The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
DrStaal

Suggestions For New Coach

Gretzky? He was terrible in Phoenix. I'll pass on him. Don't know about Francis, I love all the guy did for us but I'd hate to see him fail as a head coach. 

Ted Nolan maybe? The Islanders didn't give him much of a chance.

Mo isn't going anywhere anytime soon............... He will be here through this year at least especially with a three year contract JR doesn't want to be paying for two coaches again... just my 02 centswink.gif

Gretzky? He was terrible in Phoenix. I'll pass on him. Don't know about Francis, I love all the guy did for us but I'd hate to see him fail as a head coach. 

Ted Nolan maybe? The Islanders didn't give him much of a chance.

Got to agree with you there.  Gretzky was a terrible coach (well not as terrible as Mo obviously) and I don't feel confident in Francis.

Ted Nolan is a proven NHL coach and has a knack for getting the most out of less (which is what we may need)

May not want to assume "everybody" wants Mo gone.  As far as Gretzky, ho hum.  He didn't do anything in Phoenix.  I don't think Francis is ready to be a head coach, and I wonder if he will ever be.  But, until we fire Mo this discussion is way too premature.  I don't think he's going anywhere this year.  My biggest concern with Mo right now and going forward is his ability to work with the younger players.  That's not been his montra, as he likes veteran teams.

Scott Bowman- There has been talk he wants another crack behind the bench, currently I believe he is the Blackhawks President of Player Personnel.

Tom Rowe- Had plenty of success in Albany.

Wayne Gretzky- He didn't have too much to work with in Phoenix.

Another consideration is finding an up and coming coach from the AHL. Doesn't have to be Daniels. Just someone who might be the next Bodreau.

Scott Bowman- There has been talk he wants another crack behind the bench, currently I believe he is the Blackhawks President of Player Personnel.

Tom Rowe- Had plenty of success in Albany.

Wayne Gretzky- He didn't have too much to work with in Phoenix.

Another consideration is finding an up and coming coach from the AHL. Doesn't have to be Daniels. Just someone who might be the next Bodreau.

Well it's not like Bodreau's philosophy is exactly rocket science, he basically just undid whatGlen Hanlon was doing and unleashed his big 3 (Semin, Ov, Backstrom). Same thing with Bylsma, he just instituted a harder skating and cyclingthe puck more approach, probably similar to what Laviolette was runninghere.  The only thing with that stuff is you better have a competentDefense to back you up when it's coming back the other way.  Might be a lot of goals scored both ways but its sure a lot more fun to watch than a trap system, yeeeck

We've got one thread wondering what next year's lines are going to look like.  We've got a thread wondering who the next coach will be.  Well, we are a third of the way through the season and we haven't fired the coach or traded/waived any players so, I ain't buying what you guys are selling.  I'll play this game this summer or if and when J.R. fires Mo.  As long as Mo has the pictures of J.R. and the sheep, it ain't happening.  I will say this for J.R., I've seen the pictures and it was a pretty sheep.

I got two words for you... Bill CowherThe Chin's strength in leadership-skills transends all means of competition.  I could even see him go out and fight a player to rally the troops himself.

Seriously though, I don't think Ron wants to coach... from what I have read in articles from the last season.  It seemed like JR talked him into helping and he just got stuck there.  I'd much rather see Mo/Ron right the ship, and not go looking for a new coach.  Whether-or-not that will happen, I don't know.

Don't bet money on Mo NOT being fired now that we have both Lavi and McCarthey on the books. If we stay within I would like to see Rowe in charge (he has taken several AHL teams to the playoffs) and let him hire his assistants. If we choose not to stay within then I would like to see what Nolan could do with this bunch (sign him to a one deal contingent on results). Put Mo in charge of $1 hot dog operations.

[quote name='Appstatecanesfan wrote:

caniac-97']Put Mo in charge of $1 hot dog operations.

Nah he'd want to keep all the old ones around and discourage getting any new ones and make that suck too

good point!!

We've got one thread wondering what next year's lines are going to look like.  We've got a thread wondering who the next coach will be.  Well, we are a third of the way through the season and we haven't fired the coach or traded/waived any players so, I ain't buying what you guys are selling.  I'll play this game this summer or if and when J.R. fires Mo.  As long as Mo has the pictures of J.R. and the sheep, it ain't happening.  I will say this for J.R., I've seen the pictures and it was a pretty sheep.
A lot of people may be missing the big picture here.  What is the problem with this team?   A lot of things.   What needs to be done?

