The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Oh boy, this should start some interesting discussions.... from the N&O

I think this is a bunch of BS as a fan if nothing comes out of this by week's end. The team needs to make decisions, communicate the intended outcome(s) and rally all resources behind the decision(s).

Last year the Canes trumpeted the coaching changes, and the role of Ron Francis. I'm sorry but in my mind the statute of limitations is over on making that personal decision. If he wants to coach, then I'd hope by week's end he is either head coach, or on his way to Albany working with the future. If not, get out from behind the bench and go upstairs or on the road scouting for the future and get Mo some help.

If JR's hands are tied by the cap, then the fixes are in the room. That includes evaluating and possibly changing defensive pairings, strategy on the PP/PK, player TOI decisions, letters on sweaters - EVERYTHING! The one thing I wouldn't touch is Barrasso's work with the goalies.

The only thing that is NOT acceptable from this franchise is doing nothing!!!

I agree with this - mostly.  I may get pummeled for being blasphemous, but since we are questioning everything, I am questioning Francis too.  Our PP is horrible - again - this year.  Our PP was horrible for the most part last year.  Isn't Francis in charge of our PP?  I realize the PP is just one aspect, and personally I would fault our defense more than the PP for our massive woes.  But ... if we are questioning coaching, then we have to question ALL of the coaching, IMO.  Although I do agree, Barasso's work with the goalies is above reproach.

We have to face the hard truth that no one knows what the answers are.  And just as we have too many problems - well, actually, just 2: the offense and the defense - there is no way doing one thing is going to fix all the problems.  Ain't no magic wand to wave and make everything good and get us to the playoffs this year.

I agree - doing nothing is not an option.  But let's not kid ourselves that doing one thing - even one big thing - is going to fix our season.

At this point as much as it hurts, doing nothing, at this point in time, is the best thing for the future of our franchise. I don't see how anyone can consider this season salvageable, so it's time to look for next year. Becoming sellers and selling our veterans (Whitney, Cullen, Corvo) to contenders for draft picks is the best thing right now. But no team will be willing to part with their 1st and 2nd rounders this early, so to get the best value for our assets, we must wait until the trade deadline where teams will pay top price. Last year we gave up a promising young player (not trying to start this debate again) and a 2nd rounder for Erik Cole. That should show you what Whitney, Cullen and Corvo could fetch from teams who are missing that extra piece to seriously contend. Whitney could get a 1st rounder, and the way he's playing right now Cullen might be able to as well. Corvo should be a solid 2nd rounder, which would leave us with 5 picks in the first two rounds next year with one of them being a lottery pick. That would be a great way to restock the prospect pool and would drastically help us for years to come. Then there's always the possibility of resigning any of the 3 this offseason. And on the Maurice front, this team needs to save as much as possible, no way we're paying 3 coaches to coach a team going no where. The worst thing we could see in the next week is Rutherford trying to make a trade, giving up the future, to "save" this year. Even if it made us a better team, how heartbreaking would it be to finish a couple spots out of the playoffs? We didn't gain anything, and lost a potential lottery pick. We have to make the most of this situation, and if we have a chance to draft another franchise player we should take it.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

legend-1 wrote:

super-dave-1']

I'm still a little surprized that somebody somewhere hasn't picked up Lavi.  Of course Lavi may be content to draw his check from PK until the end since he was spoken of so well after his departure.  I don't think PK and JR ever got over Lavi not showing up for the end of year meeting after the Florida loss on the last game of the year.

My only guess is the nature of Lavi's game is so wreckless no GM want's to buy into a all offensive style they want some responsibility on the backend and that's not Lavi's idea. However, I would rather be a .500 team on the cusp of the playoffs each year which is what we were then flat out NOT even close. 

I would rather play hard and just miss than to never even being in the game.

On a game-by-game level, I agree.  I can accept a loss if they play hard.  But from a whole-season viewpoint, just missing stinks royally.  If we will never have the budget to sign monster free agents in the primes of their careers, we need to draft them in young and suck them in to our cushy NC lifestyle before they become FAs themselves.  Then maybe we get the hometown, no driveway-shoveling, great golf discount.  If we are going to miss the playoffs, occasionally I want us to miss HUGE! 

[quote name='redheadcaniac wrote:

caniac-97 wrote:

legend-1']My only guess is the nature of Lavi's game is so wreckless no GM want's to buy into a all offensive style they want some responsibility on the backend and that's not Lavi's idea. However, I would rather be a .500 team on the cusp of the playoffs each year which is what we were then flat out NOT even close. 

I would rather play hard and just miss than to never even being in the game.

On a game-by-game level, I agree.  I can accept a loss if they play hard.  But from a whole-season viewpoint, just missing stinks royally.  If we will never have the budget to sign monster free agents in the primes of their careers, we need to draft them in young and suck them in to our cushy NC lifestyle before they become FAs themselves.  Then maybe we get the hometown, no driveway-shoveling, great golf discount.  If we are going to miss the playoffs, occasionally I want us to miss HUGE! 

And this is why you're a post of the week winner. smile.gif

I think this is a bunch of BS as a fan if nothing comes out of this by week's end. The team needs to make decisions, communicate the intended outcome(s) and rally all resources behind the decision(s).

Last year the Canes trumpeted the coaching changes, and the role of Ron Francis. I'm sorry but in my mind the statute of limitations is over on making that personal decision. If he wants to coach, then I'd hope by week's end he is either head coach, or on his way to Albany working with the future. If not, get out from behind the bench and go upstairs or on the road scouting for the future and get Mo some help.

