The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

AO suspended two games....no kidding

AO is too reckless for his own good.  I personally think that the knee on knee incidents are a bigger issue than some of the open ice hits or the big hits along the boards.  As a player with the puck, there isn't a lot you can do when someone blatantly takes a run at you and sticks their leg out.  This isn't the first time that Ovie has done this.  Please punish him NOW!  Although, it may not make a difference, because he's selfish and doesn't care.

More updates from the Caps camp via the Washington Post:

Tarik's Tweets:

Alex Ovechkin said he doesn't know how much time he'll miss. He's officially day to day, according to the team. He drove himself here, FWIW.

Fixed smile.gif Alex the Great doesn't know how much time he'll "need" to miss to make sure to get enough sympathy from Colin Campbell.  He's officially day-to-day according to his Mother (his agent) or...until the league puts out their final ruling. 

Coach Bruce Boudreau said he plans to talk to Alex Ovechkin about being "pretty reckless".

Fixed smile.gif Coach Elmer Fudd said he plans to talk to Alex the Great about being "sadistically reckless" because now he too has to answer to the league and he doesn't have the same "people" looking out for him that Alex does.

BB on AO: "It's a lot better than I thought it would be."

Fixed smile.gif  EF (BB) on AO:  "Nice turtle job last night, we need all the sympathy we can get right now because he really did it this time."

Love it and sooo true. When Gleason returned to the ice all of us sitting in the upper level 334 said he is busted up bad or faking to evade a suspension.

The vote are in. Nice Turtle Job AO...

Welcome, glad you decided to jump in.  smile.gif

I was quick to just blame Elmer Fudd in my previous rant but you know, AO came to this country speaking little to no English and as a kid who knew very little about our culture.  Here was this crazy talented kid that the league and George McPhee decided was not only going to be the savior for the struggling Washington franchise but would also be made the next savior for the struggling league.  AO has elite skills and what makes him different than the other league savior is that he plays with and edge.  Did the league create this by exploiting his edge to their best advantage?  Wasn't the reputation of Russian players of old that were highly skilled but too soft for the NHL?  There's no way I'm alleviating AO of any self responsibility but I think he's a product of exactly what the league wanted him to be and they had all the say in how he's evolved as an NHL player.  What I don't think is that the league ever dreamed he'd embrace this identity to the point that he'd take it to extremes.

As a side, AO has been in this country and played in the NHL long enough to know where the boundaries should and shouldn't be so this rant wasn't meant to provide him with another one of those passes he's so used to getting.

This is exactly what I'm seeing in all of this. From my perspective, AO is a highly skilled European player trying to act like a North American tough guy. And the league and the media around him eat it up, mainly because they can't talk about Crosby all the time. He's just another character playing a role to them. He's lucky he's not hurt worse. If he doesn't clean it up, he'll be going the way of Ivan Drago pretty fast. Hopefully he learns the difference between playing with an "edge" and recklessness, and hopefully the league begins the lesson with a brief mandatory rest period. Won't hold my breath on that one though.

Well....I guess we all know whats probably coming now.  The NHL has minimized this to a sore knee from a collision for AO and threw in a "Gleason returned moments later" for good measure.  "Ovechkin lay prone on the ice writhing in pain" , "He had to be helped off the ice" and my personal favorite, "he couldn't put any pressure on his leg."    No mention of Gleason, who returned to the ice moments later (or several shifts) and played through all kinds of pain ignoring whatever potential injury he may have received in the hit, might possibly have woken up this morning in tough shape himself.   Not even a mention about how one player has repeatedly now put his team in difficult situations and got himself kicked out of games all on his own doing, and the other player selflessly went right back out there, injured or not because his team needed him to.

Ovechkin day-to-day with sore knee

Tuesday, 12.01.2009 / 11:58 AM / News
By Dan Rosen  - NHL.com Staff Writer
Just before noon ET Tuesday the Washington Capitals announced that superstar left wing Alex Ovechkin is being listed as day-to-day with a sore knee. It looked like it could have been a whole heck of a lot worse for Ovechkin roughly 16 hours earlier.

Following his knee-on-knee collision with Carolina defenseman

Tim Gleason 12 minutes into the first period, Ovechkin lay prone on the ice and writhing in pain. He had to be helped off and into the dressing room. He couldn't put any weight on his right leg.

However, according to blog reports from the Washington Post and Washington Times, Ovechkin skated for roughly five minutes Tuesday morning at Kettler Capitals Iceplex in Arlington, Va. before his teammates came on the ice for practice.

Wearing a red track suit, Ovechkin took a few strides and handled the puck a bit before going off. The Times' report stated that he at first didn't put use his right leg to push off, but by the end he looked OK and even bent his right knee a few times before leaving.

The Post reported late Monday night that Ovechkin, who did not return to the game, walked to the team bus with only a slight limp. He was not using crutches and did not appear to be wearing any kind of brace.

Ovechkin was issued a five-minute major for kneeing and a game misconduct. It was his second game misconduct in the last three games. He was also called for a five-minute boarding major and game misconduct in last Wednesday's game against Buffalo.

