The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
johnnydrum

Tim Gleason still on my bad list--but now added to new section!

[quote name=johnnydrum]Greetings from the United Kingdom.

Despite being 3000 miles away, we receive pretty good coverage now over here of "the beautiful game" via dish etc--so I have been able to cheer on my beloved Washington Capitals as intensely as anyone in D.C...(been a fan since 96--and visited the Caps-across the pond-- on 6 different occasions

Last nights game, (as a sequel to the first Carolina-Caps game) was broad casted over here, and I had the entire family up to cheer on the good guys, and braced them to boo the "Canes" number 6--after all, the family was all too aware of my cursing of Gleason, not just 2 weeks ago, but also from previous "incidents" against us (Opening night 2006--a shame-full knee on knee on Ovechkin..lol..please understand that I will never remove my biased Caps coloured glasses on these incidents..lol)

What can I say though....having watched Gleason get split open by a puck to the face, I had to grunt  out of begrudging respect, when he returned to the game (his face visibly cut quite badly)--taking trips back to the lockeroom between shifts, i presume to get "re-fastened".

The grunts turned to gasps astonishment as I watched him continue to crash and block, and by the time he roared in and tied the game with a bomb, I almost applauded!

Well almost....

Anyway, just wanted to give a respect-full "nod" to a player I was Screaming/Cursing/Raging at 2 weeks ago, hes still very much on my "Bad" list, but now also in the sub-section of "Bad with B*lls"

Thanks for the post  johnnydrum... Last nights game was hard fought on both sides...it was a shame someone had to lose... Timmy is truly one of the leaders (if not THE LEADER) of the Canes... I think anyone watching that display of true grit ,HEART and sheer determination was saying Holy S**T... Let's hope the Olympic Commitee was watching wink.gif    "Gleason for Captain"  Thanks for stopping by...

Greetings from the United Kingdom.

Despite being 3000 miles away, we receive pretty good coverage now over here of "the beautiful game" via dish etc--so I have been able to cheer on my beloved Washington Capitals as intensely as anyone in D.C...(been a fan since 96--and visited the Caps-across the pond-- on 6 different occasions

Last nights game, (as a sequel to the first Carolina-Caps game) was broad casted over here, and I had the entire family up to cheer on the good guys, and braced them to boo the "Canes" number 6--after all, the family was all too aware of my cursing of Gleason, not just 2 weeks ago, but also from previous "incidents" against us (Opening night 2006--a shame-full knee on knee on Ovechkin..lol..please understand that I will never remove my biased Caps coloured glasses on these incidents..lol)

What can I say though....having watched Gleason get split open by a puck to the face, I had to grunt  out of begrudging respect, when he returned to the game (his face visibly cut quite badly)--taking trips back to the lockeroom between shifts, i presume to get "re-fastened".

The grunts turned to gasps astonishment as I watched him continue to crash and block, and by the time he roared in and tied the game with a bomb, I almost applauded!

Well almost....

Anyway, just wanted to give a respect-full "nod" to a player I was Screaming/Cursing/Raging at 2 weeks ago, hes still very much on my "Bad" list, but now also in the sub-section of "Bad with B*lls"

Nice to know hockey is alive and well in a small corner of the UK. It was nice of you to take the time to recognize the gutsy play of Tim Gleason.  In a quiet moment perhaps you can lift a pint to Timmy for a job well done. Then you can go back and root  (as misguided as it may appear to us Canes fans) for your Caps.  Wishing you and your family a Happy Christmas.

Gleason is amazing.

I think you need glasses if he is on your bad list he is such a good player.

I thought johnnydrum was being pretty up front.  "bad list" is a relative term.

There are plenty of players we Canes fans hate and are on our "bad list", but when we step back and see the bigger picture we have "begrudging respect" for them and "almost applaud". 

mad.gifI think we could have done without some of the OP's opinions but that is my two cents.

All of the Caniac's know what an awesome player Gleason is and how much character he has.  Not many players would have continued to play after having their face split open like that.

He really is a true leader in my eyes.

Gotta love Timmy Gleason!

mad.gifI think we could have done without some of the OP's opinions but that is my two cents.

All of the Caniac's know what an awesome player Gleason is and how much character he has.  Not many players

would have continued to play after having their face split open like that.

He really is a true leader in my eyes.

Gotta love Timmy Gleason!

Only Rutuu would have played with his face split open like that. And he endeared himself to us from then on !!! Remember?

I'm glad the OP came over here and told us what they really thought. No need to sugar coat anything, I would do the same if I went to an opposing message board. It's not being rude or anything, they are just posting their opinion, isn't that what we all do here anyway?

Welcome to the boards, as much as I hate the Caps, they sure are a fun team to watch. We love Timmy G over here, he shows us heart and leadership that most don't. I'm glad to see hockey alive other places. Great to see.

Yeah..um... I'm not really sure why a guy like Tim Gleason would be on anybody's 'bad list'.. He is just a really hard working talented player.. Does that mean every hardworking talent player that doesn't wear a Caps jersey is on this guys bad list? Sounds kinda dumb...

Bandwagon. My opinion is you're an absolute fool or simply not the avid hockey fan you claim to be if Gleason is somehow on your "bad list" whatever that is supposed to mean. Did you get sick off the Mama Ovechkin Kool-aid? You're stating the obvious about Gleason's tough character and leadership anyway, but you'd know that if you would already know that if you actually knew ANYTHING about Gleason. Bye.

Personally, I don't care what any Craps fan has to say about Gleason, good or bad, especially if Gleason is somehow on said person's "bad list" whatever the heck that means. Are you Santa? Well, then don't forget to drink your Mama-Ovechkin Kool-aid when you get your cookies.

I just had to comment that the over-the-top, completely unnecessary hostility in some of the responses is hilarious. 

To put it simply, the OP had a dislike of Gleason because of his play in the past (and Gleason has had some questionable ones).  His play in the recent Caps game brought a new light on Gleason in the OP's eyes.  He still dislikes Gleason, but he respects him.

Sort of how, despite the seething rage that some seem to have for OV, you have to respect the talent level it takes to put up the numbers he does.

Okay,  okay fair enough....my whole purpose of posting here was to praise the courage, grit, heart and b***s of an opposition player.

When I said Time Gleason was on my "Bad list"  I meant " a list of Bad people that had done my Caps wrong (I was being tongue in cheek, choosing a Santa-esque list --quite brilliantly "deduced" by hctimo787--which was meant to add a little seasonl fun-- but I realise that this may have been lost in translation.) I was not saying he was a "Bad" player....

If I have offended anyone here by coming to a rivals board to heap my respect, praise and admiration on one of their players,  I do apologise..

What can I say...I was just impressed by him....sorry?

To all the other posters who understood my sentiments, thank you for your warm welcome, and good luck for the rest of the season (apart from games our teams meet of course!)