The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
msgtcody

Who Should Be The Next Captain?

It isn't just about the statistics, if it were Ray Whitney would be the captain and there wouldn't be any conversation about it. It's about being able to step up at the most important time of the season, which Staal has done every year for the last four years.

I'll recall Staal's performance against the Blues in '06. He took a nasty high-stick early in the first period, returned with a chipped tooth and a stitched lip, and scored a hat-trick to lead the team to victory.

I don't think all that Staal has done, the toughness he has displayed over the years, should be completely forgotten because Gleason has done it more recently.

There is no doubt who the leader is on this team, and it aint the 7 million dollar guy.  Tim deserves the C.

what he said........

lots of folks keep bringing up staal's performance in '06 (FOUR seasons ago) and his play in the EFC's last year.  all well and good, and yes he played like a superstar on those occassions, but the team needs him to play that way every game.   to say he deserves the "C" with his lackluster and inconsistent play ... well, it's just undeserving.  if i was a player on this team it would be hard for me to respect him as a potential leader for no other reason than he just doesn't put out 100%. 

"Watch him miss a shot, and he stands still and throws his head back in exasperation while the play has moved on. It is annoying."  this is beyond annoying....    ever notice that when staal's parents are in the building, he seems to "play" with more emotion.  last year's EFC game at home (and i don't remember which one...but they use the video during breaks on FSN sometimes) he scored a fabulous goal.  instead of celebrating with his teammates, he skated away from the goal with his arms raised to the crown like he was royalty.  that irks the c*** out of me every time i see it.  and i think that's where he lost me as a supporter.  for me, he is the definition of entitlement and arrogance.  and i can't get past that.

no, the "C" doesn't belong on even the superstar of any team...give it to the person the TEAM looks up to for support and the person who can inspire and motivate.  that's what a leaders role should be.  (wonder what would happen with a team vote?  if brindy retires this year(please)...i'd say gleason or whitney would come out miles ahead.)  i hope management can get beyond their "franchise player" mentality and do what  will help our team recover from a miserable season and begin to rebuild.

After last night gritty performance by Gleason. I'd vote for him. However, If we select it by a players repore with his teammates,

I like Ray Whitney.   

After last night gritty performance by Gleason. I'd vote for him. However, If we select it by a players repore with his teammates,

I like Ray Whitney.   

I'd second that in a heartbeat! Whitney is a true professional in all aspects of the game. Gleason would still be a perfect captain.

I would have picked Whitney, hands down as my first choice. But he is toward the end of his career--

and as noted above, he may not be here next year. That is why I voted for Timmy.

Nonsense. Those in the organization, who ARE in the know, say Gleason is the leader of this team, in public and in the locker room. Wanting to give the "C" to the "face" of the team is not only silly, it's disgracefiul to those who deserve to wear the "C". This recent trend of putting the "C" on the jersey of the guy who has the fanciest breakaway moves, or scores the most goals for no other reason really bothers me. It's not a popularity contest or an All-Star vote. It SHOULD mean something.

Do you mind sharing some of these quotes?

Edit: Also for those of you saying Staal is inconsistent, since he got back from his injury he has 10 points in the 9 games he's played. I think his underacheiving earlier in the season was really caused by this injury.

I'd jump over all of them and give it to Sutter.

The kid is playing his heart out, he's articulate, and he seems pretty danged mature for his young age.

I'd be wary of giving the "C" to anyone but Staal for the simple worry about him pouting. Will Staal pout and underperformagain if Sutter is tagged with the "C"? If Staal ends up with it, I'llalways be suspicious if it was just a move to accomodate him and hisdemands, like bringing back Cole.

[quote name='icekoldcanada wrote:

TheBigKahuna']Nonsense. Those in the organization, who ARE in the know, say Gleason is the leader of this team, in public and in the locker room. Wanting to give the "C" to the "face" of the team is not only silly, it's disgracefiul to those who deserve to wear the "C". This recent trend of putting the "C" on the jersey of the guy who has the fanciest breakaway moves, or scores the most goals for no other reason really bothers me. It's not a popularity contest or an All-Star vote. It SHOULD mean something.

