The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
DrStaal

Suggestions For New Coach

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

DrStaal']the way we played tonight im not shure i should of started this thread

LOL!!  It's all good.  I'm just in the minorty is all, thinking the coach is not the whole problem, and we can turn this thing around pretty fast.  If not this season, going forward, not a multi-year thing.   I guess "Mo Must Go" isn't the easy solution for me, but to each his or her own.  

Of couse, I was a Babchuk and Seidenburg supporter also.

For the right price I was a Seidenberg supporter to but his "agents" head was in the sky.  

Alright all you Mo haters:

We have to keep him here.  The reasons are multi-fold:

1.  We don't want to be paying 2 coaches again, revenues are down.

2.  We need to lose.

3.  Every sport needs a good bad guy for the fans, and since there really isn't one on our team, y'all can focus your angst on Mo.

Yep, that about covers it.  We bring another coach, a few more rats in here, and next thing you know we miss out on the playoffs by a point and pick 13-14 again....that won't be any good.  We need the number 1 draft pick, there is absolutely no sense salvaging this season.

And then, you give Mo a chance next year with the new faces, and if it doesn't work out, then you fire him.

That is all.

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

cc']

I always find it interesting when a teams "strategy" on the ice is always attributed to the coach.  Is it remotely possible the players on the ice are doing this? i.e Taking their foot off the gas, getting tentative, battling a little less.  Mo is no idiot and "playing turtle" in consecutive games that is not working would be ludicrous for him to continue.  I therefore place the onus on thos on the ice.  I know there are Mo haters out there that never wanted him back and were just wating to pile on.  For you I say "have a happy friggin day".  
mad.gif

I for one sit in the most negative section I can think of.  They constantly get down on players, coaches etc.  When they wanted to "Mo Must GO chant" my response was "he ain't on the ice".  Just an opinion like any one elses.  As I have stated before the b*t*hing and moanin don't help a thing.  Get behind the team and cheer them back to health.   Positive attitude goes a long way and is more valuable the darker things get.

I will continue to shout down those downer people around me and enjoy any part or whole game I can.

OK have at it.

Isn't strategy what the coach is there for? 

I wasn't a Mo hater when he came back and I thought the teams performance down the stretch last year earned him a contract.  I do blame the "turtling" strategy on the coach.  I may be wrong and it is all the players.  If that's the case, then Mo can stay and the players can go.  I don't think I'm a downer on the team and I enjoy my time at the game, but I saw the "turtle strategy" on the ice Saturday and it almost cost the team the game.  If it's the coach, change the strategy.  If it's the players, the coach has to coach.  Either way, it comes down to the coach in this case.

Did the turtle strategy cause  the team to allow back to back goals God knows how many times this year within 2 minutes? That can not be attributed to the coach(s) at this level. In Pee Wee you may have to rally your kids and tell them not to let that one goal cause them to let down their guard but not a pro hockey player. That lies clearly on the shoulders of the guys on the ice. Now back to your previously scheduled Mo must go talk...  

How about JEFF DANIELS of the affiliate Albany River Rats? They are playing a pretty decent year under him, not to mention he played with the Canes and knows how the franchise operates.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

coastal_caniac']

Okay Batman and Robin, I give up.

here's a video of the mo must go dance!!  we are still ironing out the rough spots.

Haha, I'd like to see the dynamic duo of Batman and Robin behind the bench.

[quote name='topshelfavry wrote:

coastal_caniac']

You say that like it would be a bad thing!!  I would put Stormy in goal, any puck that gets past that deserves to go in.  I would petition the league to have Ron the Ref call all home games and half the away ones.  Storm Squad could give new meaning to face off!!

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

topshelfavry wrote:

coastal_caniac']

You say that like it would be a bad thing!!  I would put Stormy in goal, any puck that gets past that deserves to go in.  I would petition the league to have Ron the Ref call all home games and half the away ones.  Storm Squad could give new meaning to face off!!

Somehow I just don't see you doing any better than Maurice behind the bench wink.gif

[quote name='topshelfavry wrote:

caniac-97 wrote:

topshelfavry']

Somehow I just don't see you doing any better than Maurice behind the bench wink.gif

But it is comforting to me to know that I can do no worse!!

Did the turtle strategy cause  the team to allow back to back goals God knows how many times this year within 2 minutes? That can not be attributed to the coach(s) at this level. In Pee Wee you may have to rally your kids and tell them not to let that one goal cause them to let down their guard but not a pro hockey player. That lies clearly on the shoulders of the guys on the ice. Now back to your previously scheduled Mo must go talk...  

Then what is the coach's responsibility?  If all the blame for the "turtle strategy" falls on the players, why have a coach at all?

This isn't a Mo must go thread.  Somebody started it looking for suggestions for the new coach which is a little premature at this point.  It has morphed into what the present coach is doing wrong.  There's plenty of blame to go around.  J.R. for  putting this mess together.  Players for under performing.  Mo for his coaching errors for which I perceive several (turtle strategy, over using Brindy, under using Sutter, etc.).   These issues I have with Mo definitely fall under the control of the coach.

