The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
msgtcody

Who Should Be The Next Captain?

As much as I know that Eric Staal will eventually get the C, he doesn't deserve it. At least not the way he's played this year. For all you Staal people out there who say we couldn't have won the Cup without him, this is true. What has he done for us lately? He has been slow on the ice, a hot dogger on most shifts and has more turnovers than a bakery. Tim Gleason has shown his leadership, not only on the ice but in the locker room and in the media. He takes up for his teammates on the ice. We won't mention him coming back out after having his face sewn back together (I'm quite sure that Mr. All-Star Staal would not have done that). My vote is for Tim "Bamm Bamm" Gleason.

As much as I know that Eric Staal will eventually get the C, he doesn't deserve it. At least not the way he's played this year. For all you Staal people out there who say we couldn't have won the Cup without him, this is true. What has he done for us lately? He has been slow on the ice, a hot dogger on most shifts and has more turnovers than a bakery. Tim Gleason has shown his leadership, not only on the ice but in the locker room and in the media. He takes up for his teammates on the ice. We won't mention him coming back out after having his face sewn back together (I'm quite sure that Mr. All-Star Staal would not have done that). My vote is for Tim "Bamm Bamm" Gleason.
Eh, Staal did do that this season.  He had his ear ripped off by a puck, they sewed it back on, and he came out and scored a goal.  Staalsy is in the runnin still too.  I'm just a defense guy, I like Timmy better, but Staal has done some things for us lately, we have just forgotten them in this dismal season.

[quote name='legend-1 wrote:

top-shelf-1']

Cam is the dark horse without question, but don't count him out. While it's rare for a keeper to get the C, let's remember what position Jimmy played. And it would be hard to find a keeper more deserving.

It's a bit more then rare it's a rule in the rulebook that a goalie can't wear the C. Maybe he could be a inside locker room captain but he'll never wear the C.

A mere technicality. Luongo is doing it in Vancouver and there's no reason it wouldn't work here. The Captaincy is about leadership by example more than anything else. Captains and Alternates take their referee-communication orders from the bench anyway, and Cam has a good rapport with the refs regardless. Just sayin'.  

Sorry, but hellooo?  Eric Staal did pretty much exactly that early this season (2nd game maybe?  can't recall offhand...) when his ear was basically hanging off the side of his head.  He went to the locker room, got stitches and came back out roaring.

EDIT:  Oops, jumped the gun a little bit.  Didn't see that this had already been addressed by fpsndiver....

[quote name='fpsndiver wrote:

schelle92']As much as I know that Eric Staal will eventually get the C, he doesn't deserve it. At least not the way he's played this year. For all you Staal people out there who say we couldn't have won the Cup without him, this is true. What has he done for us lately? He has been slow on the ice, a hot dogger on most shifts and has more turnovers than a bakery. Tim Gleason has shown his leadership, not only on the ice but in the locker room and in the media. He takes up for his teammates on the ice. We won't mention him coming back out after having his face sewn back together (I'm quite sure that Mr. All-Star Staal would not have done that). My vote is for Tim "Bamm Bamm" Gleason.

Eh, Staal did do that this season.  He had his ear ripped off by a puck, they sewed it back on, and he came out and scored a goal.  Staalsy is in the runnin still too.  I'm just a defense guy, I like Timmy better, but Staal has done some things for us lately, we have just forgotten them in this dismal season.

I have to agree here.  He had been playing with an injury and he is slowly coming back to form IMO.  I would like to see how the rest of this season goes.  If Staal can show that he can lead this team then i for one think he should get the "C".

[quote name='CarolinaGirl77 wrote:

schelle92']As much as I know that Eric Staal will eventually get the C, he doesn't deserve it. At least not the way he's played this year. For all you Staal people out there who say we couldn't have won the Cup without him, this is true. What has he done for us lately? He has been slow on the ice, a hot dogger on most shifts and has more turnovers than a bakery. Tim Gleason has shown his leadership, not only on the ice but in the locker room and in the media. He takes up for his teammates on the ice. We won't mention him coming back out after having his face sewn back together (I'm quite sure that Mr. All-Star Staal would not have done that). My vote is for Tim "Bamm Bamm" Gleason.

Sorry, but hellooo?  Eric Staal did pretty much exactly that early this season (2nd game maybe?  can't recall offhand...) when his ear was basically hanging off the side of his head.  He went to the locker room, got stitches and came back out roaring.

That was over a month ago.  So it counts for nothing here in knee jerk reaction land. 