In other organizations, if the GM wants to find out who the quitters are, who the prima donna's are, and who should stay or go - he

goes behind the bench himself.  JR should finish the year as coach if he's serious about straightening things out here.  That way he

can rely on his own insight rather than secondhand opinions.  During the summer he should hire someone from outside the family.

You're probably thinking 'but, rabbit, JR has no experience as a coach.  He'd be terrible.'   So what.  Basically, the rest of the season

doesn't matter.  With 54 games left, even if the Canes get it together for a strong close and finish 30-20-4, they'd only have 81 points.

What does matter over the last 54 games is who is still putting in the effort and who isn't.  The only way to know that is to be in the

locker room and behind the bench.  Right now, for the most part, JR is in an office during the day and in the owner's box for the game.

In my opinion, Mo is going to be part of the rebuilding process. I could be wrong, but I think that is what the gameplan is.
That is scary, I can see it now "How to play for a tie" and "Winning isn't everything, you get to wear cool duds"!!

Well, I don't think Mo is going anywhere in the 2009-2010 season.

Here's what I think. I think we have an old team and we're using the old coach to play out the string.

But in 2010-2011, it's highly possible that we will transition from an old team to a much younger one. We could have a top draft pick, a couple kids from Albany (Boychuk, Samson, Bowman, Tlusty) as well as a young core in Staal, Ward and Sutter.

To me, this screams for a coach who knows these kids, has coached them at the AHL level and can get them up to speed at the NHL level. In other words, not Mo.

I'd vote for Rowe or Daniels.

I suspect, however, that Mo will keep his job with the "injury" excuse this year and will be given a chance to prove in 2010-2011 that he can coach a younger team. Either that or they'll find him a front office job in the offseason if Mo and JR feel that it would make more sense to have Rowe/Daniels coach the young guys.

yeah...not "everyone" wants to see him go. besides - we don't need to pay 2 coaches again. mo still has time to get this thing going. the coach is to coach - but the boys need to dig down and want to make it happen for themselves.

yeah...not "everyone" wants to see him go. besides - we don't need to pay 2 coaches again. mo still has time to get this thing going. the coach is to coach - but the boys need to dig down and want to make it happen for themselves.
The boys do need to make something happen but Mo needs to change too, IF he wants to coach at this level.  The turtle strategy in the 3rd with a lead doesn't cut it.

I always find it interesting when a teams "strategy" on the ice is always attributed to the coach.  Is it remotely possible the players on the ice are doing this? i.e Taking their foot off the gas, getting tentative, battling a little less.  Mo is no idiot and "playing turtle" in consecutive games that is not working would be ludicrous for him to continue.  I therefore place the onus on thos on the ice.  I know there are Mo haters out there that never wanted him back and were just wating to pile on.  For you I say "have a happy friggin day".  mad.gif
           I for one sit in the most negative section I can think of.  They constantly get down on players, coaches etc.  When they wanted to "Mo Must GO chant" my response was "he ain't on the ice".  Just an opinion like any one elses.  As I have stated before the b*t*hing and moanin don't help a thing.  Get behind the team and cheer them back to health.   Positive attitude goes a long way and is more valuable the darker things get.

I will continue to shout down those downer people around me and enjoy any part or whole game I can.

OK have at it.

I always find it interesting when a teams "strategy" on the ice is always attributed to the coach.  Is it remotely possible the players on the ice are doing this? i.e Taking their foot off the gas, getting tentative, battling a little less.  Mo is no idiot and "playing turtle" in consecutive games that is not working would be ludicrous for him to continue.  I therefore place the onus on thos on the ice.  I know there are Mo haters out there that never wanted him back and were just wating to pile on.  For you I say "have a happy friggin day".  mad.gif

I for one sit in the most negative section I can think of.  They constantly get down on players, coaches etc.  When they wanted to "Mo Must GO chant" my response was "he ain't on the ice".  Just an opinion like any one elses.  As I have stated before the b*t*hing and moanin don't help a thing.  Get behind the team and cheer them back to health.   Positive attitude goes a long way and is more valuable the darker things get.

I will continue to shout down those downer people around me and enjoy any part or whole game I can.

OK have at it.

