The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

AO suspended two games....no kidding

Yea he showed his toughness and that he cares about the success of this team. Considering circumstances would have been real easy to tank the game. That was a professional seeing one D man already go down and stepping up answering the bell. Awesome example for your teammates and for us fans TIMMY

Yea he showed his toughness and that he cares about the success of this team. Considering circumstances would have been real easy to tank the game. That was a professional seeing one D man already go down and stepping up answering the bell. Awesome example for your teammates and for us fans TIMMY
I agree - Gleason is awesome! His teammates must have great respect for him. So glad he

is a Cane.  grin.gif

Listening to Mtl/Torr game on CI now---commentators discussing the Ovie thing. All four thought the league decision

was right, given his history of reckless play--which they reviewed like we have here, saying a message needed to be sent.

(Don't know who all the commentators were but McTavish was one of them)

Have to give Timmy kudo's. Don't think they would have let him go back in if Corvo hadn't been injured---but

I think he insisted. He played as hard as he could, and ended up physically pulling that guy off of Staal at the

end !!  You know he is paying for all that today. Glad we have some days off.

Hope he did not really aggravate the knee by continuing to play. Has anyone heard how he is?

yea................this is pointless.

He'd of missed 2 games from the injury anyway, hells the point in this? Should be tacked on to when his injury was over.

This is progress.  Two important things:

1) Ovie now officially has "history".  That's important.  See the flow chart wink.gif

2) He loses some cash.  Yeah, yeah, no big deal, but ya never know.

I've always enjoyed watching Ovie.  For the sake of his health and everyone else's, he needs to learn a few things.  CanesGrrrl is probably right in saying he doesn't intend the injury, but most people don't intend to rear-end people on I-540 either. 

I just saw on ESPN that Ovechkin was suspended for 2 games due to his knee-to-knee hit on Tom Gleason!  What a coincidence... so is that four games all together?

"just trying to make a normal hit"... lol, No Ovie, for you that WAS a normal hit.

It's nice to see some justice done here.  But knowing our luck the Capitals will be unphased with his absence and continue to rock the east.  With Ovechkin off the ice I guess he'll use the time to film a couple more Geico commercials.  I gotta admit that the bowling one was pretty good.

(some sarcasm... alert)

Guess now we'll have to see if he has learned a lesson from this. Right now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

BTW, gotta give props to Gleason for standing up for his teammates. Atta boy Timmy!!

I just saw on ESPN that Ovechkin was suspended for 2 games due to his knee-to-knee hit on Tom Gleason!  What a coincidence... so is that four games all together?

Heh, I'll chock that up to the "typical ESPN disrespecting the Whaler thieves" category.

TSA makes a very valid point and interesting perspective regarding how portions of Ovechkin "the player" are the products of the league's desires. Although he is anything but innocent (he's a grown man), the NHL created the monster behind all of the dirty hits and their (read: CC) inaction on the disciplinary front can be taken as a silent embrace or endorsement and few would disagree.

How about we suspend Colin Campbell for a week and fine him for his disgraceful tenure? It would be naive to consider him anything less than partially responsible for some of the dirty and unnecessary hits we've all witnessed over the last couple of years. Dirty hits from players with histories of dirty hits but lack a history of suspensions. Colin Campbell shares responsibility.

Step down.

I wasn't defending him, the hit didn't deserve 10 games. Nor did it deserve one more than what ever he was going to get     eyes.gif

Ovechkin has played like this since day one (in fact if you look at the AO DVD put out by the CAPS, I would say he was MORE reckless his 1st year and has toned it down alot) NHL didn't create or allow anything - the only thing that has changed is guys trying to avoid his open ice and hits along the board...guess he can't always pull up that quick, so he'll get some suspensions I suppose....I hope he does change his game so he lasts longer and scores more....I suspect he won't much...(BTW we have plenty of fans on our both of our boards from other teams with different opinions...not really that big a deal)

This afternoon]
 correspondent Pavel Lysenkov spoke by telephone with
's mother, Tatiana Ovechkina, who was in Moscow.

