The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
chucktown-caniac

Fan Boycott

[quote name='SamsonovFan wrote:

UNCCaniac8']
NO BOYCOTT !

I want hockey in Raleigh!  Every team struggles---every team has successes. It is part of having a team here.

Get real folks---ups and downs are part of LIFE in general.

They probably need our support
more
when they struggle than any other time !!!

GO CANES !!!

Well Said!!! Win or lose they are my team... I am a Buffalo Bills fan.. nuff said LOL

I'm right there with ya ,,,and here i thought i was the only one willing  to admitt  being  a Bills Fan,,Nice to see i'm not alone!!!high-5

Maybe some great ticket deals wouldn't make it so bad not to boycott the team!! I wouldn't feel so bad if i wasn't paying top dollar!! 10,000 full seat @ 1/2 price is better than 2000 @ full price!!

Food for thought...just looking at the pre-Ovechkin Caps from '01 through '04

2001 Record 36-33-11-2 but the highest ticket sales in franchise history
2002 Record 39-29-8-6 a playoff team finishing 2nd in the East
2003 Record 23-46-10-3 salary dump, bring in the new guys and rebuild...fans not particularly happy with the product on the ice after Bondra and Jagr are dealt away but they sure as heck are now.

Here's a team that struggled with mediocraty and disaster but has built a heckuva hockey team and has had good fan support the whole way through...

That being said, the idea of a boycott disgusts me and would do absolutely nothing.  The salary cap and the fact that we are already paying 2 coaches is going to make any significant change on the ice quite difficult until the trade deadline when we can dump salary, bring in the young guys and build for next year.  Be a fan, pull for your team and stop all of this nonsense. 

There will be plenty of "boycotting" as the suckage continues.  Boycotting in the form of walk up purchaces, group purchases, STH's buying additional tickets, and unused corporate seats.  If you already have a book full of tickets as a STH, a boycott probably isn't a thing you are much intersested in doing.  If you are buying individual tickets, especially at full price, a boycott is a lot easier to stomach considering most games are on television so if you are interested you can still see the game.

Even though I don't support a boycot, I don't see this thread as a waste.  I have read opinions many times that fans in a "real hockey town" wouldn't put up with what we endure without getting vocal.  I have read opinions that we shouldn't do anything to embarass the organization or add fuel to the fire that we are bandwagon fans.  You can't have it both ways.  Since I still love hockey, I won't be boycotting any games, but I will admit that I'd chuckle now if I saw a brown paper bag or two.  A couple of weeks ago, I had a different opinion on brown bagging.

Reminds me, I was in Calgary on Halloween and went to the Flames/Red Wings game. Lots of great costumes, but the one that got the biggest laugh of the night on Fanvision was a guy in a Leafs jersey with - you guessed it! - a brown paper bag over his head.

Maybe some great ticket deals wouldn't make it so bad not to boycott the team!! I wouldn't feel so bad if i wasn't paying top dollar!! 10,000 full seat @ 1/2 price is better than 2000 @ full price!!

I think this is where the marketing department needs to get busy.  Bear in mind that this is the same marketing department that keeps sending out emails to STH's addressed to Dr. John Doe.  Maybe some buy one-get one deals for some weekday games.  I like the cheaper additional tickets offered to STH's and hope that will continue at least as a peace offering to the check writers. 

How about letting STH's upgrade for a fee to better seats on game day?  That would be some additional money for unsold seats.

coastal_caniac wrote:

"AGAIN, a long-term decline in ticket sales and lost concessions will have more impact than some kind of organized "boycott" and will certainly be noticed by the organization.  As far as the slow decline and long rebuilding you suggest I'm describing, don't believe I found that anywhere in this thread.  But feel free to post that up." 

Consider it posted up: See your first (unbolded) sentence. The long-term decline in ticket sales you describe is the same thing as a slow decline, and would lead to a long rebuilding. Conversely, a one-game boycott followed by a even-stronger-than-normal show of support at the next game sends the same message, but instantly, without the negative financial effects of a long-term decline in ticket sales - while providing an incentive to change things sooner rather than later.

