The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hurricanes1210

lineups for next season

I hope we'll pick up a big time FA winger with all the money we have coming off the books this year.  We have enough money coming off the books and enough talented minor leaguers who will make the league minimum to be able to go out and get someone.

Including all possible trades, free agent pick ups, call ups from albany, and draft picks, what would your ideal lineup/depth chart be for next season?

mine would look a little something like this:

Hall Staal Cole

Jokinen Sutter Ruutu

Samsonov Lombardi(fa pickup) LaRose

Boychuk Cullen Walker

Gleason Barker(trade)

Pitkanen Mcbain

Carson Corvo

what do you guys think?  i can dream, right?

Do you think Cullen will still be a Cane next season?

I'll take a crack at this.....here it goes,

2010/2011 Carolina Hurricanes (according to me)

Hall or Seguin('10 draft)-Staal-A.Frolov(FA)

Boychuk-Sutter-Ruutu

Cole-Cullen(re-sign)-LaRose

Samsonov-Jokinen-Kostopolous

*Tlusty can fill the void of injury, and maybe break the top six as a regular.. but don't know where to pencil him in.

Gleason-Pitkanen

Babchuk(re-sign)-Alberts

Rodney-McBain

Ward-Legace(re-sign for cheap)

I'd like to say Corvo stays.. but my hunch is, he is all but gone. Might re-sign Whitney on a 1-2yr. deal, but not likely because of his age(man ,I don't want him to go!) everything else just falls into place! I like my ideas do to the fianancial aspect and our team looks pretty solid! Quite a few of these guys are system players or already have contracts with some time left on them. Let me know what you think everyone, and please give me some of your thoughts.  Coming to the RBC rafters near you... #17!!!! 

[quote name='hockeybaby wrote:

hurricanes1210']Including all possible trades, free agent pick ups, call ups from albany, and draft picks, what would your ideal lineup/depth chart be for next season?

mine would look a little something like this:

Hall Staal Cole

Jokinen Sutter Ruutu

Samsonov Lombardi(fa pickup) LaRose

Boychuk Cullen Walker

Gleason Barker(trade)

Pitkanen Mcbain

Carson Corvo

what do you guys think?  i can dream, right?

Do you think Cullen will still be a Cane next season?

Most definately.. probably at a home discounted rate too, he loves playing in Carolina! I would look to see him sign at least a 2-3yr. deal to be a part of this franchises (near) future. Cullen is one of our best centers (heart and soul player) and I have him penciled in at 3rd line center, but he could easily be a 2nd, maybe even a 1st line guy ( but we have Staal for that ). Agree?

1st rd pick probably Hall - Staal - Ruutu

Boychuk - Sutter - Cole

I see the first two lines pretty clear cut , and the 4th line will probably have Kosto on it but we are loaded with players who I think have enough skill to play on the 3rd line but there are only 3 spots.  I'm calling Tlusty - Jokinen - Samsonov.  Samson/Bowman could get a spot here if Samsonov is moved.

Kosto - Call up/cheap FA - LaRose

Gleason - Pitkanen

Alberts -  IDK yet, someone we get in a trade for whitney/cullen/corvo

Carson - Rodney

Ward

Peters?

I'd put Matt Cullen in my number two center spot all day long, based upon his play this year.  Game in and game out that's the guy I've noticed more consistently than any player, and he's stayed in the lineup. Love to see him as a Cane next year but if he continues this kinda play we may get a deal we just can't refuse at the trade deadline from a real contender needing a rental player.  I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a special deal coming back to Raleigh. 

[quote name='shauniac79 wrote:

hockeybaby']Re: Cullen

Most definately.. probably at a home discounted rate too, he loves playing in Carolina! I would look to see him sign at least a 2-3yr. deal to be a part of this franchises (near) future. Cullen is one of our best centers (heart and soul player) and I have him penciled in at 3rd line center, but he could easily be a 2nd, maybe even a 1st line guy ( but we have Staal for that ). Agree?

Agree ! I think Cullen has given it every night and been one of the bright spots in this bleak season. We let him get away once and had

to end up getting him back. I hope we keep him. I know he really likes it here---

(actually b/c I ran into him at Target one day, and he told me so.)

While I don't have Cullen in the core, simply because the core is untouchable, Cullen is one of the first non-core guys I would want to keep.

I like the idea of Staal/Cullen/Sutter as our top 3 centers. Then fill in the wingers, with Ruutu as the only core winger in the entire group.

While I don't have Cullen in the core, simply because the core is untouchable, Cullen is one of the first non-core guys I would want to keep.

I like the idea of Staal/Cullen/Sutter as our top 3 centers. Then fill in the wingers, with Ruutu as the only core winger in the entire group.
Guys don't forget. We have Brind'Amour for 1 more season and JR said his contract will play out.  We won't pick up another forward unless we trade some dead weight.

-Trade Whitney to a contender for a higher-round draft pick at the deadline.

-Waive Samsonov.

-Trade Cullen to Chicago for a draft pick and prospect (Jack Skille). Chicago is interested in Cullen, but I can't see Carolina interested in Cam Barker's contract or Brent Sopel as a salary dump. They pick up a draft pick and another reclaimation prospect and hope Chicago is able to make room for Cullen through another deal.

-Keep Brind'Amour, although I expect he'll strongly consider retirement at the end of the season.

-Trade Yelle and Walker to contenders for lower-round draft picks at the deadline. In Walker's case, try to make a deal with Nashville which is one of the few places I would expect Walker to allow himself to be dealt to.

-Keep Corvo. His injury will likely deflate any potential return at the deadline and deflate any reasonable contract demands in the offseason. Try to re-sign him.

-Allow Legace and Leighton to leave via free agency.

Most of the moves would be made with the total team salary in mind and the need to limit the financial impact of this terrible season on Karmanos. With these moves made and a couple of moves made in the offseason, you enter '10-'11 with this line-up:

Hall (DRAFT) / Staal / Ruutu

Boychuk / Sutter / Cole

LaRose / Jokinen / Skille (TRADE)

Dwyer / Chaput / Kostopoulos

Gleason / Corvo

Pitkanen / Hamhuis (UFA)

Alberts / Rodney

Ward

Peters

Young Goal Scorer(picked up in trade for whitney) / Staal / Ruutu

FA pickup / Cullen / Pistilli

Bowman/Sutter/Dwyer

Boychuk/Chaput/Kostopolous

Pittkanen / Gleason

Corvo / Carson

Alberts / Harrison or McBain

Brindamour cannot be on the ice-negotiated buyout of his last year (Staal takes the "C")

Walker/Aaron Ward traded to Nashville for young talent

Nick Dodge to get a chance to make team

Hope that Staal demonstrates some skills...such as occasionally putting the puck in the net

Is it wrong to pull against your team so they can get the first round pick? !!!!Taylor Hall!!! Think of a line with Taylor Hall and Eric Staal....

i was just thinking the same thing.  I hate seeing them lose any game, but this year after every game i think to myself  "well atleast we get taylor hall"

I'd put Matt Cullen in my number two center spot all day long, based upon his play this year.  Game in and game out that's the guy I've noticed more consistently than any player, and he's stayed in the lineup. Love to see him as a Cane next year but if he continues this kinda play we may get a deal we just can't refuse at the trade deadline from a real contender needing a rental player.  I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a special deal coming back to Raleigh. 

I feel the same way.