The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
msgtcody

Who Should Be The Next Captain?

All I can say is, THANK YOU JACK JOHNSON. We are so blessed to have a guy like Gleason on our team. Tonight was the best example. This guy's face was basically torn off tonight by a puck, AND HE DECIDED TO COME BACK. AND he scores a shorthanded goal to send the team in overtime.. UNBELIEVABLE

I was wishy washy regarding the Staal versus Gleason thing that has been brought up this year, but no more.

Tim gets better and grittier by the game.  He gets my vote.

Lately Eric has been just looking softer and wimpier.  I know Tripp keeps trying to buck him up in the toughness and persistence department, but I'm not so sure.  I'd like to see a little growl from him.  Not necessarily fighting and massive hitting, but some growl, even amongst his own team.

What are the prerequisites for a captaincy? Tim had an impressive game last night and I'm not saying that he is not a character player, but surely there must be more to a captaincy than playing through injuries, coming back in a game with stitches and not backing down from scraps. Hell, in that case most hockey players would be wearing a C.

Yes many hockey players play through injury but how many of them do it well?  It was obvious LaRose was battling something and the same with Staal.  They were unproductive and there effort was subpar IMO.  Staal is coming on of late but his past shows he can be rather inconsistent in the effort category on the ice.  Quit telling me he needs the big winger to help him.  You have to play the cards you are dealt.   

It takes a special individual to rise above injury all the while being productive (all ready at career high offensive production in December) and Gleason is accomplishing it. He wears his emotions on his sleeve and as far as I am concerned this team could use a shot of emotional leadership.  I am tired of the same old stock answers out of Brindy and Staal.  Furthermore,  I hope the US Olympic committee gives him a chance.

45, 30, 38, 40 goals the past 4 seasons, a cup title (leading playoff scorer) and an ECF run (led team in scoring)  numerous huge clutch goals, and played every game for 4+ years is inconsistent effort.  But you score a goal with a cut on your face (despite getting smoked by semin a few minutes earlier in a loss), take a few five minute majors (which results in more aaron ward icetime!) and people are ready to hand you the key to the city.

Watch Staal control the puck along the boards with two men on him for 15 seconds multiple times a game before getting a shot on goal.  Then watch every other hurricane get the puck behind the net and turn it over immediately.  Ruutuu sure does hit sometimes, but try to count to 3 while he has the puck in the offensive zone.  You'll never make it.

And the Big Winger isn't for Staal.  Its for the Hurricanes, because its in the teams best interest for the guy who is open when Staal is being double teamed to not be Patrick Dwyer.  Staal gets paid 8 million a year no matter who it is.

Watch Staal control the puck along the boards with two men on him for 15 seconds multiple times a game before getting a shot on goal. 

Heck, I'd be more impressed to see him backcheck when coming back up the ice on defense. Just once, and not in the playoffs only. This young man needs to figure out how to have a more consistent, game to game, effort. That is all a lot of us have been screaming about for 2-3 years. Sure, he's great with the puck when he is OFFENSIVE minded, but great players play both ends of the ice. Watch him miss a shot, and he stands still and throws his head back in exasperation while the play has moved on. It is annoying.

Heck, maybe Gleason wouldn't have been smoked by Semin if a forward would have checked the guy in the neutral zone. Staal can't even tie up his man (if he even realizes he's supposed to) in and around the net. How many times have we seen him fail at this? Too many.

At this point, Timmy gets my vote.

But, then again, even Jagr had the C for awhile, although it didn't do diddly-squat to motivate him to play every game.

What are the prerequisites for a captaincy? Tim had an impressive game last night and I'm not saying that he is not a character player, but surely there must be more to a captaincy than playing through injuries, coming back in a game with stitches and not backing down from scraps. Hell, in that case most hockey players would be wearing a C.
Tim had an impressive game last night, yes.  Tim plays like that every night regardless of whether he gets stitches or not, but after what I've seen from Gleason this season, he gets my vote for captain.  I think Brindy should rip it off his jersey and personally place it on Timmy.  Staal doesn't seem to have the "it" quality, whatever "it" is.  I can't define "it" but I know "it" when I see it.  I don't think the qualifications should necessarily be how many goals you score, but if it does, Gleason has more goals than Staal does this year.  When has Staal been the outright difference in a game this season?

Timmy goes knee to knee with Ovie and everyone on the team says that almost nobody comes back that night but Tim knew the team was a d-man down.  Timmy takes a slap shot off his FACE and leaves the ice in pain.  Wally finds a nose in the equipment bag and has Pete sew the thing on.  They put a fish bowl on his head and he heads back out there.  Sure he scores the game tying goal, un-assisted, short handed, and with the bowl on his head but many will forget the great defensive play he made at the end of the 2nd period on Semin's goal.  He got back and got in Semin's way only to have Cam somehow put the puck right back in Semin's lap.