Edit: Also for those of you saying Staal is inconsistent, since he got back from his injury he has 10 points in the 9 games he's played. I think his underacheiving earlier in the season was really caused by this injury.John Forslund and Tripp Tracy, the TV guys, have said on more than one occasion that Gleason was the future captain of this team. And I've heard Chuck Kaiton give him a vote as well. Sorry, I do not record and archive all televised games....you'll have to watch and listen for yourself.

[quote name='TheBigKahuna wrote:

icekoldcanada wrote:

TheBigKahuna']Nonsense. Those in the organization, who ARE in the know, say Gleason is the leader of this team, in public and in the locker room. Wanting to give the "C" to the "face" of the team is not only silly, it's disgracefiul to those who deserve to wear the "C". This recent trend of putting the "C" on the jersey of the guy who has the fanciest breakaway moves, or scores the most goals for no other reason really bothers me. It's not a popularity contest or an All-Star vote. It SHOULD mean something.

Edit: Also for those of you saying Staal is inconsistent, since he got back from his injury he has 10 points in the 9 games he's played. I think his underacheiving earlier in the season was really caused by this injury.
John Forslund and Tripp Tracy, the TV guys, have said on more than one occasion that Gleason was the future captain of this team. And I've heard Chuck Kaiton give him a vote as well. Sorry, I do not record and archive all televised games....you'll have to watch and listen for yourself.

When did Forslund and Tracy say he was the future captain of the team? I watch just about every game that I can and I've never heard them say that. Yeah they say he's a great, hard-working player but I've never heard them say anything about him being a captain. Maybe an alternate.

Early into last season, Tripp and John were calling a game, and were talking about Tim Gleason. They made reference to him one day inheriting the "C" after Brind'amour retires. At the time I thought I was hearing things. But the next day it was being talked about on another forum. It's been said again since that day. Obviously they either know something, or are really speculating. But I'd have to suspect they are either giving their own big vote publically, or speaking about something they've heard.

Early into last season, Tripp and John were calling a game, and were talking about Tim Gleason. They made reference to him one day inheriting the "C" after Brind'amour retires. At the time I thought I was hearing things. But the next day it was being talked about on another forum. It's been said again since that day. Obviously they either know something, or are really speculating. But I'd have to suspect they are either giving their own big vote publically, or speaking about something they've heard.

They wouldn't have said that last season. Everyone was talking about Staal inheriting it last season. Rutherford was always saying that Staal was the future captain of the team. Gleason wasn't in the picture last season for captaincy.

Think what you want....I'm just telling you what actually happened and what was said. Like I said, at the time it sounded absurd...and everyone who heard it and talked about it the next day thought it was a bit presumptuous. But they said it.

I searched on another forum, and it was being talked about in November of 2008. So it happened around that time, probably late October, early November of last season.

Think what you want....I'm just telling you what actually happened and what was said. Like I said, at the time it sounded absurd...and everyone who heard it and talked about it the next day thought it was a bit presumptuous. But they said it.

I searched on another forum, and it was being talked about in November of 2008. So it happened around that time, probably late October, early November of last season.

I'll have to call horse hockey on this one there bigkanunnies.  I haven't missed  too many live games or telecasts this year, last year, etc. and that is something I've never heard John or Tripp get close too.  As a matter of fact, both seem to actually dodge the subject a little bit.

Timmy's heart is obvious every game. His return from injury and his game-changing contribution against the Caps is what hockey's all about. You play, you play hard, and you come back the same night from any injury requiring "only" stitches. And you come back the night after that. That's the kind of heart this team had in 05-06, and it's been MIA more nights than it's been present ever since.

Anything can happen with a team that is rebuilding, so I'm not ready to give Timmy the C just yet. But when the dust finally clears, I think the list will have three names on it: Staal, Gleason, and C. Ward.

