The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

Leighton Records 4th Career Shutout Against Rangers (12/30/09)

While I do believe that Michael Leighton was kinda hosed, I had seen enough to know I didn't want him playing here, but anyway back to the point of my post, I wish him luck at keeping his job in the coming weeks when emery comes back, he certainly is out to prove something.   But shouldn't this be in the around the league category since he doesn't play here.  Not trying to be a stickler, but yes I am.  

I think there were many factors that caused him not to do well here. He is a nice guy. I'm glad he has a good chance there because all goalies are injured. And he really shows that he got potentials. Good luck Michael. By the way, I think last week or some, Flyers was the 14th in Eastern Conference and the fans really got mad and talked about how suck they did. After that, Michael has helped them to win 4 games in a row and now they are the 8th.

Until the third period of today's game, Leighton had a 154 minute shutout streak.  He actually has a winning record now.  Glad to see he is doing well with Philly, but I can honestly say I never saw this coming.

Until the third period of today's game, Leighton had a 154 minute shutout streak.  He actually has a winning record now.  Glad to see he is doing well with Philly, but I can honestly say I never saw this coming.

I think he is on a "hot streak", but he will crash and burn I am sorry to say.

[quote name='hockeybaby wrote:

MarkyMarkNC']Until the third period of today's game, Leighton had a 154 minute shutout streak.  He actually has a winning record now.  Glad to see he is doing well with Philly, but I can honestly say I never saw this coming.

I think he is on a "hot streak", but he will crash and burn I am sorry to say.

I will have to disagree with you, he is better than you are giving him credit for.  We just didn't manage him right! *cough* *cough* Mo!

He is a career AHL'er, just look at his stats. He looks good behind Philly's defense, and he's playing for his career. They didn't manage him right? He was the backup goalie for Cam Ward, it's not like we are talking about a prospect here. I feel much better about having Legace there than Leighton.

He is a career AHL'er, just look at his stats. He looks good behind Philly's defense, and he's playing for his career. They didn't manage him right? He was the backup goalie for Cam Ward, it's not like we are talking about a prospect here. I feel much better about having Legace there than Leighton.
I won't argue that to some degree (Legace) but Mo has frequently mismanaged goalies, run them in the ground.  I have often preferred the Lavi method of playing until you fail and then put the next guy in, have the goalies fighting for ice time.

I won't argue that to some degree (Legace) but Mo has frequently mismanaged goalies, run them in the ground.  I have often preferred the Lavi method of playing until you fail and then put the next guy in, have the goalies fighting for ice time.

I know what you mean, and that is a good method when you have a solid backup (typically, a former starter like Grahame or Legace). But if you look back, while Grahame played a few more games his first year (when he had a decent record), in his second year he only had 12 starts, with Cam starting almost all the games in the second half after Grahame was sent down. This was also around the same time they hired Barasso as goalie coach. From that run, I think they decided that the best way to develop Ward (and he was still developing at the time, some would argue he still is) was to let him play as much as possible. That allowed for Leighton to come in and start 10-15 games a year. Problem is, Leighton didn't do well when given that much time off. He did OK last year, but looked really rough this year, and when Cam went down JR saw an opportunity with Legace and took it. It didn't help that Leighton was already nursing an injury.

Ward can be streaky, it seems he needs the workload to keep himself in the groove. The record he has in the second half of back-to-backs proves this out. Problem is, that is the typical time for starting your backup.

With Legace, it will be interesting to see if they rest Ward more often. I'm guessing they will, but then again he's started all but one game since he came back from the injury.

But my point is, I don't think you can say they mismanaged Leighton, it's more that Leighton didn't fit into the goalie management system in place here, and didn't have the skills needed to succeed in that system.

Well, either the old Leights showed up today against Ottawa or he's just having a bad day. Time will tell...  

Edit:  Nevermind...  Just watched the highlights and they pulled Leights after they scored twice in the 1st.  Boucher had the other 5 against (not that Phillies turnovers didn't help those numbers add up.)

Maybe he responds to a coach who shows some "faith" in him. He won again tonight against Pittsburgh.

But the #1 netminder is getting ready to come back----so I guess we will see. I wish Leighton well.

The Flyers are much more aggressive and score more with Lavi also.

I wonder what Lavi would have done with our current team? We dont talk about this much

but I don't think we have had our whole team on the ice for a game this season. (secondary to

injuries) I guess that statement belongs in a different thread?

he might actually finish the season with more wins, a better SAV% and GAA than Cam. Not that he is a better goalie but it just goes to show what can happen if your coach has a little faith in you.

according to what i pulled off of TSN.CA Leights now has a better record:

Cam - 6W, 15L, and 5OTL's save%.900 and a GAA of 3.06

Leights 7W, 4L, 1OTL and 1SOL a save% .895 and a GAA of 3.13

for those that don't think a coach makes a difference.