As for the comment several folks have made about the double bind we're in with the coaching salaries, I have to believe that if JR asked Ronnie Franchise to take over head coaching at his current salary, he'd do it. MO MUST GO.

As for the comment several folks have made about the double bind we're in with the coaching salaries, I have to believe that if JR asked Ronnie Franchise to take over head coaching at his current salary, he'd do it. MO MUST GO.

Mo's not going anywhere.  J.R. wants to be entertaining but not too good now that the season has gone down the tubes.  Mo can do that just fine.

I will handle things my way, if things continue the way they are going then I have three options all of which will hit them in the wallet (eventually).

1) Reduce my plan to a 26 game and ONLY two seats.

2) Reduce my plan to a 12 game plan and ONLY two seats.

3) Spend no money on tickets and buy Center Ice.

I will handle things my way, if things continue the way they are going then I have three options all of which will hit them in the wallet (eventually).

If we all did one of the three and reduced the full STH count to minimal then we will get PK and JR's attention.  It would really hurt if every STH'er stopped going and just bought Center Ice.

We would still be supporting our team but not PK and JR's wallets.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

caniac-97']I will handle things my way, if things continue the way they are going then I have three options all of which will hit them in the wallet (eventually).

If we all did one of the three and reduced the full STH count to minimal then we will get PK and JR's attention.  It would really hurt if every STH'er stopped going and just bought Center Ice.

We would still be supporting our team but not PK and JR's wallets.

I want to see what happens for the rest of the season, especially trade deadline deals and the draft situation.  If Mo is the sacrificial lamb the rest of the season because J.R. wants to tank now, I guess I can live with that but I'm not happy about the whole situation.

The playoff run last year resulted in a STH bump which they will lose this year.  I'm affraid that the weakening economy will also hit them as far as corporate sales go.  A business buying seats as "entertainment" for clients may not be entertained by the current performance.  This isn't Canada where hockey is a lifestyle for most.  

True fans don't boycott. True fans push on, through tick and thin, and still support their team. There are other more constructive ways to show our support. If you boycott or don't show up, then the Hurricanes will end up like the Coyotes. sad.gif

Hey I don't think anyone is happy with our performance to date.  Many good points have been brought up.  Here are my $0.02 worth.

From today's statements on the Hurricane Blog..."Canes Using Break to Heal", perhaps we are suffering from a host of nagging injuries that are affecting our play.  We'll see soon if this short break energises the team.

There is another Hurricane Blog where JR has made some interesting points about the roster and the problems of making changes with regards to contract costs, this early in a season.  However, it appeared to me that he is not going to let this group stay together if they do not come together soon.  He made reference to letting older players go, bringing up young players from within the system and waiting for a good draft pick, if he thinks we do not stand a chance of making a valid run to go deep in the playoffs.

As for top-shelf-1, I disagree with your comment about Canadians not putting up with mediocre play.  As you pointed out concerning the Halloween game you attended, there was a fan in a Toronto Sweater.  Granted he had a paper bag over his head, but you must know that Toronto is the most profitable team in the NHL in terms of gate take and memorabilia.  Granted the fans don't like it, but they continue to attend games and purchase memorabilia.  They continue to believe that The Leafs will be able to produce a good team eventually, and therefore continue to support their local team.  I commend such loyalty.

Now, as for a solution, don't ask me.  All I can say is I am as upset with the record as any Cane fan embarassed.gif, but will continue to watch them and support them in the hopes that this too will pass.

