The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canes-in-7

team canada announced -staal makes it

Here's how Team Canada breaks down so far:

Defence

Dan Boyle, Ottawa, Ont. (San Jose Sharks)

Drew Doughty, Ottawa, Ont. (LA Kings)

Duncan Keith, Penticton, B.C. (Chicago Blackhawks)

Scott Niedermayer, Cranbrook, B.C. (Anaheim Ducks) - Captain

Chris Pronger, Dryden, Ont. (Philadelphia Flyers) - Alternate captain

Brent Seabrook, Tsawwassen, B.C. (Chicago Blackhawks)

Shea Weber, Sicamous, B.C. (Nashville Predators)

Wow no bouwmesiter or phenuf a suprise...

Here's how Team Canada breaks down:

Forwards

Patrice Bergeron, L'Ancienne-Lorette, Que. (Boston Bruins)

Sidney Crosby, Cole Harbour, N.S. (Pittsburgh Penguins) Alternate captain

Ryan Getzlaf, Regina, Sask. (Anaheim Ducks)

Dany Heatley, Calgary, Alta. (San Jose Sharks)

Jarome Iginla, St. Albert, Alta. (Calgary Flames) Alternate captain

Patrick Marleau, Aneroid Sask. (San Jose Sharks)

Brenden Morrow, Carlyle, Sask. (Dallas Stars)

Rick Nash, Brampton, Ont. (Columbus Blue Jackets)

Mike Richards, Kenora, Ont. (Philadelphia Flyers) 

Corey Perry, Peterborough, Ont. (Anaheim Ducks)

Eric Staal, Thunder Bay, Ont. (Carolina Hurricanes)

Joe Thornton, St. Thomas, Ont. (San Jose Sharks)

Jonathan Toews, Winnipeg, Man. (Chicago Blackhawks)

I can't believe he made it. Perfect timing as he is now healthy and his game is back on track. I'm gonna get a Team Canada jersey with his name on it!!!  

Staal does have a knack for performing his best when it counts the most. Just look at his playoff record. What a young team we have. It's like Canada Juniors team but graduated. I'm excited for Feb. 

I can't believe he made it. Perfect timing as he is now healthy and his game is back on track. I'm gonna get a Team Canada jersey with his name on it!!!
Yeah some sweet jersey's.. got a cole USA one in 2006 that really like

Elisa Testa and Cole MacEwen give the thumbs-up to Canada's new Olympic hockey jerseys. The pair modelled the jerseys during a press conference Monday at Vancouver's UBC arena.

now starts the complaints from the vinnie camp, jeff carter, mike fischer( his future wife has to count doesn't it?), st.louis, shane doan, ryan smith etc etc..

glad Staal made it and don't have to be on outisde complaining..

Ah no Wardo... Well lets hope USA gets the Gold, Canada the Silver and Finland the Bronze.
Not with the time off due to injury.  Also, Luongo at home in Vancouver made it a long shot without the injury.  I'd still take Wardo over Luongo or Fluery, but that is another thread.....

Eric Staal Selected to Canadian Olympic Team

Forward has 21 points in 16 games since returning from injury this season

Wednesday, 12.30.2009 / 10:47 AM / News

By Terrell Williams

RALEIGH, NC—Hockey Canada today announced the roster for its Men’s Ice Hockey team for the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver. Hurricanes forward Eric Staal was named to the 23-man roster. Canada opens play on Feb. 16 against Norway.

Staal, 25, leads the Hurricanes with 26 points (8g, 18a) this season, despite missing 10 games with an upper-body injury from Nov. 4-Nov. 23. Since returning from that injury, the Thunder Bay, Ont., native has totaled five goals and 16 assists (21 points) in 16 games. Prior to missing time this season, Staal had played in 349 consecutive games for Carolina, the longest consecutive games played streak for the franchise since it relocated to North Carolina. Drafted by the Hurricanes with the second-overall selection in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, Staal has totaled 172 goals and 212 assists (384 points) in 438 career regular-season games with the Hurricanes. He has notched 19 goals and 24 assists (43 points) in 43 career Stanley Cup playoff games for Carolina, helping the Hurricanes capture the Stanley Cup in 2006 and reach the Eastern Conference Finals in 2009.