I love our fans, we all live in the here and now, yesterday doesn't matter and tomorrow better be awesome or we're gonna leave. This is a good topic of discussion but I am amazed at all the Staal bashing, I mean you would think that our best player who is only 25 years old and has accomplished as much as he has in such little time would earn a little bit of respect. But the past two months have been bad so he is awful, he sucks at leading and whines uncontrollably? Are you kidding me? Oh thats right he shows frustration when he doesn't score, thats terrible. While we're at it, lets trash his celebration giving them a deep rooted meaning of how he is selfish and it's all about him. Good lord you would think we're talking about Terrell Owens. Oh yeah and let's talk about how he's going to whine when he doesn't become the next captain because we know how he reacts to situations like that. I will say that at least we are talking about the right two guys that should be our next captain, but whoever it is, I am sure we'll find something wrong with him immediately.

edit - one more problem I have with Staal is that he takes the puck down the ice and shoots, how dare he do such a thing, I mean what is he trying to do score goals?  what a glory hog.   

Momustay 

What I remember hearing said during broadcasts was that Gleason was the type of player that could wear the "C" at some point in his career.  I don't remember who said it so that gets me off the hook on providing proof.  After the Caps game Friday, Forslund used the word "leadership" a couple of times in describing Gleason on the radio.

This is EXACTLY the way I've heard it as well from Forslund on a number of occasions but most recently during the 99.9 Aftermath with Mike Maniscalco after the Caps and Senators games.

[quote name=10DollarTH]I love our fans, we all live in the here and now, yesterday doesn't matter and tomorrow better be awesome or we're gonna leave. I stopped reading here. 

The fact that we're all still here posting and reading about the worst team in the NHL in the middle of what could be the worst season ever in the history of this franchise, pretty much disproves your theory which generalizes all of us fans here.  If we haven't left by now, chances are better than good that we're not going anywhere and we're all in it for the long haul.  The tomorrow better be awesome or we're gonna leave folks bailed well over a month ago, perhaps somewhere towards the beginning of the 14 game losing winless streak ?  wink.gif

Why is it when a few people have an opinion that doesn't sit well with some folks, they generalize that everyone here shares that same opinion?  I haven't been around much lately but in the few threads I've read through, I've seen us all generalized as "you people", "is everyone here nuts" and my personal favorite, "don't you people know anything?"

[quote name=10DollarTH]I love our fans, we all live in the here and now, yesterday doesn't matter and tomorrow better be awesome or we're gonna leave. I stopped reading here. 

The fact that we're all still here posting and reading about the worst team in the NHL in the middle of what could be the worst season ever in the history of this franchise, pretty much disproves your theory which generalizes all of us fans here.  If we haven't left by now, chances are better than good that we're not going anywhere and we're all in it for the long haul.  The tomorrow better be awesome or we're gonna leave folks bailed well over a month ago, perhaps somewhere towards the beginning of the 14 game losing winless streak ?  wink.gif

Why is it when a few people have an opinion that doesn't sit well with some folks, they generalize that everyone here shares that same opinion?  I haven't been around much lately but in the few threads I've read through, I've seen us all generalized as "you people", "is everyone here nuts" and my personal favorite, "don't you people know anything?"

[quote name='legend-1 wrote:

top-shelf-1']

Cam is the dark horse without question, but don't count him out. While it's rare for a keeper to get the C, let's remember what position Jimmy played. And it would be hard to find a keeper more deserving.

It's a bit more then rare it's a rule in the rulebook that a goalie can't wear the C. Maybe he could be a inside locker room captain but he'll never wear the C.

that is not true, cam can be named captain..

Luongo relishes role as Canucks' captain

Wednesday, 03.04.2009 / 1:00 AM / Captains, Driven by Bridgestone
By Mike G. Morreale  - NHL.com Staff Writer

After being named the first goalie to captain an NHL team in 61 seasons, Robert Luongo of the Vancouver Canucks had one thought in mind.

"(Luongo) asked me if he needed to work on his faceoff skills for times of special events at the arena," said Canucks coach Alain Vigneault.

"We might be a little outside of box here (naming Luongo captain), but there's only two things that, as captain, Roberto can't do and that's wear the 'C' on his jersey or take faceoffs," Vigneault said.

After being named the first goalie to captain an NHL team in 61 seasons, Robert Luongo of the Vancouver Canucks had one thought in mind.

"(Luongo) asked me if he needed to work on his faceoff skills for times of special events at the arena," said Canucks coach Alain Vigneault.

"We might be a little outside of box here (naming Luongo captain), but there's only two things that, as captain, Roberto can't do and that's wear the 'C' on his jersey or take faceoffs," Vigneault said.

Those pressures haven't impaired Luongo's ability to win. In 35 starts this season, he is 21-8-5 with a 2.46 goals-against average and .917 save percentage.

I love our fans, we all live in the here and now, yesterday doesn't matter and tomorrow better be awesome or we're gonna leave. This is a good topic of discussion but I am amazed at all the Staal bashing, I mean you would think that our best player who is only 25 years old and has accomplished as much as he has in such little time would earn a little bit of respect. But the past two months have been bad so he is awful, he sucks at leading and whines uncontrollably? Are you kidding me? Oh thats right he shows frustration when he doesn't score, thats terrible. While we're at it, lets trash his celebration giving them a deep rooted meaning of how he is selfish and it's all about him. Good lord you would think we're talking about Terrell Owens. Oh yeah and let's talk about how he's going to whine when he doesn't become the next captain because we know how he reacts to situations like that. I will say that at least we are talking about the right two guys that should be our next captain, but whoever it is, I am sure we'll find something wrong with him immediately.

edit - one more problem I have with Staal is that he takes the puck down the ice and shoots, how dare he do such a thing, I mean what is he trying to do score goals?  what a glory hog.   

