The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The Race for the #1 pick in 2010!

There's rumours the Oilers are going to try to get the top 2 draft picks this year. Not sure about that...
Now thats a little greedy. But if you can pull it off..good for you

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

Keith_The_Great']

There's rumours the Oilers are going to try to get the top 2 draft picks this year. Not sure about that...

Now thats a little greedy. But if you can pull it off..good for you

They'd better halt this 2 game win streak they're on then wink.gif

This recent stretch has us back into the fight a bit. There's no way we're catching Edmonton, but Toronto is only 3 points behind us. The bigger thing is that if you win right now, you can go from 3 to 7 or 8 pretty quick. For fans who prefer a top 3 pick, we need to lose the majority of our final 7 games.

For fans who prefer to win and screw the consequences, then just be assured that we might not be seeing a Seguin or Fowler in a Canes sweater in 2010-2011.

For the 2010 NHL Draft, I think Canes will draft 2, the best player to select is Cam Fowler! We need a offensive defenseman! Pick Seguin will be a bad idea, we already have Sutter and Boychuk in the center position.

We'd be nuts to pass on either Hall or Seguin. Boychuk hasn't been playing center for us. A center line of Staal - Sutter - Seguin would give us 3 solid lines similar to the Crosby - Malkin - Staal trio in Pittsburgh.

Winning the draft lottery and getting Hall to play alongside Staal on the 1st line would be epic.

Fowler is sort of in the mix with a number of other prospects in that #3 - #10 range. I'd argue that with McBain playing as well as he is and Pitkanen already an offensive d-man that we need more of a shutdown guy on D.

By the way, interesting little stat I pulled from nhlscap.com showing the winners of the draft lottery since '95.

"WINNERS" OF THE PREVIOUS DRAFT LOTTERIES

1995 - Los Angeles (was 7th, moved to 3rd; Ottawa retained 1st overall pick)

1996 - Ottawa (retained 1st overall pick)

1997 - Boston (retained 1st overall pick)

1998 - Tampa Bay (was 3rd, moved to 1st)*

1999 - Chicago (was 8th, moved to 4th; Tampa Bay retained 1st overall pick)

2000 - NY Islanders (was 5th, moved to 1st)

2001 - Atlanta (was 3rd, moved to 1st)

2002 - Florida (was 3rd, moved to 1st)

2003 - Florida (was 4th, moved to 1st

2004 - Washington (was 3rd, moved to 1st)

2005 - Pittsburgh (all 30 teams had a chance at #1)

2006 - St. Louis (retained 1st overall pick)

2007 - Chicago (was 5th, moved to 1st)

2008 - Tampa Bay (retained 1st overall pick)

As you can see, only 4 teams over this period have retained the top pick when they were the worst team in the league. What's more interesting is that Atlanta, Florida and Washington all went from being 3rd to getting the 1st overall pick between 2001 and 2004. In fact, just as many teams finishing 3rd have jumped to 1st as teams being worst have retained the 1st pick.

So Southeast division teams finishing with the 3rd worst record in the league seem to have some sort of good luck charm. :-)

Which way do you want it?  A team that fights unitl the end? RE : 2 game 7's last year on the road.  OR one that picks when to give up.

It might be nice if you could turn on and off the fight in a team.  Win every game   Regardless.  I personally would be majorly irritated if I went to games and thought the team had packed it in.mad.gif

mad.gif

All this for a pick?  There are no guaranteed Gretsky's out there.mad.gif  I don't pay for season tickets to have a team give up.

Which way do you want it?  A team that fights unitl the end? RE : 2 game 7's last year on the road.  OR one that picks when to give up.

It might be nice if you could turn on and off the fight in a team.  Win every game   Regardless.  I personally would be majorly irritated if I went to games and thought the team had packed it in.mad.gif

mad.gif

All this for a pick?  There are no guaranteed Gretsky's out there.mad.gif  I don't pay for season tickets to have a team give up.

God...Lighten up, Francis. Of course we all want the Canes to do well. At this point, however, the only thing we're playing for is a lower or higher lottery seed so that, hopefully, we will be a better team in the future. We are not playing in the playoffs in a game seven. I too have season's tickets (I've even got my STH card to prove it--with the secret handshake)...please stop the "true fan" indignation.

For the 2010 NHL Draft, I think Canes will draft 2, the best player to select is Cam Fowler! We need a offensive defenseman! Pick Seguin will be a bad idea, we already have Sutter and Boychuk in the center position.

Absolutely not. Hall and Seguin go 1 & 2...no doubt about it. These guys are locks to play next year. Fowler will need "seasoning". We DO NOT need another puck moving defenseman on this team. If JR wants to target a d-man, he needs to target a big solid stay at home guy. Boychuck, is doubtful, to play center at the NHL level. He's not cut out for 4th line duty.

People, I honestly dont get why the Hurricanes are doing what they are doing. If they keep winning they might not even make it into the top five for a shot at Hall or Segein. It is very frustrating. I think right now they are actually out of it with that win over Atlanta last night. The other teams like Florida and the NY Islanders get it, they keep tanking.

If you're going to finish out of the playoffs, you might as well aim for the top.... er, bottom.
We are the Sybil of the hockey world. We don't know from night to night which  personality or incarnation will appear.  To good to be last and not good enough to be 8th. Yet one night we skate like a contender and the next night we skate like losers. Top...er, Bottom. Neither, this team is destined for the middle.

After a brief look at the standings, it appears the Oil has clinched last place.  My sympathy to terrific fans.  Will always remember the Cup series and, in particular Game 7.

Good grief. There are now 5 teams ahead of us for the top picks and we are climbing. We already know we have a nice core. Now stop this winning NOW!

Not to offend anyone here.  We all have a right to an opinion and if your posting on these boards then chances are you are a true fan.  However, I don't think tanking a season is in the best interest for anybody including the fans.  It is about winning but why corrupt the integrity of the Carolina Hurricanes by throwing games?  We are one of the hottest teams in the NHL right now and whether or not we make the playoffs we will still have that mojo going into next season.  This season was plagued with injuries, the most detrimental, in my opinion, being Ward.  I do take my hat off to Legace and Peters.  They have done an exceptional job given the circumstance.  Rutherford has done a very good job of recruiting this season and we do have (4) 2nd rounders at our disposal with a still promising draft ahead, even if we keep winning.  There is a lot of talent to go around in this years draft.

As Ward states in his last 2 post game interviews:
 "At the end of the day this is what we get paid to do and you've got to wear that jersey with some pride and compete."

I personally don't like watching my favorite team play without heart and soul. 

One other note, yes I realize the landscape of hockey is different now but it is an interesting fact:
The 3rd highest goal scorer of all time, Brett Hull, was drafted by the Calgary Flames in 1984 in the 6th round with 117th overall pick.  He didn't enter the NHL for good until 1987.

Are we going to get a Brett Hull, not likely but it's not always about the 1st round.