Staal has yet to make his Olympic debut for Canada, though he served on his home country’s “taxi squad” during the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy. He helped Canada capture the gold medal at the 2007 IIHF World Championships and the silver medal at the 2008 IIHF World Championships. Staal is one of just six NHL players to have 30-plus goals in each of the last four seasons (2005-06 through 2008-09), and has appeared in three consecutive NHL All-Star games, earning Most Valuable Player honors at the 2008 NHL All-Star Game in Atlanta

I think Staal making it in 2010 is more about Team Canada repaying him for sitting on the Taxi Squad in 2006 when he had a fabulous season, deserved to be on the ice, and was in the stands instead than it is on Staal's accomplishments to date this season.

That said, with final decisions going down to the wire, Staal picked the right time to have a huge game playing on the wing. That might've helped change him from a no to a yes, especially as Canada has said that someone like Staal would have to shift to the wing if they were going to make this squad due to the glut of centers.

The younger brothers didn't make it though. There goes the warm and fuzzy fluff pieces that would've been hyped like mad during the games.

Great to see we'll be well represented on many of the squads.

L

I think Staal making it in 2010 is more about Team Canada repaying him for sitting on the Taxi Squad in 2006 when he had a fabulous season, deserved to be on the ice, and was in the stands instead than it is on Staal's accomplishments to date this season.

That said, with final decisions going down to the wire, Staal picked the right time to have a huge game playing on the wing. That might've helped change him from a no to a yes, especially as Canada has said that someone like Staal would have to shift to the wing if they were going to make this squad due to the glut of centers.

The younger brothers didn't make it though. There goes the warm and fuzzy fluff pieces that would've been hyped like mad during the games.

Great to see we'll be well represented on many of the squads.

L

Good point on him being a good soldier and on taxi squad in 2006...

Glad Staal was so honored, desrvedly so, but as a Canes' fan, I would prefer he take the time off, given his injury situation. Congrats Eric. Just hope it does not come back to haunt the Canes.
Actually may also be very beneficial, Staal finally seems healthy, so not worried about that- and many times hear players talk about how playing with other top players rises their game, and makes them even better by the standards these guy play with.. So IMO, this could be really be something for staal to see how good the iginla's, crosby, etcetc are and how much he still has to go to be an Elite player and uses this as inspiration to take his game to the next level of these Players.

Well some pretty knowledgeable hockey minds think pretty highly of our young star. Hmmmm. Perhaps the "Staal isn't all that" contingent will die down a bit. Good for Eric, good for us. The experience can only help him and we aren't going anywhere this year anyway. Ward in '14.

Well some pretty knowledgeable hockey minds think pretty highly of our young star. Hmmmm. Perhaps the "Staal isn't all that" contingent will die down a bit. Good for Eric, good for us. The experience can only help him and we aren't going anywhere this year anyway. Ward in '14.
i hope so, though doubt it unfort.

here's to hoping for a great olympics for him!

i dont think the team is very defensive minded... maybe just brendan morrow, and the Defensemen, but those forwards are pretty offensive minded.... in my opinion anyway. the talk up here in vancouver is about phaneuf, boumeester, and ryan smyth not making it. everyone seems to like staal on the team. Huge excitement up here!

jeff

I just can't imagine how they can go and take the top line in the NHL (Heatley,Thornton, Marleau) and have that be their third line, this team is stacked from top to bottom, I don't see many teams having a chance against them, hopefully the US team can put something out there to at least compete with them, maybe Patrick Kane can make a miracle happen. Although maybe the czechs can do some damage behind the leadership of Big Joe Vasicek.

i dont think the team is very defensive minded... maybe just brendan morrow, and the Defensemen, but those forwards are pretty offensive minded.... in my opinion anyway. the talk up here in vancouver is about phaneuf, boumeester, and ryan smyth not making it. everyone seems to like staal on the team. Huge excitement up here!

jeff

yeah really suprised BOTH phaneuf and boumeister didn't make it.. Smyth a little long in tooth now