Isn't strategy what the coach is there for? 

I wasn't a Mo hater when he came back and I thought the teams performance down the stretch last year earned him a contract.  I do blame the "turtling" strategy on the coach.  I may be wrong and it is all the players.  If that's the case, then Mo can stay and the players can go.  I don't think I'm a downer on the team and I enjoy my time at the game, but I saw the "turtle strategy" on the ice Saturday and it almost cost the team the game.  If it's the coach, change the strategy.  If it's the players, the coach has to coach.  Either way, it comes down to the coach in this case.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

cc']

I always find it interesting when a teams "strategy" on the ice is always attributed to the coach.  Is it remotely possible the players on the ice are doing this? i.e Taking their foot off the gas, getting tentative, battling a little less.  Mo is no idiot and "playing turtle" in consecutive games that is not working would be ludicrous for him to continue.  I therefore place the onus on thos on the ice.  I know there are Mo haters out there that never wanted him back and were just wating to pile on.  For you I say "have a happy friggin day".  
mad.gif

OK have at it.

I wasn't a Mo hater when he came back and I thought the teams performance down the stretch last year earned him a contract.  I do blame the "turtling" strategy on the coach.  I may be wrong and it is all the players.  If that's the case, then Mo can stay and the players can go.  I don't think I'm a downer on the team and I enjoy my time at the game, but I saw the "turtle strategy" on the ice Saturday and it almost cost the team the game.  If it's the coach, change the strategy.  If it's the players, the coach has to coach.  Either way, it comes down to the coach in this case.

It is definitely strategy and lets use the Buffalo game as an example.  What I saw was this.  We started sending in only one forechecker, keeping 1 or 2 high forwards at all times.  Buffalo adjusted, seeing the change in style to an even more defensive style than earlier in the game and the lack of offensive threat.  They countered by eliminating their high forward and pushing him all the way in for a 3 player forecheck, AND pinching D-men, with little fear of repercussion.  Inevitable, the play was all in our end and they scored.

Opposing coaches see this strategy and realize they can dump in extra guys in the 3rd with impugnity.

Contrast this with Lav and what he did, was attempt to pile on, keeping the foot on the gas.  It did not always work, and he got in trouble with mgmt for continuing to press even when leading (direct criticism from JR on this point).  However, I personally don't see this as the reason we were losing games, as this same style worked when we won the cup.

Ultimately, we need a far better group of defensive players in order to play a lockdown defensive game.  This team was built spending the majority of money to 3 to 4 lines of forwards difficult to deal with.  The strength of this team *should* be that we would be difficult to line match against, coming in waves of relatively equally skilled forwards.

The coach is *supposed* to be able to look at the personnel he has and devise the best possible strategy to win with the players he has.  Not to dogmattically stick to his strategy of choice.  Playing a lockdown defensive game with this defensive corp is suicide.  The team is not built to match the strategy.  Look at what typical spending is for western conference teams that play shutdown D on the defensive corp and you'll see that the spending is tilted a lot more toward the D than we do.

Just my opinion.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

cc']

I always find it interesting when a teams "strategy" on the ice is always attributed to the coach.  Is it remotely possible the players on the ice are doing this? i.e Taking their foot off the gas, getting tentative, battling a little less.  Mo is no idiot and "playing turtle" in consecutive games that is not working would be ludicrous for him to continue.  I therefore place the onus on thos on the ice.  I know there are Mo haters out there that never wanted him back and were just wating to pile on.  For you I say "have a happy friggin day".  
mad.gif

OK have at it.

I think there is no doubt that the "protect the lead" strategy is the coach's. The guys are not simply less aggressive, they are dropping back into a zone, not only sending only one forchecker, but not even sending that one guy past the opposition's blue line. The rest of the game there are two forcheckers, one deep on the puck and one still inside the other guy's blueline, then three guys back.

Look at it from a bird's eye view and they are dropping way back. That is a coaching decision.

The thing is, for many (maybe even most) teams this is the percentage play. But it clearly fails with this group. Maybe there is too much Lavi left in the team, but when this team sits back the get on their heels they not only lay down, but they also roll over. What I would like to see from Mo is this realization. For this team, playing not to lose almost guarantee's a loss. What is ironic is the number of games where the rest of the game we are a solid team.

We need defensive responsibility, but this team needs to keep attacking until the final horn.