As for boycotting, it's America and citizens are free to express themselves in whatever manor they feel gets their their point across.  Do I personally think it is good to lower attendance, no.  If we continue to fall in attendance, remember it is a business and no owner is going to stay in a market that does not show support.  Unfortunately, I live in Charlotte so attending games is not a regular event for me, but STH or not, I would continue to attend.http://'>

True fans don't boycott. True fans push on, through tick and thin, and still support their team. There are other more constructive ways to show our support. If you boycott or don't show up, then the Hurricanes will end up like the Coyotes. sad.gif
Well let me put it to you in numbers, currently I pay a little over $4k a year for two full season tickets Center Ice in the 300 section, plus one seat in the handicapped upper corner, plus two in 334, plus a parking pass.  Boycotting the arena and being a true fan are two different things!  I will continue to cheer for the team (the 23 players that suit up) but if management doesn't see fit to put a competitive product on the ice then I don't feel like I should continue to pay that kind of money for a mediocre team.  That "entertainment" budget can be spent elsewhere or get reduced.  Now some of you might have that kind of money to just throw away but I work hard for mine and expect the same effort in return.

If they continue to tank and I switch to Center Ice next season then I spend $200 for that and at least can flip channels when the going gets tough.  That doesn't make me less of a fan but DOES send a clear message to JR and PK.

Now if you want to pay for all my tickets for next season then I will just take a heaping dose of shut the heck up and go to the games.

If this is a single season of suckage, I think the fan base will be somewhat inclined to give PK and JR a mulligan as long as there is some light at the end of the tunnel.  Now if this ends up being a wasted season of suckage and next year is a repeat performance, then all bets are off.  Also, since any sane person would admit that the season is over at this point, I/we need to see some moves made down the road to solidify our future (you know, the light at the end of the tunnel).

What won't be tolerated or survived is an extended rebuild.  We should have enough young core players to avoid that.  Should, I said.

If this is a single season of suckage, I think the fan base will be somewhat inclined to give PK and JR a mulligan as long as there is some light at the end of the tunnel.  Now if this ends up being a wasted season of suckage and next year is a repeat performance, then all bets are off.  Also, since any sane person would admit that the season is over at this point, I/we need to see some moves made down the road to solidify our future (you know, the light at the end of the tunnel).

What won't be tolerated or survived is an extended rebuild.  We should have enough young core players to avoid that.  Should, I said.

If this was a new coach then I would be inclined to agree with you but I have "watched this movie before" and know the plot line and how it ends.  Or as Yogi Berra would say "It is deja vu all over again!!".

I am a season ticket holder (26-game, lower bowl for 3 seasons, 26-game upper level for two seasons) and I will not boycott. Period. I may be the only person in the stands, but that's OK. This is my team, and I will support them in good times and in bad.

Can I also just say that the comments about "management doesn't see fit to put a competitive team on the ice" and "management won't do anything to change the situation" are about to drive me around the bend?

Did all those of you who feel that "management doesn't see fit to put a competitive team on the ice" also express this before the season started? Were you unhappy with the moves we made in the off season? Did you complain about the makeup of the team (or the coaching staff) then? Because if you didn't, you are being a bit disingenuous saying now that "management doesn't see fit to put a competitive team on the ice". Do I like where we are? No. But I do not think it is because "management doesn't see fit to put a competitive team on the ice". I don't know what the problem is (injuries notwithstanding) with the team this season, and I don't claim to know. It is not working for us this year. It sucks. But really, I don't think that management is deliberately trying to put a non-competitive team on the ice.

And as for "management won't do anything to change the situation" - go read JR's comments in the TTS blog today. What would you suggest he do? Go hijack a player from another team, and put him on the ice without pay? I mean, come on people. How many times has it been written here, on the Hurricanes website, in the papers, that we are up against the cap? We CAN'T bring up players from the AHL because we don't have cap space to pay them at the NHL level. Yes, JR is looking at putting some players on waivers - if he can. We also need 23 bodies whole. We don't seem to, at least not for very long stretches of time. Should we make a trade for the sake of making a trade? What good would that do us? As for the coaching - I'm not a big fan of Maurice, but I'm not sure that firing him would do much to turn the season around either.

