The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

AO suspended two games....no kidding

From the Caps beat writer at the Washington Post (essentially he's their version of Chip Alexander):

Ovechkin: 'No comment'

I caught up to Alex Ovechkin before he boarded the team bus following tonight's 3-2 win in Raleigh, but the star winger would only say "no comment" when I inquired about his knee and the first period hit that resulted in his ejection.

I did, however, get to observe him walking. He had a slight limp, but he did not appear to be wearing a brace and was not using crutches.

Coach Bruce Boudreau said he's more concerned about a potential injury than the possibility of action from the NHL.

"Anytime Alex is hurt, I'm concerned," he said. "He's stiff right now. But I don't know how long he's going to be out, if he's out at all. With these things, the next morning you find out a lot more."

As for the hit, Boudreau said: "It looked like he learned with his shoulder to me. [Tim] Gleason put a good move to the inside and his leg followed through with him."

Carolina Coach Paul Maurice called the hit "dangerous".

"Gleason made a good move and he caught him with his knee," Maurice told reporters. "I don't know how you want to define the play, but it's dangerous for both players."

Ovechkin told me that he was under strict orders not to discuss the injury or the hit.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/ovechkin-no-comment.html

I really have to say two things:

1) The more I read about this hit from all sides, the more infuriated I get.  I cant believe the stuff Im reading coming out the Caps organization from the coach down to the players.  Since Boudreau (who I will now refer to as Elmer Fudd) has taken over, sure the Caps have been wildly successful but they're never without controversy, and it makes me really wonder what kind of culture he's created in that locker room.  I wonder why exactly a player like OV with his elite skill set feels like he has to so play reckless and dangerous that he's willing to risk his own health, and anyone that watched the Caps in the playoffs saw a complete and utter collapse that made absolutely no sense.  Is Elmer Fudd building a culture of arrogant and self absorbed players that think they're above the rest of the league.  I kind feel bad for some of their talented young players and I'm beginning to feel bad for their fans. That said....

2) I have to give kudos to the Caps fans.  I know its still early and the verdict from Colin Campbell hasn't been decided yet (or has it?) but not one Caps fan came here to troll and defend OV for this hit.  From all I've read, they're embarrassed and disgusted with his consistently reckless play and like us, don't understand why it needs to be this way.  Which again brings me back to question of what kind of culture did Elmer Fudd create and is that what he think it takes to win it all?  So far it hasn't won them anything but a lot of disrespect from around the league and now from their own fan base that took them a long time to build back up after many years of having really bad teams in Washington.

I cant believe that Boudreau is actually turning the blame on Gleason angry.gif

lt_0147.jpg  3393020098_c4eca51ff2.jpg  fuckingfury.jpg  graphics_elmer-fudd_03.jpg

I did a little bit searching for this but AO isn't such a little angel. I think CC is going to put it to him in a big way. I am going to list AO's "sins" as written in an article by Scott Burnside.

1. Just last week, Ovie was given a Boarding Major and Game Misconduct which caused a Sabres player to receive a concussion. Sound a little familar people. No suspension or fine.

2. During the playoffs against the Penguins, he had a knee on knee hit with "friend" Gonchar. Gonchar was lost for several games due to that hit.

3. Earlier this season, Ovie got a $2,500 fine for "slewfooting" a Lightning player.

and Lastly. Ovie boarded a former teammate headfirst, which caused the player to receive a concussion. The player had to be removed from the ice on a stretcher.

Except for one of these hits, Ovie wasn't fine or suspended. It seems these are dangerous hits causing injuries to other players. Yet, Rutuu, Kalata and Laraque have all receive fine and/or suspension for similar infractions.

IMO, Ovie needs to be treated like any other player, star or not, pay a big time fine and sit in the press box for a certain period of time. He is no better than the 3 guys I mentioned. CC, if I recalled on Sportcenter, warned Ovie of his overaggressive play. It seems Ovie didn't heed the warning.

Sorry for the long post but I thought I would post part of this article, my way of course.

http://sports.espn.go.com...ide_scott&id=4702269

if CC does choose to not suspend him, then isn't he essentially over-riding the decision of the on-ice officials to assess OV a game misconduct....which establishes a pattern of dangerous play?   

