The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
msgtcody

Who Should Be The Next Captain?

Frankly I'm surprised that he went unclaimed as long as he did last year after his 'unfortunate' comments about additional helpings wink.gif

All that being said, pests normally don't make good captains, as you don't want them emulated.  Usually NHL teams employ just one pest, and ours is injured right now sad.gif

I wasn't trying to make a case for either Staal or Gleason to be the captain, because I think either of them would do a great job, I was pointing out the disrespect that many people have been showing for Staal and how ridiculous some of the comments I have read are ex; takes it down the ice and shoots it, tries another wrap around, raises his hands to the sky in celebration instead of sprinting to his teammates.  I just think people need to tone down the Staal bashing until we actually have a reason for it. 

and to TSA, I did say we, not you all.  Sorry my statement was too broad and generalized, next time I'll call out names.  
For what it's worth, that's what I took from your post.  And I agree 100%.  Well, maybe I should say 99.9 %, because I actually do think he goes for the wrap around too much smile.gif

BTW, my favorite Staal bashing comment was something to the effect of (and I'm definitely paraphrasing here because I have no idea where this post is buried) "Staal wasn't playing well at the beginning of the season because his feelings were hurt (over something or other), not because he was playing through an injury".  To which my response was something like "Seriously?!?!?!  His feelings were hurt?!?  Puh-lease.  This is hockey, not a high school gymnastics team."

[quote name='canes-in-7 wrote:

legend-1 wrote:

top-shelf-1']

Cam is the dark horse without question, but don't count him out. While it's rare for a keeper to get the C, let's remember what position Jimmy played. And it would be hard to find a keeper more deserving.

It's a bit more then rare it's a rule in the rulebook that a goalie can't wear the C. Maybe he could be a inside locker room captain but he'll never wear the C.

that is not true, cam can be named captain..

Luongo relishes role as Canucks' captain

Wednesday, 03.04.2009 / 1:00 AM / Captains, Driven by Bridgestone
By Mike G. Morreale  - NHL.com Staff Writer

After being named the first goalie to captain an NHL team in 61 seasons, Robert Luongo of the Vancouver Canucks had one thought in mind.

"(Luongo) asked me if he needed to work on his faceoff skills for times of special events at the arena," said Canucks coach Alain Vigneault.

"We might be a little outside of box here (naming Luongo captain), but there's only two things that, as captain, Roberto can't do and that's wear the 'C' on his jersey or take faceoffs," Vigneault said.

After being named the first goalie to captain an NHL team in 61 seasons, Robert Luongo of the Vancouver Canucks had one thought in mind.

"(Luongo) asked me if he needed to work on his faceoff skills for times of special events at the arena," said Canucks coach Alain Vigneault.

"We might be a little outside of box here (naming Luongo captain), but there's only two things that, as captain, Roberto can't do and that's wear the 'C' on his jersey or take faceoffs," Vigneault said.

Those pressures haven't impaired Luongo's ability to win. In 35 starts this season, he is 21-8-5 with a 2.46 goals-against average and .917 save percentage.

Cant...wear....the....C. Luongo might be a captain to the Nucks but not in the NHL's eyes. 

[quote name='legend-1 wrote:

canes-in-7 wrote:

legend-1']It's a bit more then rare it's a rule in the rulebook that a goalie can't wear the C. Maybe he could be a inside locker room captain but he'll never wear the C.

Wednesday, 03.04.2009 / 1:00 AM /
By
 - NHL.com Staff Writer

After being named the first goalie to captain an NHL team in 61 seasons, Robert Luongo of the
had one thought in mind.

"(Luongo) asked me if he needed to work on his faceoff skills for times of special events at the arena," said Canucks coach

After being named the first goalie to captain an NHL team in 61 seasons, Robert Luongo of the
had one thought in mind.

"(Luongo) asked me if he needed to work on his faceoff skills for times of special events at the arena," said Canucks coach

Those pressures haven't impaired Luongo's ability to win. In 35 starts this season, he is 21-8-5 with a 2.46 goals-against average and .917 save percentage.