Seriously, I am not happy about this season. It is definitely not what I expected - or anyone else for that matter. I'm not boycotting. I'm not going to blame management now when I thought the moves they made off season were the right ones. And while I certainly am not happy about the situation, I'm not going to blame management for not making moves to try to correct things when a) they are clearly trying and B) wishing doesn't make it so.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

super-dave-1']If this is a single season of suckage, I think the fan base will be somewhat inclined to give PK and JR a mulligan as long as there is some light at the end of the tunnel.  Now if this ends up being a wasted season of suckage and next year is a repeat performance, then all bets are off.  Also, since any sane person would admit that the season is over at this point, I/we need to see some moves made down the road to solidify our future (you know, the light at the end of the tunnel).

What won't be tolerated or survived is an extended rebuild.  We should have enough young core players to avoid that. 
Should
, I said.

If this was a new coach then I would be inclined to agree with you but I have "watched this movie before" and know the plot line and how it ends.  Or as Yogi Berra would say "It is deja vu all over again!!".

I understand and I hope JR remembers how this movie ends too.  If J.R. is standing with his "we don't want to do too good and not get a high draft choice" idea, he's got the right coach.

I'm not being too light on old J.R., he's joined Mo as one of the Stooges.

Did all those of you who feel that "management doesn't see fit to put a competitive team on the ice" also express this before the season started? Were you unhappy with the moves we made in the off season? Did you complain about the makeup of the team (or the coaching staff) then?  

On paper we looked good, scary good, so good a caveman could coach it!!  So we signed the caveman to a three year deal, NOT GOOD!!  When the wheels came off the bus we here "we are standing behind this coach".  I made my opinions known to all that would listen at the RBC Center but all I got was "he is the coach that got us to the ECF".  I replied "yeah and the same one that rode an injured goalie to be swept in 4".

Too many look at Maurice's "win" record but ignore the "losses".  So when you say he is the "winningest" coach in Canes history you should follow it with "lossingest" too!!

I haven't posted on this thread and as a disclaimer, I've only read about half of it. But here's my opinion.

The idea of a boycott is nuts.

One should boycott a product if that product has basically engaged in nefarious conduct or a long term pattern of contempt for the consumer. A sports franchise such as the LA Clippers comes to mind.

This team has done nothing like that and does not deserve that kind of treatment. On balance this franchise has achieved above average despite a small market that it has built from scratch. One can argue about Maurice, but I would argue that he earned his chance last year. Now if this continues all year, despite changes in players, then he should not be back next season, but this is certainly not a reason to boycott. This team has dwindled and gradually lost bona fide scoring skill since the cup year. Last year's team on paper had no business in the conference finals. That HAD to be coaching to some degree.

In hindsight JR made a mistake by thinking that tweaking last year's team would provide a good team. But most of the prognosticators had us in the top 10 teams in the league after JR's moves, and frequenting these boards most of us (including me) thought so too. That is not a sign of management not trying to give us a winner, quite the contrary.

Now personally I never thought Eric Cole was the answer, thought that JR botched the Babchuk thing, think that the team has stayed with a sub-sub-sub par Brind'Amour for waaahhhhheeyyyaaay too long, and felt the need for a first line winger was paramount. But even if I'm right (and of course I am), they are no where near reasons to boycott. Most fans and the experts thought before the season began that JR had done what was needed to win.

Further, boycotting is unnecessary. Attendance has, and will continue to drop as long as the team keeps losing. Attendance being too high to send a message is not going to be the problem. Low attendance will take care of itself.

Boycotting this particular product is just shooting ourselves anyway. In the end we will get less money for free agency and the ultimate outcome could result in losing the franchise: Utterly counterproductive. While it may seem bad now, years of futility or a lost franchise is far worse. It all depends on your prospective. As Confusius once say:

"Crowded elevator smell very different to midget."

I haven't posted on this thread and as a disclaimer, I've only read about half of it. But here's my opinion.

The idea of a boycott is nuts.

One should boycott a product if that product has basically engaged in nefarious conduct or a long term pattern of contempt for the consumer. A sports franchise such as the LA Clippers comes to mind.

This team has done nothing like that and does not deserve that kind of treatment. On balance this franchise has achieved above average despite a small market that it has built from scratch. One can argue about Maurice, but I would argue that he earned his chance last year. Now if this continues all year, despite changes in players, then he should not be back next season, but this is certainly not a reason to boycott. This team has dwindled and gradually lost bona fide scoring skill since the cup year. Last year's team on paper had no business in the conference finals. That HAD to be coaching to some degree.

