The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
woos

Bryan Rodney

Rodney's been used as the first call up over the last several weeks.  However, Mo stated in an interview, I believe during or after the game yesterday, that the team planned on looking at several defensemen in addition to Rodney in the near future.  He indicated although Rodney may have played very well while being called up, they would be cycling players in and out of the lineup, i.e. Rodney, Carson, Harrison, and McBain.  Hope that's what you are looking for, the main point being it has nothing to do with Rodney's play.

The NHL is kinda like the MLB in this situation. You'll see guys called up to the big leagues for a couple of games to either fill in for an injured player, or get some expirence in. Then they'll get called down again to "fine-tune" their skills a little more. In Rodney's case I don't know the exact reason but it probably falls along some of these lines, as well as the points c_c said above me.

I think Forslund mentioned that the coaches didn't like some of the defensive aspects of Rodney's game. As such he is not the obvious every time call up guy and they want to rotate a few guys in with Corvo out for so long. See what a few other guys might bring and give them some experience at the NHL level.

I wanted to know what any of you thought of his defensive play. I isolated on him and watched him alot last game and liked his defense. That is why when I heard MO say that on the post game that he had some defensive lapses that I was suprised. I thought he had a really solid game. Did anyone else see any defensive lapses?

He certainly does not fall down like Andrew Alberts does all of the time. I know Alberts hits alot but he and Ward get bottled up in our end so much. I would just prefer to have someone on the defensive end that can skate it out. And that is not Harrison who got called up. I thought that is one of the dimensions that Dennis Seidenberg brought to the table that we really miss. Any thoughts about that?

Harrison also adds some toughness to the lineup which will be needed against the Penguins and Devils games. You never know NJ might want to send us their thanks for knocking them out of the playoffs much like Boston did earlier this year. Then you also have the Capitals game and Ovechkin will be back, maybe we send him a little message as well. Most of all though I think they are just going to rotate a few guys and get a feel for who they like and want to have around for the rebuild.

Harrison also adds some toughness to the lineup which will be needed against the Penguins and Devils games. You never know NJ might want to send us their thanks for knocking them out of the playoffs much like Boston did earlier this year. Then you also have the Capitals game and Ovechkin will be back, maybe we send him a little message as well. Most of all though I think they are just going to rotate a few guys and get a feel for who they like and want to have around for the rebuild.

Now that we called Carson up too,I suspect you are right.  We want to take a good look at our Albany D core to see who we want to keep, who is ready and who could be traded if needed.  Of course money is always a factor in who we bring up and how many games they play.

This move is NOT to save money.  He's great value at close to league minimum.  Which is soarly needed with the contracts of A.Ward, Pitkanen, Wallin, Samsonov, Cole, and Brind'Amour taking up payroll while underperforming.  It's auditions in an attempt to see how much junk can be moved out of town. 

They know Rodney can play here, each time he gets called up it's to replace an offensive player and he usually plays top line minutes and PP to an NHL standard.  It's only a matter of time before he's a mainstay.  His defensive play is not an issue, especially for a guy that will be relied upon to produce on the PP and get the puck moving.  I'd rather that at 500k than a guy banging the puck off the glass for $2.5m.  Only problem is his fulltime road to the NHL goes through Corvo and Pitkanen at this point.  He's not going to replace a defensive banger. 

It'll be interesting to see what other call ups can step up and make other roster players expendable.  Remember the big thing these guys have going for themselves is that they are cheap.  If they can do an adequate job, given the current place CAR occupies in the standings, that will give JR plenty of food for thought.

I wanted to know what any of you thought of his defensive play. 

Aha, I misunderstood your question.  I thought you were asking why he's been sent back and forth when there's few days off until he may be needed again.

I think he looks really good and doesn't look out of place.  Every so often he makes a mistake but who doesn't on this team.  He looks ready to be here full time to me and will get better and better and the season goes on.  We never have 6 healthy veteran defenseman at any time so there will probably always be a spot.  Like others have mentioned, Forslund said that other defensemen will get their chances to show what they can do but so far, he looks like he may have earned a long stay.