Yes, he does look like Elmer Fudd.  He's taking the blame out on Timmy cause he's been trying to get that  rabbit for umpteen years, and Ovenchicken is his Daffy Duck!  The two of them together can't get that rabbit, so Timmy was a close second.    roll.gif

I really hope that they suspend him, they can't ignore it now.  The double standard needs to go away with him.  He's a goon, simply put.  If they don't suspend, then that leaves him open to lay a devastating hit on someone ending their career one of two ways, and I don't want to think of the other way.  I really hope it doesn't go that level.  As of right now Ovenchicken feels immune from any discipline from the league, and that isn't right.

I really have to say two things:

1) The more I read about this hit from all sides, the more infuriated I get.  I cant believe the stuff Im reading coming out the Caps organization from the coach down to the players.  Since Boudreau (who I will now refer to as Elmer Fudd) has taken over, sure the Caps have been wildly successful but they're never without controversy, and it makes me really wonder what kind of culture he's created in that locker room.  I wonder why exactly a player like OV with his elite skill set feels like he has to so play reckless and dangerous that he's willing to risk his own health, and anyone that watched the Caps in the playoffs saw a complete and utter collapse that made absolutely no sense.  Is Elmer Fudd building a culture of arrogant and self absorbed players that think they're above the rest of the league.  I kind feel bad for some of their talented young players and I'm beginning to feel bad for their fans. That said....

2) I have to give kudos to the Caps fans.  I know its still early and the verdict from Colin Campbell hasn't been decided yet (or has it?) but not one Caps fan came here to troll and defend OV for this hit.  From all I've read, they're embarrassed and disgusted with his consistently reckless play and like us, don't understand why it needs to be this way.  Which again brings me back to question of what kind of culture did Elmer Fudd create and is that what he think it takes to win it all?  So far it hasn't won them anything but a lot of disrespect from around the league and now from their own fan base that took them a long time to build back up after many years of having really bad teams in Washington.

I cant believe that Boudreau is actually turning the blame on Gleason angry.gif

I was at the game, and when they showed the replay on the Jumbotron, I was absolutely disgusted.  I'm not convinced that OV didn't exaggerate his injury in hopes of getting some sort of dispensation.  First of all, he skated off 3-4 steps before he "collapsed" on the ice holding his knee.  Poor poor OV.  He clearly stuck his knee out - with an intent to injure - when Timmy made a good cut to get around him. 

Here is what totally infuriates me:  he is absolutely a highly skilled player. Maybe (arguably) the most skilled player in the league at the moment.  Why does he feel the need to play dirty?  Because let's not kid ourselves - if this was any other player in the league, maybe with the possible exception of the Golden Boy (Crosby) - everyone would agree he is a dirty player.  Not "borderline" dirty. DIRTY.  He leaves his feet on almost every hit.  He boards players at will.  He has multiple infractions of knee-on-knee hits.  He has TWO game misconducts in a week!!!!  He is a dirty player.  He is exciting, skilled, extremely talented.  And dirty.

If the league does not take significant action against him - at least a 5 game suspension when he returns from his injury (if in fact he misses any time) then I have to hope that one of these days he injures himself so badly that he puts himself out of the league.  Sorry, I know that is harsh, but the league has the opportunity to put a stop to this habitual bad behavior.  If they don't, then for the sake of the other players in the NHL, Ovenchicken needs to learn in some other way.

And, BTW - while I will applaud that no Caps fan came here to troll and/or defend OV, I would suggest you not read their Facebook fan site if you want your blood pressure to stay in check.

I was at the game, and when they showed the replay on the Jumbotron, I was absolutely disgusted.  I'm not convinced that OV didn't exaggerate his injury in hopes of getting some sort of dispensation.  First of all, he skated off 3-4 steps before he "collapsed" on the ice holding his knee.  Poor poor OV.  He clearly stuck his knee out - with an intent to injure - when Timmy made a good cut to get around him. 

Here is what totally infuriates me:  he is absolutely a highly skilled player. Maybe (arguably) the most skilled player in the league at the moment.  Why does he feel the need to play dirty?  Because let's not kid ourselves - if this was any other player in the league, maybe with the possible exception of the Golden Boy (Crosby) - everyone would agree he is a dirty player.  Not "borderline" dirty. DIRTY.  He leaves his feet on almost every hit.  He boards players at will.  He has multiple infractions of knee-on-knee hits.  He has TWO game misconducts in a week!!!!  He is a dirty player.  He is exciting, skilled, extremely talented.  And dirty.

If the league does not take significant action against him - at least a 5 game suspension when he returns from his injury (if in fact he misses any time) then I have to hope that one of these days he injures himself so badly that he puts himself out of the league.  Sorry, I know that is harsh, but the league has the opportunity to put a stop to this habitual bad behavior.  If they don't, then for the sake of the other players in the NHL, Ovenchicken needs to learn in some other way.

