The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
DrStaal

Suggestions For New Coach

Remkin, did we just more or less say the same thing?  Shocking.

What's even more amazing is that we essentially typed at the same time. Freaky.

There are a ton of problems that I won't lay on Mo (injuries, Brindy situation, A. Ward, etc) but strategy falls directly in his lap.  He has the ability to change that if nothing else.

[quote name='hag65 wrote:

super-dave-1 wrote:

cc']

I always find it interesting when a teams "strategy" on the ice is always attributed to the coach.  Is it remotely possible the players on the ice are doing this? i.e Taking their foot off the gas, getting tentative, battling a little less.  Mo is no idiot and "playing turtle" in consecutive games that is not working would be ludicrous for him to continue.  I therefore place the onus on thos on the ice.  I know there are Mo haters out there that never wanted him back and were just wating to pile on.  For you I say "have a happy friggin day".  
mad.gif

I for one sit in the most negative section I can think of.  They constantly get down on players, coaches etc.  When they wanted to "Mo Must GO chant" my response was "he ain't on the ice".  Just an opinion like any one elses.  As I have stated before the b*t*hing and moanin don't help a thing.  Get behind the team and cheer them back to health.   Positive attitude goes a long way and is more valuable the darker things get.

I will continue to shout down those downer people around me and enjoy any part or whole game I can.

OK have at it.

Isn't strategy what the coach is there for? 

I wasn't a Mo hater when he came back and I thought the teams performance down the stretch last year earned him a contract.  I do blame the "turtling" strategy on the coach.  I may be wrong and it is all the players.  If that's the case, then Mo can stay and the players can go.  I don't think I'm a downer on the team and I enjoy my time at the game, but I saw the "turtle strategy" on the ice Saturday and it almost cost the team the game.  If it's the coach, change the strategy.  If it's the players, the coach has to coach.  Either way, it comes down to the coach in this case.

Opposing coaches see this strategy and realize they can dump in extra guys in the 3rd with impugnity.

I agree with your entire, excellent post, but this line sums up exactly what happened vs. Vancouver just the other night. In the post game interviews the coach and half the players commented on how they were throwing everyone forward, 4 even 5 guys. It's like a football team sending no rushers at the quarterback. Yes it's nice to have 11 defenders, but if the quarterback can just sit there and wait he's going to find someone eventually.

Normally a team will counterattack and get behind the other guy's defense, but we don't do that. We're just clearing the puck. Pretty soon they're going to bring the goalie up to center ice.

I respectfully disagree.  For whatever reason I place the onus on the players to execute on the field.

To borrow from another sport same players,coach etc. Pittsburg Steelers, New York Giants. Major meltdowns.

I applaud your stab a simplifying this to one person.  It is never that simple.

Agree to disagree.

This isn't even debatable at this point. 03 Canes ... His Toronto years and now all 3 teams lost a TON of games in the 3rd. Hell I remember when we were losing to Mo like 3-1 or 4-1 and won the game in the 3rd. I also vividly remember how bad we wanted Irbe over Weekes back because we kept losing games in the 3rd and thought we didn't have a clutch enough goalie to win games.  

Same issues completely different rosters. After that I am done trying to find evidence, I am ready to convict. 10+ NHL seasons and he's under .500 in his career that sucks... I mean really sucks.

This isn't even debatable at this point. 03 Canes ... His Toronto years and now all 3 teams lost a TON of games in the 3rd. Hell I remember when we were losing to Mo like 3-1 or 4-1 and won the game in the 3rd. I also vividly remember how bad we wanted Irbe over Weekes back because we kept losing games in the 3rd and thought we didn't have a clutch enough goalie to win games.  

Same issues completely different rosters. After that I am done trying to find evidence, I am ready to convict. 10+ NHL seasons and he's under .500 in his career that sucks... I mean really sucks.

I agree and have been preaching that all along.  I don't personally have anything against Mo but his record speaks volumes as a hockey coach.

C'mon now.  There is always a debate to be had.  Stats are wonderful things are they not?  Gotta love them numbers.

I have to assume the "strategy" at the end of last season has been forgotten? 

C'mon now.  There is always a debate to be had.  Stats are wonderful things are they not?  Gotta love them numbers.

I have to assume the "strategy" at the end of last season has been forgotten? 

I don't know, maybe PK would call that "a perfect storm" too!!  Just not like the other one!

I am just glad Lavi is off the books as is McCarthey, that will make the decision to fire Mo less costly.

For the record, I've not been a MO MUST GO guy.  Particularly to the point of being almost obnoxious about it - like some on here. 

However, I do admit my patience is wearing thin.  But, I just don't see how you can lay all the blame on the coach for the current situation.  JR put the team together, so if you blame Mo, you gotta give JR his share of the responsibility. 

With that said, his record doesn't bother me as much as his belief you win with a veteran team.  If we go with youth, like it looks like we are, then he ain't the guy unless he has made some miraculous rediscovery.  That's why it has bothered me from the getgo that JR signed him to a 3-year deal knowing his philosophy.

I don't think we will see a change this year, but the Lavi signing might make it a little easier to make a change after the season.  But, what do I know anyway?