(Digression: I do agree that if Roddy is gone anytime soon, Whitney is the smart choice as interim Captain. However, I would like to see Roddy stay, and play only on special teams: PK and PP. The value of winning faceoffs in those situations cannot be overstated, and Roddy is simply the only guy we have who can reliably win faceoffs anywhere on the ice. Plus, having one thing to focus on might be just what he needs.)   

Returning to the list, I would say that, at this moment in time, Staal is not ready. The C is for "Captain" - not "Coronation." The quickest way to divide a team is to give the C to someone who doesn't earn it night in and night out. It simply isn't enough to play hard only in the playoffs, or for part of a season. The C is earned one shift at a time, shift after shift, night after night. I continue to hope Staal will become that kind of player, but he's not yet. If he doesn't get there, I have faith that JR's broader knowledge of hockey and the people who play it will overtake his prematurely stated belief that Staal will wear the C.

Cam is the dark horse without question, but don't count him out. While it's rare for a keeper to get the C, let's remember what position Jimmy played. And it would be hard to find a keeper more deserving.

Finally, to those who have suggested Sutter - I mean, c'mon, people. I love what I'm seeing, but the C is earned over a number of seasons, not a number of games.

Cam is the dark horse without question, but don't count him out. While it's rare for a keeper to get the C, let's remember what position Jimmy played. And it would be hard to find a keeper more deserving.

It's a bit more then rare it's a rule in the rulebook that a goalie can't wear the C. Maybe he could be a inside locker room captain but he'll never wear the C.

I know what we heard, and talked about. Next time I'll bring video and audio backup. wink.gif

You can get back to your "who's the cutest Cane" discussion now. happy.gif

Sorry, but if your gonna chime in here and claim Forslund said this or Tripp said that you better be able to back it up.  Go pout if you want to but that's just how it works around here. wink.gif

What I remember hearing said during broadcasts was that Gleason was the type of player that could wear the "C" at some point in his career.  I don't remember who said it so that gets me off the hook on providing proof.  After the Caps game Friday, Forslund used the word "leadership" a couple of times in describing Gleason on the radio.

I don't remember anything specific about him inheriting it from Brindy, just that he was the type of character player that ends up being a captain.  With 2 half-times to fill and time outs, it gives Tripp something to talk about other than food, how great the other goalie is, or generally sticking his foot in his mouth. 

Raleigh, NC - Carolina Hurricanes General Manager Jim Rutherford announced today that beginning next season, Rod Brind'Amour would no longer be with the Hurricanes organization. "Obviously Rod has contributed greatly to our organization and his contributions will be missed". He went on to say that, "It is no secret that we have great fans and the team receives great inspiration from them. Based on the performance of the team in the 09-10 campaign and the disappointment of not making the playoffs after high expectations and expenditures we will be be trying something different with regards to the 'C' next season. I am pleased to announce that "Bigbander" from the Hurricanes message boards will be our captain. His unique blend of insight, creativity, toughness and moxie will position the team to again return to what we feel will be a deep and successful playoff run. "

Raleigh, NC - Carolina Hurricanes General Manager Jim Rutherford announced today that beginning next season, Rod Brind'Amour would no longer be with the Hurricanes organization. "Obviously Rod has contributed greatly to our organization and his contributions will be missed". He went on to say that, "It is no secret that we have great fans and the team receives great inspiration from them. Based on the performance of the team in the 09-10 campaign and the disappointment of not making the playoffs after high expectations and expenditures we will be be trying something different with regards to the 'C' next season. I am pleased to announce that "Bigbander" from the Hurricanes message boards will be our captain. His unique blend of insight, creativity, toughness and moxie will position the team to again return to what we feel will be a deep and successful playoff run. "

anyone associated with ECU Hockey is not worthy of a C, now if you were a Seahawk....I'd approve.  Source point illustrated brilliantly.