And, BTW - while I will applaud that no Caps fan came here to troll and/or defend OV, I would suggest you not read their Facebook fan site if you want your blood pressure to stay in check.

True that.  Though, to be fair there are some raging idiots on our own Facebook fan pages.  I've had to quit reading comments there for all the stupid things people say.  I think, for the most part, one can argue that the true hockey fans will come to sites like this for their interactions and discussions while the ones who don't know much about the game (nor care to learn) carry out their campaigns of idiocy on the Facebook fan pages.

As a parent, I've learned to avoid anything about facebook unless its just to keep tabs on what my own kids are doing and who they're talking to.  Ive only read the Caps board and compared notes with admin from around the league.  We'll have to see what Colin Campbell does with this one before I we're in the clear from potential trolls.

I did a little bit searching for this but AO isn't such a little angel. I think CC is going to put it to him in a big way. I am going to list AO's "sins" as written in an article by Scott Burnside.

1. Just last week, Ovie was given a Boarding Major and Game Misconduct which caused a Sabres player to receive a concussion. Sound a little familar people. No suspension or fine.

2. During the playoffs against the Penguins, he had a knee on knee hit with "friend" Gonchar. Gonchar was lost for several games due to that hit.

3. Earlier this season, Ovie got a $2,500 fine for "slewfooting" a Lightning player.

and Lastly. Ovie boarded a former teammate headfirst, which caused the player to receive a concussion. The player had to be removed from the ice on a stretcher.

Except for one of these hits, Ovie wasn't fine or suspended. It seems these are dangerous hits causing injuries to other players. Yet, Rutuu, Kalata and Laraque have all receive fine and/or suspension for similar infractions.

IMO, Ovie needs to be treated like any other player, star or not, pay a big time fine and sit in the press box for a certain period of time. He is no better than the 3 guys I mentioned. CC, if I recalled on Sportcenter, warned Ovie of his overaggressive play. It seems Ovie didn't heed the warning.

Sorry for the long post but I thought I would post part of this article, my way of course.

http://sports.espn.go.com...ide_scott&id=4702269

When you see the incidents all piled up like this, it really does confirm what a goon he is.  Disgusting.  As skilled as he may be, he's a disgrace to this game.  

I made a little visit to the Caps discussion board and no I didn't leave any message. Just wanted to see what they were say. It was as if the Mighty Ovie should get a pass from CC since the knee injury should be punishment enough. They figure he will be out for a bit, that will be his punishment.

Did these idiots watch the same hit that we all saw? Granted, we defend our guys with the same fight as they are defending Ovie but Ovie is showing a big time history of illegal hits.

CC needs to either hit Ovie in the pocket with a huge fine and suspension or CC's integrity is going to be called into question since he has suspended 3 guys for the same type of infractions.

If CC can't do the job, he needs to resign ASAP. I would say something else but I will be nice.

[quote name='CarolinaGirl77 wrote:

ttiger2004']I did a little bit searching for this but AO isn't such a little angel. I think CC is going to put it to him in a big way. I am going to list AO's "sins" as written in an article by Scott Burnside.

When you see the incidents all piled up like this, it really does confirm what a goon he is.  Disgusting.  As skilled as he may be, he's a disgrace to this game.  

I grew up watching hockey, when goalies didn't have the masks they have now and players didn't wear helmets.  I for one know that Ovie is a goon.  In order for the league to win back the fans, they went to this fast style but they had to protect their "stars", sorry but their "stars" are

becoming the "dirtiest" players in the league led by Ovie.  Time for the league to stand up and punish these "stars" starting with Ovie.  Don't even get me started with Keith Ballard, which don't even belong in this thread. 

How many more incidents is it going to take and injuries on other players before CC is going to fine and suspend Ovie for a period of time?  Does the injury to the opposing player have to a season ending injury or career ending before CC decides he needs to do something?  Do something now before it is to late.

Hopping off my soap box.  I for one, was glad to see Timmy G. return to the ice and Ovie not to return.

I made a little visit to the Caps discussion board and no I didn't leave any message. Just wanted to see what they were say. It was as if the Mighty Ovie should get a pass from CC since the knee injury should be punishment enough. They figure he will be out for a bit, that will be his punishment.

Wonder what they'll be saying when the injury turns out just to be a bruised knee?  Come on Colin, do the right thing here.  I'm betting Gleason's knee is worse than OV's.