Cant...wear....the....C. Luongo might be a captain to the Nucks but not in the NHL's eyes. 

As said cam CAN be named the captain..

And just can't sew a "C" on jersey, which ONLY means something to fans, as seen by the 'nucks- the TEAM knows who the leader and captain is, they don't need a patch for that, as guess some fans do

First, thanks for the welcome, bro. Good to be here. Second, I like Avery because he's got some fire, some POW. Short man's syndrome I guess. I know he wouldn't make a good capt, he can barely control himself. Fun to watch though.

AND... It's not a purse OR an european carry-all. It's a satchel. Indiana Jones had one.

[quote name='canes-in-7 wrote:

legend-1 wrote:

canes-in-7']

Wednesday, 03.04.2009 / 1:00 AM /
By
 - NHL.com Staff Writer

had one thought in mind.

had one thought in mind.

As said cam CAN be named the captain..

And just can't sew a "C" on jersey, which ONLY means something to fans, as seen by the 'nucks- the TEAM knows who the leader and captain is, they don't need a patch for that, as guess some fans do

Y'all make valid points but are talking past each other, Legend and Canes-in-7.

Legend is right that league rules forbid goalies wearing the C. Canes is right that Luongo is the Canucks' captain anyway, from a leadership point of view - and, I think, more generally about a leader being more than whomever's wearing the C on their sweater.

But you should also know, Canes, that as someone else stated, the only players who can consult with the Ref on penalties, rules interpretations, etc., without risking a penalty themselves - under the rules - are those with a C or an A on their sweaters. So they're not just "patches" put there for the fans. Those letters are worn - required under the rules, in fact - to let the Ref know that the guy trying to gain audience with him is legit. Under the rules, Referees must "invite" such consultations, and the letter tells them whom to invite.

(Digression: That little semi-circle at the scorekeeper's spot at center ice? Step over that line when the clock is stopped and the Ref is inside the circle - even WITH a C or an A on your sweater - and you're in deep doo-doo. Next time you're at a game, notice how scrupulously players avoid doing so.)

Now. The rules state that a team may appoint three Alternates (rather than the normally permitted two), "Only when the Captain is not in uniform." So if a team appoints a goalie as captain (small c, nothing on the sweater, but acknowledged as the team's real leader), they ensure that their Captain (large C on the sweater) is NEVER in uniform - because goalies CAN'T be Captains. This is really a loophole which allows a team to have three "permanent" Alternates, thereby maintaining the maximum number of players on the bench - three - who are allowed to consult with the Ref.

For all these reasons - and it's just my opinion - goalies should be considered for captaincy (small c, but big meaning) more often than they are at present.  

I'll take the point a game guy in the playoffs please.

even if he's an egotistical overpaid underachiever? naw... I'd far rather have the guy that brings it consistently, is eloquent, articulate, well respected throughout the league, and leads by example... Gleason or Whitney, but first we've gotta get rid of the REAL controlling force in the locker room - Ron Francis.

I still don't understand why there is so much bashing of Staal's character now, it makes no sense to me. because he shows frustration once in a while? you've got to be kidding.
I think everyone just assumes these things because of the way he plays. Its pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

I still don't understand why there is so much bashing of Staal's character now, it makes no sense to me. because he shows frustration once in a while? you've got to be kidding.
People just want someone to blame (when in all reality, there's at least 10 things that have contributed to this years poor performance IMO). Before the Canes started doing bad, not many people would have said Staal didn't receivedeserve the C. Now we are losing everyone needs someone to blame it on. It's ashame Staal shows emotion, it's almost like he cares to much as someone else mentioned in the forums.

I'm fine with Staal or Gleason getting the C. The only thing I think sucks is the way Canes fans are acting this year since we aren't having the great season everyone thought we would.

