The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Faceoff-ch1

Canes may open 10-11 season in Europe

but to take the money away from Cities here(USA) where we are all struggling to me is not a smart thing to do.

Depends on how you look at it.  No preseason games and a couple of regular season games would come off the season ticket holder prices.  That help folks out too.

[quote name='Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

djharley']

but to take the money away from Cities here(USA) where we are all struggling to me is not a smart thing to do.

Depends on how you look at it.  No preseason games and a couple of regular season games would come off the season ticket holder prices.  That help folks out too.

I'd be willing to place a little bet on that.  Those of us that locked in at the season ticket price will be paying the same thing next season for less hockey.  If they do that, they should have extra vouchers, but I doubt that too.

The only way I would be behind this idea would be if we played in Finland.  Other than that, it makes no sense.  I know the league is trying to build a world wide brand, but they can't (or won't) even market the sport successfully in America.  That's a whole thread of it's own.

Keep your head up dj.

U-S-A     U-S-A    U-S-A

[quote name='super-dave-1 wrote:

Faceoff-ch1 wrote:

djharley']

Depends on how you look at it. 
No preseason games and a couple of regular season games would come off the season ticket holder prices.
  That help folks out too.

I'd be willing to place a little bet on that.  Those of us that locked in at the season ticket price will be paying the same thing next season for less hockey.  If they do that, they should have extra vouchers, but I doubt that too.

The only way I would be behind this idea would be if we played in Finland.  Other than that, it makes no sense.  I know the league is trying to build a world wide brand, but they can't (or won't) even market the sport successfully in America.  That's a whole thread of it's own.

Keep your head up dj.

U-S-A     U-S-A    U-S-A

I would take that bet.  Everyone knows what they pay per game for their season tickets.  The paperwork for the renewal outlines the "per game price" as well as the total.   The org does some stupid things, but I don't think (I would hope) they are not that stupid to give us a per game ticket increase after they committed to a locked in price.  That would really PO the fans who provide the highest commitment to the team - the full season ticket holders.  They need to find new incentives to get fans to re-up this year, duping us on last year's commitment would be foolish. 

There is talk out of the Wild org that they may be playing in Finland and we have been including in those conversations because of our players but it's just talk at this point.

It would make sense if we played in Finland that it would be against the Wild, as they have a Finnish contingent in Koivu, Miettinen, and Backstrom.  Talk on their boards is those players were really excited about it.  There fans seemed to have some of the same comments as I've read here.

This statement may not bode well for my future here but...  There is a big difference between "un-pc" and "ignorant and/or offensive".  Some comments made by both parties were from the second of those two categories.  That is all.

You know I'm not sure that herring and some nice lakes would be enough to justify the cost of a trip to Finland on one's own. It would be pretty cool though if the team put something together that allowed fans who would be fanatic enough to take the cost and jet lag of such a trip, to have some kind of involvement with the players/coaches/etc. Be able to go to a meeting or a dinner or something. Probably still not make that trip, but would make me think about it.

Gotta see Finland sometime. OK maybe not gotta, but might as well.

This statement may not bode well for my future here but...  There is a big difference between "un-pc" and "ignorant and/or offensive".  Some comments made by both parties were from the second of those two categories.  That is all.
With all due respect and not trying to take sides here but the original post that started this whole thing was a simple response with an opinion, and was in no way meant to be political.  After which an unwarranted response insulted the good old US of A.  I didn't respond, but I did take offense to this NEW posters comments after it became apparent he had taken things out of context.  It went downhill from there and posts were deleted.

I suggest you ease up a bit and let it go.  We still live here.

Just to put things in context for you, the original post was a simple opinion.  It was the responding poster who sought to make it a political theme and got the whole thing started.  I hope you have a happy holiday......in Belguim.