I grew up watching hockey, when goalies didn't have the masks they have now and players didn't wear helmets.  I for one know that Ovie is a goon.  In order for the league to win back the fans, they went to this fast style but they had to protect their "stars", sorry but their "stars" are

becoming the "dirtiest" players in the league led by Ovie.  Time for the league to stand up and punish these "stars" starting with Ovie.  Don't even get me started with Keith Ballard, which don't even belong in this thread. 

How many more incidents is it going to take and injuries on other players before CC is going to fine and suspend Ovie for a period of time?  Does the injury to the opposing player have to a season ending injury or career ending before CC decides he needs to do something?  Do something now before it is to late.

Hopping off my soap box.  I for one, was glad to see Timmy G. return to the ice and Ovie not to return.

Unfortunately, this is probably what will have to happen before anything is done.  That fact just makes me sick.

Latest update from the Washington Post:

No official update on Alex Ovechkin -- but the two-time MVP skated lightly for about five minutes this morning in a track suit

http://twitter.com/tarikelbashir

Fixed that for him:

No official update on Alex the Great - but the two time knee on knee offender who's been ejected for game misconducts in two of his last three games and fined earlier for yet another infraction skated lightly for about five minutes this morning in a track suit

fpsndiver:

Great flow chart Msgt. Cody.   I got a couple guilty chuckles out ofit, mainly because it rings about true.  Very classic find there, or ifyou made it, you are very witty.

not my chart just found it on that site one day and decided to hang onto it, unfortunately i had the opportunity to use it. i think one ofthe most frustrating things for me is just the support around theleague and most people not seeing a problem with the hit. thehurricanes have their little group of haters because of the playoffdamage we've done, they have the group that hate us because we are arelocated team and then the rest that hate us because we are successfulin a southern market. so finally this team strings together some goodyears, have some team toughness, people start to respect us and then weturn around and the year has gone like this and we are back to squareone. the majority thinks the hit was fine, gleason got in the way noAO, and so on. its just frustrating to have a year like this after wehad finally climbed that mountain and earned some respect. now to therest of the league we are back to the crappy southern team with 10kattendance a night with wussy players that avoid hits and are at faultfor everything bad that happens.

I've been lurking these boards for a long time, but I've never felt the need to actually register and post.  I was at the game last night, sitting low and in the corner, and I saw this hit with my own eyes, and then 100 times on the replay screen.  Obviously, as everyone else here has said.. the hit was dirty.

I haven't been watching hockey for as long as some of you, but I used to respect Ovechkin.  He has such skill and plays with such emotion, but now it's like he's 1/2 super star and 1/2 goon.  Like TSA said, it's mind boggling as to why he feels like he needs to do this.  I mean, on the ice, there's still the whole "You don't touch our star" mentality with a lot of teams.  Somebody puts a clean hit on the captain or a young star and he gets jumped.  That's been there forever.  But, now it seems even the league is protecting these stars to the point where they can do whatever they want.

We've seen Ovechkin do too many dirty things at this point to excuse it.  What will the league do?  I'm not optimistic.  But think about other stars in the league and how they are acting?  Crosby certainly has a few moments that raise the eyebrow, and it seems is it only a matter of time until all stars realize they can get away with anything and start playing like this?

This really falls on the NHL.  Colin Campbell has proven, time and time again, that he is completely inept and unable to perform his duties.  His calls are so based on whether the player is a star or not that it's absolutely mind boggling, and just kills me every time I see a ruling dished out.  I love hockey and I love the Canes, but the NHL has got to do something about this and make it so first time offender, repeat offender, star, or goon, the ACT gets punished.

NOT the result of the play (Gleason seemingly being OK)

NOT who performed it (Ovechkin being one of the leagues super stars)

The clear intent to injure on a hit like that should result in ONE kind of punishment for everyone.  I don't care if it's Daniel Carcillo or Sidney Crosby.  Nobody should be above the rules.

I've been lurking these boards for a long time, but I've never felt the need to actually register and post.  I was at the game last night, sitting low and in the corner, and I saw this hit with my own eyes, and then 100 times on the replay screen.  Obviously, as everyone else here has said.. the hit was dirty.

