The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The Race for the #1 pick in 2010!

I don't think finishing last in the league guarantees you the #1 pick. We were the worst team in 2002-2003 and we got the #2 pick that season. Pittsburgh finished #29 and got the #1 pick that year and grabbed Fleury, while we got Staal. We have NOT to traded away our 1st round pick for 2010, but we have traded away our 4th round pick to Boston for A. Ward and our 5th round pick to Nashville for Hordichuk.

Here is how the bottom five finished that season:

#26 Buffalo- 72pts

#27 Florida- 70pts

#28 Columbus- 69pts

#29 Pittsburgh- 65pts

#30 Carolina- 61pts

And here was the draft order for the 2003 draft:

#1 Pittsburgh- Fleury  (from Florida Panthers)

#2 Carolina- Staal

#3 Florida- Horton (from Pittsburgh Penguins)

#4 Columbus- Zherdev

#5 Buffalo- Vanek

[quote name=hopper915]I don't think finishing last in the league guarantees you the #1 pick.

You're right, definitely no guarantee but at least it'll be entertaining following the race for last place.  I think we're quite a ways from any magic numbers though.

It doesn't guarantee us the # 1 pick but it guarantees us the highest chance (48.2%) of getting the first pick of any team.  It also guarantees us no worse than the 2nd pick and that worked out just fine for us in 2003.  So I'm on this bandwagon too.

Interesting stat:  For the last 13 drafts, the last place team retained the first pick only FOUR times. 

Even if we are to get slighted and get #2, I think this year's draft is deep enough that we should come out with a pretty good player, hopefully even one that can make an immediate impact.  However, given the track record that Maurice and Co. has with young players, it could be Sidney Crosby and he'll either be in Albany for a few years or be stuck on the 4th line for awhile.

Even if we are to get slighted and get #2, I think this year's draft is deep enough that we should come out with a pretty good player, hopefully even one that can make an immediate impact.  However, given the track record that Maurice and Co. has with young players, it could be Sidney Crosby and he'll either be in Albany for a few years or be stuck on the 4th line for awhile.

Hopefully, Mo will be gone by then.

Games of interest for 1/2/10

Leafs @ Flames   7pm

Avs @ Bluejackets   7pm

Edmonton @ San Jose  10pm

Games of interest for 1/2/10

Leafs @ Flames   7pm

Avs @ Bluejackets   7pm

Edmonton @ San Jose  10pm

Like this in a weird way: the inverse of cheering for teams loses to help the Canes make the playoffs. Have to become an Oil, Leafs, Bluejacket fans for a night.

[quote name='colliefan wrote:

TSA
']
Games of interest for 1/2/

Leafs
@ Flames   7pm

Avs @
Bluejackets
   7pm

Edmonton
@ San Jose  10pmLike this in a weird way: the inverse of cheering for teams loses to help the Canes make the playoffs. Have to become an Oil, Leafs, Bluejacket fans for a night.

It is a little backward in thinking but hey, we need to be creative about making our own entertainment this season.

So far the Lightning and the Isles have taken care of business but unfortunately the BlueJackets, Leafs and the Blues didn't get the memo from the Canes front office.  Maybe Edmonton will be the team players we know they can be and help counter our win today at MSG.

Whatever the outcome, winning in OT at MSG was well worth it.

And what's this? Scott Burnside from the ESPN power rankings moved the Canes up to the 28th spot over Edmonton and Columbus.  Unacceptable angry.gif

car.gif 28 (30) Hurricanes 9-22-7 The Hurricanes showed spunk in coming back against Philadelphia on Saturday, but the results remain the same -- a loss, albeit in the shootout.
edm.gif 29 (27) Oilers 15-19-4 The only thing keeping the sliding Oilers out of 30th place is Columbus. The Oil have followed an impressive five-game winning streak on the road with six straight losses. Brutal.
cls.gif 30 (26) Blue Jackets 14-18-7 Our worst team in the league and getting worse by the minute; they've won just once in 13 December outings.

So far the Lightning and the Isles have taken care of business but unfortunately the BlueJackets, Leafs and the Blues didn't get the memo from the Canes front office.  Maybe Edmonton will be the team players we know they can be and help counter our win today at MSG.

And what's this? Scott Burnside from the ESPN power rankings moved the Canes up to the 28th spot over Edmonton and Columbus.  Unacceptable angry.gif

car.gif 28 (30) Hurricanes 9-22-7 The Hurricanes showed spunk in coming back against Philadelphia on Saturday, but the results remain the same -- a loss, albeit in the shootout.
edm.gif 29 (27) Oilers 15-19-4 The only thing keeping the sliding Oilers out of 30th place is Columbus. The Oil have followed an impressive five-game winning streak on the road with six straight losses. Brutal.
cls.gif 30 (26) Blue Jackets 14-18-7 Our worst team in the league and getting worse by the minute; they've won just once in 13 December outings.
Yes. This is what I have been posting. The race for the bottom takes serious badness. Any winning streaks must be followed by even worse losing streaks. There will always be a team or two that just nose dives at the end. We must never lose sight of the goal of losing sight of the goal.

Not sure about the road win in OT. A nice single point would have been better. Now we have to lose a few. The Oilers have a pretty rough schedule in January.

[quote name='remkin wrote:

TSA']So far the Lightning and the Isles have taken care of business but unfortunately the BlueJackets, Leafs and the Blues didn't get the memo from the Canes front office.  Maybe Edmonton will be the team players we know they can be and help counter our win today at MSG.

