The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

AO suspended two games....no kidding

So much for the Caps fans not coming here to defend their player.  

Message to Caps fans:  If you come here to argue for and defend your player, don't bother.

So much for the Caps fans not coming here to defend their player.  

Message to Caps fans:  If you come here to argue for and defend your player, don't bother.

Thanks for dealing with one of the idiots.  If the other one has any more comments like his last couple, I'd hope to see him chucked out as well.

I apologize for responding to blueice, but I'm glad y'all liked the vid linky.  I am from the DC area, never was a Caps fan though, but most of my childhood friends are Caps fans, so I have to remember the gems like the Semin fight, so that when I'm arguing with former cronies about hockey, I know which cards to pull out.  The Semin fight last year is the big one, any time they get froggy, all you have to do is mention Semin/Staal last year.....and their heads will bow in embarrassment.  You can only whip that out at key moments though, and can't over-use it.  We all need a little chuckle this season, that is for sure. 

I'm not sure why my fellow Caps fans would hang their heads when that video is mentioned -- It's not like they're doing the fighting.  Semin isn't a tough guy, he's a skilled puck handler and goal scorer.  He probably hasn't been in too many fights in his hockey career.  Now, if Ovechkin did that, that would be another story.  I'd feel bad for Alex as he's such a physical player.  I personally find the video quite funny.  smile.gif

I really hope Alex keeps to his word and doesn't change his style of play.  Have some of his hit been questionable?  Sure.  Is he the only one in the league that does it?  Nope.  Is he the only one who gets a pass sometimes?  Unlikely.  To think he goes out and intentionally tries to injure another player is ignorant.  I don't think there's one player (well...maybe Tucker smile.gif ) who would want to see another player injured like that.  For one, there's always a chance they could be teammates at some point in the future and two, they wouldn't want the same thing happening to them.  

Being from the D.C. area, I was at Ovechkin's first NHL game.  In his first shift he checked someone into the boards so hard the glass shattered.  He's played fast and hard his entire career and I wouldn't want him to ease up now.

I'm not sure why my fellow Caps fans would hang their heads when that video is mentioned -- It's not like they're doing the fighting.  Semin isn't a tough guy, he's a skilled puck handler and goal scorer.  He probably hasn't been in too many fights in his hockey career.  Now, if Ovechkin did that, that would be another story.  I'd feel bad for Alex as he's such a physical player.  I personally find the video quite funny.  smile.gif

I really hope Alex keeps to his word and doesn't change his style of play.  Have some of his hit been questionable?  Sure.  Is he the only one in the league that does it?  Nope.  Is he the only one who gets a pass sometimes?  Unlikely.  To think he goes out and intentionally tries to injure another player is ignorant.  I don't think there's one player (well...maybe Tucker smile.gif ) who would want to see another player injured like that.  For one, there's always a chance they could be teammates at some point in the future and two, they wouldn't want the same thing happening to them.  

Being from the D.C. area, I was at Ovechkin's first NHL game.  In his first shift he checked someone into the boards so hard the glass shattered.  He's played fast and hard his entire career and I wouldn't want him to ease up now.

You can play hard without being dirty. Just don't leave your feet on checks, just don't stick your knee out. There is absolutely no correlation between playing physical and sticking your knee out. Any non physical 4th liner could skate around and hit no one all game then stick their knee out on a guy. Physical play: Cheap Shot. Two different things.

Remember when Cullen was hurt against the Rangers a couple years ago and we had Rags fans coming here to defend their guy?  Remember in the playoffs last year after game 1 of the ECF's when all the Pens fans were here defending their guys?

Same stuff, different day.  I've never understood why a fan would join another team's message board just to justify what their player did.  Their justification of their player's actions isn't going to change our minds.  I'll post on another board, but I'm going to say "well, Ruutu wasn't really boarding when he hit that player from behind".  If that had been AO's first knee to knee hit, he wouldn't have gotten suspended.  He's starting to get lifetime achievement awards now. 

[quote name=remkin wrote:

Physical play: Cheap Shot. Two different things.

I completely agree with that statement.  I guess I'm in the minority that believes Alex doesn't go out and try to cheap shot everyone all the time.  I think he gets himself into such a frenzy when fighting for the puck he gets a little out of control.  I don't feel he's doing anything out of malice towards another player. 

super-dave-1]Same stuff, different day.  I've never understood why a fan would joinanother team's message board just to justify what their player did.

Not sure if that was directed at me at all or not, but I didn't join the board because of this incident.  I've been reading and (very rarely) posting here since mid-2006 when we moved to Raleigh.  I just wanted to offer up some opinions from the other side and not try to come off sounding like a troll in the process.

[quote name='mdl70 wrote:

remkin wrote:

Physical play: Cheap Shot. Two different things.