I haven't been watching hockey for as long as some of you, but I used to respect Ovechkin.  He has such skill and plays with such emotion, but now it's like he's 1/2 super star and 1/2 goon.  Like TSA said, it's mind boggling as to why he feels like he needs to do this.  I mean, on the ice, there's still the whole "You don't touch our star" mentality with a lot of teams.  Somebody puts a clean hit on the captain or a young star and he gets jumped.  That's been there forever.  But, now it seems even the league is protecting these stars to the point where they can do whatever they want.

We've seen Ovechkin do too many dirty things at this point to excuse it.  What will the league do?  I'm not optimistic.  But think about other stars in the league and how they are acting?  Crosby certainly has a few moments that raise the eyebrow, and it seems is it only a matter of time until all stars realize they can get away with anything and start playing like this?

This really falls on the NHL.  Colin Campbell has proven, time and time again, that he is completely inept and unable to perform his duties.  His calls are so based on whether the player is a star or not that it's absolutely mind boggling, and just kills me every time I see a ruling dished out.  I love hockey and I love the Canes, but the NHL has got to do something about this and make it so first time offender, repeat offender, star, or goon, the ACT gets punished.

NOT the result of the play (Gleason seemingly being OK)

NOT who performed it (Ovechkin being one of the leagues super stars)

The clear intent to injure on a hit like that should result in ONE kind of punishment for everyone.  I don't care if it's Daniel Carcillo or Sidney Crosby.  Nobody should be above the rules.

Welcome, glad you decided to jump in.  smile.gif

I was quick to just blame Elmer Fudd in my previous rant but you know, AO came to this country speaking little to no English and as a kid who knew very little about our culture.  Here was this crazy talented kid that the league and George McPhee decided was not only going to be the savior for the struggling Washington franchise but would also be made the next savior for the struggling league.  AO has elite skills and what makes him different than the other league savior is that he plays with and edge.  Did the league create this by exploiting his edge to their best advantage?  Wasn't the reputation of Russian players of old that were highly skilled but too soft for the NHL?  There's no way I'm alleviating AO of any self responsibility but I think he's a product of exactly what the league wanted him to be and they had all the say in how he's evolved as an NHL player.  What I don't think is that the league ever dreamed he'd embrace this identity to the point that he'd take it to extremes.

As a side, AO has been in this country and played in the NHL long enough to know where the boundaries should and shouldn't be so this rant wasn't meant to provide him with another one of those passes he's so used to getting.

So now its up to the creators to decide what to do with this. 

Oh yeah, AO speaks:

Alex Ovechkin just said he's thankful that the injury is not more serious and is hopeful that he won't be suspended.

http://twitter.com/tarikelbashir

An average player with the same history of dirty play would have received a multi-game suspension by now.   But the dude puts butts in seats and causes viewers to tune in games.  As with the head/head hits the league must take action by siting a star player or it will continued to be viewed as second-rate.

More updates from the Caps camp via the Washington Post:

Tarik's Tweets:

Alex Ovechkin said he doesn't know how much time he'll miss. He's officially day to day, according to the team. He drove himself here, FWIW.

Fixed smile.gif Alex the Great doesn't know how much time he'll "need" to miss to make sure to get enough sympathy from Colin Campbell.  He's officially day-to-day according to his Mother (his agent) or...until the league puts out their final ruling. 

Coach Bruce Boudreau said he plans to talk to Alex Ovechkin about being "pretty reckless".

Fixed smile.gif Coach Elmer Fudd said he plans to talk to Alex the Great about being "sadistically reckless" because now he too has to answer to the league and he doesn't have the same "people" looking out for him that Alex does.

BB on AO: "It's a lot better than I thought it would be."

Fixed smile.gif  EF (BB) on AO:  "Nice turtle job last night, we need all the sympathy we can get right now because he really did it this time."

We have unofficial boards, and most of the folks there thought it was reckless, but not intentional. Watching the replay in super slo mo, his knee was already out (in fact watching him for many years, it usually is, even while just skating esp. when making turns) and he was leaning his shoulder in....

Don't think anyone is "defending" him, but I think the hysteria might not be warrented either. A game or two will happen after the press it has received.

It is amazing the players he's being compared too though, folks that went through their career intent on injurying others.....I wish he would focus more on scoring and making others around him better, maybe he could get 1/2 way through the 13 year contract.....

i've seen at least 10 knee on knee's this year that were worse, so its a two headed snake, the amount of attention "this" gets....b/c he is Ovechkin.

and I'll defend the last boarding 5 major, that was a normal, every night, 2 minute boarding.....not trolling and won't be back, just one CAP fans opinion....hope Corvo gets better soon, one of my fav. D men to watch......