The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Faceoff-ch1

Canes may open 10-11 season in Europe

This is pretty cool stuff, I'd like to see us play like one of the Sweedish league's teams like the Rangers did a couple of years ago.  They should start having a summit series with the NHL All Stars vs the KHL All Stars.

This would be great for the team, we need to expand our fanbase and what better way than to make the whole country of Finland root for us. That is of course if the league doesn't do something stupid and have us play in Germany. I think that would be a fun road trip to take.

I think it's totally ridiculous. Tough economic times and the NHL wants to waste money and send teams overseas! Spend the money and buy a TV station so you can put the games on here (North America) without having to charge us for Center Ice, VS,NHL channel. After-all aren't we the one that support the NHL year in and year out!.They have their own leagues let them watch their own Teams!!

Just my 2-cents and my OPINION and if its PC enough --------------OH WELL

Kinda agree, that is quite a penny to send us out to Europe to play a game.

On the other hand we take these countries best players and they never get to see them so... 50-50 for me. 

Really cool if it would happen.  The Canes will never get a "Winter Classic" invite, so this is the next best spectacle to hope for.  I hope it's Finland for our Finnish gang.  Wonder how much a European road trip would cost a Caniac?  I'd better start saving now.  At least not having to buy playoff strips this season will be a big start to savings!    laugh.gif  

I think it's totally ridiculous. Tough economic times and the NHL wants to waste money and send teams overseas! Spend the money and buy a TV station so you can put the games on here (North America) without having to charge us for Center Ice, VS,NHL channel. After-all aren't we the one that support the NHL year in and year out!.They have their own leagues let them watch their own Teams!!

Wow. So you also think ifOlympics are hosted in Canada we shouldn't be able to watch it? And if World Cup will be hosted in German you shouldn't be able to watch it? Thereare fans also in here as they are in there, maybe not that much fans, but hey we still exist... So should we also take European players awayform NHL and make our own league? At the moment the best players are European...So you don't own the NHL. So for example you shouldn't even use electricity since Europeans found it first, and that's the bullshit your giving to us... Join army and fight for your pointless oil...pimp.gif

And that's my opinion. The End

Forslund said on the radio last night that is was a 90% certainty. Removes one home game from the schedule and all of the preseason games. Might drop the price of a full season ticket a tiny bit. I'd really miss all of those full priced full excitement preseason games, but I guess I could cope.

The main downside is the next couple of games upon return. If I'm not mistaken we wooped on a jet lagged Florida team in this situation earlier this year. Our "full on worst in the league team that couldn't get more than a goal or two against one back up after another" squad clobbered them 7-2.

The team does get a great chance to gell together on the road, and it will be a very different team with a lot of new faces, so that could be huge. Plus the Canes get revenues equal to a home sell out. All and all good deal.

I hope the marketing department of the team puts together a travel package for those of us willing and able to do this. Seeing the Finns play on 'home ice' would be quite a trip.

I like the idea, particularly in Finland.  Would be neat to see the Finns rooting for the Canes.  I agree it might be a good team building thing with the new faces that will likely be on the team next year.

I hope the marketing department of the team puts together a travel package for those of us willing and able to do this. Seeing the Finns play on 'home ice' would be quite a trip.

I agree with that! Was thinking about what a fun trip that would be. And I have a business partner there, might be able to make it tax deductible! wink.gif

[quote name='SaunaCrew wrote:

djharley']I think it's totally ridiculous. Tough economic times and the NHL wants to waste money and send teams overseas! Spend the money and buy a TV station so you can put the games on here (North America) without having to charge us for Center Ice, VS,NHL channel. After-all aren't we the one that support the NHL year in and year out!.They have their own leagues let them watch their own Teams!!

Wow. So you also think if Olympics are hosted in Canada we shouldn't be able to watch it? And if World Cup will be hosted in German you shouldn't be able to watch it? There are fans also in here as they are in there, maybe not that much fans, but hey we still exist... So should we also take European players away form NHL and make our own league? At the moment the best players are European...So you don't own the NHL. So for example you shouldn't even use electricity since Europeans found it first, and that's the bullshit your giving to us... Join army and fight for your pointless oil...pimp.gif

And that's my opinion. The End

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just another reason to not want anything to do with you Europeans!!Take your players back,i don't care!Lets see how good your own league is..Hmm wonder why they all come over here to play instead of staying home. And as far as your Canada statement if you could read i DID say NORTH AMERICA,, But how about this,,,when some country wants to invade you don't go Calling the USA for help because I myself am tired of bailing your butts out of every JAM you get into. Remember we don't need any of your countries but you all NEED US !!!!

