilding.  Personally, I think the smart move is to do nothing (of subtance) until the trade deadline, unless of course we can shed some salary through waivers or some miraculous trade.  Even though we would have absorbed most of the salary of those players with expiring contracts, their value will be higher at that time.  We have a good group of young core players, and more prospects in the system than we have ever seen.  It's not like the team is made up of a bunch of duds.  The pieces just don't fit together too well. If the season continues to go south, and I just don't see any magic turnaround, we could look to get a top-3 pick, potentially a couple of others in the first round, or some good, high second rounders.  The "long" rebuilding process you describe just might not be that long, as in years.  It may only take some patience and giving up on this season to set ourselves up for a quick turnaround. 

But, this really has nothing to do with you giving me $150 bucks for supporting "your" boycott. smile.gif

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...