The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
nhbeast

Leighton on waivers

Problems is Leighton is on a one-way contract. So if nobody takes him, Manny goes to Albany. This doesn't do much for Leighton's morale (knowing that he was put up for sale), even though he'll have more to prove, so I wouldn't expect all that much ice time for him in the near future.

Problems is Leighton is on a one-way contract. So if nobody takes him, Manny goes to Albany. This doesn't do much for Leighton's morale (knowing that he was put up for sale), even though he'll have more to prove, so I wouldn't expect all that much ice time for him in the near future.
How is this so??? Conboy has a one way and he is in Albany... They just have to pay him his NHL salary

Not necessarily, one way just means he makes NHL wages in Albany.  Manny doesn't "have" to go.

I find myself feelin a little sorry for the guy. I like him just fine but he just hasn't produced like we needed him to. He hasn't been given much confidence here. I hope somebody does pick him up and I wish him well if he goes anywhere.

I find myself feelin a little sorry for the guy. I like him just fine but he just hasn't produced like we needed him to. He hasn't been given much confidence here. I hope somebody does pick him up and I wish him well if he goes anywhere.
I think this goes back to the coaching staff, if they don't have confidence in him then how will he have confidence in himself?  Barasso is suppose to be fixing issues like that!!

I wish him well...but I just haven't felt that comfortable with him....don't know what it is about Legace...but I like him, think he is a good fit...he is a Stanley Cup winner too...great move...Canes will get back in this thing. 

I have always liked Leights.  I liked him when he played in Norfolk and always thought he had NHL possibilities. But it hasn't worked out.At least not yet.   The story said a final decision on who will stay hasn't been made and indicated it could be a while yet.  But I think Legace is going to be the backup and Leights is going one way or another.

[quote name='caniac-97 wrote:

canesfan06']I find myself feelin a little sorry for the guy. I like him just fine but he just hasn't produced like we needed him to. He hasn't been given much confidence here. I hope somebody does pick him up and I wish him well if he goes anywhere.

I think this goes back to the coaching staff, if they don't have confidence in him then how will he have confidence in himself?  Barasso is suppose to be fixing issues like that!!

i like Leighton, too.  seems like a really likable kid...but you can't "fix" what's not there.  at some point someone just has to realize that maybe he isn't the right one for us.   would he flourish with another team in the NHL?  who knows....but it's a known fact that if he goes back to albany, he's going to get to play.  and probably do really well.  best of luck to him wherever he lands. smile.gif

His problem of taking himself out of the net to block the first shot attempt has yet to resolve itself over the last few years.  Frequently he goes so far out trying to be in position for a block hes out of position when the shot comes. 

I hope he gets a chance somewhere, but his untimely injury this year hurt us when we could have used him for a few games and he could have gotten into a groove. 

This is not his first shot at the NHL and I hope I am wrong, but he may only be an AHL goaltender. 

When we drafted Justin Peters he was supposed to be full of potential.  In my opnion he too needs to be moving along, or sadly moving out. 

I hope he does get picked up somewhere he can get some ice time. He is a better goalie than i think most people give him credit for.
Agreed. 

I think Michael gets the crap end of the hockey stick because he is the back-up to Cam. Now, don't get me wrong, I would not give Cam up for the world and I think that Manny is the #2 we needed for this team.  But remember, Leights was awesome in Albany.  I hope Michael gets to go be a #1 somewhere, he deserves that chance and certainly was not given the fair chance here he should have been. Had Michael played more, he would have shown us all what an awesome player he is capable of being.

Leights, hope things turn out well for you!

Class guy, and I wish him the best of luck. The upside is maybe he'll get to play elsewhere. His only upside here is as Cam's backup forever, with few opportunities to shine or play. He'll get paid regardless, and get a chance to prove himself somewhere.

Money wise, both Leighton and Legacy have the same salary, $500k.

So it as far as the cap, it doesn't matter which one gets sent down.

Leighton deserves a chance somewhere.

Leighton has cleared waivers.  Looks like Legace will the guy moving forward but Leighton will be around until Cam is ready to return (which I still think isn't as close as some may believe).

From the N&0:

Goaltender Michael Leighton has cleared waivers and remains with the Canes.

Leighton was placed on waivers Monday by the Canes. He was on the bench and Manny Legace's backup Monday night as the Canes topped the Penguins.

General manager Jim Rutherford said Monday that the team might use a 30-day window to decide on whether to again place Leighton on waivers or reassign him to Albany (AHL).  He also could be loaned to another team needing a goalie.

He also could be loaned to another team needing a goalie.

What is your interpretation of that comment?  The word "loaned" is an interesting choice.  I'm thinking if we found another team that wanted him, we would not want him back which is what that word suggests.

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

topshelfavry']

What is your interpretation of that comment?  The word "loaned" is an interesting choice.  I'm thinking if we found another team that wanted him, we would not want him back which is what that word suggests.

We did that to Irbe, sent him "on loan" to a ECHL team.  In layman's terms, we pay his salary but he plays for another team.

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

topshelfavry']

Not a clue and it is a very interesting choice of words.  Could it have something to do with a GM agreement for a future deal involving something completely different?  "We'll loan you Leighton for a period of  x-amount of time so we can move forward with another deal closer to the trade deadline when we'll both be ready?"  Maybe there's an AHL team in need of experienced goaltending so they can move a player up to the NHL level?  Sounds kind of complicated to me and I wonder what the rules are about something like this?