I've never said that Mo was the whole problem.  I said a couple of posts earlier in this thread that there was a lot that Mo wasn't responsible for like the Brindy situation, A. Ward, injuries, etc.  I still have issues with his strategies of playing a defensive game when ahead and things like limiting Sutter's time early this season when it was obvious that he was earning the time.  He doesn't have the players to play the shut down game and a coach has to play the cards he's been dealt.  Mo keeps trying to go "all in" with a pair of deuces.

I've never said that Mo was the whole problem.  I said a couple of posts earlier in this thread that there was a lot that Mo wasn't responsible for like the Brindy situation, A. Ward, injuries, etc.  I still have issues with his strategies of playing a defensive game when ahead and things like limiting Sutter's time early this season when it was obvious that he was earning the time.  He doesn't have the players to play the shut down game and a coach has to play the cards he's been dealt.  Mo keeps trying to go "all in" with a pair of deuces.
I don't think those are deuces, more than likely Jokers or the instruction card with the deck.

Well all I said was that Mo is calling the 4 corners defense at the end of the game. Now that management is finally facing up to the Brind'Amour elephant we can better judge Mo stand alone. I am predicting a surprising run soon.

Wasn't necessarilly referring to you super-dave, mainly those who follow up every post that has something of substance to say about the coaching situation with some one-liner intended to jab away at Maurice.  After a while, it becomes almost obnoxious, at least for me. 

Well all I said was that Mo is calling the 4 corners defense at the end of the game. Now that management is finally facing up to the Brind'Amour elephant we can better judge Mo stand alone. I am predicting a surprising run soon.
Your off the hook too Remkin.  tongue.gif

Must be me then!! Mo Must go!!
LOL.  The thing is, if one is willing to put all the blame on Mo for what's happened this year, then one should be willing to give him all the credit for last year's run.  But, that may be a little too much for some.  

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

caniac-97']Must be me then!! Mo Must go!!

LOL.  The thing is, if one is willing to put all the blame on Mo for what's happened this year, then one should be willing to give him all the credit for last year's run.  But, that may be a little too much for some.  

He gets partial credit, we needed the defense tweaked and he did that, he left the offense alone but then he rode Cam during the ECF instead of bringing in Leights.  Maybe the results would have been the same but we will never know, he rode an injured goalie into the ground.  If Cam was hurt then Leights should have gone in for a game or two and just maybe we would have gotten a little further.  And btw, JR doesn't get a free pass!

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

coastal_caniac wrote:

caniac-97']Must be me then!! Mo Must go!!

He gets partial credit, we needed the defense tweaked and he did that, he left the offense alone but then he rode Cam during the ECF instead of bringing in Leights.  Maybe the results would have been the same but we will never know, he rode an injured goalie into the ground.  If Cam was hurt then Leights should have gone in for a game or two and just maybe we would have gotten a little further.  And btw, JR doesn't get a free pass!

So, now that you've expanded your thinking process, it logically follows that Mo should only take partial blame for this year?  Or is it still just Mo Must Go?  smile.gif

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

caniac-97 wrote:

coastal_caniac']LOL.  The thing is, if one is willing to put all the blame on Mo for what's happened this year, then one should be willing to give him all the credit for last year's run.  But, that may be a little too much for some.  

So, now that you've expanded your thinking process, it logically follows that Mo should only take partial blame for this year?  Or is it still just Mo Must Go?  smile.gif

Oh, Mo must definitely go.  Made up the signs and working on the Mo Must Go dance!! LOL

It's like this Coastal, we have two problems this year.   Motivation and Leadership, motivation is Mo's job and Leadership is Brindy's.  Brindy sits tonight because of the lack of leadership IMO.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

coastal_caniac wrote:

caniac-97']He gets partial credit, we needed the defense tweaked and he did that, he left the offense alone but then he rode Cam during the ECF instead of bringing in Leights.  Maybe the results would have been the same but we will never know, he rode an injured goalie into the ground.  If Cam was hurt then Leights should have gone in for a game or two and just maybe we would have gotten a little further.  And btw, JR doesn't get a free pass!

So, now that you've expanded your thinking process, it logically follows that Mo should only take partial blame for this year?  Or is it still just Mo Must Go?  
smile.gif

Oh, Mo must definitely go.  Made up the signs and working on the Mo Must Go dance!! LOL

It's like this Coastal, we have two problems this year.   Motivation and Leadership, motivation is Mo's job and Leadership is Brindy's.  Brindy sits tonight because of the lack of leadership IMO.

Wait, I thought Mo was leadership and Brindy was motivation?  I'm confused.

Festivus for the rest of us, what happens after the airing of the grievances?? is it beating up someone obviously weaker than you?

the way we played tonight im not shure i should of started this thread

I think the problem has been injuries and a few parts on the team no longer working out.  Does everyone have some responsibility for the season including the coaching staff?  Sure, but with Mo at the helm, we've been to two Eastern Conference Finals and a Stanley Cup Final.  I think it snowballed into a mental thing with the team.  Hopefully, it will be over soon and we can watch a nice run before the season is over.  

the way we played tonight im not shure i should of started this thread
LOL!!  It's all good.  I'm just in the minorty is all, thinking the coach is not the whole problem, and we can turn this thing around pretty fast.  If not this season, going forward, not a multi-year thing.   I guess "Mo Must Go" isn't the easy solution for me, but to each his or her own.  

Of couse, I was a Babchuk and Seidenburg supporter also.