The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
drizzle

Can we PLEASE stop playing the trap in the 3rd?!!

Uh, no - what would you call it when 3-4 guys are back and only1-2 up for the entire 3rd period?

That's not how they were playing in the 1st and 2nd - why were we playing that way in the 3rd - and not doing a good job of it to boot?!!

The trap is a defensive style where the defense camps out in the middle and trys to force the other team to turn it over. A good team that does this is the Devils. They play boring hockey that wins (you cant argue with three cups)

This style we are playing is not the trap, it is the play defense in the third style. I dont mind the trap, but i do mind the get and sit on a lead mentality.

That said, can any1 confirm whether this is the coachs orders to play defense in the third, or a player mentality. because this needs to be fixed asap.

Uh, no - what would you call it when 3-4 guys are back and only1-2 up for the entire 3rd period?

ummm defense? Trying to protect the lead? Going into a shell? Voluntarily handing over the momentum? Playing it safe?

That's not how they were playing in the 1st and 2nd - why were we playing that way in the 3rd - and not doing a good job of it to boot?!!

I have no idea why the guys keep doing it because it is obvious that we have problems with teams who like to forecheck or are good at cycling the puck to wear us down. Maybe you ought to ask the coach or the players?

It has nothing to do with the trap though. The trap is a neutral zone defensive tactic in which the puck carrier gets pressured to pass the puck while everyone else tries to block all the passing lanes, in essence you either force him to cough up the puck or keep the other team from flying through the neutral zone. That's hardly what we were trying to do, not when you have three or four Canes parked out in front of Legacy trying their best from him getting scored on.  

Cant confirm anything because I'm not the one behind the bench but according to Forslund, its the coaches call to hold back the forcheck which quickly puts more pressure on the defense.  And in the Canes case, it can really expose a suspect defense that isn't positionally sound,  making our goaltender have to be perfect 100% of the time (which isn't going to happen).

It's something that most teams employ when they have a lead heading into the 3rd period but again, you have to be able to trust that your forwards will come back and help defend, your defense will be positionally sound and that your goaltender will be ready for whatever gets through.  If a team struggles with confidence or if one of the three pieces doesn't do their job, you see sloppy play, lots of chasing and more than likely a collapse of the lead which is something we've seen plenty of.

Just for kicks, Id like to see what would happen if Maurice would allow the forcheckers to stay aggressive in the third and keep the defenseman up in the play when its appropriate.  If it works for two periods, why not try it for the third period just to see if it can hold back the other team who will inevitably turn up the heat and take some chances because they're behind. 

Just my 2 cents.

It is the hockey equivalent of the prevent defense, and just as much of a misnomer. Puts our guys back on their heels, gripping the stick and not moving the legs, just waiting for the inevitable to happen. I say the best bet in all of sports now is to wait until the Hurricanes are up by 3 and take the odds against them.

This is clearly a coaching thing because you can see them dropping back into a 1-2-2 or even a 1-1-3. The other team gets the zone then starts taking pot shots. Trying to sit on a 3 goal lead in the 3rd makes sense for a top defensive team with a star goalie. We are the worst defensive team in the league with a back up to the back up goalie.

It makes us tentative. It does not work for this team. The fact that Mo can't adjust to this is annoying. Unless of course it's all part of the master plan for the top draft pick....hmmmmmm, sneaky smart.

I wouldn't so much call that strategy a "trap", I'd call it the "collapse".

We don't have the type of players to make that an effective strategy.  In fact, I think the Canucks would have tied the game if Samsonov hadn't been called for the bogus high stick enabling the Canes to clear the puck without icing.  Keep applying pressure, it's hard for the other team to score when the ice is tilted the wrong way.

Well whatever they were doing in the third----------we came very close to the (Atlanta game type )collapse

again.  Bogus call on Sammy. Fans were trying to cheer them through that penalty kill.

I did notice Mo much more antimated---yelling at them even, during the timeout.

They need to fix the "playing with the lead" issue !!   PLEASE JR.

(Was a still a fun game to be at--I hollered a lot. )

WoW what a thread. Between this thread and the term "redneck hockey " I can see why we get laughed at
Why's that?

[quote name='krad wrote:

drizzle']Uh, no - what would you call it when 3-4 guys are back and only1-2 up for the entire 3rd period?

ummm defense? Trying to protect the lead? Going into a shell? Voluntarily handing over the momentum? Playing it safe?

I have no idea why the guys keep doing it because it is obvious that we have problems with teams who like to forecheck or are good at cycling the puck to wear us down. Maybe you ought to ask the coach or the players?

It has nothing to do with the trap though. The trap is a neutral zone defensive tactic in which the puck carrier gets pressured to pass the puck while everyone else tries to block all the passing lanes, in essence you either force him to cough up the puck or keep the other team from flying through the neutral zone. That's hardly what we were trying to do, not when you have three or four Canes parked out in front of Legacy trying their best from him getting scored on.  

Shame is that this is how we played against NJ and Boston in the playoffs last season. Worked, too. However, our trap isn't working this year. No one is in the passing lanes.

[quote name='topshelfavry wrote:

icecrew02']WoW what a thread. Between this thread and the term "redneck hockey " I can see why we get laughed at

Why's that?

My guess would be that icecrew is talking about the mis-use of the term trap.  It's not a trap, but I/we knew what the OP was trying to say.

Can we PLEASE stop playing the "prevent defense" in the 3rd?

What I don't know is why the complaint against redneck hockey?

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

topshelfavry wrote:

icecrew02']WoW what a thread. Between this thread and the term "redneck hockey " I can see why we get laughed at

Why's that?

My guess would be that icecrew is talking about the mis-use of the term trap.  It's not a trap, but I/we knew what the OP was trying to say.

Can we PLEASE stop playing the "prevent defense" in the 3rd?

What I don't know is why the complaint against redneck hockey?

redneck hockey got our name on the Stanley Cup so it can't be a bad thing.

Actually. I wish we were being called rednecks at this time.  Typically those types of references to this fanbase come at a time when we are kicking some serious you know what.  Bring it on.  Go Canes! woohoo.gif

Actually. I wish we were being called rednecks at this time.  Typically those types of references to this fanbase come at a time when we are kicking some serious you know what.  Bring it on.  Go Canes! woohoo.gif
Yeah, no redneck references this yearembarassed.gif