I am against Gleason getting the "C". This is because, as captain, you are expected to be able to carry your team on your back and lead by example, expecially in tight situaions. Look at brind'amour during the Cup run in 06- he was on fire, with huge hits, defensive plays, and clutch goals. This is what you need from a Captain.

While Tim Gleason is tough and has a great aptitude for leadership, he is a stay at home defensman. So the things he does are much more subtle and as conaequence dont get the team fired up. He has only scored 13 goals in his ten years in the NHL! A captain should be able to lead with goals, to be able to show their team how to get out of a hole, and at the same time do it. The best way Gleason to do that is to fight, which is illegal, and something that you generally want your captain to not do.

Gleason for "A". YES!!! But i say we get either Staal or Whitney for C.

I also think that Nick Wallin should be an "A". Think what you will, he is a capable defender who is a vocal leader and has respect and experience..if we keep him next year. (Most likely high tail it for Sweden)

why the %#!$ did you put ward i can bet a trillion dollars hes never going to be goalie know why i would bet that much? captains need to be able to cross the center line goalies cant do that

[quote name='sixnitepkg wrote:

wallym']I'll take the point a game guy in the playoffs please.

even if he's an egotistical overpaid underachiever? naw... I'd far rather have the guy that brings it consistently, is eloquent, articulate, well respected throughout the league, and leads by example... Gleason or Whitney, but first we've gotta get rid of the REAL controlling force in the locker room - Ron Francis.

Statements like this are ridiculous.  Staal has a slow start to the season, which he has ALWAYS done since '06-'07, and suddenly he is a career under-achiever, over-paid, and egotistical.  This franchise doesn't win the Stanley Cup in '05-'06 without Staal, it doesn't compete for a playoff spot in '06-'07 and '07-'08 without Staal, and it also doesn't reach the Eastern Conference Finals last season without Staal.  You look around the NHL and you look at the captains; players like Iginla, Toews, Nash, Brown, Koivu, Richards, and Lecavalier.  Staal has done just as much, if not more, for this franchise than those players have done for their franchises.  If they are worthy of being called captains of their respective teams, which I believe they are, then Eric Staal is certainly worthy of being called the captain of the Carolina Hurricanes.

[quote name='sixnitepkg wrote:

wallym']I'll take the point a game guy in the playoffs please.

even if he's an egotistical overpaid underachiever? naw... I'd far rather have the guy that brings it consistently, is eloquent, articulate, well respected throughout the league, and leads by example... Gleason or Whitney, but first we've gotta get rid of the REAL controlling force in the locker room - Ron Francis.Egotistical, really? You wanna put a Sindely Whiplash mustache on him to while your at it? He's a underachiever and has more in the tank to give but he's far from egotistical.

I hope the "egotistical" deal was an attempt at sarcasm.  If it wasn't, it doesn't even merit a response.

As I stated earlier, my vote is for Gleason.  It isn't a slap in the face to Staal who should be the scoring leader on the ice.  It still gets back to the point that I think Gleason hates to lose more than any guy on the team.  I also think that my captain should be a guy that is willing to drop the gloves to come to the defense of a team mate.  I know that it isn't usually the case in the NHL and I'm not advocating that goons become the captains.  It's not good to lose a key player for 5 minutes, but every player on the team knows that Gleason has their back.

That's just my opinion.

I hope the "egotistical" deal was an attempt at sarcasm.  If it wasn't, it doesn't even merit a response.

As I stated earlier, my vote is for Gleason.  It isn't a slap in the face to Staal who should be the scoring leader on the ice.  It still gets back to the point that I think Gleason hates to lose more than any guy on the team.  I also think that my captain should be a guy that is willing to drop the gloves to come to the defense of a team mate.  I know that it isn't usually the case in the NHL and I'm not advocating that goons become the captains.  It's not good to lose a key player for 5 minutes, but every player on the team knows that Gleason has their back.

That's just my opinion.

Mine as well Super Dave!!

Well after the way how this season has been and the players with all their injuries. I think anyone of us fans could be the "C" of the team.