Gleason is the Rocky Balboa of this team.  "Cut me Mick".

Since Tim wears the 'A' (when one of the other guys are out), the organization clearly sees him as a leader.

Granted, Staal's leadership is different being a forward, so it is hard to compare based on game performance.   It has to go beyond that.

D-men in any sport always get hosed in recognition (see: Heisman trophy -- will they surprise us this year?)

Ultimately, there are things we'll never see or know (behind the scenes) that will make this decision final. 

All I can say is, THANK YOU JACK JOHNSON. We are so blessed to have a guy like Gleason on our team. Tonight was the best example. This guy's face was basically torn off tonight by a puck, AND HE DECIDED TO COME BACK. AND he scores a shorthanded goal to send the team in overtime.. UNBELIEVABLE
you mean a beautiful shorthanded goal.. right? Gleason for "C". All the way!!!!

He's actually quite vocal too. He doesn't shy away from the media when it comes to the team playing badly. He steps right up and tells it like it is. Sound's like captian material to me.

Interesting discussion. Clearly Gleason's stock is very high immediately after last night's heroics in a season that hasn't had much going for it. On a pure blood and guts level it would be Gleason hands down. But there is also something to a player being able to put the team on his back and single handedly win games. Staal can and has done that (not so much this year obviously). Staal is also the heir apparent, so it would be a bit of a blow not to get it. He is still our best player hands down (possibly excepting Ward).

As for playing with injury, it is somewhat relative. Hey, what Gleason did was phenomenal, but you don't need your facial tissue to skate and shoot a puck, and it was likely loaded with lidocaine. If you have a groin injury, etc. it is difficult if not impossible to play. So there are tougher issues to play through, though the facial laceration is right there for all to see.

It is a tough choice. There is no doubt that Gleason is the warrior and a natural leader. Still, Staal is a leader also and the guy who can pick up the team single handedly. Saying this in the face, as it were, of Gleason's performance is bound to be unpopular, but when the dust settles I would give it to Staal. Note Staal had one of the longest consecutive game streaks around, so he is tougher than people give him credit for.

Interesting discussion. Clearly Gleason's stock is very high immediately after last night's heroics in a season that hasn't had much going for it. On a pure blood and guts level it would be Gleason hands down. But there is also something to a player being able to put the team on his back and single handedly win games. Staal can and has done that (not so much this year obviously). Staal is also the heir apparent, so it would be a bit of a blow not to get it. He is still our best player hands down (possibly excepting Ward).

As for playing with injury, it is somewhat relative. Hey, what Gleason did was phenomenal, but you don't need your facial tissue to skate and shoot a puck, and it was likely loaded with lidocaine. If you have a groin injury, etc. it is difficult if not impossible to play. So there are tougher issues to play through, though the facial laceration is right there for all to see.

It is a tough choice. There is no doubt that Gleason is the warrior and a natural leader. Still, Staal is a leader also and the guy who can pick up the team single handedly. Saying this in the face, as it were, of Gleason's performance is bound to be unpopular, but when the dust settles I would give it to Staal. Note Staal had one of the longest consecutive game streaks around, so he is tougher than people give him credit for.

Yes I agree with you that Staal can single handedly put this team on his back but his laziness to back check at times leads to the basic fundamental problem with this team-  playing as a five man group on both offense and defense.  We will not be able to be successful unless all play at both ends of the ice.  If Staal can pick that aspect of his game up I think he would be moving in the right direction for the captaincy. It is important to note your best scorer does not need to be your Captain and there are many examples of that across the league that we can discuss if we want. 

Last night it was Gleason's face that showed the battle scar and you certainly don't need that to skate but you do need your knees which he battled through the last Caps game. 

If I am looking at the leadership style that Staal is most likely going to bring I think it will mirror Brindy's style which has been to lead on the ice.  IMO this quiet leadership style has lead to a slow start last year and lackluster efforts the previous two years. I am ready to see some more emotion from the leadership on this team to see what impact it can have.  

It will most likely be Staal's team in the near future.  Maybe he will call it as he sees it when he takes over  instead of playing it politcally correct.  Maybe he will be more vocal with the team. Its hard for someone to take over something that is not rightfully theirs to take right now and you can't fault him.  We just don't know what kind of leader he will be but if he wants to be captain he needs to make sure that no one can question his intensity at both ends of the ice.  Right now it is in question and Gleason's is not.