USA,,,,USA......USA,,,,USA,,,,USA,,,,USA,,,,USA,,,,,

Ummmmm...wow.  Over-react much?  While I don't necessarily agree with several of the notes of hostility in SaunaCrew's post, I kind of feel the need to clarify that not all Americans have this particular "philosophy" regarding Europe and/or Europeans.  Certainly I love my home country but this kind of attitude is embarrassing.

I'm seriously self-editing here and have deleted much of what I originally wrote/thought/felt because it seems dj has a bit of a short fuse and I refuse to get mired down in any drama but I just couldn't let this sit out there and let people think this is representative of the US as a whole or even as a majority.  Trust me - it's not.

Edited by k-rad

Yea I get your point. I also love my home country and also I can't stand arrogant people like him for an example. So I hope you see the reason why I can't let him say whatever he wants without atleast defending my dear Finland and also Europe. So first of all Europe isn't one big country. It's more like your asking help from us nowadays, it's not WW2 anymore. Wow how stupid you are? They pay a lot more money in NHL than any other league. And also most of the americans are from europe, please tell me your not indian and you live in a little cottage. I can't see why you hate europeans and also Europe that much dj. Personaly I'd love to live in North-America that I would be able to see some games live and not wait till 2 am to see few games, it would also be a nice devlopent for my english language skillls. smile.gif oh and if I'm right Chine almost owns ya...

Wow, I check back on this thread and find there's a major snarl in front of the net.  From a fan standpoint I think it's a pretty cool idea.  But that would only hold if we played in Finland.  There's a common thread for both countries given our 3 Fins are proving to be great additions to the team.  That would have to be fun for those three.  Plus it gives the Canes some exposure in both countries.  From a team standpoint I think Remkins summed that up quite nicely in an earlier thread.  But, since Forslund has indicated it's close to being a done deal then why not enjoy it?  Oh....that's right.....we fight that idea in these parts.

Look at all the teams that have started in Europe the past two seasons. The majority have terrible starts. And if I am correct everyone from last year ended up firing their coaches. Can't see this helping our chances.

Look at all the teams that have started in Europe the past two seasons. The majority have terrible starts. And if I am correct everyone from last year ended up firing their coaches. Can't see this helping our chances.
One of the teams that started in Europe last year also won the Cup. 

We didn't start in Europe in either year and we have had terrible starts both years.  We didn't start in Europe last year and we fired our coach too.  With that said, I think you have it backwards.  Perhaps starting in Europe will change it up for us!

May I suggest some of you fine hockey fans tone it down? As long as comments are within the TOS everyone is entitled to their opinion... even if you do not share the same opinion. There is no reason to get personal and to start baiting each other.

May I suggest some of you fine hockey fans tone it down? As long as comments are within the TOS everyone is entitled to their opinion... even if you do not share the same opinion. There is no reason to get personal and to start baiting each other.

Thanks for taking care of that.  I was hoping one of the mods was going to do some house cleaning on this thread.  And now that you have, and in the interest of keeping it drama-free and on-topic around here, I'm going to delete mine because there's really no need for it to be there anymore  smile.gif

I'm already working the husband for a trip back over here next fall.  God knows, we certainly have enough frequent flier miles to cover it!  It would be so fun to see an NHL game here.  There are quite a lot of serious hockey and NHL fans in this part of the world and I bet it would be a great crowd atmosphere.  Even when we went to see a small local team play here just outside Brussels, the crowd was awesome and the skill level of the players was definitely NHL calibre.  (The team we saw was a Belgian equivalent of the team the Finns came from...)

Plus, it's a great time of year to try and catch the Northern Lights in Norway, Iceland, Finland, etc....  One of the items on our 'Things to Do Before We Die" list!

Wow ,can't believe that posts get deleted because they aren't PC enough. Shows why we are where we are!!mad.gif,,,But to stay "ON TOPIC' , I still say that the games and money should stay here. Yes it would be a great trip to go on (if i ever could afford it) but to take the money away from Cities here(USA) where we are all struggling to me is not a smart thing to do.