In hindsight JR made a mistake by thinking that tweaking last year's team would provide a good team. But most of the prognosticators had us in the top 10 teams in the league after JR's moves, and frequenting these boards most of us (including me) thought so too. That is not a sign of management not trying to give us a winner, quite the contrary.

Now personally I never thought Eric Cole was the answer, thought that JR botched the Babchuk thing, think that the team has stayed with a sub-sub-sub par Brind'Amour for waaahhhhheeyyyaaay too long, and felt the need for a first line winger was paramount. But even if I'm right (and of course I am), they are no where near reasons to boycott. Most fans and the experts thought before the season began that JR had done what was needed to win.

Further, boycotting is unnecessary. Attendance has, and will continue to drop as long as the team keeps losing. Attendance being too high to send a message is not going to be the problem. Low attendance will take care of itself.

Boycotting this particular product is just shooting ourselves anyway. In the end we will get less money for free agency and the ultimate outcome could result in losing the franchise: Utterly counterproductive. While it may seem bad now, years of futility or a lost franchise is far worse. It all depends on your prospective. As Confusius once say:

"Crowded elevator smell very different to midget."

Very well stated. 

I agree too remkin. I say we go from being loudest arena to loudest arena that isn't full. We Have reputation to uphold around the league. Team is going to be fine over long haul. JR i believe has proven he will keep us competitive. Maurice may not prove to be the answer but he has proven he can win even when no one was expecting us to. I personally am going to enjoy this season if for no other reason than the improved quality of play all around the league.

I have been a full season ticket holder (section 118) for the past 9yrs.  Haven't been to a game yet.  Nothing to watch and cheeer.
Hey if you're interested...I need some tickets to some games in DEC,JAN and FEB...Where are these seats...how many...and would you like to sell themwink.gif

...Email me

I am a season ticket holder (26-game, lower bowl for 3 seasons, 26-game upper level for two seasons) and I will not boycott. Period. I may be the only person in the stands, but that's OK. This is my team, and I will support them in good times and in bad.

Can I also just say that the comments about "management doesn't see fit to put a competitive team on the ice" and "management won't do anything to change the situation" are about to drive me around the bend?

Did all those of you who feel that "management doesn't see fit to put a competitive team on the ice" also express this before the season started? Were you unhappy with the moves we made in the off season? Did you complain about the makeup of the team (or the coaching staff) then? Because if you didn't, you are being a bit disingenuous saying now that "management doesn't see fit to put a competitive team on the ice". Do I like where we are? No. But I do not think it is because "management doesn't see fit to put a competitive team on the ice". I don't know what the problem is (injuries notwithstanding) with the team this season, and I don't claim to know. It is not working for us this year. It sucks. But really, I don't think that management is deliberately trying to put a non-competitive team on the ice.

And as for "management won't do anything to change the situation" - go read JR's comments in the TTS blog today. What would you suggest he do? Go hijack a player from another team, and put him on the ice without pay? I mean, come on people. How many times has it been written here, on the Hurricanes website, in the papers, that we are up against the cap? We CAN'T bring up players from the AHL because we don't have cap space to pay them at the NHL level. Yes, JR is looking at putting some players on waivers - if he can. We also need 23 bodies whole. We don't seem to, at least not for very long stretches of time. Should we make a trade for the sake of making a trade? What good would that do us? As for the coaching - I'm not a big fan of Maurice, but I'm not sure that firing him would do much to turn the season around either.

Seriously, I am not happy about this season. It is definitely not what I expected - or anyone else for that matter. I'm not boycotting. I'm not going to blame management now when I thought the moves they made off season were the right ones. And while I certainly am not happy about the situation, I'm not going to blame management for not making moves to try to correct things when a) they are clearly trying and B) wishing doesn't make it so.

this was excellent  - remember -

this too shall pass -

Caniac forever!roll.gif