I completely agree with that statement.  I guess I'm in the minority that believes Alex doesn't go out and try to cheap shot everyone all the time.  I think he gets himself into such a frenzy when fighting for the puck he gets a little out of control.  I don't feel he's doing anything out of malice towards another player. 

super-dave-1']Same stuff, different day.  I've never understood why a fan would join another team's message board just to justify what their player did.

Not sure if that was directed at me at all or not, but I didn't join the board because of this incident.  I've been reading and (very rarely) posting here since mid-2006 when we moved to Raleigh.  I just wanted to offer up some opinions from the other side and not try to come off sounding like a troll in the process.

Not really directed at you per-se, but at a lot of the trollers we've had in the past.  The Caps logo as your avatar and your defense of AO does have some similarities to what we've had in the past with opposing fans have tried to defend how their "clean" players have put ours on injured reserve. I apologize if it didn't apply in your case.

Well, my friends and comrades (slight pun there wink.gif ) in Northern VA (Woodbridge/Lakeridge) give that very reaction when I have brought it up, of course that is usually a couple beers and many tall stories deep into hockey arguments of now and yesteryear.

I went to Caps games at the old Cap Center in Landover, MD all through my youth, but usually only when they were playing the Pens (Go Lemieux), Flyers, or Devils.  I think back then it was more about the social aspects of hanging out with buddies than watching the games.

All that being said:  I think AO is one heck of a player, one of the best I've seen since Lemieux was drafted.  However, his recklessness,  he doesn't need.  He has the potential to break and set all sorts of NHL records, but not if he is out injured all the time, or suspended....  I'm not saying his aggressive play needs to go away, but the reckless abandon might need to be throtted back a bit. 

I think I can safely speak for most here when I say that our opinions on Alex aren't the result of a knee-jerk reaction to the Gleason hit. A lot of us (most of us?) have noted for years the abundance of questionable or downright dirty hits AO doesn't get whistled for. It's not as if this is some new issue. Just because it has been going on for years does not mean he doesn't get special treatment from the league (just because YOU might be desensitized to it doesn't mean there's no problem). To believe he is treated the same as any other player is flat out ignorant. He gets away with dirty hits for one simple reason: he's a superstar. If you don't understand that, then you are drinking way too much of the Bruce Boudreau/Mama Ovechkin Kool-aid.

All that being said:  I think AO is one heck of a player, one of the best I've seen since Lemieux was drafted.  However, his recklessness,  he doesn't need.  He has the potential to break and set all sorts of NHL records, but not if he is out injured all the time, or suspended....  I'm not saying his aggressive play needs to go away, but the reckless abandon might need to be throtted back a bit. 
Agreed. There are players who wouldn't be in the NHL if they didn't play with a dirty edge; Ovechkin obviously is not one of these. He would be even more highly regarded as a player if he played straight up and showed respect for all of the OTHER players in the league. You know, those other guys on the ice? Yeah, they have careers, too. There are plenty of very physical players in the league who are also standup, classy, respectful players who play the game cleanly. Why can't he be part of this group? I have no problem with him being physical but the constant charging, boarding, and kneeing have got to go. That's what is so frustrating to me about the guy. I'd honestly like him if he'd cut the goon crap out. 

Not sure if this was posted yet... but I got a pretty good laugh out of what Ovechkin's mother had to say about the hit:
http://www.japersrink.com/2009/12/1/1181277/mama-ovechkin-gleason-needs-to-get

"That defenseman Gleason should wear glasses when he's out on the ice!" said mama Ovechkin indignantly. "So he can see what's happening on the ice and have time to coordinate his moves. He even came back and played the rest of the game, and here Sasha could have been seriously injured."

"This is how I saw it: The defenseman got the puck, and Sasha went towards him to try and force a turnover. At that moment another Carolina player skated by him and blocked his view..."

"Again, Gleason should get him some rose or dark colored glasses. Or contact lenses. He shouldn't be staring at the ice, looking at the color of his laces or the puck. You can't play like that! A hockey player has to keep his head up! And my son was out the rest of the game..."

Like in the Buffalo game. That was also a crazy situation, and Kaleta didn't even get injured.

"They're all alive and healthy, and Sasha is expelled. Is that fair?"

Was Alexander seriously injured?

"I'm not going to talk about it. Ask him about it."

Is there a risk that he'll miss the Olympics?

"I don't think so. Knock on wood."

devil.gif

I seriously can't stand AO, I was praying he was injured badly after he hit Gleason.... it would teach the jerk a lesson.

And his mom! That is hysterical!! Sounds to me like someone needs to get the old bat a pair of glasses!

One of these days AO will get his %@*# handed to him on the ice, and I hope I get to see it! (over and over again!)

devil.gif

I seriously can't stand AO, I was praying he was injured badly after he hit Gleason.... it would teach the jerk a lesson.

And his mom! That is hysterical!! Sounds to me like someone needs to get the old bat a pair of glasses!

One of these days AO will get his !*@* handed to him on the ice, and I hope I get to see it! (over and over again!)

You stay classy