Back to my question; if strategy isn't the coach's responsibility, who's is it?  What is the coach's responsibility?  Does he make out the lineup and throw pucks on the ice?

In the spirit of Festivus, it's time for airing of grievances.  Next comes the feats of strength.

bag12day']

Then what is the coach's responsibility?  If all the blame for the "turtle strategy" falls on the players, why have a coach at all?

This isn't a Mo must go thread.  Somebody started it looking for suggestions for the new coach which is a little premature at this point.  It has morphed into what the present coach is doing wrong.  There's plenty of blame to go around.  J.R. for  putting this mess together.  Players for under performing.  Mo for his coaching errors for which I perceive several (turtle strategy, over using Brindy, under using Sutter, etc.).   These issues I have with Mo definitely fall under the control of the coach.

Back to my question; if strategy isn't the coach's responsibility, who's is it?  What is the coach's responsibility?  Does he make out the lineup and throw pucks on the ice?

In the spirit of Festivus, it's time for airing of grievances.  Next comes the feats of strength.

OK I'll stand corrected... But the opening statement form the post creator was" Since we all agree Mo must go..." My Badeek.gif

Now strategy... It is the coaches responsibility to have a strategy and communicate what that is to the players and it is up to them to implement it to the extent they understand what and how the strategy will work. My point is the back to back goals that have plagued us this year have nothing to do with strategy, turtle or otherwise, but rather a lack of execution of anything resembling "get back to work after we make a stupid mistake or have a bad break". I don't think that Mo or Ronnie or fricking Scottie Bowman could do anything to change that... That comes from your veteran leaders or not in our case.

I most certainly agree there is much more than enough blame to go around to everyone for the lack of Stellar performance this year...and yes I do live under a rock and no i have no idea what this festivus is. Is that like the mexican fair in Raleigh this week?

bag12day']...and yes I do live under a rock and no i have no idea what this festivus is. Is that like the mexican fair?in Raleigh this week?

??

If the moderators will allow this digression, I feel it necessary to?ensure that our members are properly educated.

??

Having significantly derailed this thread already I am not sure if I feel mo educated ( get it?) or much stupider for having spent 3 minutes of my life watching that!

The list of available, potentially great coaches is a short one.

Karmanos will go the "cheap route" again if some some odd reason they decide to "promote" Maurice to an office job. Look for an inside promotion.

And to all those people who think the job belongs to Francis, be careful what you wish for. Do you REALLY want people calling for his job a few years down the road because the team stinks? Gretzky anyone? I openly cast my vote that Francis is NOT the man for the job.

The list of available, potentially great coaches is a short one.

Karmanos will go the "cheap route" again if some some odd reason they decide to "promote" Maurice to an office job. Look for an inside promotion.

And to all those people who think the job belongs to Francis, be careful what you wish for. Do you REALLY want people calling for his job a few years down the road because the team stinks? Gretzky anyone? I openly cast my vote that Francis is NOT the man for the job.

I don't understand the fascination with Gretzky as a coach.  He coached the Coyotes for 4 seasons and never made the playoffs.  His record was 143/161/24. 

If we can have a 20 year old Gretzky to play, I'm in for that.  If you want him on the bench, I'll pass.  The Great One refers to playing ability, not coaching.

TheBigKahuna']The list of available, potentially great coaches is a short one.

And to all those people who think the job belongs to Francis, be careful what you wish for. Do you REALLY want people calling for his job a few years down the road because the team stinks?
Gretzky anyone
? I openly cast my vote that Francis is NOT the man for the job.

I don't understand the fascination with Gretzky as a coach.  He coached the Coyotes for 4 seasons and never made the playoffs.  His record was 143/161/24. 

If we can have a 20 year old Gretzky to play, I'm in for that.  If you want him on the bench, I'll pass.  The Great One refers to playing ability, not coaching.

Agreed, just because somebody was a great player doesn't mean they will be a great coach. Gretzky clearly proved this, and the Coyotes are actually playing well w/out him behind the bench. It would suck if Francis was given the job and somewhere down the road people would be calling for his firing considering the history he's had with us.

One can only wonder where we would be today if things hadn't gone so medicore w/ Lavi after the Cup win.

Gretzky would be among my LAST choices for coach.  I would take five years of Mo/Ron over one year of Gretzky.   He was hired as a stunt to get people to come to games, not for his managerial capabilities.  We don't need to do that.

I have a feeling there will be some better people coming available as the season goes on.  No need to make a decision now.

Anyone  that hasn't been part of this organization in the past. Seems like it doesn't matter whom is coaching the guys will not change their style of play. We look no different with Mo than we did with LAVS We need someone that can motivate these guys. No more "players coaches". A man that has a big disipline side to him. Someone that will sit a guy in a heartbeat.

No Mo

No Rowe

No Ron

NO MO RONS

Clean HOUSE---CLEAN SLATE --TIME TO REBUILD AROUND OUR FEW SOMEDAY ALLSTARS (I HOPE)