The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The Race for the #1 pick in 2010!

Since you guys are 15 points clear of us now, I think it's pretty safe to say we won this race, barring a miracle on both ends. Or Bettman.

You guys are actually poised to escape the bottom 5 of the NHL if you keep it up. Only 1 point back of the Isles/Panthers and 2 points back of the Jackets.

I don't want to sound loopy but if you can keep this streak going, who knows... Maybe playoffs?

Since you guys are 15 points clear of us now, I think it's pretty safe to say we won this race, barring a miracle on both ends. Or Bettman.

You guys are actually poised to escape the bottom 5 of the NHL if you keep it up. Only 1 point back of the Isles/Panthers and 2 points back of the Jackets.

I don't want to sound loopy but if you can keep this streak going, who knows... Maybe playoffs?

With the Canes you just never know. Still improbable but...... Better check back in a couple of weeks because we have some dates with the big boys coming up.

who are the big boys? right now most teams dread us more than we do them
3 games with the Caps,  2 with the Penguins, 1 with the yotes and 1 with the slugs

We also have  1 with the B's and 3 with Atlanta the two teams who have the spots we want.

Not saying we can't beat em. We just beat Sens but just saying Caps, Penns and Yotes will tell the tale.

Here is 1 reason why I think we miss the number 1 pick....  "HEART"  and pride...this team is full of it and is now playing with it... There is no pressure on them to win and I have to agree most teams hate to see us coming right now... Look at the last few games... How do you win with a back-up to the back-up goalie or the "new kid in town goalie" ? How do you win after changing your captain mid stream? How do you win games after the GM trades 1/3 of the team.... Here's how... you bring in the kids who have everything to prove and nothing to lose... you bring in a veteran goalie who is able to give you a different prospective on why your team has sucked most of the season and who feels like he is getting the chance of a life time being back in the NHL and is HAPPY to be just playing here... AND you play for the fans and your pride HEART I tell ya... that's why we miss the first round pick and I for 1 am glad to be watching a team that gives a hoot... I'll take heart and grit and determination over the first round pick any day.... GO CANES it's not over till you say it is.....

The Canes are still in the thick of the hunt for a top 3 draft pick. Remember, there is a draft lotto....you can move up as many as 4 spaces, but down no more than 1 space. The Canes still have a decent chance (if the last two games are any indication) of finishing 29th overall.

I was wondering how quickly this thread would get bumped this morning. laugh.gif

If #3 is Cam Fowler, we could certainly use him.  Our defense is going to be so young so they might as well all develop as a unit together.  Maybe this is where all those 2nd round picks will come in handy.

Its disappointing not to have playoffs but at least we're seeing some optimism for the future.

Now is the time to play our young prospects.  McBain, Boychuk, Dwyer, Sampson, Tlusty, etc...  Let's quit messing around and get them some serious icetime.  If that means scratching Brindy, Cole or other dead weight so be it.

Finally, back to reality. Play the kids and start thinking about where Cole and Sammy might go.

Oh and of course how to gracefully move Brind'Amour out and into the front office. Perhaps now to make room for the kids.

It would really benefit the Albany guys who figure to play in Raleigh next year to see as much NHL ice as possible over the remaining games.

Lets see Boychuk, Bowman, Osala, Tlusty, Samson up front. Let others take turns resting their injuries.

Finally, back to reality. Play the kids and start thinking about where Cole and Sammy might go.

Oh and of course how to gracefully move Brind'Amour out and into the front office. Perhaps now to make room for the kids.

It would really benefit the Albany guys who figure to play in Raleigh next year to see as much NHL ice as possible over the remaining games.

Lets see Boychuk, Bowman, Osala, Tlusty, Samson up front. Let others take turns resting their injuries.
I just hope the front office and the coaching staff see the same things we do.  Getting McBain some serious icetime was a start.  I agree with the thought that you start sitting some of those players who may not be in the lineup next year.

Oh and of course how to gracefully move Brind'Amour out and into the front office.

I'm glad at least one other person sees it that way. Saomsonov, I really like the guy....Cole....never should have been brought back from Edmonton, and Brind'amour should have retired 2 years ago. Rutherford HAS to find a way to cut all three of these guys loose in one way or another. All 3 are EASILY replaced by rats...at a $discount.

In addition to Gleason and Pitkanen, forward Jussi Jokinen was also absent from Wednesday’s skate. While Maurice expects Jokinen to play, he also suggested that players with bumps and bruises may be used somewhat more sparingly than normal.

“How we’re going to approach this, we’re still talking about that,” he said. “We’ve got other injury concerns with how many minutes certain guys can take.”

This was Mo's quote at the end of the TTS article on McBain...seems to be that the towel hath been thrown in and we're gonna get a look at our prospects for the rest of the year.  I think it a great decision as we made one incredible try at it but the loss to the Bruins was a dream killer.  Let's see what the guys can do for the remainder of the year and hopefully we end up with 2 high 1st round picks. 

The amazing thing is that even with our truly remarkable run, we are 4 points out of second to last. We won't catch the Oilers, but #29 would be pretty darned good. A little luck (or really no bad luck) in the lottery and we'll be getting an elite player if we just play the kids and take some losses. At this point in the season the pain will be over pretty quick and it will be all sunshine after that.

Spoiler? Why? Who cares (other than Buffalo) who wins this year? What good does it do us to knock this team or that team out? Getting Taylor Hall, that would do us some good. Yes, play hard yada-yada, but in the end lose enough games to get that #29 slot. We're just talking about around 3 more weeks.

The guys have to play to win. Forslund and company have to talk about playing spoiler. But JR is secretly licking his chops, and so am I.

The amazing thing is that even with our truly remarkable run, we are 4 points out of second to last. We won't catch the Oilers, but #29 would be pretty darned good. A little luck (or really no bad luck) in the lottery and we'll be getting an elite player if we just play the kids and take some losses. At this point in the season the pain will be over pretty quick and it will be all sunshine after that.

Spoiler? Why? Who cares (other than Buffalo) who wins this year? What good does it do us to knock this team or that team out? Getting Taylor Hall, that would do us some good. Yes, play hard yada-yada, but in the end lose enough games to get that #29 slot. We're just talking about around 3 more weeks.

The guys have to play to win. Forslund and company have to talk about playing spoiler. But JR is secretly licking his chops, and so am I.

Uh, exuse-em-wa.  It's no secret you are licking your chops. cool.gif  It was just announced Gleason is out for 3 weeks.  That should count for something.

The way I look at it, if we should get the 3rd pick,  we probably can throw in a couple a second round or a couple of 2nd rounders and move up a space or two.   If we get the 4th pick,  I think we are stuck there....  (unless we are lottery winners)

[quote name='coastal_caniac wrote:

remkin']The amazing thing is that even with our truly remarkable run, we are 4 points out of second to last. We won't catch the Oilers, but #29 would be pretty darned good. A little luck (or really no bad luck) in the lottery and we'll be getting an elite player if we just play the kids and take some losses. At this point in the season the pain will be over pretty quick and it will be all sunshine after that.

The guys have to play to win. Forslund and company have to talk about playing spoiler.
But JR is secretly licking his chops, and so am I.

Uh, exuse-em-wa.  It's no secret you are licking your chops. cool.gif  It was just announced Gleason is out for 3 weeks.  That should count for something.

Ouch, that's basically the rest of the season. I never wish for that. But if guys are banged up, no better time to rest while the young'uns play for notice and to develop some NHL chops. If we happen to lose a bunch of games....we'll feel a whole lot better about it on draft day.