While Ovechkin could not return, Gleason did come back moments after he went to the dressing room. The Capitals went on to win, 3-2, thanks to 38 saves from

Jose Theodore and two goals from Nicklas Backstrom.

Almost lost, but certainly not forgotten from Monday's game was the injury suffered by Carolina defenseman

Joe Corvo, who will miss the next 8-12 weeks while recovering from surgery to repair a laceration in his lower right leg.

Corvo was cut by the skate of Capitals defenseman

Karl Alzner. According to the Hurricanes, he was transported to Rex Hospital, where Dr. Marty Isbell of the Raleigh Orthopaedic Clinic performed surgery to repair the injuries.

"It's never good when you see a lot of blood on a guy's sock like that," Canes forward

Matt Cullen told The Raleigh News & Observer after Monday's game.

Contact Dan Rosen at drosen@nhl.com

We all know how this is going to end. The league sets it up perfectly, Ovechkin ran into Gleason and somehow is leg was hurt in the process, Gleason luckily was okay but Ovechkin could not return to the game. The league does not plan to review the hit no injury occurred and right now Ovechkin is not able to practice and his knee is bothering him. Washingtons next game is Thursday and Ovechkin with the heart of a warrior will take the ice and manage to get through the game for his team and that'll be the end of it. Meanwhile Gleasons at home sleeping in a tub of ice.

I'm telling everyone right now, either he 1. Injures himself so badly he's lost for a long period of time, or 2. He injures someone else so bad that someone will injure him. He is an exciting player to watch but he plays with reckless abandoment all too often that it is going to affect his career one day, one way or another. And because I just have a feeling someone may jump on me, no I'm not wishing harm on him at all, I'm just speaking what I see in his future.
I'm an Ovechkin fan, so I know I'm biased when I say this.  I agree with your point about him playing with reckless abandon and that one day it is going to do some serious harm to himself or someone else.  I've always felt that one of the things I really enjoyed about him is that it is obvious that he truly loves the game, and you can tell because he plays with that childish, unrestrained abandon.  The biased part is that I don't think he means to hurt anyone.  I don't think he's a goon in that he goes out gunning to take people down.  I do think he's a big guy and he doesn't hold back and that is a huge issue when you don't have restraint.  Even Tripper said last night that a lot of things that Ovie does are just bad habits that need to be broken, but he doesn't think that he intends to injure others, but I realize that people who hate Ovie will see anything he does as intentional.  I'm not going to argue that with anyone because opinions won't change whether it is mine or that person's.  Either way, I'm hoping Ovechkin can learn to work on restraint and using his body correctly so that he doesn't get hurt, and he doesn't hurt any other players.

Oh, and I should add that I do think he should get a suspension.  I think the guy is a great player, but that doesn't make him above the law.  A suspension might shake him a little, and maybe he'll start rethinking how he plays.  For both his sake and others.

Oh no!  An Ovie fan that wouldn't mind him getting suspended?!?!  What is the world coming to!  eek.gif

We have unofficial boards, and most of the folks there thought it was reckless, but not intentional. Watching the replay in super slo mo, his knee was already out (in fact watching him for many years, it usually is, even while just skating esp. when making turns) and he was leaning his shoulder in....

Don't think anyone is "defending" him, but I think the hysteria might not be warrented either. A game or two will happen after the press it has received.

It is amazing the players he's being compared too though, folks that went through their career intent on injurying others.....I wish he would focus more on scoring and making others around him better, maybe he could get 1/2 way through the 13 year contract.....

i've seen at least 10 knee on knee's this year that were worse, so its a two headed snake, the amount of attention "this" gets....b/c he is Ovechkin.

and I'll defend the last boarding 5 major, that was a normal, every night, 2 minute boarding.....not trolling and won't be back, just one CAP fans opinion....hope Corvo gets better soon, one of my fav. D men to watch......

I could see if Ovie didn't have a history of hurting players without being suspending including the last 5 min. major with the game misconduct against Buffalo a couple of games ago.  I stated the Great Ovie's infractions in a previous post, where several other players received suspensions and fines for those same type of hits.  Sorry but one or two games is out of the question.  Gleason sucked it up, returned to the ice, risking injury to his knee.  Ovie, it seems returned to the ice this morning in a warm up suit to skate so his knee ain't as hurt as everyone is making it out to be.

Defend your player all you want, Ovie is a dirty player.  Players are being taken out on stretchers, missing games and Ovie is getting nothing from the league for his dirty play all because he is a big time star for this league.  You can bet if Ovie hadn't gotten the game misconduct, he would have return.  Two game misconducts in the last 3 games, CC needs to hand Ovie his butt on a big time platter for a big time star.

As for the amount of attention this is getting is because Ovie has a history of it and he is leaving his mark for dirty plays, just read Scott Burnside's story on ESPN.com, even Burnside thinks Ovie needs to be suspended for it.  This is just one Canes fan opinion but Ovie needs to be made example of.