"That defenseman Gleason should wear glasses when he's out on the ice!" said mama Ovechkin indignantly. "So he can see what's happening on the ice and have time to coordinate his moves. He even came back and played the rest of the game, and here Sasha could have been seriously injured."

"This is how I saw it: The defenseman got the puck, and Sasha went towards him to try and force a turnover. At that moment another Carolina player skated by him and blocked his view..."

"Again, Gleason should get him some rose or dark colored glasses. Or contact lenses. He shouldn't be staring at the ice, looking at the color of his laces or the puck. You can't play like that! A hockey player has to keep his head up! And my son was out the rest of the game..."

Like in the Buffalo game. That was also a crazy situation, and Kaleta didn't even get injured.

"They're all alive and healthy, and Sasha is expelled. Is that fair?"

Was Alexander seriously injured?

"I'm not going to talk about it. Ask him about it."

Is there a risk that he'll miss the Olympics?

"I don't think so. Knock on wood."

This afternoon]

"That defenseman Gleason should wear glasses when he's out on the ice!" said mama Ovechkin indignantly. "So he can see what's happening on the ice and have time to coordinate his moves. He even came back and played the rest of the game, and here Sasha could have been seriously injured."

"This is how I saw it: The defenseman got the puck, and Sasha went towards him to try and force a turnover. At that moment another Carolina player skated by him and blocked his view..."

"Again, Gleason should get him some rose or dark colored glasses. Or contact lenses. He shouldn't be staring at the ice, looking at the color of his laces or the puck. You can't play like that! A hockey player has to keep his head up! And my son was out the rest of the game..."

Like in the Buffalo game. That was also a crazy situation, and Kaleta didn't even get injured.

What in the world are you trying to say/prove by posting this?  This is HILARIOUS!  Maybe I should get my grandma to give her commentary on it too.  I can hear it now... "Well that there caveman lookin' feller ought to play nicer!  And maybe he ought to get himself some better skates - ones with brakes on 'em or something so's he can stop himself from runnin' into the other boys like that!  That nice young man Gleason sure is a tough cookie, comin' back to play after that ogre hit his knee!"

BTW, I thought you said in your first post "I won't be back".

did you miss me ??    wink.gif

A cantankerous Alex Ovechkin said he isn't going to change and the suspension has only made him mad.

from times twitter

Sooner or later he'll take a cheap shot at the wrong player...

From the offender(article from PuckDaddy.com):

Speaking to the media today during Washington Capitals' practice, Ovechkin said he's not changing his style for anyone or any reason.

"How can you tell me, like, you just have to stop playing how you play?" he said.

"I play risky. I don't try a dirty hit, make some people get hurt. But sometimes people just turn back or turn right away so I don't have time to realize and stop. What can you do? You can't do nothing?"

Ovechkin, who labeled his knee injury as day-to-day after skating this morning, said: "Why I have listen somebody to say I have to change game. Nobody can kill me. Just play my game."

Full article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Coach-calls-Ovechkin-reckless-Caps-star-defen?urn=nhl,205940

To Ovechkin: Why you not start by no leave your feet on hits? Why you not stick knee out at other player knee? Why you game need this junk?

To Ovechkin: Why you not start by no leave your feet on hits? Why you not stick knee out at other player knee? Why you game need this junk?

This is starting to sound like a bad remake of the Terminator laugh.gif

ads_terminator_concept.jpg

Alex Ovechkin  stars as Arnold Swartzenager 

in

"The NHL Terminator"

He's programmed to kill, but can anyone stop this cyborg sent from Russia?

Ok, I never write "LOL" but I totally just LOL'd at that.  laugh.gif

And methinks our visitor from the Caps board is quickly veering into troll territory with his last two posts.  tired.gif 

I think Momma Ovie needs to take off her rose colored glasses when it comes to her son, the Orge. Did she actually watch the same game we are discussing or did someone send her an edited tape?

Momma Ovie needs to have a long chat with her dirty playing son and tell him that if he keeps playing like this someone is going to take him out on one of those infamous hits he does on other players.

