The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Oh boy, this should start some interesting discussions.... from the N&O

To me this serves two purposes:

1) To slow down the whirlwind of trade speculations in the media and throughout the league surrounding this team right now and give off a calmer less desperate message to potential trade partners.  Having all these circulating rumors will only make things worse for everyone involved so JR is putting out a little damage control.  If you're a baseball fan, you may remember the rumors surrounding Roy Halliday before the MLB trade deadline were so intense that a guy who is considered to be one of the best pitchers in baseball ended up in a total collapse for the remainder of the season.  Halliday was quoted as saying that at one point, he locked himself in a hotel room with no TV or newspapers to just get away from the pressure.

2) As a statement to us fans to let us know they are well aware that something needs to be done but they're preparing us not to expect a knee jerk reaction that will end up doing more harm than good in the long run.  It sounds to me like JR has heard the outcries from the loyal fan base and he's asking them for some patience and in return, he promises that something will change one way or another.

The dumbest thing he could do right now would be to trade a big name player or even fire the coach without being at least 95% sure it will have a positive effect for the team.  Its clear that no one knows exactly what is wrong or how to fix it so I'm glad to read that JR is determined to take the time to figure it out before making any moves.  Sadly enough, time is something we have plenty of right now.

The only curious part I read is the "standing firmly behind Maurice", only because past history shows us that could have no bearing whatsoever on what could happen in the coming days/weeks, and for the simple fact that never once have I heard Maurice shoulder any of the blame himself like JR has done.  My eyes are set on the December 19th trade freeze deadline.wink.gif

The only curious part I read is the "standing firmly behind Maurice",

Its difficult to give someone a good swift kick in the pants unless your standing firmly behind him.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

topshelfavry']

Its difficult to give someone a good swift kick in the pants unless your standing firmly behind him.

From one parent to another?

[quote name='topshelfavry wrote:

OBXer wrote:

topshelfavry']

How did you guess?

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

topshelfavry wrote:

OBXer']Its difficult to give someone a good swift kick in the pants unless your standing firmly behind him.

How did you guess?

Count me in too wink.gif

The dumbest thing he could do right now would be to trade a big name player or even fire the coach without being at least 95% sure it will have a positive effect for the team. 

I'm 95% sure it won't have a negative effect on the team.  Is that close enough?

Look, my wife (who isn't the biggest hockey expert in the world) told me today that somebody needed to do something about the coaches.  She said the players were all trying but weren't playing together like a team.  This is the woman that will ask me "who is #13" or 'where is the goalie going'.  I don't talk a lot of hockey with her because she is a fan, but not like us.  She will make stupid statements like "Calm down Dave, it's just a game".  It's amazing that she's got this coaching thing pegged.

"We'll get everybody together and see what everybody thinks, if wefeel good enough about our ability to get back in it, or if we need totransition some players, or whatever needs to be done."

It appears JR is still holding out some hope we can still make a come back. I think we might be in denial. I hope the meetings are honest discussions and not just based on hopes and wishes. If they come out of the meetings thinking we still have a chance..well...so be it. But as small or large as the changes are going to be it is apparent something is going to change soon.

Seems like convincing the coach to change away from the "playing not to lose" system would be easier than firing him !

But when they meet with the players next week, a little reverse psychology might be in order-------For example:

1) We know that each of you have a performance standard you set for yourself--and you play for personal pride.

That is a given.

2) We recognize the playoffs are out of the picture right now.  (but the Olympics still are out there for some and some

are playing for new contracts)

-SO-

---Relish and embrace where we find ourselves. We are the underdogs. Think of how many teams will underestimate

us and see us as an easy 2 points. Think of how much fun we can have playing the spoilers. (especially against teams

we don't like)

---We have a great fanbase who will support us, win or lose, as long as we "bring it", and play hard for them for 60 min.

---So go out there and play this game of hockey that you all love---for the sheer fun of it !

(This approach might improve the product on the ice. At this point everyone seems to be agonizing and overthinking this in

search of answers...it is a real pressure cooker...no wonder the "heart" is gone.)

Well, well, well...

You know how I feel about Mo - will not beat that dead horse.

WHY NOW?!?!?! Why not 12 games ago???

They should have circled the wagons then and asked everyone - down to the Storm Squad - what is bothering you? What is not working? Why is it not working? Who is not pulling their weight? etc. etc.

I was hoping that was why PK was here a couple of weeks ago....guess not.

And if the answers to all of those questions point to Mo - what then???