Great discussion folks.  Lots of good points all around.

My hope: all our designated leaders: Brindy, Staal, Whit & Gleason just rock it the rest of the season and give us something to get excited about.

No doubt in my mind it should be Gleason.

edited to add

I think Staal is a good player and can keep his A but that is it.  NO way is he C material in my eyes.  He is not worth the $$ we pay him and he acts like a spoiled child when things do not go his way during a game. 

A couple of years ago I did think Staal would make a good captain but as time has gone on his behavior has changed my views (and the views of several other fans I know).  He needs several more years under his skates before he should ever be considered for the C.

This franchise doesn't reach the playoffs and win the Stanley Cup in '06 without Staal. This franchise doesn't reach the playoffs and the Eastern Conference Finals last year without Staal. Gleason is a fantastic heart-and-soul player that, with each gritty performance, I become more thankful that he is on the roster. However, when it matters, Staal has shown the ability to step up and carry this team and this franchise on his back. I don't think Staal's past contributions should be forgotten simply because he's had a slow start to the season.

The latest trend of giving the "C" to the most prolific scorer is not on silly, it's tasteless. The "C" is not to be given to the guy with the best stats. Yet, a LOT of teams are doing this now. And with that thought in mind, I don't think Stal is anywhere near ready to wear the "C". It belongs to Gleason.

And I've heard Forslund, Tracy and Kaiton say the same thing.

The only argument I'm hearing for Staal is "he's good" or "he can single handidly win games". That's what being a Captain is all about? This is the type of stuff that just makes me roll my eyes.

IMO, Captaincy isn't about stats... it's about attitude.  Who has a more inspirational attitude?  I say Gleason.  Of course we are all on the outside of the organization looking in.  Who knows what Staal is saying and doing in between the plays/periods/games.  But, from what I have seen, Gleason is more openly vocal and is the definition of a consistant on-ice leader.

I always assumed that Staal would get the C because he is the face of the franchise (just like Crosby)... but is the face of a losing franchise worthy of the title?  Nothing personal to him or his fans, of course.

Gleason gets my vote

Gleason is the hard working "blue collar" type hockey player (as Forslund and Tripp said recently).

He also pretty up front in his remarks to the press. Remember last year when someone in the press

asked him to comment after a bad game, and he said "Well we just sucked tonight!" 

(Staal would have had a more politically correct thing to say, no doubt.)

We have seen Staal take the team on his back after Brindy went down two years ago and just miss the

playoffs by one game. We have also seen Staal come back into a game after an injury and play with heart.

So both have leadership qualities. I think either one could wear the "C". Do you prefer the face of your

franchise or your gritty blueliner?    I think the organization has already decided. I don't think we fans will

have any say in the matter. But they would do disservice to Timmy if he doesn't get, at least, a

permanent "A".

As for me---I like "blue collar" tell it like it is, hard working, gritty leaders. In some respects, Timmy

is more like Brindy---just more vocal. I voted for Timmy.

a lot of you are bringing up staal as being "lazy" when I really don't see it that way. He plays intelligently, hes not going to waste his energy to make it look like hes trying when he knows he wont be able to catch a guy. He plays a lot of minutes for this team so he also has to conserve his energy.

Now I don't think Gleason is a bad candidate but I dont think we can determine who wears the C. Mainly because we have no idea what goes on in the locker room. None of you do. Just because he talks to the media doesnt mean hes a great leader in the locker room.

Staal is the franchise player, he will be the next captain.

Mainly because we have no idea what goes on in the locker room. None of you do. Just because he talks to the media doesnt mean hes a great leader in the locker room.

Staal is the franchise player, he will be the next captain.

Nonsense. Those in the organization, who ARE in the know, say Gleasonis the leader of this team, in public and in the locker room. Wantingto give the "C" to the "face" of the team is not only silly, it'sdisgracefiul to those who deserve to wear the "C". This recent trend ofputting the "C" on the jersey of the guy who has the fanciest breakawaymoves, or scores the most goals for no other reason really bothers me.It's not a popularity contest or an All-Star vote. It SHOULD meansomething.

Nonsense. Those in the organization, who ARE in the know, say Gleason

is the leader of this team, in public and in the locker room. Wanting

to give the "C" to the "face" of the team is not only silly, it's

disgracefiul to those who deserve to wear the "C". This recent trend of

putting the "C" on the jersey of the guy who has the fanciest breakaway

moves, or scores the most goals for no other reason really bothers me.

It's not a popularity contest or an All-Star vote. It SHOULD mean

something.