Momustay 
Here is a good example of giving somebody just a little rope, and them running wild with it.

Staal sucks?  Staal whines?  Why does he shoot?  Why does he celebrate a goal like he does? Give me a break.  Make your points for why you think your guy should wear the "C".  Staal has been and still is a great player for this team.  He does seem to turn it on at times like the playoffs last year.  In the past, I've been hard on Staal for skating the puck over the blue line and shooting, but it's because no Cane on the ice had the speed or even wanted to get up the ice with him.  It is more of a frustration with how the deal sorts out.

Bear in mind that none of us knows what goes on in the locker room or on the ice.  I put my money on Gleason simply because I think he hates losing more than anyone on the team.  Yes, we (or I) were swayed by his performance in the Caps game.  We saw him struggling with that mask he was wearing but also saw him get out there and get it done.  The thing is, this type of commitment isn't something that Gleason has for one game.  Listen to this guy talk.  It's not often, but there's not a player on the team that's more disgusted with losing than him.  At least that's what I hear.

the problem with naming a "captain" is first you have to decide what your captain stands for- is is the best player? the best leader on ice? the most influential player?.. any and all of this goes into deciding a captain, some are born captains( a yzerman or toewes), some grow into role(messier or pronger), and many top players never a captain.

When looking at today's 10 best captains in the NHL  think of the main criteria that creates this person.

Obviously the skill level comes into effect, because if you are never on the ice, well you can't really lead by example

Second, your character, and how you are in the dressing room. In today's world, you will never be respected, and followed simply by what you do on the ice, if you're a jerk in the dressing room your team will hate you.

Finally, the players adaptability is crucial. If you can score without stopping the other team from scoring you are basically useless, if you can't score but stop the other team from scoring—useless. You must do it all.

Captains are a special breed, not just anyone can be a captain.However, as I was saying, they are more then just athletes, they are role models and mentors. They make you reach down further into yourself then you have ever been before, and they give it their all, even if they are practicing during optional skates. We on the outside will never know WHO is inspriring the lockeroom

[quote name='canes-in-7 wrote:

legend-1 wrote:

top-shelf-1']

that is not true, cam can be named captain..

Luongo relishes role as Canucks' captain

Wednesday, 03.04.2009 / 1:00 AM / Captains, Driven by Bridgestone
By Mike G. Morreale  - NHL.com Staff Writer

Those pressures haven't impaired Luongo's ability to win. In 35 starts this season, he is 21-8-5 with a 2.46 goals-against average and .917 save percentage.

Someone else has to either wear the C OR the team will only have alternates on the ice.

I wasn't trying to make a case for either Staal or Gleason to be the captain, because I think either of them would do a great job, I was pointing out the disrespect that many people have been showing for Staal and how ridiculous some of the comments I have read are ex; takes it down the ice and shoots it, tries another wrap around, raises his hands to the sky in celebration instead of sprinting to his teammates.  I just think people need to tone down the Staal bashing until we actually have a reason for it. 

and to TSA, I did say we, not you all.  Sorry my statement was too broad and generalized, next time I'll call out names.  

I have a theory it relates to a prejudice against talent. People can't relate to being an elite athlete, so the highly skilled things don't really mean as much to them. Controlling the puck for 15 seconds one on two and then creating a scoring opportunity, he's highly skilled, he should be doing that, as if it takes no effort, and you can just fight off two dmen by being born talented. But skating hard back to the bench for a line change. That's something Average Joe can wrap his head around.

Just like a big player who glides vs. a small player who churns his legs. Even if they go the same speed, that doesn't really register. The little guy looks like he's trying harder, so he becomes the favorite.

Chad Larose got a big raise and a 2 year deal. He has one goal. No anger. Samsonav did the same thing last year to a lesser extent, and people were ready to banish him to siberia. Larose is an 'effort' player, Samsonav is a 'skill' player. One people can relate with, the other people can't.

In the end, it probably just comes down to Mandelbaum, Mandelbaum, Mandelbaum. You think you're better than me? Its go time!

Where's the fresh blood we need? Sean Avery for Capt.!
Welcome to the boards....and NO.  While I admire aspects of Avery's game, he is not leader.  He is, however, a world class pest....maybe one of the best I've ever seen.....but not a captain.

Avery didn't fit in well in Dallas- BUT in almost all the quotes about what a "non team player" he was in the Locker room- the main guy airing issues with him was Turco.

Mark my words, i would not be surprised to see Avery show back up in Dallas once Turco hits the road.

Hell, Avery and Richards regularly hung out after games and hit the local club scene. He's at least one guy who wouldn't mind seeing the pest back.