I doesn't matter  what you think of me, I could careless , but your" ignorant and /or offensive "statement   is just that in itself! But to get back on topic ,I just don't see any benefit from playing a game anywhere else in the world other than the countries that have NHL teams. Who knows we may not have any Finns on the team next year,not probable but possible. I just don't see what the benefit is??

ok so lets put it in terms americans won't probably understand but it's a good enough metaphor anyway. Lets look at it like soccer, we have the MLS, nowhere near the talent level of european teams but an occasional great player on a team makes it seem better than it is. This is like what hockey is in Europe. Now wouldn't it be great for a country like Finland, which is about the size of Montana, meaning most of the people are within driving distance of a game, could get two teams from the best league in the world. That would be like if we got Manchester United to play, say, Barcelona here in the US. It probably has no great effect to the two countries where those teams are from but to the fans here in the US it would be huge. It would also help to grow the teams fan base to places where there normally wouldn't be one. So maybe the benefit is not for the fan of the hurricanes here in NC but for those outside of our borders. Imagine that, a benefit for someone else other than ourselves.

Here's another possible benefit. Imagine a 10 year old Finnish kid, he lives to play hockey, he would love to watch the NHL, however the games are at 2 in the morning when they might be on. Then one day he hears that they are going to bring two teams that he has dreamed of seeing to his home country to play. Imagine how excited he would be to see some of his national heroes playing for their NHL teams in his own backyard. Long story short, this boy goes to the game becomes a huge Hurricanes fan, and one day when he becomes the greatest player in the world might actually consider signing a free agent deal with us. ok so the end was cheesy but still, sometimes you need to look past what benefits you and think about how it might benefit someone else. And people are people no matter where they are born or live, grow up and show some respect for people.

ok so lets put it in terms americans won't probably understand ....

10Dollar, you make some very good points and I agree.  However, your opening statement sucks.  Kinda like the dribble coming from that Euro dude that got this whole thing started to begin with.  I'm getting about sick of this crap. 

While DJ may have went a little overboard in his reponse, his original post (at least the way I read it) was harmless and was only intended to voice his opinion about taking dollars from home and taking them abroad, particularly in this economic climate.  I hope this thing gets locked soon because I'm not going to take any more bashing to the good old US of A.  We certainly aren't perfect, but we do like it here.

I hear Finlands nice too.  My grandfather probably would have liked to see it too, but he got shot by some Germans while trying to liberate Holland. 

From what I have read, it looks like we will be playing the Wild in Helsinki.  Also, Bruins v. Coyotes in Prague and Sharks v. Blue Jackets in Stockholm.

I read about the Bruins from TSN, but where have you read about us?  Just curious.  I would LOVE to go to Finland.  Besides seeing hockey there, I want be able to visit the country of my favorite players.  This means I really need to do better with my Finnish than I am.  I'm slowly learning though.

That brings me to the question: Where could I purchase tickets for those games and where do I get facts on when exactly they're being played? Through the last years, I got to know these things not before all tickets were sold already...

That brings me to the question: Where could I purchase tickets for those games and where do I get facts on when exactly they're being played? Through the last years, I got to know these things not before all tickets were sold already...

I'm sure the NHL would announce a time, but not sure if it would be Finland time, about six hours ahead of us or US time.  If I remember correctly, those Finns snatched those tickets up fairly quickly, so if it's Finn time, you may want to set your clock to get up and be aware of the Euro conversion.  The tickets may be on line in Euro and not US dollars if they are sold in Finland.  Not really sure how that works, just guess work on my part.

There is also a possibilty that the Canes may be allotted so many tickets and like what Detroit did, offer packages.  That would be awesome.  I really want to go to Finland to watch the games, but to also see the country.  I'm hoping that this does happen and the package prices aren't too expensive.

Well, living in germany, I'm in europe already, so I got no problem with Finn time^^

However, I hope I get aware of the facts early enough, maybe I would take the travel to Helsinki then, as it's much more in reach to see the canes as is Raleigh/USA (at least for me).

I sorta had a thought you may have been over in Europe with your screen name, but I didn't want to assume it.  LOL

I would probably keep an eye out after they make the official announcement.  : )