From the NHL Website:

Ovechkin suspended for two games

Tuesday, 12.01.2009 / 4:04 PM / News
NHL.com
The NHL announced Tuesday that Washington Capitals' forward Alexander Ovechkin has been suspended two games as the result of a knee-on-knee collision with Tim Gleason of the Carolina Hurricanes Monday night in a 3-2 Washington victory.

Ovechkin was issued a five-minute major for kneeing and a game misconduct for the collision with Gleason. Ovechkin said he was just trying to "make a normal hit" on Gleason, but the 'Canes' defenseman turned quickly and Ovechkin didn't react in time.

Nevertheless, it was his second game misconduct in the last three games. He also was called for a five-minute boarding major and game misconduct in last Wednesday's game against Buffalo.

im shocked too. Though in my humble opinion, OV tried to line Timmy up, and when Timmy decided he didnt want to play, OV did a dirty move. So i dont like how they made it as though it was just a freak coincidence of nature. If so, OV would have returned to the game to score his first 5 game goal in his nhl career.

In my humble opinion

Update from the Washington Post:

Tarik's Tweet:

Alex Ovechkin has been suspended two games, I'm told.

Fixed smile.gif  OMG, they actually did it? Alex the Great has been suspended for 2 games, I just can't believe it.  This is Alex Ovechkin!!!!!

I would have liked to see him get three or four, since he'd probably already miss a couple on account of the injury. But at least two games is a shot across the bow, and he knows the league is watching him. Next time he screws up, he'll officially be a repeat offender, which will force Campbell's hand a bit when deciding on appropriate disciplinary measures.

It's not ideal, but it definitely could be worse, and it's certainly better than I expected.

God Almighty! The league office grew some...big ones. I had steeled myself for the usual "the victim, er Gleason, put himself in a vulnerable position in his attempt to avoid the flagrant hit".  I'm very happy right now.

6a00d83451b4ba69e2011571437585970b-150wi

I bet the Caps and their fans are not happy with CC and the decision. It seems CC had enough of Ovie and his goon like behavior. Two games for knee to knee and he gave Ruutu 3 for a boarding incident. Oh well, it is a start.

This better send a message to the rest of the "stars" that you play dirty, you will be seeing some time off the ice.

I so want to run to the Caps message board and gloat but I got class and won't. This group of fans, I hope, has more class then to troll over there and gloat that Ovie got what he deserve, a two game suspension.

I don't think you need to run and gloat, and just cause one or 2 posters thinks he shouldn't be suspended, the great majority, including blogs agree he should. He's not a dirty player, he should not get 10 games. The other knee on knee's (some resulting in injuries) got nada....his boarding was the 2 minute variety.

Lots was made of it, he got 2 games, he'll come back hitting in 3 games......

Not what I thought, especially after reading the NHL comments on the aftermath of the hit, the way they described Ovenchicken not being able to put any weight on his leg.  However, Gleason couldn't either and had to be helped off the ice.

I guess we should be happy that CC gave a suspension.  Is it long enough?  Evidently the NHL thinks so.ohwell.gif

I agree with many statements that OV is extremely talented and plays out of control a lot of the time.  I also have given considerable thought to the theory that the NHL has created this "tougher" Russian player.  Perhaps that is true.  Hopefully this terrible knee injury (sarcasm alert) and suspension will help get him under control.

One final observation...not only does Alex tend to lead with his knee quite often, but this guy leaves his feet when checking, especially when on the boards, more than any other player I have watch in years.  Where's the penality call then?

"Carefully steps off soapbox"

I don't think you need to run and gloat, and just cause one or 2 posters thinks he shouldn't be suspended, the great majority, including blogs agree he should. He's not a dirty player, he should not get 10 games. The other knee on knee's (some resulting in injuries) got nada....his boarding was the 2 minute variety.

Lots was made of it, he got 2 games, he'll come back hitting in 3 games......

Yes. He. Is.  Take off the homer glasses.

Maybe not 10, but definitely at least 3.

Please don't come here and try to defend him.  You have your own board for that.  

Part of being great in this or any league is accepting responsibility as a superstar to help define what the game you represent is about. Not to mention respect for the game itself and respect for your fellow competitors. Maybe someone should tell him that ideal that great athletes practice in this hemisphere.

yea................this is pointless.

He'd of missed 2 games from the injury anyway, hells the point in this? Should be tacked on to when his injury was over.

I went over to the Caps boards and took a peak.  Most over there agree with most over here.  The hit warranted a suspension and was a longer string of questionable hits by OV which finally caught up with him.  So, I guess that's good.  I thought he would get 2 games only because Gleason came back in the game.  Would like to have seen 5, similar to what Laraque received.  But, I agree its a start in recognizing a problem.  I like OV and what he brings to the ice most of the time.  Hopefully, he can learn something before he hurts himself or someone else.  Finally, that's enough talk about Ovechkin.  I hope Timmy's feeling okay.  That dude is one tough hockey player, and I'm glad he's on our team.