The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Appstatecanesfan

Gleason misses out on being chosen for team USA

here is the list of invitees:

i'd say  its close.. raflaski, ryan suter,ryan whitney,eric johnson pretty sure things

with oprik,hainsey, gleason scuderi in mix

Invitees to Team USA Summer Orientation Camp:

Goaltenders: Ryan Miller, Jonathan Quick, Tim Thomas

Defencemen: Tom Gilbert, Tim Gleason, Ron Hainsey, Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Mike Komisarek, Paul Martin, Brooks Orpik, Brian Rafalski, Rob Scuderi, Ryan Suter, Ryan Whitney

Forwards: David Backes, David Booth, Dustin Brown, Dustin Byfuglien, Ryan Callahan, Chris Drury, Scott Gomez, Patrick Kane, Ryan Kesler, Phil Kessel, Jamie Langenbrunner, Ryan Malone, Mike Modano, Kyle Okposo, T.J. Oshie, Zach Parise, Joe Pavelski, Bobby Ryan, Paul Stastny

I wouldn't get my hopes up, or listen too intently to what Tripp Tracy says.

most days,  root canal is less painful than listening to tripp : )

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/263712.html

RALEIGH -- The Carolina Hurricanes' Eric Staal, Tuomo Ruutu and Joni Pitkanen have been chosen to compete in the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver and will get their shots at a gold medal.

Can defenseman Tim Gleason make it a foursome?

The Olympic roster for Team USA will be announced today, and Gleason hopes his name will be called. He attended the U.S. Olympic orientation camp in August and has put together a solid, productive season for the Canes.

"I think my chances are 50-50," Gleason said. "I've think I've played well enough ... to make them think twice or whatever the case is.

"If that's the case, obviously I'd be honored to do so. If not, then that's the way she goes. You get 10 days off."

Oh man, if Jack Johnson doesnt tick ya off how about Orpunk making it...

Our forward depth is weak, might be a painful olympics. Thank god Timmy Thomas is our man, the guy has proven he can stand on his head.

Jack Johnson is TIED for the WORST plus/minus on his team, at minus 11. MINUS 11! On a solid Kings team! What the puck! Just knew this was gonna happen. Burke makes a terrible decision.

Ryan Miller has proven that a team with little scoring talent can go far when they have him on it. GO USA!

Gleason will make it in 2014. Hes having a career year right now, and is becoming a fan favorite, replacing the hole that Mike Commodore left us. Tim Gleason Facial Stitches Makeup anyone?

EDIT; Personally its team U.S.A's loss. Unlike the Jussi Jokinen/Finland though, its not a blatant/@%* loss. Tim Gleason will not be dearly missed, unfortunatly. I fell that down the line, Finland will regret not picking up Jokinen.

Timmy mentioned this in the interview, about "youth movement", and whether he at 26 didn't qualify.  He had a hint and hunch, and it was right.

Another poke in the eye to Carolina this year, in a year full of sharp pokes.

Oh man, if Jack Johnson doesnt tick ya off how about Orpunk making it...

I just shook my head when they named those two. 

Jack Johnson is TIED for the WORST plus/minus on his team, at minus 11. MINUS 11! On a solid Kings team! What the puck! Just knew this was gonna happen. Burke makes a terrible decision.
Burke must have heard about all his potential. Johnson has tons of international played experience. Gleason, not so much.

I'm sorry but there is no way I can pull for a team that picks Jack Johnson over any number of other solid D-men  Johnson has a -11 for a Kings team that is having a solid year.  Tim Gleason is only a -4 on a Hurricanes team having a terrible year.  Having only a -4 as a defenseman on this team is pretty unbelieveable.  Go Team Canada and Go Team Finland!!!!!  Please whoop the USA and show Burke how stupid his choices on this team were.  Of course I'm not worried too much when you compare the US lineup with that of Canada and Russia.  USA is playing for bronze and would be VERY lucky to achieve that.

Wow, way to dump your country. While I am not happy that they picked ole Jack, I am not going to turn my back on my homeland. This will be the only time I root for him to do well, although if he gets hurt and can't go I won't be sad.

UGGGHH!!

As someone posted the irony of jack fricken johnson making it over gleason, just another mythos in this 2009-2010 season of crapola..

but, while sucks.. its still USA!.. USA!.. USA!...

A portion of Brian Burke's resume

....In the 1992–93 season, he left that job to become General Manager of the Hartford Whalers. He was fired after one year in Hartford ....

His Wikipedia page should be updated to read, "Burke went on to select Jack Johnson a player with less heart than Tim Gleason, and Brooks Oprik a player with less class than Tim Gleason to represent America in the 2010 Olympics."

Well, sorry to be unpatriotic, but I have a hard time rooting for Jack Johnson, Orprick, and Sabre Miller... I prefer Staal and Brodeur and the Canadians.. just from a personnel standpoint. I'd rather see Eric with a gold medal than those others. Would be a nice career achievement to have a Stanley Cup and Olympic Gold. Sorry USA...

Oh And can someone explain WHy paul martin is on the team?..he's been injured in 2009, JUST HAD SURGERY LAST WEEK, why would they choose a player that just had surgery( agree if he's healthy, but not now), is put ahead of gleason? even if the surgery is susccessful, at BEST he isn't in game shape or ued to playing anymore by olympic time

Jan 1 D Paul Martin, who underwent surgery on his broken left arm Dec. 23 after the fracture didn't heal, is upset he didn't have the surgery right away, the delay damaging his chances to be sharp for the United States Olympic team. "If we'd done it right away, had surgery, I'd be playing right now," he told the New York Post. He missed his 30th straight game Thursday night.

We all know what we have in Tim Gleason, it is Team USA loss. If Brian Burke can't see what he is missing in not picking Gleason, then he is not only stupid, he is blind. Here is a guy who takes on the other team's best forward and plays them hard i.e. Ovie, and even took a puck to the face, went to the dressing room, got stitched up and return to the ice.

Why in the world would Burke pick a guy who has missed 30 games due to a broken arm, has just gone under surgery for it and you got a healthy guy like Gleason available?

It makes me want to cheer for Eric Staal and Team Canada or Team Finland.

Wow, way to dump your country. While I am not happy that they picked ole Jack, I am not going to turn my back on my homeland. This will be the only time I root for him to do well, although if he gets hurt and can't go I won't be sad.

A-men, I don't care if team USA is completely made up of the entire Buffalo Sabres team (don't know how that would work since most are Canadians and other nationalities).  I'll never pull for anyone over our own team

GO USA

Gleason would have had a much better chance if he was on a better team. I would never question his leadership, but I bet Burke didn't give the top shut down D man on the NHL's worst team a lot of consideration.

As much as the lack of Gleason in the roster hurts, it amazes me that Burke also neglected to bring back Gomez, Guerin, and Modano.  Leaving Tim out is stupid... but snubbing the rest of the afore mentioned just proves Burke's epic fail.  Congrats on making Americans pull for Canada, Brian. (*not me)

As much as the lack of Gleason in the roster hurts, it amazes me that Burke also neglected to bring back Gomez, Guerin, and Modano.  Leaving Tim out is stupid... but snubbing the rest of the afore mentioned just proves Burke's epic fail.  Congrats on making Americans pull for Canada, Brian. (*not me)

Ok, I may get on board with your argument of not bringing back Modano, and maybe even Guerin, but Gomez?  Gomez is the hackiest of the hacks since the hacks left Hackville.  Most overrated, and one of the most over payed players in the NHL.  He should be making league minimum at max.