The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

For better or worse

In all honesty, I think he should be a little more selfish when you take into account the lack of talent he has around him. When you can't rely on anyone around you to put the puck in the net (for example, Cole against New Jersey), don't pass on quality scoring chances because you think they may be in slightly better position.

I've seeen that Krad.  I agree that it needed to happen.  Staal would skate down countless times and throw the puck at the goalie's chest, and then turn around and play defensive hockey in our zone.  He'd get the puck back, skate it back down and throw the puck on net.  When you have  a player that does that all the time, it gets easy to defend.  Staal needs to be unpredictable.  The more unpredictable a 'star' player is, the harder it is to defend against him and his line mates.  While I agree that he shouldn't pass every time he gets into the opponents end with help, he shouldn't shoot everytime either.  The team really isn't playing that badly of late, and the games aren't unwatchable. 

I understand that the reason Cole was brought back was to help Staal with his game. They basically have the same type of game. It could have been a good tandum. Sort of like Crosby and Malkin. I agree someone might have elightened him. It is interesting that Cole is now listed on the fourth line. Staal is playing on the first line with Whitney and Ruutu. Maybe Staal needs to learn how to use the talents of his teammates. Part of  being a great player is to make his surrounding players better. As a result, it would open the game up for him to be successful.

"We can all be successful, as long as we don't mind who get the credit"  But isn't that a coaching thing?

I've seeen that Krad.  I agree that it needed to happen.  Staal would skate down countless times and throw the puck at the goalie's chest, and then turn around and play defensive hockey in our zone.  He'd get the puck back, skate it back down and throw the puck on net.  When you have  a player that does that all the time, it gets easy to defend.    

I agree, between throwing the puck on net whenever he got into a pinch or ran out of gas and let's not forget the million times he has coughed up the puck when he tried to split 3 or 4 defensemen, he has become very predictable. I'm not saying he shouldn't try at times but it sure looks good when they try to double team him and he puts the breaks on and tries to find a trailer. I wouldn't mind seeing him become a more rounded forward. I understand it's not all gonna happen in a couple of games but it should pay dividends in the future. 

Well, its not all Staal's fault.  Its not exactly a secret in the NHL that the man has some skills.  They are double and triple teaming him at times.  I do think that our team has failed to recognize that very fact at times and take advantages of the openings that are created because of how these teams are defending Staal.  All of our injuries haven't helped either this year.  Add the age factor to that, and I'm not all that worried.  Once Staal is surrounded by youth, vigor, and speed......we'll see him playing his money's worth and then some. 

I am still a big Staal fan, but the gritty non headline guys you need to get the job done for the team are the important players.  One star does not a team make.  There is far too much pressure on Staalsy this season.  I think we'll be ok next year.