We can't fire Mo and then pay another coach (3 head coaches). We could replace him with someone currently on payroll I suppose. I expect a trade no one is seeing. We can't keep the current salaries while riding the bottom of the league and expect fannies in the seats to carry it through.

So it's acceptable...well that does it.

Why not at least get Mo to shake up the coaching...instill something else in the players. They play well for 40 minutes, let's focus on finishing the final 20 well.

Well, well, well...

You know how I feel about Mo - will not beat that dead horse.

WHY NOW?!?!?! Why not 12 games ago???

They should have circled the wagons then and asked everyone - down to the Storm Squad - what is bothering you? What is not working? Why is it not working? Who is not pulling their weight? etc. etc.

I was hoping that was why PK was here a couple of weeks ago....guess not.

And if the answers to all of those questions point to Mo - what then???

Thank you for that smile.gif

What makes you so sure that all these questions haven't been asked 12 games ago?  There's been a ton of closed door meetings that have been reported going on since half way through the 14 game losing winless streak.  JR is pretty savvy about how and when he uses the media and the fact that he released so many tidbits in this article at this time should point to a lot of things.  He's just buying more time, for whatever reason.

Oh, and if I'm Chad LaRose or anyone else specifically mentioned in that article, my ears would perk up.

Go to the scrap heap like we did last season (Mo getting paid by Leafs). Isn't Nolan still being paid by Islanders?
Some route like that is possible.  I think we are going to see some players on waivers soon (next week) if we don't win Monday (depending on the contract structures).

JR is in a spot. In a few games he will have little choice but to fire Mo. This mess will not be fixed with one trade. The possible exception would be to trade Brind'Amour. I hate for this to be true, but it is. On the other hand, who would take him, and would JR really lay this on him? No one and No.

This team is dead last in goals for, but also dead last in goals against, and dead last in power play. This is an awful lot of dead lasts.

The odd thing is that we don't look that bad. Yes we look bad, but that is incredibly bad. It is just staggering how quickly we can give up goals. I get the lack of offense. I don't get the lack of defense.

If JR just lets it continue, pretty soon the guys will start looking that bad 40 minutes a game and that will lead to an utterly vacant RBC center sooner than later. I think this team gives up for 5-10 minute stretches and in the NHL that can be deadly to winning. But giving up for 30-40 minute stretches or worse will lead to a beaten fan base and an empty RBC. And that is coming if something doesn't happen.

If we assume that getting a good trade deal now is next to impossible, JR has really two choices:

1. Let it ride. You guys got into this mess, play your way out of it. Don't look at me, look at yourselves.

2. Fire the coach. Sorry Mo, it may not be your fault but we really have no choice here.

I would be fine with #1 except for the scenario where the team pretty much mails it in all game. I don't know if I can watch that night after night. I want the first pick and all, but how much can a person take?

We have 6 games in a row where we are going to be serious underdogs. Unless we pull a few upsets, look for the apple cart to get upset. We really have no choice.

No new coach, well that's a real surprise.  Hard to make trades and deals right now cause we're up against the cap.  Well, duh.  A big pow wow next week after we "get through" tommorrow's game to see what we do next.  He's stalling.

No new coach, well that's a real surprise.  Hard to make trades and deals right now cause we're up against the cap.  Well, duh.  A big pow wow next week after we "get through" tommorrow's game to see what we do next.  He's stalling.

Up against the cap or not I think JR has a couple of trades in the works. I agree buying time and telling everyone (coaches) to get on the same page. His page.

You know the classic movie scene where a panicked crowd is storming out of a building and there's one guys standing by the door with his arms in the air saying "Everything will be okay.  Calm down".

That guy is J.R.

When he fired Lavi, I wondered if he thought someone would hire Lavi quickly?  Doesn't the new team take on Lavi's contract if hired?

The interesting thing about this little quagmire the Canes find themselves in is that as we approach the the summer months will their be any interest in playing here by free agents?  Money talks but we never have been a player for big name free agents.  We most likely will lose some of the vets that were character references for the organization either in the middle of this year or at the end.  Based on current events the coaching is suspect to outsiders who would look at us.   This situation is really starting to put a lot of pressure on the guys in Albany. 

I agree with the comments on JR stalling and using the media to his advantage in this situation but will it be enough in the end?  I hope it will be and I hope our scouting department has got their "A" game going right now.

When he fired Lavi, I wondered if he thought someone would hire Lavi quickly?  Doesn't the new team take on Lavi's contract if hired?

I think everyone thought an NHL experienced coach that had  Cup on his resume and came 1 vote short of the Jack Adams award would definitely be hired quickly.  For some reason, I don't think people are having those same thoughts about Maurice.