And what's this? Scott Burnside from the ESPN power rankings moved the Canes up to the 28th spot over Edmonton and Columbus.  Unacceptable
angry.gif

car.gif
28 (30)
9-22-7
The Hurricanes showed spunk in coming back against Philadelphia on Saturday, but the results remain the same -- a loss, albeit in the shootout.
edm.gif
29 (27)
15-19-4
The only thing keeping the sliding Oilers out of 30th place is Columbus. The Oil have followed an impressive five-game winning streak on the road with six straight losses. Brutal.
cls.gif
30 (26)
14-18-7
Our worst team in the league and getting worse by the minute; they've won just once in 13 December outings.

Yes. This is what I have been posting. The race for the bottom takes serious badness. Any winning streaks must be followed by even worse losing streaks. There will always be a team or two that just nose dives at the end. We must never lose sight of the goal of losing sight of the goal.

Not sure about the road win in OT. A nice single point would have been better. Now we have to lose a few. The Oilers have a pretty rough schedule in January.

Que sera, sera.  We needed a win over the Rags in their house, if for nothing else, to avenge the two losses to them in our house.  We're ok, schedule is tough.  Rags aren't that good this year either, except for Gaborik.

As for the schedule, of course one ultimately needs to look at the whole year, and in the end it has more to do with how badly we play as opposed to who we play, but January is a relatively easy month for us, especially compared with the Oilers. The following does not include the games already played this month.

We have a balanced schedule home vs away with 7/13 at home. The Oilers DO have a nice home advantage with 8/11 at home.

However they are playing much better teams. One disadvantage we have in a race to the bottom with the Oilers and Blue Jackets is that there are more consistently good teams atop the Western Conference than the Eastern Conference, at least at this point.

In January the Oilers have 11 games left. 8/11 are vs. playoff teams and 5/11 are vs the top 4 of each conference (the elite).

In January the Canes have 13 games left. 6/13 are vs playoff teams and 2/13 are vs the top 4 of each conference.

We do have two back to backs vs. none for the Oilers.

The Oilers, however, have played one more game than us. If we were to win that extra game we would be just 5 POINTS ahead of them.

So, if home ice is the main factor we might be ok, but if the opponent is the factor, we will look up in a month and find ourselves out of last with the Oilers there.

The race to be near the bottom is fairly easy, the race to THE bottom and the #1 or #2 guaranteed pick takes serious, sustained losing. Mo must stay!

The race to be near the bottom is fairly easy, the race to THE bottom and the #1 or #2 guaranteed pick takes serious, sustained losing. Mo must stay!

If Mo keeps Brindy ( @-23, ranked 788th and worst in the league ) on the ice when Aaron Ward ( @-17, ranked 781st in the league ) is also out there on the ice, then chances are very verygood @ -40 so far this season that the opposing team WILL SCORE.   This combination when played for over 6 minutes per game just about predicts the Canes a loss and THE spot at THE BOTTOM of the league.

[quote name='ynotagain wrote:

remkin']

If Mo keeps Brindy ( @-23, ranked 788th and worst in the league ) on the ice when Aaron Ward ( @-17, ranked 781st in the league ) is also out there on the ice, then chances are very verygood @ -40 so far this season that the opposing team WILL SCORE.   This combination when played for over 6 minutes per game just about predicts the Canes a loss and THE spot at THE BOTTOM of the league.

I can't follow the probabilities of getting the No. 1 pick, but you've given us something to work with here...

A total -40 by Brind'Amour and A. Ward equates to about net -1 goal per game for the combined 2 players since we've played about that many games.  At 6 minutes per game in a 60 minute game that's 10 goals!  The Canes would have to score 10 goals per game to see overtime/shootout.  eek.gif 

ESPN finally gets it right:

car.gif 30 (30) Hurricanes 11-23-7 Taylor Hall is looking good at the International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship.
but CBS Sports is clearly delusional putting the Canes at 25th:

CAR.gif25 (30)
Eric Staal has picked up 22 points in 18 games since coming back from the injured reserve list.

Reading all the updated power rankings, it looks like it could be a 3-way race to the finish between the Canes, Columbus and Edmonton.

There is alot of hockey left and unfortunately I don't see us staying at the bottom, while we arent anywhere near where we were last year I still think we will put a run together to just get high enough for a 5th or 6th pick in the draft, which will be sad.

Edmonton and Columbus are definitely making a run for it, both are in the midst of epic collapses. Shame too, I was hoping to see Columbus build off of last year. I heard somewhere Mr $4 mil-a-year (Commodore) has been scratched from a few games. I still have faith that we will pull it out, though.

dose boston have torontos draft for this year ? i cause i keep thinking that toronto traded their first round draft to boston ...

1st and 2nd in 2010; 1st in 2011 

yikes ohmy.gif

[quote name='TSA wrote:

Canesfanforever2006']dose boston have torontos draft for this year ? i cause i keep thinking that toronto traded their first round draft to boston ...

1st and 2nd in 2010; 1st in 2011 

yikes ohmy.gif

At least Toronto has less incentive to tank.

On a longer view, looks like once we get our top winger and top draft pick(s) it will be us and Boston battling it out for the top. (Eternal optimist).

Why is everybody wanted the team to loose and get the first draft round pick. I mean it's not like their wont be a player like Crosby, Ovechkin, or another Staal in it? That I know of. I mean I want our boys to win!