If JR's hands are tied by the cap, then the fixes are in the room. That includes evaluating and possibly changing defensive pairings, strategy on the PP/PK, player TOI decisions, letters on sweaters - EVERYTHING! The one thing I wouldn't touch is Barrasso's work with the goalies.

The only thing that is NOT acceptable from this franchise is doing nothing!!!

Not often that I quote myself smile.gif

Well, the week or 4 days are up and the unacceptable has occurred.  This is a failure of management to make transitional changes in their control that I believe is a lost opportunity.  Each day that goes by without transitioning to where the team is going is a lost day.

I'm ASTOUNDED that nothing was done.  The trade with Toronto doesn't even make the radar.

Well, the week or 4 days are up and the unacceptable has occurred.  This is a failure of management to make transitional changes in their control that I believe is a lost opportunity.  Each day that goes by without transitioning to where the team is going is a lost day.

I'm ASTOUNDED that nothing was done.  The trade with Toronto doesn't even make the radar.

And so---how do you know some fixes (internally) haven't been worked on?  So you gave them four days as a deadline, and you percieve

they have done nothing. "Transitioning" a team is not done by snapping your fingers---and if we are transitioning we actually have some time.

To me, quick "knee jerk" actions could harm the team more than help in the long run. (Such as trading away a key piece-just to show the fans you are doing something, or to make a point with teammates.)  Luckily for us, JR is not a fool, no matter whether we gave him a "four day deadline"

in our expectations.   We need to get real.      tired.gif

[quote name='UNCCaniac8 wrote:

Manwolf']

And so---how do you know some fixes (internally) haven't been worked on?  So you gave them four days as a deadline, and you percieve

they have done nothing. "Transitioning" a team is not done by snapping your fingers---and if we are transitioning we actually have some time.

To me, quick "knee jerk" actions could harm the team more than help in the long run. (Such as trading away a key piece-just to show the fans you are doing something, or to make a point with teammates.)  Luckily for us, JR is not a fool, no matter whether we gave him a "four day deadline"

in our expectations.   We need to get real.      tired.gifExactly.  Yes, everyone wants a trade or some move, but how will that help us?  If we make a move to get better right now, we would have to go on a ridiculous run to have any chance of "salvaging" the season and making the playoffs.  By doing this, part of the future will have to be traded off, and we run a high risk for failing to make the playoffs and putting ourself out of position for a lottery pick, which would be the absolute worst outcome from this situation.  Best thing to do is stockpile picks and prospects for expiring contracts, get rid of deadweight, and save as much money as possible.  JR will  have to be smart with the way he manages his assets, and get the highest return possible.  Teams aren't willing to take on contracts right now or tear apart their team only 1/3rd of the way through the year.  The best time will be close to the deadline, where teams will know if they can make a push for the cup and will be looking for that extra piece, ie. cullen, whitney.  we wouldn't get nearly as much in the next month or so, so there's no reason to make any trade like that now.  The only thing that would make sense at this time would be to waive veteran players that aren't contributing and couldn't get any return for a possible trade later on.  But now with all of these injuries we are going through, that's not going  to be possible. Everyone needs to get out of the mindset that we need to make a move for the sake of making a move.  I'm glad JR is waiting it out and I'm encouraged by his recent interviews that point towards him making the right decisions in the future. 

in our expectations.   We need to get real.      tired.gif

Uh, I know because nothing has been announced by a franchise that communicates well and treats fans fairly.  As for deadlines, it was JR who said the team was going to look things over in this short period.  He simply should have said "starting with" the 4 day period.  False deadlines lead to diminished credibility (something he and Obama should pay more attention to). 

To be clear, my post is not suggesting trading away value for something less.  That view is expressed by me in the Mo vs Brind'Amour thread.  What I am suggesting is change to the "no cost" things under the team's control.  The team is not successful at present and that usally puts focus on coaching (see Flyers and Stevens).  We have a unique situation of a "coach in waiting" where the period is now approaching 1 year.  In any business that is an eternity, and is absurd.  Make up your mind!  Changing the PP, PK etc. doesn't cost anything either.  A fool would see the PP is a failure.

Yep, JR is no fool, and I've stated my trust in him many, many times on this board.  However, a manager and leader needs to "get real" and that is something I know plenty about!

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

topshelfavry']
The only curious part I read is the "standing firmly behind Maurice",

Its difficult to give someone a good swift kick in the pants unless your standing firmly behind him.

You are spot on with that one mate! laugh.gif  Now with Lavi off our backs I would not turn around either Mo. Oucheek.gif

In my opinion, the Paradis for Tlusty trade shows that JR is looking to the future, which is all he can reasonably do right now. You can't dance if you don't have a partner. He also knows enough not to make a bad situation worse by making a panic move.

I for one am glad that JR isn't panicking. Make some nice little moves like the Tlusty pickup, shuffle the deck a bit, maybe sent a veteran to the press box, let a few more losses pile up. Don't make a desperation move. It's not like were making the playoffs. Take your time. Get it right. Set things up for the big move later. But win the occasional home game that I'm at please (like tonight). If a great big move presents itself, fine, but if not, bide your time and wait for the right move. And keep the losses coming for a while more. It takes serious concentrated badness to get that top pick, you can't let up.