Two games to start with and a fine of less than 100,000 for each games is a drop in the bucket to him. Nice to see CC send a message to one of the big stars of the leagues that nonsense like this won't be tolerated even from them.

[quote name='Blueice1 wrote:

NHL didn't [..] allow anythingYou are delusional.

Blueice1']

This afternoon]

"That defenseman Gleason should wear glasses when he's out on theice!" said mama Ovechkin indignantly. "So he can see what's happeningon the ice and have time to coordinate his moves. He even came back andplayed the rest of the game, and here Sasha could have been seriouslyinjured."

"This is how I saw it: The defenseman got the puck, and Sasha wenttowards him to try and force a turnover. At that moment anotherCarolina player skated by him and blocked his view..."

"Again, Gleason should get him some rose or dark colored glasses. Orcontact lenses. He shouldn't be staring at the ice, looking at thecolor of his laces or the puck. You can't play like that! A hockeyplayer has to keep his head up! And my son was out the rest of thegame..."

Well that settles it, doesn't it everyone? The authority on all things hockey, Ovechkin's mother, has spoken. Finally we can put this whole thing behind us. Clearly, it was Gleason's fault.

Now I know you are delusional. I've got surprising news for you: no one cares what Alex Ovechkin's mother thinks. Not only that, but her opinion on the matter is no more authoritative than that of paperweight. Presenting this waste of digital newsprint (and probably allowing it to shape or reinforce your opinion on the matter at hand) is like giving credence to what some criminal's delusional apologist mother has to say as if she is some unbiased, legitimate character reference or eyewitness. "Oh, he's such a good boy. He didn't mean to hurt anyone, that's just not my little boy. He wouldn't hurt a fly! That big fancy mansion was just begging to be robbed and those fat-cat residents were just asking to be assaulted. I don't know why my son has been arrested. I mean, what were those people thinking trying to defend their belongings and themselves? They should have let my son do as he pleased and they wouldn't have been hurt! I can't believe my son is in jail."

It's the same insane mentality and I don't mean the mother's - I mean your mentality. 1) Deflect attention away from the criminal 2) Blame the victim 3) Make fool of oneself. If anything his mother's words do more to damage Ovechkin's reputation than it does to help it.

rolleyes.gif

And I think CarolinaGirl77 is right; didn't you say you were leaving? laugh.gif

Wow, you know what?   We need to get Momma Gleason's side of the story now.  And if she disagrees (and I'm sure she will) we should get the two mothers to drop their gloves center ice and settle it once and for all.  I know who I'd put my money on... anyone who could make and raise a Tim Gleason is someone I DON'T want to mess with.

Wow, you know what?   We need to get Momma Gleason's side of the story now.  And if she disagrees (and I'm sure she will) we should get the two mothers to drop their gloves center ice and settle it once and for all.  I know who I'd put my money on... anyone who could make and raise a Tim Gleason is someone I DON'T want to mess with.

You might want to rethink that.  mama ovi was hit by a car at 7 yrs old.  Wasnt supposed to ever run again,  ended up with 2 olympic golds in basketball.  Pretty tough chick in my book.  and Gleason isnt that tough if Matt Bradley can go toe-to-toe w/ him.   

Although im a caps fan and agree for once with what the league office did,  I still find it hilarious that most people on this board are complaining about the "boarding" call against kaleta.  I'll come back and laugh when someone from your team hits someone in the shoulder, than that guy gets cut by his visor and your player gets a major.  I guess you'll think Alzner should be banned for life for cutting Corvo huh?  

What did the league office do?  They suspended an injured player whose coach is really worried about his long term viability because of his 'style' of play.  He wasn't playing Thursday, anyway.

Even if he threw that knee(or any other questionable hit) by mistake, and you accept that he's one of the best, you may have to rectify those opinions. 

I think we've seen in the past with great players that they reach a degree of control on the ice that hardly anything they do is accidental. 

If they decide to be *edit*, they are *edit*.  I think AO - as a bright young star - may disappoint people when he ends up a Dale Hunter with more injuries.

So much for the Caps fans not coming here to defend their player.  

Message to Caps fans:  If you come here to argue for and defend your player, don't bother.